Do you sympathize with animal rights? (Question of the Day 12-19-10)

• 100 results
astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By astrotriforce
astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By astrotriforce

Bear (hahahaha) with me on this one. I had trouble placing the answers to cover all bases, so just pick whichever sounds the most accurate for you. It's not all taken literally (i.e. I don't mean you REALLY are a PETA member, but that you support the extreme/protesting side of animal rights), etc.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I could point blank shoot a dog in the face with a glock and not feel anything. I voted option D.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

I don't feel comfortable picking any of those options.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MysteriousBob

Where did you get these 'ratings' from? 

I support animal rights, but I'm not a terrorist-supporting lunatic PETA member either. C.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By wefwefasdf

I support hunting but I also think when animals are killed it should be as humanely as possible.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aronman789
TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By TomA

Option C should have been called "Medium Rare Sympathy" HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By BulletproofMonk

C.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

B. I guess. 

I'm not going to tell people they shouldn't hunt, but at the same time I'm not going to pretend to understand why people do it in this day and age.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Skytylz

D. People treat animals with more sympathy than other people now a days.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By FreakAche

There aren't really enough options. I would probably fall between B and C. Sure, I like meat, but I think there are both ethical and unethical ways to handle and subsequently kill the animal.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ragdrazi

A. But fuck PeTA. Fuck them high and hard. Fuck them 'til their heads fall off.

Fuck PeTA.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RVonE
@FreakAche said:
"There aren't really enough options. I would probably fall between B and C. Sure, I like meat, but I think there are both ethical and unethical ways to handle and subsequently kill the animal. "

Yes, that's my stance as well.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By KaosAngel

Fuck that, I fucking eat cows because they're delicious.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#16  Edited By BeachThunder

I like these threads, but honestly, if you're going to continue doing these (and making them interesting/insightful) then you really should start putting a bit more thought into the possible responses :( They always seem silly, inaccurate and/or non-representative of the variety of views people can hold. I chose B btw.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#17  Edited By Sin4profit

Option D should have been "I EAT MY PETS!"

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By one_2nd

C. I hate how in the movies 1k people will get massacred, no one cares; then a dog dies and everyone's all like "awww..." 

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By trophyhunter

Fun to pet better to chew

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

B. Peta are idiots, animals are food, but killing animals shouldn't be sport. Cosmetic testing on animals is also ridiculous.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"I could point blank shoot a dog in the face with a glock and not feel anything. I voted option D."
There goes his vote for Best GB User of 2010. 
It's all politics, man. You just lost the support of many.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@TheGreatGuero: Having said that, I would kick a cat across the yard like it's a football and not feel anything.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Diamond

Hunting keeps the deer population in Pennsylvania under control.  No matter what, you'd have to kill those deer some way.  That's the crazy think about empathy, you gotta be cruel to be kind.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CaptainCody
@TheGreatGuero said:
" @HitmanAgent47 said:
"I could point blank shoot a dog in the face with a glock and not feel anything. I voted option D."
There goes his vote for Best GB User of 2010.  It's all politics, man. You just lost the support of many. "
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By crusader8463

I think PETA and just about every charity organization are corrupt idiots who I wouldn't give my spit to if they needed it, but I support what they claim to do in spirit

Kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kill

Not a fan of PETA. I am a vegetarian though. I mostly do it for health reasons but do have sympathies for animals. Wouldn't go back to eating meat.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27  Edited By damnboyadvance

Killing animals just to kill them is wrong. Anything else, I really don't care about.

I also hate PETA. Everything they do is so damn stupid.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By cnlmullen

I'm a fan a Peter Singer; from a philosophical perspective I'm very pro animal rights. 

But I'm not a vegetarian, so when it comes to animal rights I'm kind of a hypocrite. 

tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#30  Edited By tobygw

I actually thought that D showed more sympathy than C. 

D was really the only one I agreed with, because I think that eating meat is completely normal and should be done. 

However I can't agree with C, because I don't really support hunting unless the food will be eaten, since some people just do it for fun but don't use the animal for anything. And I do care how animals are killed because although I do want meat, I would not like it if the cows had their ears cut off first and then were forced to watch season 1 of hannah montana before they were packaged.  

And I don't agree with B because animals kill and eat animals so why shouldn't humans. If we aren't killing the animals because of their feelings, what they are probably actually feeling is how dumb we are for not killing them as they kill each other. 

