• 89 results
#51 Posted by helvetica (127 posts) -

@noobsauceg7: That's awesome! Winter marathon training is tough. What marathon are you doing in April? What's been your favorite one? I was eying the Pittsburgh Marathon last Fall but it's not going to happen this year.

#52 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1628 posts) -

First off, cycling does count, it's both cardio and muscular workout. So right of the bat you don't know what you're talking about.

But yes, I do. 6 days a week, Each day is saved for a different core muscle group with each beginning and ending with a 15 minute run.

I was once 300 pounds, now I'm 195. So I do know what I'm doing.

#53 Edited by Fattony12000 (7597 posts) -

In a few short weeks, yes, I will be training the most out of anyone here on Giant Bomb dot com.

#54 Posted by Zevvion (2277 posts) -

I don't. Just don't see the point in it.

There are countless health benefits to training, such as better organ functionality and delaying decay of vital tissues, strengthening of the bones, increasing bloodflow, increased resistance to western diseases, healthier and stronger skin and reproductive organ functions and many more. A great deal of mental health benefits as well. But I would honestly guess that the reason most people that train (and continue doing so) do it because they like doing it. It's fun. Probably the biggest point.

#55 Posted by mageemagoo (202 posts) -

@sooty said:

No but judging from all the XL+ requests in the PAX t-shirt thread, a lot of people here might want to start.

Thats kinda rude... I wear an XL and I've been lifting for 9 years. I'm probably more fit than you'll ever be.

#56 Posted by Zevvion (2277 posts) -

First off, cycling does count, it's both cardio and muscular workout. So right of the bat you don't know what you're talking about.

But yes, I do. 6 days a week, Each day is saved for a different core muscle group with each beginning and ending with a 15 minute run.

I specifically asked to hear about training, not any form of physical activity. I gave an example of 'cycling to work' as not qualifying as training, and it doesn't. There is a distinct difference between physical activity as a whole and training or sports specifically. Sounds to me like you may have misread my post. I know full well what I'm talking about.

Also, you really achieved something with the weight loss you mentioned, but just that fact alone does not mean you know what you're doing. The number of people that lose weight in a unhealthy manner outweighs the number that do so properly. Not saying anything about you, just saying that achievement doesn't imply you suddenly know exactly what you're doing.

#57 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1628 posts) -

@zevvion said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

I specifically asked to hear about training, not any form of physical activity. I gave an example of 'cycling to work' as not qualifying as training, and it doesn't. There is a distinct difference between physical activity as a whole and training or sports specifically. Sounds to me like you may have misread my post. I know full well what I'm talking about.

Also, you really achieved something with the weight loss you mentioned, but just that fact alone does not mean you know what you're doing. The number of people that lose weight in a unhealthy manner outweighs the number that do so properly. Not saying anything about you, just saying that achievement doesn't imply you suddenly know exactly what you're doing.

No, but the just under $1,000 I payed for a nutritionist and personal trainer, does.

Also that sounded fight-y and I didn't mean it to be, sorry.

#58 Edited by Demoskinos (15119 posts) -

No because I don't have to. I'm 180lbs 6' 2" and I stay that way constantly. Could I be in better shape? Sure. But I'm no where near any significant health risks from lack of exercise. Also disappointed in the amount of condescension in this thread.

#59 Edited by Bobbyr (80 posts) -

When I first read the title, I was thinking "Hey soul sister something something mister"

I do try to work out when time allows now-a-days though

#60 Posted by Zevvion (2277 posts) -

@zevvion said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

No, but the just under $1,000 I payed for a nutritionist and personal trainer, does.

Also that sounded fight-y and I didn't mean it to be, sorry.

No hard feelings. It is still an impressive achievement. Glad to hear you took it seriously and worked for it. Sounds like money well spent.

#61 Posted by BambamCZ (147 posts) -

I work out every day and on weekends I go to a gym. Though nothing extreme, just basic stuff to keep up in shape after I mangled my leg and can't do martial arts anymore some time ago.

#62 Posted by SharkEthic (1062 posts) -
@juzie said:

I train UFC.

You train a mixed martial arts promotion company?

#63 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@sooty said:

No but judging from all the XL+ requests in the PAX t-shirt thread, a lot of people here might want to start.

I'm probably more fit than you'll ever be.

Whoa tough guy.

