#1 Posted by NTM (7320 posts) -

#2 Posted by NTM (7320 posts) -

I personally don't have a job, so this doesn't really apply to me right now, but I was just wondering what others thought about their work life and how they think they do at it.

#3 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

I suck at my job. I only get by because of my looks.

#4 Posted by Dunchad (483 posts) -

I'm very good at my job. But I'm also really lazy and dishonest, so the company isn't really getting their moneys worth out of me.

#5 Edited by Takeda (7 posts) -

I'm a sales associate at Staples, so it's kind of hard not to be good at my job. Sometimes I have to cover for the cashier though, which was kind of tough at first because they didn't train me on the register. I always missed a few steps while doing returns, much to the dismay of my manager.

But overall, I'm a good employee. I work hard, don't take breaks, and manage to get giant ****ing desks down from the top shelf in the supply room.

The bad employees are the ones who put giant ****ing desks on the top shelf in the supply room.

#6 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

Probably good, although it can feel personally dicey when a project looks like it really should be handled by someone with more experience (but this theoretical more experienced person would have a greater salary..... so having to learn more to finish a task is not exactly shocking when your the budget help).

#7 Posted by Hailinel (24272 posts) -

My last performance review suggested that I'm doing well. There will always be things that I can improve on, but I feel that my current performance has been good.

#8 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

I aim to be ok, being better than that means more responsibility, being worse than that means I loose my job.

Ok is swell.

#9 Posted by believer258 (11775 posts) -

Ain't got one at the moment.

I gotta try to get one but I don't know who will hire me when I might be leaving it when school starts.

#10 Edited by Hunter5024 (5600 posts) -

It's kind of impossible to be a good security guard at my museum. Be too friendly and they yell at you, because they feel you will be incapable of exerting your authority. If you're not friendly enough then you are reflecting poorly on the museum. Follow them around and you're bothering the patrons, miss the patrons touching or taking a picture and you're not doing the one responsibility you have. Do something to try and help someone then you aren't watching the gallery, stand around when someone needs help then you are being lazy. Walk around and you look too nervous, stand in one place and you don't look attentive enough, sit down and you're being lazy. That's why I typically sit on my ass in a location where I can see most of the gallery, listening to a nice podcast, and when the gallery is empty I pop out my handheld system and play a little Fire Emblem or Pokemon. If I can't do anything right then I might as well enjoy myself. You get what you paid for, and they're dishing out minimum wage.

#11 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

yes, i am a good employee. i do my job that i am suppose to, tell me go do other stuff.

today was a pretty weird day though. i was 5 minutes late. i went to the back of the store to put the cardboard in the compactor then ended up helping the person with the compactor. that probably took 30 minutes as i didn't do it a lot. boss told me to go outside to push carts, and there wasn't a lot of them there. i ended up standing outside listening to music. someone was coming in so i started talking to him. my boss saw that, kind of gave me a what are you doing look.

i figure that they know when they send people outside to push cart that they stand around and not do any work.

#12 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@Dunchad

I'm very good at my job. But I'm also really lazy and dishonest, so the company isn't really getting their moneys worth out of me.

Exactly this haha
#13 Posted by hoossy (933 posts) -

what job?

#14 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I haven't fired myself yet, so I'd say I'm doing pretty good. Someday, I might even make some money at it.

#15 Posted by NegativeCero (2988 posts) -
@believer258

Ain't got one at the moment.

I gotta try to get one but I don't know who will hire me when I might be leaving it when school starts.

Same situation here.
But I think I did well at the last job I.held.
#16 Posted by gunslingerNZ (1901 posts) -

@mandude: Are you able to explain the Isle of Man flag to me, it's incredibly confusing...

#17 Edited by Chop (1996 posts) -

@Dunchad said:

Yup, this. My boss constantly gushes about how fast I catch on but I'm also incredibly lazy and take any and all short cuts I can.

So, yeah, in short, I'm a bad employee. I'd fire me if I was the boss and I knew about all the bullshit I pull.

#18 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@gunslingerNZ said:

@mandude: Are you able to explain the Isle of Man flag to me, it's incredibly confusing...

Hahaha, it's the symbol of Manannan Mac Lir (from whom the isle takes its name). He was an Irish god, and the King of the Faeries, (as bastardised a term faery has come to be). He's pretty much like Odin, except maybe a bit more of a jerk at times.

#19 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

Sure am.

#20 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6295 posts) -

My boss likes me and thinks I'm a hard worker but I slack off a lot whenever possible and routinely show up late and leave as early as possible.

#21 Posted by UitDeToekomst (707 posts) -

I'm fucking awesome. And modest.

#22 Posted by Ketchupp (672 posts) -

I'm fantastic at my job, but I half-ass everything because my bosses are idiots.

#23 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I'm ok.

#24 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

No. I know.

#25 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

No job right now, but if I am treated well I work hard, if not then I don't work as hard.

I am naturally good at jobs that involve lifting things though, so I am good at those no matter what.

#26 Posted by UncleClassy (405 posts) -

Assolutely not. I show up atleast a few minutes late to work every  day and the mangers just don't give a fuck because I'm one of their best workers.

#27 Posted by RUDEMIESTER (56 posts) -

Nice Try Jim.

#28 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

I'm replying to this whilst at work and I'm also chatting to the GB Gaming Hub on their IRC channel about Civ V. So take that how you will. I do get all my work done however but if I applied myself more I could be super pro-active rather than the more reactive approach I take now.

#29 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I do my best, but I'm not meant to be a flowershop clerk forever, so I won't be 100% all the time.

#30 Posted by Svenzon (718 posts) -

I'm doing pretty well, though according to my latest (and only) performance review I can be a bit cynical about customers. Nowadays I let people ask for my help, rather than asking if they need it myself. I guess working in a small town where most people are either dumb, rude or both is taking its toll on me.

#31 Posted by MattyFTM (14364 posts) -

I think I'm a damned good employee. I'm always on time, I'm never off sick and I'm always willing to do as much overtime as they want to offer me.

#32 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

I guess I'm good at my job. After some layoffs and shift shuffling, I'm the only person in my department that used to be four of us. Being the last man standing could be both a good and bad thing I suppose.

#33 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Self employed means I kind of have to be.

#34 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1171 posts) -

I mostly do data entry so I just put on my headphones and zone out for 8 hours. It's a pretty easy job but I get distracted easily with my phone and am constantly late so I'd say no.

#35 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Sales associate at Target, very simple job and easy as well.

#36 Posted by ZeroRegistry (75 posts) -

I'm not the best worker in my department, but I'm far from the worst. If the people I worked for weren't absolutely retarded, I'd probably excel a little more. Oh well.

#37 Posted by excido (199 posts) -

I'm up for a promotion, they are actually creating a new position for me so I'd say that I'm a good worker. Actually yesterday was five years with my company.