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ClaritySam

Yeah I can't really vote for any of these, I like pets but I definitely don't support hunting.  And I fucking hate animal rights activists, 95% of them are either pompous arseholes or dangerous militant sociopaths.  Also I like Bacon.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By astrotriforce
@tobygw said:
" I actually thought that D showed more sympathy than C.   D was really the only one I agreed with, because I think that eating meat is completely normal and should be done.   However I can't agree with C, because I don't really support hunting unless the food will be eaten, since some people just do it for fun but don't use the animal for anything. And I do care how animals are killed because although I do want meat, I would not like it if the cows had their ears cut off first and then were forced to watch season 1 of hannah montana before they were packaged.   And I don't agree with B because animals kill and eat animals so why shouldn't humans. If we aren't killing the animals because of their feelings, what they are probably actually feeling is how dumb we are for not killing them as they kill each other.  "
Yeah man see, it's too complicated to come up with answers that please everyone and/or cover all the bases.  

As for me, I think animals to be killed for food should be done humanely and I do think treating the animals with respect and dignity is the way to go. BUT, I don't freak out when I hear these companies that badly treat animals. It shouldn't happen and I think they should be forced to change, BUT who gives a flying fig really? I just can't help but to think how past generations would just laugh at how petty it is, when they'd just tip it over and slice it's throat without giving a second shot or kill it and it's babies and cook them. You know? I think we give them too much empathy. Having said that, all this from a person who feeds stray cats and took three of them in myself and raised the kittens in my room because I can't stand the sight of starving animals. But animals killed for food is different, they are GOING TO DIE anyway. But if you can treat them nicely before they meet their doom I think that's good.  

As far as hunting goes, I don't know that I could kill an animal myself honestly, and whenever I see hunting shows I whisper to myself "Nooo don't kill it!" but I have no problem with hunting or people that hunt. I think I generally set the line at torture, if you are harming the animal just because whether it's hunting or a processing plant and you could classify it as "cruel or unusual punishment" then I'm opposed to that. But animals are NOT people and thus I despise animal rights activists despite generally agreeing with what they stand for. Having said that, people come first and I do think we should be doing as much oil drilling and whatnot as possible whether it effects animals or not. People are more important. As long as they are kept from going extinct by it, then I'm all for it.
astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By astrotriforce
@BeachThunder said:
" I like these threads, but honestly, if you're going to continue doing these (and making them interesting/insightful) then you really should start putting a bit more thought into the possible responses :( They always seem silly, inaccurate and/or non-representative of the variety of views people can hold. I chose B btw. "
I put a lot of thought into it. Too much actually I finally just had to say f it and came up with the poll you see. The problem is if you get any more choices than I what I have it just becomes this convoluted mess. And I try to keep them simple. That's why, ultimately, you can use the "High", "Medium" "Low" sympathizers as a guide to help with where you fall in line. Rather than the text answers themselves.
Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hourai

As long as it's for food and the species isn't endangered, let 'em hunt. 

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Meowshi

I am very humanocentric.   
If you think that an animal's life is equal to or more important than a humans, then I think that you are a problem for society.   
If you get more upset when you hear about some horse dying, that a member of your own species, then I instantly dislike you. 
I like eating meat.  I don't care much about where it comes from, but obviously I'd rather have the animals killed in the most humane way possible.  I think unnecessary cruelty to living things should be discouraged.  I think Michael Vick is an asshole.  On the other hand, I think that PETA is an organization of steaming, seeping assholes.  I don't want to hear about how special animals are.   

They don't write poetry. 
They've never created art. 
They've never explored the galaxy. 
They don't have the emotional or intellectual capability of feeling the same amount of compassion for you, as you do for them. 
We are better.  We are more important.  Period.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BaneFireLord

Damn it, accidentally voted D. 
This is actually a hard question. I think PETA are a bunch of d-bags and should jump off a cliff, but hunting for sport (not for food) and animal abuse isn't cool either.
B and a half.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Diamond
@Meowshi said:
They don't write poetry. They've never created art. They've never explored the galaxy. They don't have the emotional or intellectual capability of feeling the same amount of compassion for you, as you do for them. We are better.  We are more important.  Period.
Can people also be measured the same way?  Certainly some people are more important than others.  Perhaps they shouldn't be treated as well either?
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Meowshi

Oh, and I'm fine with hunting and fishing.   
Yes, I do think there is a significant difference between someone hunting deer and someone killing their pet cat or dogfighting.  One is an accepted sport, and the others are early indications of psychopathy.    Oh, and bullfighting?  It's BULLSHIT.  I consider myself a good person, but I find it very hard to sympathize with people who get gored by bulls.  They stab them with swords and then act like big heroes.  That pisses me off just because of how cowardly it is. 

Like those assholes who used to shoot lions and then pose over their body like they accomplished some Herculean task.  Fuck you.  You did nothing.  You shot a cat.  Big deal.  If you had wrestled it to the ground and broke its fucking neck, then you can act like a tough guy and take pictures.  But you did NOTHING.  You shot an animal with a gun.  A child could do that.  You're a PUSSY. 

Keep in mind I don't have a problem with hunting.  Just with people acting like they are "warriors" because of it.  

