• 69 results
Edited 11 months, 19 days ago

Poll: Do you think fasting is good or bad in terms of weight loss??? (170 votes)

Its very effective I lost all kinds of weight from fasting, all kinds... 16%
I don't think its a good idea it could be dangerous. 76%
Can't say I haven't tried it, though I might consider it just to see if it works. 6%
What's fasting? 1%

(Just to let people know fasting is eating at a certain time, and then stop eating for a long period of time)

I've been curious about people's thoughts on fasting for awhile now. I've made a short blog about it telling my experience with fasting afew months ago. Last year I've done it and it worked for me. I went from 330 pounds to 215 exercise included. I've also changed some of my eating habits and drunk mostly water.

Now before I started fasting people would say I was an idiot, and that if I did loss alot of weight I would put it back on and even more. Now fast forward a year and a half later I'm healthy, and the same people that told me that gained weight and are now obese. Anyway I got a physical recently and the doctor told me I was just fine. He told me I was more healthier then I've ever been and congratulated me.

I told him about my fasting and he was abit concern, but told me not to over do it. Other then that everything was all good with me.

#1 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I believe sustainable weight loss is about changing one's lifestyle. Fasting is not a sustainable lifestyle, so no, I don't think fasting is a great way to lose weight. For spiritual reasons or to cleanse toxins, sure, fast away.

#3 Posted by Kinapuff (244 posts) -

While not eating will certainly lose you some weight eventually, I'd argue that eating small portions of food spread throughout the day (5 or so meals) while combining that with some decent exercise will help your weight loss even more so. That way you'll keep your metabolism going, and burn calories efficiently.

#4 Edited by Yesiamaduck (968 posts) -

What you're suggest is not ideal but you can do weekly fasts, fast 2 days and eat whatever the hell you want the remaining 5, that's a proven effective method of losing weight in a safe effective way.

#5 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I'd say, from experience, eat at your fill, but eat good things and jogg 30 minutes a day or more, and you'll melt like a fucking ice cube.

#6 Edited by falserelic (5395 posts) -

@kinapuff said:

While not eating will certainly lose you some weight eventually, I'd argue that eating small portions of food spread throughout the day (5 or so meals) while combining that with some decent exercise will help your weight loss even more so. That way you'll keep your metabolism going, and burn calories efficiently.

I had a gym buddy that did that eating routine. Last year we both was at the same weight, and worked out around the sametimes. He's about 280 now and I'm way passed him, but I guess its personal preference.

#7 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Depriving yourself of food is the worst possible way to lose weight. Your metabolism works like an engine. Stop fueling it and it'll stop functioning.

#8 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Depriving yourself of food is the worst possible way to lose weight. Your metabolism works like an engine. Stop fueling it and it'll stop functioning.

#9 Posted by believer258 (11775 posts) -

You gotta eat. When you don't eat, you don't get the nutrients and stuff your body needs to keep going. I guess one day of fasting here and there isn't so bad, but I don't think it should be a central idea in anyone's weight loss plan.

#10 Posted by falserelic (5395 posts) -

You gotta eat. When you don't eat, you don't get the nutrients and stuff your body needs to keep going. I guess one day of fasting here and there isn't so bad, but I don't think it should be a central idea in anyone's weight loss plan.

In the beginning when I did Alternate Day fasting (24 hour fast). I would eat one day and only drink water for the next, and yeah it did take some getting use too, but nowadays I usually do Intermittent Fasting (16 hour fast). Which is basically eating everyday but at certain times. Fasting isn't something I'll recommend to somebody because fasting isn't for everybody.

#11 Edited by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

The popular thing in the body building world is Intermittent Fasting. This works for people even wanting to build mass. I've done it for about 3 weeks and have lost fat, but haven't noticed any loss in muscle or strength. The idea being you still eat the same amount, say around 2,000 calories a day. But you start eating later, say around 10am or noon and stop eating around 4pm.

