Do you think the interns should be kept out of the sites video content?

• 161 results
ZedNotZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ZedNotZee
ZedNotZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ZedNotZee

I for one want them to be gone from the sites video content. I come here for the main guys to do their thing and to listen to them and their opinions. I don't care what the interns have to say. I don't have anything against them personally, I just don't find them entertaining to listen to when they are floundering around on the mic trying way too hard to be funny. It's gotten to the point that the second I turn on a QL and hear one of them start talking I turn it off because I know it's not going to be a QL worth watching. 

Beside that, they all seem to do some kind of video thing on the youtube account all the time. Let them stick to that and keep the main site content intern free.

That's just my two cents. What do you folks think.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I like 'em.  I also think people are way to hard on them.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PeasantAbuse

No the interns are rad.

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DopeToast

I guess I don't have a problem with it. I obviously prefer listening to the main crew, but I guess they're just interns learning the ropes.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#6  Edited By Little_Socrates

No, in fact I consider it the responsibility of the GB crew to teach interns how to produce what is arguably the most important part of the site, quality video content. Similarly, giving them the podcast room once a week to record is equally important.

ZedNotZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ZedNotZee
@SethPhotopoulos said:
Some people get way too crazy with the insults, but, as much as I hate siding with the douchebags, I agree with what they are failing to say in a sensible fashion. Anytime they are involved in a video, out side of throwing out questions on TNT, I find it impossible to enjoy the video.
Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Jesus, some people need to lose the creepy nerd-boner they have for the fab four.

It's ok to like other people, they won't get jealous. The interns are a part of the crew, just like Drew or Dave or anyone else.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I don't mind, since if I'm not watching a Vinny and/or Brad and/or Dave quicklook, then I'm just not going to be as excited. So I say bring anyone else on, I don't mind. =)

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@ZedNotZee said:
@SethPhotopoulos said:
Some people get way too crazy with the insults, but, as much as I hate siding with the douchebags, I agree with what they are failing to say in a sensible fashion. Anytime they are involved in a video, out side of throwing out questions on TNT, I find it impossible to enjoy the video.
I don't feel that way at all.
Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Subjugation

Sorry guys, you don't work there. You don't get to hate on the interns. Once you start creating the content you'll get to decide who and what goes into it. Nothing forces you to watch content with the interns in it.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Hizang

Dude we are not even interns, Interns are above us, so you don't get to hate. Personally I have no issue with the interns, I really like them appearing in video content, makes for a nice change. YOU are also not even a paying member, freeloaders don't get to complain!

JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JokerFrown

@Hizang said:

Dude we are not even interns, Interns are above us, so you don't get to hate. Personally I have no issue with the interns, I really like them appearing in video content, makes for a nice change. YOU are also not even a paying member, freeloaders don't get to complain!

Listen to this person OP. They know everything!!!!!!!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By JJWeatherman

I kiiiiind of agree. Not to be a dick or anything though. Even if I were an intern, I wouldn't want to be on video content because 1.) I'm terrible, and 2.) I know that people would rather watch/listen to the staff.

So yeah, I'd prefer staff only on quick looks and things, but then I don't run this site.

ZedNotZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ZedNotZee
@weeman105: No one said I was being forced. I'm simply voicing my displeasure of them being in the sites video content, and why I wish they weren't. I don't like them, and I find they are hurting the content on the site for me as I don't enjoy watching anything they are involved in. Simple as that. Sorry for disagreeing with ya, but when the guys start doing stuff on the site that makes me not want to watch it as much as I did before I'm going to voice my opinion about it.
Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

10 years in the future they're going to be Giant Bomb: TNG, so I hope the guys teach them well and that involves showing them the ropes of making good video content

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I don't think they're anywhere near as good as the main Giant Bomb crew, but I like the interns and I actually think Kessler is pretty entertaining when he appears in stuff.

AndrewVerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By AndrewVerse

More content is fine with me, don't really care who's starring in it.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Everyone has to start somewhere.

And sometimes that somewhere involves bleached blond hair.

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By innacces14

I don't agree. Everyone's gotta start somewhere. I mean look at the GB staff. Almost all of them started as interns at GameSpot and they all had very boooooring and monotonous video reviews to begin with. Getting out of their shell took time so why not give the WM interns time as well?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#21  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@Little_Socrates said:

No, in fact I consider it the responsibility of the GB crew to teach interns how to produce what is arguably the most important part of the site, quality video content. Similarly, giving them the podcast room once a week to record is equally important.

