• 90 results
Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By Hunter5024

Poll Do you tip for extremely poor service? (292 votes)

Tip Normally 8%
Tip Significantly less 35%
Do not tip 58%

I ordered a sandwich from some local place called Baggins. After an already generous hour long estimated delivery time expired, I called to see what was up. They said the driver should be here any minute. That was an hour ago. So should I tip, when and if they arrive? I'll let you decide Giant Bomb.

• 
DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By DeeGee

Hell no, don't tip. At that point, they're lucky that you even pay.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Typically I still tip unless the service was that. By that point I am going to say something to the manager before I leave AND I don't leave a tip. That's only ever happened less than a handful of times.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If they do a shitty job, they don't deserve the tip.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By oldenglishc

Is it a place that you order from often? If it is and they usually have a good product, I say tip like you normally do.

If not, don't tip and never order from there again.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

I only tip when it's specifically outstanding service.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mosespippy

I don't tip, but I also don't live in a place where tradition deems that I must tip. Dad always tips though. I remember once we had a meal take 3 hours to arrive to our table and he still tipped. If it's delivery I'd order something from another place and tell the guy from the first place to fuck off.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deegee said:

My card was charged as soon as I placed the order, otherwise I would've cancelled it like half an hour ago.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I only tip when I feel the person did their job well or went out of their way to do it really well. Anything less I don't tip. I hate the idea that it's expected you tip. Tipping is supposed to be there to show your gratitude for them doing a tough job well and to incentivise the person doing it to want to do a good job so they get a bigger tip.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I exercise an extremely flexible scale for tipping. I've only not tipped a couple times. The most recent time was because the waitress had overcharged my table a few beers and couldn't explain who she thought had drank them. I told her that if she wouldn't fix the bill, I wouldn't tip her.

I'll tip 30% for a decent bartender who I intend to be ordering from all night though. It pays to have a friend by the taps when you're competing for attention with a half dozen other patrons.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@deegee said:

actually, funny story about paying for your food... My family went out to dinner not too long ago. The service was so absolutely terrible the manager copped about 90% of our meal. It saved us like 200 bucks. Pretty sure we still gave them a small tip that night because they were suuuuuper busy. But it took us fucking 3 hours to eat dinner. Somehow they 'lost' our dinner orders and the service was unbearably slow. Everyone was complaining that night.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

I don't tip period. We simply don't do it up here.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't tip for very bad service, but you're asking about delivery. In that case, other factors might be considered, such as weather, traffic, etc.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

I generally have 3 tiers of tip service qualifications

• Great job and fantastic service = ~20% tip
  • Good job and adequate service = Typical 15%
  • Shitty service = no tip

I feel like my system works for me.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By 49th

So your sandwich is basically 2 hours late at that point? A sandwich takes 10 minutes to make - call up and ask for your money back.

If it does ever arrive certainly don't tip them.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I never tip. Ever.

PontiusPyrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PontiusPyrite

I always give a base tip, and just tip more if the service is good. It mostly boils down to their attitude with me, rather than the actual service, since there's no telling what bizarre circumstances might be going on, and it would be unfair to deny the server or delivery person for something that's the kitchen's fault, for example.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#17  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

I still tip even if it's horrible service since it's possible that day might just be a really bad day for them. If it keeps happening I'll most likely just stop going there.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By McGhee

If you are talking about delivery, similar to pizza delivery, then 99% of the time if your food is late it is not the driver's fault. It just means that either there are too many orders and they are not being made quickly enough or there are too many orders and not enough drivers. But if I was waiting 2 hours, I would just cancel the order anyway and probably never order again unless they are usually really good.

In terms of tipping a server, I almost always tip generously. I even tip well if the service wasn't great. The only time I won't tip is if the waiter is extremely rude or even hostile, which has only happened to me a couple times.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Bad services means bad tip, now I haven't had awful terrible service where it I wouldn't tip, just service of "Oh you guys are a young couple and won't tip well anyways so I'll give you that type of service," and thus they get a bad tip.