The trick is getting enough good food in you in such a small amount of time. After 4pm, you don't eat/drink ANY calories. Just water. It works really well if you workout the following morning. Fat is stores energy and your body will eat that shit up once it loses a food source.

It isn't STARVING yourself. Like I said, you still eat a lot of great food, you just have to eat it in a short window. It's worth trying it out for a week if you're looking for something new.

I'm roughly 180 lbs and lift for my workouts. I run roughly a dozen miles a week and live a pretty active life. I can lift more weight while not breaking form than most other dudes my age and body type can do at the gym.

To me it sounded like a lot of bullshit at first. But it started to sound more and more like common sense. Want to lose weight? Stop fucking eating. Yet, for body builders they still need all that damn food for muscle. I try to get 200 grams of protein in me a day in addition to all the carbs and fats I need. So the community has created this new way of eating.

I recommend you at least read up on it.

#12 Posted by Freshbandito (677 posts) -

The problem with repeated bouts of fasting (as some women I know are wont to do before a holiday) is that your body will enter an emergency conservation mode and upon beginning eating again the body will make attempts to preempt this cycle by storing away fatty deposits.

This can lead to all kinds of health complications as your body goes through waves of glut and famine. The best option for weight loss / maintaining a healthy weight? it's a secret only the illuminati know, but since I'm paid up on my membership I'll share it; A balanced diet and healthy lifestyle.

#13 Edited by falserelic (5395 posts) -

@epicsteve said:

The popular thing in the body building world is Intermittent Fasting. This works for people even wanting to build mass. I've done it for about 3 weeks and have lost fat, but haven't noticed any loss in muscle or strength. The idea being you still eat the same amount, say around 2,000 calories a day. But you start eating later, say around 10am or noon and stop eating around 4pm.

The trick is getting enough good food in you in such a small amount of time. After 4pm, you don't eat/drink ANY calories. Just water. It works really well if you workout the following morning. Fat is stores energy and your body will eat that shit up once it loses a food source.

It isn't STARVING yourself. Like I said, you still eat a lot of great food, you just have to eat it in a short window. It's worth trying it out for a week if you're looking for something new.

I'm roughly 180 lbs and lift for my workouts. I run roughly a dozen miles a week and live a pretty active life. Genetics be damned, I'm still "skinny fat" and I seem to be doing pretty well with Intermittent Fasting.

When I started Intermittent Fasting at the beginning of this year. I packed on abit of muscle from weight training it worked like a charm. I hate how some people make it seem like its an abomination without giving it a chance. I can understand if it was Alternate Fasting, but Intermittent Fasting isn't so bad.

#14 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

@epicsteve said:

I'm roughly 180 lbs and lift for my workouts. I run roughly a dozen miles a week and live a pretty active life. Genetics be damned, I'm still "skinny fat" and I seem to be doing pretty well with Intermittent Fasting.

When I started Intermittent Fasting at the beginning of this year. I packed on abit of muscle from weight training it worked like a charm. I hate how some people make it seem like its an abomination without giving it a chance. I can understand if it was Alternate Fasting, but Intermittent Fasting isn't so bad.

It sounds like a gimmick. But after seeing some relatively knowledgeable people talking about it, I gave it a shot. It only took me a week to get over some of the humps. I'm seeing more separation with my muscle gains.

People think it's an abomination because it flies in the face of body building practices. The whole "eat 6 meals a day" is old news. For me, that's too expensive to maintain and my metabolism can't support that. Also, this is the first method of eating that doesn't require you to buy anything. There's no way to sell "Intermittent Fasting in a jug".

#15 Edited by falserelic (5395 posts) -

@epicsteve said:

@falserelic said:

@epicsteve said:

It sounds like a gimmick. But after seeing some relatively knowledgeable people talking about it, I gave it a shot. It only took me a week to get over some of the humps. I'm seeing more separation with my muscle gains.

People think it's an abomination because it flies in the face of body building practices. The whole "eat 6 meals a day" is old news. For me, that's too expensive to maintain and my metabolism can't support that. Also, this is the first method of eating that doesn't require you to buy anything. There's no way to sell "Intermittent Fasting in a jug".