#64 Edited by SavePoint (101 posts) -

Actually, just today I reached my 100-pounds-lost milestone (went from 305 to 205). It took me a little over 7 months. I started out by doing the Insanity workout program and went through that whole program a few times. After that I started running 3 miles a night, but then my treadmill broke down so I've been going back and forth between doing an Insanity workout and running outside when it is semi-warm. I have also been eating a lot better.

My next step is to start weight lifting, build up more muscle and toning - however I can't afford a gym membership (and I have little kids) and don't have weight lifting equipment... so I guess need to figure that out...

#65 Posted by KentonClay (257 posts) -

I exercise, but only so that I don't become completely unfuckable. Luckily that doesn't take too much because there's pretty much nothing I hate more than working out.

#66 Posted by j0lter (264 posts) -

I have a hard-labor type of job, so technically.

#68 Edited by axlvandamme (102 posts) -

Yep.

#69 Edited by Juzie (168 posts) -

@juzie said:

I train UFC.

You train a mixed martial arts promotion company?

It's an inside joke.

#70 Edited by ThePickle (4191 posts) -

Just the SEPTA.

#71 Edited by pyrodactyl (2288 posts) -

@sooty said:

@hunter5024 said:

@sooty said:

Some people have to wear XL+ sizes because of their height. I basically have to choose between baggy clothing or flashing the bottom of my torso all the time.

I'm 6ft and an American sized medium shirt still goes way below my torso, maybe there's some 7 foot monsters on here.

Maybe most of your height is in your legs or something? Regular sizes go below my waist normally, but if I'm sitting down or bending over or lifting up my arm at all I'm showing skin, and I'm only 6'2.

Depends, some shirt aren't real long but I'm 6' and almost all my shirts are medium size.

#72 Edited by decko5 (159 posts) -

I'm on week 6 of regular gym-going.

I feel great, lost weight, added muscle. Shirts and pants feel WAY better.

High school shirts fit again!

Only thing that sucks is the "eating better" part.

#73 Posted by joshwent (2329 posts) -

Been doing DDP Yoga for like 5 days now. So yeah... I'm pretty ripped.

#74 Posted by OleMarthin (316 posts) -

Yes I do, 3 times a week, a combination of strength and cardio.

#75 Posted by Karkarov (3232 posts) -

This could be just my 20-year-old metabolism speaking, but if there's one piece of advice I'd give to everyone, regardless of what age or weight, its to kick the soft drinks (outside of parties/social events of course). Everybody seriously underestimates how full of sugar they are, and once you kick them, its actually pretty easy just to continue drinking water whenever you're thirsty. I'm really glad I did.

(Sorry if I come off as a pretentious ass here)

Nope you are right. About two months ago I stopped drinking anything with calories in it (which takes out all but like 2-3 sodas) and couple days ago I had my first actual Coke Cola in like a month and a half... It actually felt like it was giving me a headache gulping it down. All I drink most of the time now is straight water or the flavored waters that have "just enough" added to make them taste like a juice drink. Really helps for losing weight too, cause trust me, my metabolism is shit. I want to lose weight I have to basically stop eating.

#76 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

I train my ability at smash.

#77 Posted by razielrioux (129 posts) -

I trained for the Canadian Death Race 2 years ago, but I signed up for the event, and used the fact that I had that coming up to train for it. Currently I am not training, but there is a marathon in September that I will be signing up for, once I do, then it is go go go on treadmills and hiking mountains in the summer.

#78 Posted by Blomakrans (149 posts) -

I train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and a bit of no gi grappling. Grappling is one of the few things that can get my mind in exactly the place where it needs to be. Nothing makes feel as energetic and happy about myself as a good rolling session does. You get great cardio training, have lots of fun, feel good about yourself and time really flies when you're rolling. Also nothing feels quite like it when you've trained a new move for some time and you finally pull it off in a fight. I don't think it's a coincidence that most people who try out BJJ and stick with it for some time fall in love with the sport.

If you get the chance to try no-gi grappling or BJJ out, by all means do. Many people are afraid of being in too bad shape, being too heavy, too light, too young or getting smashed by more experienced practitioners at training. However, there's no need to be afraid. The BJJ community is probably the most newbie friendly community I've ever seen and physical attributes don't really matter that much when it comes to grappling, technique trumps everything else.

#79 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3712 posts) -

@joshwent said:

Been doing DDP Yoga for like 5 days now. So yeah... I'm pretty ripped.

Alright time to throw up the diamond cutter and push out. HYAHH!

#80 Posted by Dimi3je (362 posts) -

yup, train freecliming, also work out 6 days per week.

