• 95 results
#1 Posted by artofwar420 (6312 posts) -

#2 Edited by artofwar420 (6312 posts) -

I used to never tip my hairdresser or hairstylist or whatever you want to call them, but once one of them gave me the stink eye and said "you are encouraged to tip us." First time in my 20-odd years of life that I've encountered this. Now, have I just been careless and is tipping the person that cuts your hair a thing?

#3 Posted by Commando (1877 posts) -

Yes. I go to a chain called "SportsClips" and I tip them 2-3 dollars for a $15 haircut.

#4 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

I use to back when I had hair and went to the barber shop.

If you do go you should always tip.

#5 Posted by Hector (3380 posts) -
All the time!
#6 Posted by VisariLoyalist (3000 posts) -

well... no only because my barber own his own shop so... somehow I think I'm justified in just paying his asking rate.

#7 Posted by Chaser324 (6744 posts) -

Typically only a couple dollars, but yes.

#8 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2133 posts) -

Nope.  Australia do things differently here and most people here are pretty fine without tips.

#9 Posted by Icemael (6364 posts) -

I live in Sweden. I tip no one.

#10 Posted by JoMu (117 posts) -

I don't tip my barber on each visit but I give him a check at Christmas. I think of it as similar to a tip.

#11 Posted by afrofools (1335 posts) -
@ShiftyMagician said:
Nope.  Australia do things differently here and most people here are pretty fine without tips.
I just went a couple of hours ago, I actually thought about it but knew it would be pretty weird because it's not normal in our country. The pricing is cheaper in America because they tip on top of what they pay, among other things.
#12 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Tipping is not common here in Norway. We sometimes tip waiters in restaurants(No, MCD is not a restaurant)

#13 Posted by Suicidal_SNiper (949 posts) -

I shave my head so I never actually need to go to a hairdresser. But, when I used to go to a haircut place I never tipped. I've never actually heard of people tipping hairdressers. Is this common practice?

#14 Edited by Chop (1998 posts) -

Yes, they makes it easy.  

Charges $15 and most people just give a twenty =/

#15 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

I go to this local place and they're pretty good so I always tip 15%-20% depending on my mood.

#16 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Yes they are a service. They don't see much from that 15 bucks, and they are paying to rent out a booth usually. Depends on where I go but its usually anywhere from 5-10 bucks. However I havent had a hair cut cheaper than 20 bucks in a long time (must be that NYC thing...)

#17 Posted by artofwar420 (6312 posts) -

@Suicidal_SNiper: That's what I'm wondering. Looking at the poll, it seems that most people do tip, at least in the U.S. where I am currently too.

#18 Posted by hinderk (690 posts) -

Yup, I always tip my barber.

#19 Posted by Commando (1877 posts) -

@Suicidal_SNiper said:

I shave my head so I never actually need to go to a hairdresser. But, when I used to go to a haircut place I never tipped. I've never actually heard of people tipping hairdressers. Is this common practice?

In the Southern US it's expected to tip anyone who does you a service that you could do yourself. Such as Haircuts, waiter/waitress that brings you food, mowing your lawn, moving you in, etc.

#20 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -
@ahaisthisourchance said:

Tipping is not common here in Norway. We sometimes tip waiters in restaurants(No, MCD is not a restaurant)

Why only sometimes if I might ask? Do Waiters in Norway get a regular salary/rate? As in the US they usually make only about half of minimum wage and they are working on tips.
#21 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4826 posts) -

All the time. I know most of the people who work there anyway and for some reason it feels odd not to tip..

#22 Posted by Bubbly (258 posts) -

I'm in the party of giving a twenty when charged $15 for a haircut. I live in the U.S. so tipping for services is the norm. That is unless I get a really bad service of course.

#23 Posted by SSully (4328 posts) -

@Chop said:

Yes, they makes it easy. Charges $15 and most people just give a twenty =/

That's exactly what I do most of the time. If I think they did a poor job, or had a bad attitude for whatever reason Ill give them 2 bucks.

#24 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1771 posts) -

I kind of have to. I feel bad if I don't.

#25 Posted by Choffy (444 posts) -

Always. Probably much more generous than I should too; I'll make a $15 haircut $20.

#26 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2133 posts) -
@afrofools said:
@ShiftyMagician said:
I just went a couple of hours ago, I actually thought about it but knew it would be pretty weird because it's not normal in our country. The pricing is cheaper in America because they tip on top of what they pay, among other things.
That's definitely true.  Weird to me that it really does work that way over there even now.
#27 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

@Subject2Change said:

Why only sometimes if I might ask? Do Waiters in Norway get a regular salary/rate? As in the US they usually make only about half of minimum wage and they are working on tips.

We don't have minimum wage here. It's all based on the employee's respected unions or workorganisations in collaboration with the employer's organisation.(It's complicated)

On average a worker here gets paid well enough to live comfortably.

We just tip if we feel like it or when they've done a great job. A waiter/waitress probably earns more than someone who works for ie. Gamestop.

#28 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

@Subject2Change said:

We don't have minimum wage here. It's all based on the employee's respected unions or workorganisations in collaboration with the employer's organisation.(It's complicated)

On average a worker here gets paid well enough to live comfortably.

We just tip if we feel like it or when they've done a great job. A waiter/waitress probably earns more than someone who works for ie. Gamestop.

Figured as much. And that makes not tipping more acceptable. Minimum Wage in NYC is like 8 bucks, a waiter would prob get 4 bucks. So they live off their tips.
#29 Posted by Suicidal_SNiper (949 posts) -

@Commando said:

@Suicidal_SNiper said:

In the Southern US it's expected to tip anyone who does you a service that you could do yourself. Such as Haircuts, waiter/waitress that brings you food, mowing your lawn, moving you in, etc.