For me from my body development. I've started seeing muscle gains from my arms, legs, shoulders, except my chest and stomach. Reason why is because I still have fat in those areas the most. I usually do total-body workouts and its been great. I'm building muscle and seeing more definition, and just like you before I started fasting I made sure to do research. Then after I've learned about it I went through with it.

#16 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (466 posts) -

Fasting puts a lot of stress on your heart. Not "intermittent" fasting, which is a contradiction of terms, but not eating long enough to shift your metabolic production into depleting stored resources - which is what makes you lose weight. It is the worst possible way to lose weight.

On the bright side, when most people refer to "fasting" they are talking about something completely different, often subsidizing their intake with special liquids. Also, there is a chance that "fasting" really just brings your caloric intake down to the level it should be in the first place, which most people tend to overestimate.

#17 Posted by TobbRobb (4589 posts) -

My eating habits are awful enough as it is, don't need to ruin it even more intentionally. As for losing weight, what's the hurry? Eat better in general and let it come naturally.

#18 Edited by TobbRobb (4589 posts) -

My eating habits are awful enough as it is, don't need to ruin it even more intentionally. As for losing weight, what's the hurry? Eat better in general and let it come naturally.

#19 Posted by spraynardtatum (2793 posts) -

It destroys your metabolism.

Don't fast unless your Gandhi or Christian Bale.

#20 Edited by ToTheNines (702 posts) -

lol good idea to ask a question like this on a site thats probably not that into the newest fasting research. Anyway I have previously liked the 16/8 lean gains method. And no, its not dangerous.

#21 Edited by Phr4nk0 (349 posts) -

It annoys me that people are still spreading the same old bullshit. In the fitness world and channels I follow it's been great to see the slow but steady change into accepting fasting as a legitimate weight loss and management strategy. I guess I spend to much time in those forums because I thought people were past the "stoke the metabolic fires" bs they've been parroting for years now, it seems I was mistaken.

Magazines are still pushing the eat 5-6 times a day because they're making all their money from advertisements from the supplement companies pushing that agenda. They make it seem so complicated so you take the easy way out and buy their wonder supplements which are absolutely useless. I guess this is why this myth refuses to die, just please stop spreading it.

Please people get your facts straight and point them out to people spreading misinformation. This misinformation could prevent someone from reaching their health goals. Scientific research has shown time and time again that metabolism is affected directly by the amount of calories consumed not meal timing. Eat a small amount your metabolism rises a little, eat a lot it rises a lot. 2000 calories spread over a day in 5 meals has the same net result on your metabolism as 2000 calories eaten in one sitting. Now the next big knock against fasting is this starvation mode crap, once again it's been proven that you need to go a minimum of 72 hours without food before your metabolism is affected even a tiny bit. So fasting for a day every second or third day has 0 effect on you.

Come on people, fasting is a great way to lose fat and has been proven successful time and time again. I will point out after all this that fasting is not necessary, all that is necessary to lose weight is a calorie deficit, however fasting has helped me achieve and maintain this deficit. Fasting is definitely sustainable, in fact I would argue it's more sustainable and less hassle than the normal 3-5 meals most people consume. Only having to make food once a day, less washing up, only tracking calories/macros once a day you end up with a lot more time and less work. Give it a go before knocking it, and realise that it doesn't have to be about fat loss, you can fast and maintain or gain weight. There are even multiple hormonal benefits to fasting in regards to building muscle.

#22 Posted by falserelic (5395 posts) -

@tobbrobb said:

Before fasting I had a normal eating routine, but it was a slow process. At the time I wanted to lose weight, and I wanted to change my personality. I have a problem that's been going on in my life even till today (Its embarrassing to say what it is), but at the time it was really starting to effect me mentally. I kept going into depressions and thinking I screwed my life over, but then I came to a realization that I needed to stop complaining and fix my problems before it gets worse.

