Do you think we'll ever overcome racism?

• 150 results
dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By dichemstys

Seems like racism still exists in a significant way and that suuuuucks. Do you think as a whole we'll ever...you know, evolve?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Hell no. It's too convenient a political tool.

Philanthropy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Philanthropy

Maybe in the future when we are all a brown-yellow race.

pakalolobro420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By pakalolobro420

naw dude some pple are blind and thats sad but i respect everynone

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta

yes, but only when we get to deus ex human revolution

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Milkman
@Animasta said:

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Coafi

Si. We probably won't exist anymore, but eventually I think this will happen. HOPEFULLY.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Animasta

@Milkman said:

@Animasta said:

yes but see talking like you're a slave on a plantation is done ironically in the time of transhumanism

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By me3639

No. I hate people who worship the government and those who are in government.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Karkarov

@Video_Game_King said:

Exactly. In other words, we mostly already have. Sure there are racists and hate groups, there always will be. But it is the government that wants to make it out to be some wide spread far reaching thing that seeps into every level of society and they want you to think that purely for their own political agenda. In fact in the 15-16 years or so I have been working full time I can only think of one time I have ever seen real discrimination in the work place. It was when one my of old bosses admitted to me they would not hire women who were under 30 because they didn't take their jobs seriously until they were older and did not make good workers. Hilarious part? My boss was a woman in her late 50's.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dungbootle

Yes.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

Sure hope so. If not, we're all going to be fucked at some point.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Karkarov:

Uh, I was talking more about governments employing racism on some level to achieve their political goals. Think WW2 propaganda, although not necessarily always on that scale.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By McGhee

"Stop talking about it."

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OmegaChosen

When we find hostile aliens in space, that are conveniently at a parallel level of development to ourselves, to hate instead of each other.

Even then there'll probably still be hold outs.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16  Edited By JasonR86

I don't even know what qualifies as racism any more. Same thing as sexism (but we have a big-ass thread on that already so...). People will always see others based on their physical characteristics first. Whether it is their attractiveness, gender, hair color, or skin color these things will always be noticed and that will never change. If a non-racists world is a world where everyone is looked at exactly the same way then, no, that will never happen. But if a non-racist world is one where every one is given the same opportunities then I believe that one day, if governments and economies are willing, that could happen. But that is a long, long ways away.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By colourful_hippie

@McGhee: I know what he's getting at but I think the phrase "stop talking about it" is poorly worded. More like when people finally stop acknowledging color/race/whatever first over the individual then racism will go away.

SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SocietySays

No. If you look, sound, act, think or fuck differently someone is always going to hate you.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19  Edited By JasonR86

@KrypticKiller said:

No. If you look, sound, act, think or fuck differently someone is always going to hate you.

...fuck differently?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By McGhee

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@McGhee: I know what he's getting at but I think the phrase "stop talking about it" is poorly worded. More like when people finally stop acknowledging color/race/whatever first over the individual then racism will go away.

"Stop talking about it" is worded great because it is very hard hitting. Since he then goes on to explain it, it works well.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Yes, eventually everyone will be a homogenized race and look like A-Rod (goobacks); though the planet will have to unify first. Han is basically the Borg in terms of assimilation power so that's probably the most likely starting point.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By McGhee

@JasonR86 said:

@KrypticKiller said:

...fuck differently?

He's upset at all those black dudes that got that horse cock thing going on.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By colourful_hippie

@McGhee said:

@JasonR86 said:

@KrypticKiller said:

...fuck differently?

Racist.

SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SocietySays

@JasonR86 said:

@KrypticKiller said:

...fuck differently?

Wasn't meant in the literal sense of how you have sex with someone. More just the fact that someone is going to hate you for even the slightest difference.

SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SocietySays

@McGhee said:

@JasonR86 said:

@KrypticKiller said:

...fuck differently?

Yep. Once you learn your girlfriend was with a black guy, you always wonder...

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By McGhee

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@McGhee said:

@JasonR86 said:

@KrypticKiller said:

...fuck differently?

Racist.

Oh, I'm totally racist. For instance, Korean and Japanese girls are WAAAAAAYYYY hotter than any other women in the world.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nottle

@Animasta said:

@Milkman said:

@Animasta said:

yes but see talking like you're a slave on a plantation is done ironically in the time of transhumanism

Or by that time talking like that isn't seen as a racial thing but just something that individual does.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nottle

In all seriousness I think the US will achieve this some day. 200 years isn't really a long time though. People still exist today that have had awful things happen to them because of race. I'd give it another few generations until things get better.

One thing that will have to change is people making a deal when a person or character is a minority. Lee Everett is just a guy in the Walking Dead, but people see him as the black guy that you play as. People make a big deal about there being a "positive black character" in a game, but that should be the norm.

I also think people will need to realize stereotypes are socially constructed, that there are reasons groups of people act certain ways or appear to act certain ways and it has little to do with genetics.

Things like getting a college or getting a job because your a minority is going to have to go away to. Right now it's great. People that have been oppressed forever need to have a chance to move up socially otherwise we have social classes being another separator of race. If people are truly going to be equal you'll need to judge them as individuals. It always bothers me when people say a person isn't acting like their race. That idea is stupid.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Animasta

@Nottle said:

@Animasta said:

@Milkman said:

@Animasta said:

Or by that time talking like that isn't seen as a racial thing but just something that individual does.

to be serious, no way.

There's AAVE and then there's THAT.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TruthTellah

Do you think there will always be different races?