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Meowshi
@Diamond said:
" @Meowshi said:
They don't write poetry. They've never created art. They've never explored the galaxy. They don't have the emotional or intellectual capability of feeling the same amount of compassion for you, as you do for them. We are better.  We are more important.  Period.
Can people also be measured the same way?  Certainly some people are more important than others.  Perhaps they shouldn't be treated as well either? "
No, such an attitude is incredibly bad for society, and in my opinion - that makes it wrong.  
Avatar image for myoldfriendunderagedrinking
MyOldFriendUnderageDrinking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uh animals are cool, PETA is stupid, hunting is also stupid, steak tastes pretty good when it isn't pumped full of chemicals, and Animal the muppet is a great drummer.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Diamond
@Meowshi said:

" @Diamond said:

" @Meowshi said:
Can people also be measured the same way?  Certainly some people are more important than others.  Perhaps they shouldn't be treated as well either? "
No, such an attitude is incredibly bad for society, and in my opinion - that makes it wrong.   "
Well I suppose even a small insect might ask you, had it significant intellect, have you ever assisted in the pollination of a plant?  If it weren't for insects we'd die off.  "Importance" is a sketchy concept.

In the most outside the box and nihilistic way, nothing on Earth is even the slightest bit 'important'.
Avatar image for myoldfriendunderagedrinking
MyOldFriendUnderageDrinking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Diamond:
I never thought that a discussion over the slaughter of animals for our entertainment and consumption would be so depressing.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

What have animals ever done for me?

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Meowshi

Yes, I'm not entirely sure how the conversation got steered here.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Aus_azn

PETA is an evil, evil organisation. C.

fearthephins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By fearthephins

B. I know people all have a different opinion on this matter and I don't want to shove my own in everyone's face. All I'm going to say is that it's not right to brutally kill animals. Yes, I understand they can be used as food but you don't have to kill them in such a malicious manner. Animals do feel and they are living beings...there's no need to cause them unnecessary pain.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ok i didnt pick anything cause i would say im in between B and C...  animals should be treated fairly but i honestly dont give a fuck if its cows or chicken cause i mean we got plenty of those.  JUST GET ME MY PROTEEINNNN.   and i dont really support hunting but im not against.  though i dont care about how animals are killed, i care about how they're raised so ya im a semi-hippy, whatever in the world that is....

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Scooper
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

I could point blank shoot a dog in the face with a glock and not feel anything. I voted option D.

"
That's interesting because I could do the same to you. Although I'd be afraid of your ghost haunting me so I probably wouldn't do it.

Anyways, I love meat and I am prepared to have an animal kept alive and killed at a young age for me to eat but I do not want that animal to go through any more pain and discomfort than is needed. Just because they can't verbalise and rationalise their thoughts they can still feel fear and discomfort and pain. I don't support hunting that is purely for sport but of course if the animal is used for food than it is more justified. I think the people who kill sharks, dolphins or whales just for a tiny part of their meat is disgusting and unforgivable, same goes for torturing animals for pleasure like dog fighting or fox hunting.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By jakob187

Here's what I think... 

The circle of life exists, and it has existed for thousands upon millions of years.  Trying to interfere with that is fucking stupid.  HOWEVER, there are practices that are absolutely cruel and unnecessary that fuel human greed and gluttony.  Should ortolan be prepared the way it is?  No.  It's fucking disgusting that a human would treat something, especially something as innocent as a bunting, that way.  Do foxes or other animals need to be skinned alive and deal with the pain and horror of that in order to have their fur turned into coats that sell for shitloads of money?  No, it's not a necessity - it's a stupid fucking luxury.  Does poaching need to happen for the ivory of an elephant's tusks?  NO! 

The idea of killing animals for luxury is fucking stupid, and in turn, THAT is what I fight for:  the rights of animals to not be harmed and maimed for the LUXURY of humans.

Meanwhile, there are people that bitch about cows being mistreated.  Look - cows are food and clothing, just the same as we are food to a lion or a tiger.  The way I figure it - if it is something that would be done for the needs of survival and/or protection, then it's not fucking cruelty.  It's the way of life.  They say "well, the blood doesn't need to be drained and this and that", but those people don't understand the reasonings for those things.  "Slitting a cow's throat to bleed it is fucking cruel".  You know what's even more cruel?  The idea that you people would rather that cow's meat cause an infectious disease that could become an epidemic and kill even MORE people and livestock.  *ugh* 

That's my stance.  Eat what you kill, wear what you kill, but only kill out of necessity - not luxury.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By gamefreak9

I've dissected a few animals in my lifetime, some for fun, others in a classroom, their capacity for intellectual thought is inferior to AI, and i hardly believe feelings are a substitute. So no sympathy, thats not to say i don't like pets, i just don't think they deserve rights. Next thing you know some peta member is gonna want lions vote.