So losing weight was one of the things I wanted to do, and I was willing to tryout anything that would be very effective for weight loss, and shortly after looking around the internet for helpful tips I've learned about fasting. Ever since I've been using it as a tool to losing weight.

#24 Posted by Legion_ (1270 posts) -

Dude, I got a degree in personal training. Take it from me, you gotta eat. If you're up to it, do fat burning intervals on a treadmill. Two good examples are 1/1 or guerilla cardios. 1/1 basically means one minute running at high speed, rest for one minute, repeat eight times. Guerilla is my favorite. Run for 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds. You want eight reps with 20 seconds. It's a great way to exercise. It's fast, (only about 12 minutes, including warming up), and it's the most effective way (proven) to burn fat.

Now, if you're not up to running, I suggest walking. It burns a lot more fat than jogging, as jogging actually burns more carbs than fat. Still, the percentage of fat and carbs burned are still at peak levels when doing intervals.

Regardless of which path you choose, you should also train with weights, as you burn a lot of fat when doing so. Do a lot of loose weights, and as few machines as possible. When you train with loose weights, your body has to keep stable as well, but when you're using machines, they usually handle that part for you. Biceps/scott curls, benchpress, pull-ups (do reverse negatives if you can't do a single pull-up), tricep curls, squats.

You'll look like a boss in no time. When building muscle, it's actually helpful to have a fat reserve, as it'll help you build much faster than us skinny guys.

#25 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

People still believe the "stoke the metabolism fires" myth? Just as long as you don't starve yourself to the point that your body enters conservation mode then you'll be fine, you don't need to constantly eat something.

Personally, I prefer counting carolies and watching my intake and what I burn during exercise, it's easy

#26 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

As some have said already in this thread: fasting is good for detox and discipline but terrible for weight loss.

#27 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

No. Not healthy and not particularly effective either. Best and safest way to lose weight over long term is to change your diet, run a slight caloric deficit (not too much!), and exercise on a regular schedule. You will slowly lose weight over a period of months and years, and that weight loss will be sustainable over long term.

#28 Edited by Brendan (7734 posts) -

It doesn't matter what I think, we KNOW how humans are supposed to eat, and fasting is the objectively incorrect way to do it.

#29 Posted by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -

It's too bad I never had a chance to talk to my grandfather about this sort of thing. He was a research physiologist who studied exercise and metabolism. Unfortunately, he passed away when I was 12 and still squarely in the not-caring-about-exercise-or-diet stage of my life.

#30 Posted by Littleg (67 posts) -

From everything I've ever heard about health/fitness/training/weight loss it sounds like a terrible idea, but I'm not an expert.

If you want to know what I really, really think - I'd speak to a health professional before starting any major change of eating routine, particularly if the one I was considering has any degree of doubt or controversy about it. I certainly wouldn't go making decisions based on the opinions of peers from an internet forum focused on video games.

#31 Edited by ModernAlkemie (361 posts) -

Any weight loss regimen that does not include consulting with a physician can be potentially dangerous.

#32 Posted by Phr4nk0 (349 posts) -

@brendan said:

It doesn't matter what I think, we KNOW how humans are supposed to eat, and fasting is the objectively incorrect way to do it.

Huh? Humans are supposed to do a lot of things, that doesn't mean we have to do it all the time. The way we eat now (and pretty much any other aspect of our life) has little to do with how we are supposed to do it, and more to do with what is practical as a society or what makes someone with sway in that society more money.

No. Not healthy and not particularly effective either. Best and safest way to lose weight over long term is to change your diet, run a slight caloric deficit (not too much!), and exercise on a regular schedule. You will slowly lose weight over a period of months and years, and that weight loss will be sustainable over long term.

Fasting doesn't exclude changing your diet, running a caloric deficit or exercising. How is fasting unhealthy, please specify reasons.

As some have said already in this thread: fasting is good for detox and discipline but terrible for weight loss.

Fasting at a caloric deficit is the exact same as eating 5 meals a day at a caloric deficit, plus it has those extra benefits. Caloric deficit = weight loss.