I tip all those people (and more) but I've never heard of tipping a hairdresser. Maybe I've ignorantly been perceived as an asshole by all the hairdressers I've ever gone to. In which case, sorry =\

#30 Edited by NathHaw (2803 posts) -

Since I've been paying for my haircuts, I always tipped.

@Suicidal_SNiper said:

@Commando said:

@Suicidal_SNiper said:

I tip all those people (and more) but I've never heard of tipping a hairdresser. Maybe I've ignorantly been perceived as an asshole by all the hairdressers I've ever gone to. In which case, sorry =\

Oh, man! Haha. Yeah, totally expected in the US.

#31 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2221 posts) -

Yes, I was brought up to always tip a barber/stylist.

#32 Posted by Scrubiii (24 posts) -

I'm British, so I don't tip. I tried to tip a waiter once, he didn't realise it was a tip, told me I had miscounted my change and gave the tip back.

#33 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3625 posts) -

Nope, I never tip. It would probably be considered rude.

#34 Posted by gamefreak9 (2419 posts) -

This pretty much, i've always believed in merit tipping. 
#35 Posted by EchoForge (154 posts) -

Yes. It really freaks out haircutters here in the UK, as it something I picked up in Canada and not really huge here.

#36 Posted by rawrsair (821 posts) -

I don't but that's only because of the current climate, I just can't afford to pay tips on top of the money for the haircut

#37 Posted by artofwar420 (6312 posts) -

@gamefreak9: Damn, it's been a while since I've seen that movie.

#38 Edited by RecSpec (3943 posts) -

I'll usually give a 4 dollar tip on a 13 dollar haircut just because he doesn't hit me in the head for not keeping still.

#39 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -

No.

Their prices have only gotten higher and getting my hair done is often between 20-30 euros so they'll should be happy if I don't go Sweeney Todd on their asses.

#40 Edited by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

No, as I don't go to one any more. Living in the country it's a pain in the ass to find a drive into the city to get my hair cut, and since all I ever did was just get them to use the clippers to shave it without any guards on I just doing it myself. It takes like 5 min to do standing in front of a mirror. When I did go however, I didn't tip. I just never saw the point seeing as how it was the most basic of things to do that took zero effort and they already charge me way too much to do just that. If I had of asked them to do some elaborate thing then sure I would have, but for what I got I just never saw the point. 

I would like to add though, that I remember when I was younger and did go to a barber that there was this old guy that went in every month to get his hair cut, and he would just sit down in the first open chair, and tell the lady "I don't care what you do, just get me out of here in less then 10 minuets." If they did then he always handed them a $100 and walked out. He never spoke to them or anything, he was just in and out. So you can imagine when they saw him walk through the door they scrambled to be the one to cut his hair.

#41 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

With the possible exception of people who own their own shops, most hairdressers rely on tip money to survive. So yes.

#42 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3504 posts) -

Yes, usually 40-50% if they do a good job. It's more important than tipping a waiter/waitress if you ask me. A bad haircut stays with you longer than an hour of shitty table service, so reward them for their efforts.

#44 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

No, because I just grab my hair trimmer and shave down to half an inch or something.

#45 Posted by DeeGee (2143 posts) -

No, since a hair cut has like a 100% markup or something silly like that. The tip is included in the price.

#46 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4893 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
No, as I don't go to one any more. Living in the country it's a pain in the ass to find a drive into the city to get my hair cut, and since all I ever did was just get them to use the clippers to shave it without any guards on I just doing it myself. It takes like 5 min to do standing in front of a mirror. When I did go however, I didn't tip. 

I just never saw the point seeing as how it was the most basic of things to do that took zero effort and they already charge me way too much to do just that. If I had of asked them to do some elaborate thing then sure I would have, but for what I got I just never saw the point. 

I would like to add though, that I remember when I was younger and did go to a barber that there was this old guy that went in every month to get his hair cut, and he would just sit down in the first open chair, and tell the lady "I don't care what you do, just get me out of here in less then 10 minuets." If they did then he always handed them a $100 and walked out. He never spoke to them or anything, he was just in and out. So you can imagine when they saw him walk through the door they scrambled to be the one to cut his hair.
You make a habit of being an utter shithead, don't you? 

Hairdressers/stylists/barbers deserve just as much respect for being professionals in their field as anyone else. Just because you like to walk around looking like a fucking shaved gorilla doesn't mean the person who cut your hair doesn't deserve respect or gratuity for their service (which you decided to solicit from them).
#47 Edited by CrimsonNoir (403 posts) -

yes, it just seemed like one of those professions that are socially encouraged to tip as a way to judge their work. same for waiters and what not, though i usually tip them decently even if the services was just okay. i just feel these people are working hard jobs to make ends meet and i have a good enough job that i can afford that generosity. of course if i was struggling i wouldn't be so generous.

#48 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3504 posts) -

@tfsteefs said:

@Origina1Penguin said:

Yes, usually 40-50% if they do a good job. It's more important than tipping a waiter/waitress if you ask me. A bad haircut stays with you longer than an hour of shitty table service, so reward them for their efforts.

How much do you pay for haircuts because 40-50% on an 80+ish tab is amazingly high, at least that's what I pay for my 3 times a year hair-cut

Men's haircut is $11 (US) where I go. They mostly serve military, so there are no washes, perms, etc. I've never been any where that charged more than $20 just to cut my hair. A woman gets a bit more done to her hair usually. Regardless, if I went somewhere that seemed to have inflated prices, then I would tip less.

#50 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I cut my own hair ^^