As usual with a So-Crates post, I agree. Their content is getting better and better, and the only way to learn how to produce even greater content is through experience and guidance. Plus, and I mean absolutely no disrespect here to anyone, it can be great to hear some genuine enthusiasm for games from fresh people.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Subjugation

@ZedNotZee said:

@Hizang said:

Great, the paid/not paid elitist card. Grats on pulling that one already. Just so we are clear here, you're saying that if I had $50 to waste like you did my opinion suddenly means more? And that because I don't I'm supposed to just shut up and not voice my displeasure with a direction the site is going in? Fuck off. I'm a user on this site. Every page I go to generates page views that they can show to investors and ad agencies that make them money. If the only people that came to this site were you people that pay the site would be dead. It's the majority of the rest of us that pays the bills and lets them make money. Get off your high horse.

You should probably preface that with "I think" or "I believe" because you don't know that for a fact anymore than anyone else here. Do you have access to this information somehow?

And yeah, people are entitled to opinions, absolutely. My opinion is that those interns that you loathe so much are only doing what they are told to do so you have no reason to be angry at them for appearing in content. They were asked to be in it by that staff that you so worship. Maybe you should complain to @taswell on Twitter so he can block you or something.

Don't forget that tons of people use internships as a method of getting their foot in the door in a career path that they are interested in. I would be totally surprised if Vinny/Ryan/Jeff/Brad/Patrick didn't go through a similar path. And yet look where they are now. As said earlier, everyone starts somewhere and I'm not going to be the douchebag to act so self-important as to say that they don't deserve the opportunities presented to them.

I'm sorry you don't enjoy the interns. Maybe if you realize they are dudes just like you pursuing something they are passionate about you could find it somewhere deep down to live and let live.

invadernick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By invadernick

They are interns, how are they supposed to learn and improve without getting involved?

satansmagichat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By satansmagichat

Betting the Farmville is awesome. Keep them busy!

Although I think I might not like hearing an intern only podcast, I like hearing them interact with the regular bomb squad.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hoossy

I wanna be an intern sometime soon... so I don't rag on em.  I'll just be the best one! 

JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JBird

I think Matt is a comedy genius, whether he wants to be or not. And steve worked so hard on those videos i'm really happy for him that he's got an internship at the offices. They both worked hard for what they have and bring somthing to the entire team. (even if it just a sandwhich :p)

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Ben is down with Bible Black jokes, every other intern should as well.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By teh_destroyer

I really just don't like Matt Kessler being back for a second round again, didn't care for him being there once so I definitely did not want him back for a second round. I am cool with everyone else though.

Avatar image for aneternalenigma
AnEternalEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AnEternalEnigma

Matt Kessler is the only one I can't stand and I shut off anything he's involved in. The rest are cool with me.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Nardak

I agree also that the interns are there to learn the trade. They cant learn it if they arent able to participate in producing the content. Some of the interns could potentially be the new Jeffs, Brads, Ryans and Vinnys of the future.   

Believe or not interns are not there only for making coffee or bringing sandwiches to the Whiskey media staff.

StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By StingerMK2

i don't mind the interns either, i find it quite funny how Kessler always seems half cocky and half super nervous whilst doing quicklooks, and who doesnt love the running joke about Ben always appearing with his head off the top of the screen? and i for one think Nick makes a pretty good podcast host already,

all the interns seem to be coming out of their shells more and more, and it can only lead to them improving as time goes on, they are not going to be instantly amazing to watch and listen to on camera, who the fuck would be in their situation? keep it up guys!

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CptBedlam

No, I like them. Especially Kessler is awesome (I like his stuff as much as the main guy's stuff already). Hopefully, he gets hired by Whiskey Media eventually.

Also, I noticed how it's overwhelmingly non-paying members who complain about the interns or certain video features which is not really appropriate (yep, I went there).

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Detrian

I think they shouldn't touch quicklooks with a ten foot pole but should have their own content (as they've been doing)

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#34  Edited By Dimsey

The Interns are fine. Mixes things up a little.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CptBedlam

@Detrian said:

I think they shouldn't touch quicklooks with a ten foot pole but should have their own content (as they've been doing)

Kessler QLs are great. Funny and well informed commentary and he knows how to play. I already enjoy watching him play more than Patrick (don't like his snarky attitude) or even Brad (I like him but his playstyle is sometimes just too clumsy, It freaks me out).