I don't want to turn into one of those forum trolls so I don't know how much longer I will visit this thread before I stop myself ever clicking this topic again. Please state your reasons and or examples for why fasting is good or bad. I'm happy to see there are some bombers who seem to be informed and not just repeating the same tired old cliches that have been proven false time and time again in the last 10 years. Society still hasn't let go of saturated fat being the devil and that was known to be false in the 50s so I don't know why I should expect any different here. Just do some research before condemning something and spreading the same misinformation. http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html here's a link to get started if you're interested.

#34 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@seppli said:

For spiritual reasons or to cleanse toxins, sure, fast away.

Even though toxins are a bunch of crap?

#35 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@seppli said:

For spiritual reasons or to cleanse toxins, sure, fast away.

Even though toxins are a bunch of crap?

#36 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2030 posts) -

This is the worst Sawbones episode yet

#37 Posted by Ben_H (3336 posts) -

Screw that, moderation is the key to weight loss. Fasting is not sustainable in the long run. As soon as you stop everything will fall apart. You have to make permanent life changes in order to maintain a healthy weight. I lost 55 pounds and have sustained it for a long time and all I do is watch my portions (which is not a big deal now that I am used to eating less) and doing a 5K run 3-4 times per week.

#38 Edited by Intro (1206 posts) -

Can't really say for sure as I haven't tried it, but I'll share a story if anyone would care to read lol. I lost a bit over 12 pounds in about a month once. I smoked marijuana daily, multiple times a day for a year straight. Then when I quit (over a month ago), the only negative side effect I had was a huge loss of appetite. I never had a big appetite to begin with and have always been on the skinnier side, but the need to eat was almost completely gone. If I tried to eat, I would feel as if I would throw it up, even just after a single bite of toast. I ended up eating little to nothing for a while and just drank a lot of fluids (water or juices).

I was just released from the hospital a few days ago, on a completely unrelated reason, and they asked if I had unexpected weight loss. I told them I lost about 12-15 pounds in a month and the RN had a shocked look, took some notes and told me that's not good. I would recommend 3 meals, eating until you're satisfied (not full) and getting at least an hour of exercise per day. You can't go wrong doing that, but you're not going to lose weight quick; it's just not worth it anyway in my opinion.

And I agree with what @ben_h was saying, moderation is good and fasting isn't great in the long run. For people looking to lose weight, don't look at changes in what you're eating as a "diet", look at it as a "lifestyle". Change your bad eating habits and stick with it! Yes, easier said than done, I know.

#39 Posted by Demoskinos (14730 posts) -

Nope Id say its a bad idea. Your body needs energy to keep going. Changing your diet accompanied with a exercise routine much more effective method to losing weight. Fasting just seems like a dangerous shortcut to me.

#40 Edited by amazinmace (38 posts) -

Alternate Day Fasting seems promising.

#41 Posted by The_Tolman (430 posts) -

There are better, much healthier ways to lose weight. Fasting can have lasting health problem.

#42 Edited by 34f3ecwdc3 (162 posts) -

I personally know a guy who ate one time a day and lost like 20 kg in two months. You have one life, try anything and you will get to know your body's limits and see what type of diet suits you. Don't take advice from what you see on the internet, inform yourself about what your body needs the most then you create your own ideas - it's a difference. For example, see why we need proteins, read as much as you can, but not from blogs because they are written by another normal persons whom you don't know if they are well informed. Better search for studies (few are not accurate). We have different bodies, think about that some of us have slow metabolism, so we have a different way of eating - unless if some of them don't care about their body. Metabolism matters ! then comes sport. Those lucky bastards with fast metabolism, they can eat so many sweets and they never get fat. But first you must see what your body type is : ectomorph, endomorph or mesomorph. No matter at what time you eat and in how many portions you will split that food, at the end of the day, you will stay have the same amount of calories intake. It matters to burn more than you eat. I feel good when I eat one time a day and am a girl. I run (not jogging, that's for pussies and old people) in the morning but only to stay healthy and fit, although my diet consists 80% of healthy food. With other words, I could write a lot but no theory can give you the real answer, since we have different metabolism and there's only one way to find out if you will feel alright with fasting - try soldier !