I'm shockingly a very generous tipper, I wouldn't think so but I am

omghisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Slow service usually is not the server's fault. You're punishing the wrong person and depriving someone of a living wage.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

A two hour wait? I wouldn't take it out on the driver, I'd call the place up and see what was going on.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zeforgotten

When I saw this I thought you meant at a real restaurant and the waiter was an idiot.
I don't know about the delivery guy, traffic could be a bitch, weather could be terrible(probably isn't, but you know.

I guess, just tip him less is what I would do.
Even if it is his fault, if he's clever enough to come up with a super obvious lie of a story he gets a tip for effort!

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After two and a half hours my sandwich finally arrived. As the poll dictated, I decided not to tip, but the guy walked away so quickly that unless I had called after him I wouldn't have been able to tip even if I intended to. Clearly he didn't expect one. Now I just want to know what could have possibly taken this long.

Also my grilled sandwich is all cold =/

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@omghisam said:

Slow service usually is not the server's fault. You're punishing the wrong person and depriving someone of a living wage.

A few bucks won't kill them. If it wasn't his fault, he should have explained the cause of the delay. It's also not their wage. They already get their wage. If I was the driver, I wouldn't have expected a tip. I also would have explained the issue.

Most people also greatly exaggerate the "plight" of people working jobs like pizza/food delivery. You can live on minimum wage just fine. Anything more? Get a better fuckin' job. Can't? Get some credentials.

My first job I was making $1600 a month within the first 3 months. That's plenty to get by on, and it wasn't that much more than min wage. I also got that job without a diploma or a degree.

matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't tip for nothing, why should I pay you for doing your job. Tell your boss to give you a liveable wage, you've probably earned it.

Although, I don't live in a magical world where I can get grilled sandwiches delivered. It's clearly better than what I'm living with.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ajamafalous

I tip, because, unfortunately, this is America. I do tip way less though. Last week my roommates and I went to a restaurant down the street (that we go to like once every week or two). The greeter lady seated us and told us a waiter would be right with us, but nobody talked to us for between 10 and 15 minutes, after which two other waiters came and got drink orders before the guy whose table it actually was came by. We each ended up tipping a dollar on what ended up being a $45+ bill.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

If my food was that late I would wage a campaign of destruction against the establishment.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By LackingSaint

I can count the number of times i've had a genuinely shitty experience from service staff on one hand, but in those cases no I didn't tip. If the service is at least mediocre ("servicable" (; ) then i'll give them an okay tip. Then again, as an english dude i'm the only one of my friends who tips the pizza guy, so what do I know

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By coaxmetal

yes, exclusively. I tip in inverse proportion to the quality of the service.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Some people can have off nights but honestly, I don't think I have ever had anything that would be considered bad service. Average most likely. But at the same time, I know tips in a lot of places get shared by everyone. The cooks and the busboys and dishwashers.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@riboflavin said:

yes, exclusively. I tip in inverse proportion to the quality of the service.

I knew I should've put a "tip more" option.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I tip 3 dollars for every tip I give. No matter the service or delivery charge. Most of them make like 5 dollars an hour so that kind brings them up to normal wage for that hour, plus that seems fine to me. Even if it is shitty service, they gotta eat and pay bills too.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Had to post that as its the obligatory tipping video.... I usually tip normally no matter what though.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omghisam said:

A few bucks won't kill them. If it wasn't his fault, he should have explained the cause of the delay. It's also not their wage. They already get their wage. If I was the driver, I wouldn't have expected a tip. I also would have explained the issue.

Most people also greatly exaggerate the "plight" of people working jobs like pizza/food delivery. You can live on minimum wage just fine. Anything more? Get a better fuckin' job. Can't? Get some credentials.

My first job I was making $1600 a month within the first 3 months. That's plenty to get by on, and it wasn't that much more than min wage. I also got that job without a diploma or a degree.

I don't know if you know how it works for delivery drivers...they often get paid LESS than minimum wage so they really don't get a real wage. When I worked delivery I got paid 5 dollars an hour...I could never dream of making 1600 dollars a month back then.

Not saying the delivery person was right, just saying...

ALSO be careful when you call a place and ask when your food is coming because they will almost always lie and say "the driver's on the way," they do this to save their ass. Most often its busy in the kitchen and the driver hasn't even left yet.