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By ReyGitano

I have no problem with the interns. I still have my hang ups about the way Kessler sounds like someone spliced Jeff's and Ryan's speech traits together, but he's knows what he's talking about... most times.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Romination

It used to be a bit jarring seeing Kessler in stuff but I feel like he's come into his own and he's really standing out as a personality more than he used to. The funniest part of the Farmville video was his stone-faced-straight-ahead look as they explained everything to him.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CptBedlam

@Romination said:

It used to be a bit jarring seeing Kessler in stuff but I feel like he's come into his own and he's really standing out as a personality more than he used to. The funniest part of the Farmville video was his stone-faced-straight-ahead look as they explained everything to him.

The "Bodega's Butt Barn"-moment was hilarious.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I think they're a bit prominent and overrated at times, I do enjoy their presence.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By shiftymagician

I'm fine with the interns, but I'm tired of seeing every single 'joke' done against the interns.  It isn't funny and quite boring now to me personally.  When Jeff gave Kessler proper treatment in the Captain America quick look, it was a breath of fresh air.  Now we have the Farmville videos and I gotta be honest, I'm not feeling it at all.  Again, completely subjective opinion here.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#41  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Interns are there to learn and build a portfolio. That including video material. I've warmed up to Kessler and Ben's too tall to fit the camera joke should be exploited more. So no. The interns should not be excluded from the videos.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Turambar

Lets make something clear that the big 4 has alluded to many times.  The interns' presence in video content is not taking the enjoyment of said content from you.  Their presence in video content is what makes that piece of content possible.  The interns do what the main crew simply do not have the time to tackle.  Kicking the interns off any video content lands you with the same amount of videos you would get if you just don't watch the ones they are in.

So while I understand your grievances, there is nothing to actually complain about.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Turambar
@PhatSeeJay said:
Interns are there to learn and build a portfolio. That including video material. I've warmed up to Kessler and Ben's too tall to fit the camera joke should be exploited more. So no. The interns should not be excluded from the videos.
I think it has gone from the realm of a joke to a very sad fact, sad as it makes me feel bad about myself.  Man, Ben is gigantic, and I am a god damn pipsqueak.
yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By yoshimitz707

Fuck the haters!

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CptBedlam

@yoshimitz707 said:

Fuck the haters!

Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Skogen

@CptBedlam said:

Also, I noticed how it's overwhelmingly non-paying members who complain about the interns or certain video features which is not really appropriate (yep, I went there).

This is a total fallacy. I'm a paying member and don't enjoy Kessler reviews or content. Nor do I enjoy the Farmville content.

With that said, it also must be understood that Kessler content does appear on the front page, under the guise of Giant Bomb content. Certain members feel that supporting Whiskey Media with a premium membership is validating this intern content, and choose to not subscribe because of it. This in no way faults them, or makes them inferior. They feel that their money would be better spent elsewhere. And they're entitled to spend it however they like. Arguing on the basis of them not paying is pointless, as they price content differently then you do. In America, that's how people voice their opinions, with their wallets.

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Scotto

I like Kessler and Steve, but I agree that sometimes Kessler comes across like he's trying a bit too hard to "fit in" with the humorous style of the main GB crew, and Steve just doesn't seem to have the outward personality for video content.

I don't think it's harsh for folks to say they'd rather not have the interns feature in video content, however, any more than it would be harsh to say that you'd rather not see the kid who fetches Jon Favreau's coffee feature in Iron Man 3 - even if he's an aspiring actor.

That said, Kessler has his moments, and judging from his recent review write-ups, has a decent knack for the trade. I'm also interested in the new FarmVille series with him and Steve, because I think it's a good, humorous "on-camera" use of the interns, and their ongoing "torture".

- Scott

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MEATBALL

Nope, I'm fine with the interns having a presence in Giant Bomb's content and I actually find Kessler pretty entertaining. It's not like they're in everything, either, and it's great that the people at Whiskey Media are providing their interns this kind of experience.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CptBedlam

@Skogen: You do realize that interns don't cost a fortune and it's mostly time that's restricting the content done by the main crew. Interns content is just additional content - and I highly enjoy it, especially Kesslers stuff.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Capum15

B, I'm fine with them being around, and I like they content they put out.