Edit : btw, whatever it will be, lifestyle or a temporary diet, that doesn't mean you gotta stick to one for the rest of your life. It's not like a diet is revolving around your existence. If you know what I mean...

There's also Ramadan for muslim people, they eat one time a day the whole month. Check for Ramadan fasting.

#43 Posted by Rafaelfc (1324 posts) -

fast fooding is definitely bad for weight loss as it turns out...

#44 Posted by falserelic (5395 posts) -

There are better, much healthier ways to lose weight. Fasting can have lasting health problem.

Speaking for myself I haven't ran into any health problems from fasting. If anything it got rid of alot of health problems I was having when I was overweight.

#45 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

It's pretty damn terrible. There's a drink called 'Hollywood Diet'. Basically you drink nothing but sugar water for a week and you lose a ton of weight. The only problem is that once you start eating regularly again, your body takes in every single calorie and uses it. Making you fill out again a few days later. The only thing that ever helps is exercise and proper diet. There really aren't any shortcuts if you're prone to weight gain.

#46 Posted by 34f3ecwdc3 (162 posts) -

@nekroskop: there are some shortcuts/tricks and the actual problem is the person's ambition. Ambition is the key and there will be no concern about the "what ifs".

#47 Posted by falserelic (5395 posts) -

It's pretty damn terrible. There's a drink called 'Hollywood Diet'. Basically you drink nothing but sugar water for a week and you lose a ton of weight. The only problem is that once you start eating regularly again, your body takes in every single calorie and uses it. Making you fill out again a few days later. The only thing that ever helps is exercise and proper diet. There really aren't any shortcuts if you're prone to weight gain.

When I started back eating normal again from months of Alternate Day fasting. I haven't experience any large amount of weight gain. The only times where I've gained weight was when I was over eating alot of unhealthy foods.

#48 Edited by Darkstorn (464 posts) -

I lost over 40 lbs by way of fasting a couple years ago. I spent an entire summer eating sub-600 calories a day and it was stressful, painful, and very hard on my body. The side effects of my severe fasting was an increased appetite for over a year, as the body naturally tries to regain the lost mass. When dieting for weeks on end my body became much more efficient at processing calories, so even a year after my weight loss I needed to consume less than 2000 calories a day or I would gain the weight back. Even now (2 years out), eating 2200 calories in a day will make me feel bloated and I'll feel some extra fat when I pinch my neck the next morning.

The right way to lose weight is to eat 1400-1500 cals per day and go on runs every other day, for me a 40 minute run was the sweet spot. I learned this the hard way, so I really urge anyone to use exercise as their main means of weight loss. Combine it with moderate dieting or even fasting for less than 8 hours at a time.

If you're not willing to exercise to get a nice body or be healthy, then you don't genuinely want to lose weight.

EDIT: It's important to point out that everyone's body is different, and every person's limits and needs vary. What is important is to keep our bodies moving whenever possible, especially as we age. That's what our ancestors did for hours on a daily basis, as little as a hundred years ago. If you don't exercise regularly, then start going on walks around town (I listen to the Bombcast while walking around Oakland/Berkeley/SF). Stand up on the bus/subway or when you're watching something. As long as you're moving, you're doing what your body was built for.

#49 Posted by nbesnerson (33 posts) -

@deranged said:

This

#50 Posted by noizy (660 posts) -

You ingest calories. If you are active, you burn calories and build muscles. Muscles are a more expensive tissue to maintain than fat, so if you deprive yourself of food, your body will also shed muscle mass, not just fat. So it's in your best interest to be active to maintain some muscle mass (and keep your metabolism up). If you are inactive the excess of calories is stored as fatty tissues. That's why people say turning fat into muscle. Not literally off course.