You don't know how many times I would roll up to a house an hour late because the kitchen was backed up and be screamed at for being late when I literally left the restaurant 5 minutes before and the food was piping hot.

Again, I don't know the situation, just a few things to keep in mind Bomber.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think there is something seriously wrong when you are expected to tip to make up for a company's refusal to pay their staff decent wage. But I am from New Zealand where we do not tip ever.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#37  Edited By pyromagnestir

About 5 minutes ago I thought "I wonder if that dude ever got his sandwich?" and went looking to check this thread.

My life's in a real great place right now... I've got a lot of great stuff going on... Can't you tell?

sigh

Well, at least the answer was yes, dude did get that sandwich. Personally I would have tipped, but not a lot, and asked what was up in a friendly way, just to satiate my curiosity.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@counterclockwork87: $5 an hour + tips, for one. For another, not making $1600 doesn't mean a whole lot. $1600 is enough to live off of in relative comfort. That is way more than enough to survive on.

And to be fair, 90% of the people I have either known to be the "delivery boy"/have had show up on my door step with food have all been kids just looking for some money on the side, not people trying to support a family.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By sins_of_mosin

The only time I've not tipped was at a sit down joint and the waitress was simple awful. And I was going to leave a few bucks that were left on a gift card but the little bitch didn't bother to leave a pen so I just left.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tip less. So the other day was a great example, went to this place and got a burrito and a beer with some chips and guac. Server came to our table twice and brought my friend the wrong beer one of the times, so she asked it I wanted it. Sure I thought thinking that it would be free or discounted or something since she left it sitting on the bar for a bit before offering. Nope, I got my bill and the pint was 5 dollars. 5 DOLLARS for a warm beer. I just cut her tip in half for the little bit of serving she did do and went on with my life. I've worked as a server so I know that if someone wants a tip, especially when the joint is empty void three tables, they should put in their A game.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

I only tip when it's specifically outstanding service.

That's not how it works.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The great part about this is that by having you guys determine my actions, I've eliminated all guilt I would have felt for not tipping. "Sorry dude, blame the internet."

Also a couple of people have mentioned that it was more likely the kitchens fault, but because my sandwich was cold and my diet pepsi was all watered down from melted ice, I have to assume my food had been ready for quite a while.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43  Edited By DocHaus

Didn't we just have this thread on the GB Forums? Whenever I read threads like this one I lose a little more faith in humanity.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TyCobb

I tip and adhere to the 15%. However, I don't think twice about giving a lower tip if warranted; sometimes none. A tip is a tip. If you do not serve me to my satisfaction, then you aren't earning your 15%.

The biggest problem I have with tipping is gratuity. Gratuity is complete bullshit. Not because of a fixed 18%-20%, but because it gives the waiters a get out of jail free card. They can slack off and not care as much about your table because they are 99% of the time guaranteed to get that tip. A lot of establishments will not even waive the gratuity no matter how much you bitch. It's fucked.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024: You're still accountable for your actions and the repercussions from them, but in this case, some people are right. You don't tip for extremely poor service. If it's just poor service, fine, give them a small tip. The tip should be within a range depending on the level of service.

Those saying that they never tip are wrong though, and you shouldn't take that advice. That's nonsense.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SpaceRunaway

Man, some of you guys are tight fisted. The service has to be aggressively awful for me to start thinking about not tipping. Even if it's relatively poor service, I'll leave at least something.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I'm always torn when the food is very late or improperly prepared. Sometimes its the waiters' fault, and sometimes it isn't, and there's no way I'm ever going to get an honest answer about it.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Cameron

This is a totally culturally relative thing. In most places other than the US servers earn a real wage like any other person who works, so tipping is either only done for exceptional service or not done at all. I'm generalizing of course, there are probably a few other places where tipping is expected (Canada for sure, but servers get paid at least minimum wage), but there are lots of places where it just isn't a thing. When I was in Australia no one tipped, the service was almost universally terrible as a result, but it wasn't expected from the servers at all. I mention this because some people seem to think that anyone who doesn't tip is depriving their server of a living wage and that just isn't the case outside of the US. The US just has really weird wage regulations.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As somebody who used to rely on tips back in the day, I always tip, even if the service is shit. Just don't expect more than a buck from me if the service sucks.