Then yes. As long as there are differences, people will use those differences against one another.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Maybe I'm coming from a sheltered (and rather anecdotal) perspective, but I've never encountered racism in my life whether that is against others or myself. I have a feeling that the true racists out there are either dead or dying at this point.

Sheltered.

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By smitty86

As a black man, I'm waiting for the moment when we all can look like Morgan Freeman. Only then will progress be made.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DukesT3

After living in a small predominately white town an hour or so south of St. Louis with my girlfriend. Hell no.. as long as people still live in their bubble there will always be racism.

tyler1285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tyler1285

@Godlyawesomeguy: Yeah it's not that way. It sucks.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By ShaggE

We haven't even overcome hating people for liking different games/movies/music than we do.

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37  Edited By Tackchevy

Racism is a product of racial self identification. Fear of difference is inherent to the human thought process. Therefore, racism will disappear as soon as that last person forgets the concept of race. Sadly, this is probably at least 100 years away.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NTM

That depends on how we raise out children. By the way, while it has nothing to do with racism, it does have to do with the future (kind of). I just saw Looper, and that was a really, really good movie.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39  Edited By mrpandaman

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Maybe I'm coming from a sheltered (and rather anecdotal) perspective, but I've never encountered racism in my life whether that is against others or myself. I have a feeling that the true racists out there are either dead or dying at this point.

What do you mean by true racist?

@smitty86 said:

As a black man, I'm waiting for the moment when we all can look like Morgan Freeman. Only then will progress be made.

As a asian man, I'm waiting for the moment when we all can look like Mr. Miyagi, then we can teach others to crane kick racism in the face, but personally I'd aim for the balls. It's a little (lot) funnier.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By Blackout62

Yeah but we'll probably have reached a point where xenophobia in its most sci-fi sense is a viable alternative.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bluefish

As a species we are way too happy to group one another into "my people" and your people" Gamers and everyone else, left left right, east and west. We just group ourselves by nature and regularly have pointless conflicts. Just because.

Racism is just an easy way to do that for a lot of people.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By UlquioKani

Yes, once everyone is as racially ambiguous as Rashida Jones.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Meowshi

@McGhee said:

"Stop talking about it."

So let the racists freely preach their message and sit back doing nothing. Brilliant.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Maybe when we have something else to all collectively hate, like aliens.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

@ShadowConqueror: Wouldn't that just make us racists to the aliens?

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Tarsier

@Video_Game_King said:

this

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By thomasnash

I was reading an interesting thing recently about how young people no longer self-identify along national grounds because they live in a completely transnational world - the internet, essentially. The article I was reading seemed to be leaning on saying this was a bad thing because it meant it was harder to instil any kind of community spirit in them, although it didn't offer any evidence of this happening. I suspect that the fear was inspired by seeing how many people who are dissatisfied or in some way outside of their own communities turn towards the internet to find other communities to identify with.

I bring it up only because it does seem to suggest that the reasons that racial self-identification is, to some extent, an extension of national self-identification, so if people are defining themselves as "gamers" or even "giantbombers" or "neogaffers" before they identify themselves as British or American - or even white and black - then perhaps we are moving towards a world where racism decreases - although I suppose the fact that racists are becoming increasingly marginalised within their communities, and turning to internet communities like stormfront or whatever.

I suppose you also have to wonder whether that will be totally positive. Obviously there's animosity between internet communities, which I suppose might just reveal some innate need for conflict - although personally I believe that we should be able to move past that, even if it's only by sublimating those urges into productive discussion. But more importantly I don't think it wuld be a net positive unless the current generation manages to balance it's technological communication more evenly with actual real life interaction, that would probably negate any positive effects, because we can't yet exist entirely online, and it probably would be at the expense of community cohesion. On the other hand, if people can take that stateless, classless and raceless attitude to interaction with them into the real world, then maybe it would be a net positive in the end.

Here'sthe article, if anyone's interested.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By Fearbeard

To overcome racism you'd first have to overcome ignorance which will never happen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Mabs but probnot

Aterons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Aterons

Depends on what you refer to as racism, the "Chinese and negro are inferior, white power !" type racism will go away in time because its an untrue and idiotic concept not backed up by any theory other than religious and extremist political one, and the 20 and 21 century so far haven't been kind to ether.

If by racism you mean judging someone by country and skin color ? Not really, and why should it ?

We judge based on looks, if you see a white guy with long hair and a beard wearing a jacket you will likely think to yourself "that guy might be into metal/punk/rock", if you see a skinny guy with glasses and strange clothes you will think to yourself "that guy might be socially awkward", if you see a guy with dreads you will likely assume he is a stoner more than you would if he did not have said dreads and you will be right making that assumption much like if you see a black guy in America you will assume he is more likely to be member of a gang and again, you will be right making that assumption.

That's not racism that's simply judging people based on the statistics and examples you know, hear and read about. You would be wrong if you assumed all guys with dreads are stoner, all blacks are gang members and all asians are extremely smart, that would be racism and stereotyping but assuming they are more likely to be that kind of person is not fucking racism, is simply going by the only information you have to make a general image of a person that you don't know.

Now obviously this is a bad thing still because unlike a cloth you wear, a man doesn't chose his skin color and thus we have to be sensitive of that. Still, by denying the fact that our mind, unconsciously, makes those connection like every fucking politician and white guy seems to do you are not actually helping the problem you are just hiding it.

Racism will eventually go away because the world is getting more and more mixed up and hell, some say mechanical bodies will be a thing by 2040.