#81 Posted by theoracleofgame (96 posts) -

I work out 6 days of the week. I do sprinting and aerobic work for 5 of those days, and then lots of upper body stuff once per week.

#82 Posted by mercutio123 (472 posts) -

I usually train my body everyday. Though lately I've kinda been in depression mode and slacking off. Anyway I'll go to the gym and do an hour of Cardio on the elliptical, though you'll never catch me doing this kind of training.

I got nothing but respect for the guy in the vid, but this vid is just weird. You could say he was trying to become a saiyan, or he imagine bustin the greatest nut of his existence, but regardless I don't see myself doing this. Unless I really feel like screaming for some odd reason.

Elliot Hulse is a madman. Love his videos.

#83 Posted by mercutio123 (472 posts) -

Also I just got back into training for rowing, which I had to give up a few years back. Back to 9 sessions a weekish

#84 Posted by RobotHamster (4177 posts) -

Yup about 5 days a week of lifting. Just started a new routine of 3 days upper body, 2 days lower and core. I try and watch what I eat as well, I can pretty much eat anything I want but I try to avoid fast foods and stuff like that. With my metabolism, work and lifting it's really hard for me to bulk so I've got to eat about 3-4000 calories a day if I want to see any gains which I don't get to as often as I want. So I've been trying out a new supplement which gives a shake about 2000 calories, 300g of carbs and maybe 70g of protien... which is a lot. And in the summer I'm going to try and add some cardio as well.

It's been weird for me growing up never fully fitting into a group and just bouncing around. I play sports and work out to stay pretty muscular and am tall so it's easy for me to look threatening. But at the same time I'm just a big nerd who's into games and anime, but then listen to 90s hip hop, some electronic and I don't wear clothes that put me into a specific style. The list could go on but everyone just says it's hard to stick me into a specific group which is both good and bad I think. Sure I'm versatile but that just means I'm never 100% with a certain thing and by judging you at first glance people wouldn't know I can talk to them about anything from lifting to persona to golden era rap.

#85 Posted by Driadon (3014 posts) -

6 days a week I do some sort of muscle work, with both a visual and measurable goal. I also would count my bike to work, because my commute is over an hour long each way. 2 hours of biking 5 days a week? Short of goal setting, I would count that as training.

#86 Posted by ottoman673 (559 posts) -

I'm starting a workout program tomorrow, actually. 30 minutes of cardio daily with upper body and core training Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and lower on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and some Saturdays.

I'm not obscenely obese or anything, I'm 6'1", 200 but I'd like to lose a bit of excess in my gut and just look better overall. Maybe get back to running races and whatnot, as well...

I'm just not completely certain what to do with my diet. I'm cutting out the sodas and fast food, and I know I should focus on white meats like chicken and Turkey and my vegetables, but is that enough?

#87 Posted by SinGulaR (2382 posts) -

I have a daily routine of 20 - 25 push-ups and 50 sit-ups a day. That's all.

#88 Edited by MacEG (256 posts) -

I just eat fresh food. No processed nonsense.

I also have kids so that's my workout.

#89 Posted by Mogoping (96 posts) -

Go to 14:44. Your welcome.

#90 Posted by i_Dead (45 posts) -

Hahaha, damn i thought that was about catching a train LOL. Sometimes, after work on my feet last thing i want to do is lift shit, dont mind lifting a beer tho

#91 Edited by Griffinmills (196 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

@hunter5024 said:

@sooty said:

@hunter5024 said:

@sooty said:

Some people have to wear XL+ sizes because of their height. I basically have to choose between baggy clothing or flashing the bottom of my torso all the time.

I'm 6ft and an American sized medium shirt still goes way below my torso, maybe there's some 7 foot monsters on here.

Maybe most of your height is in your legs or something? Regular sizes go below my waist normally, but if I'm sitting down or bending over or lifting up my arm at all I'm showing skin, and I'm only 6'2.

Depends, some shirt aren't real long but I'm 6' and almost all my shirts are medium size.

Interesting, 6'6" here and a 2XL Long has been perfect for me since about Freshmen year of College. Not the most common size so often have to grab a 3XL or even 4 if it's some "cheap" shirt but then they just look baggy as all get out. Body differences can be dramatic even amongst people of similar height. When I did amateur wrestling in High School and College and would wrestle dudes of comparable size and height. Sometimes I'd get down in position on a reset and find some dude could have near 6 inches on you suddenly because it was all in the legs, if you were lucky. I say lucky because, sometimes he'd be some long torso-ed, barrel chested, gorilla and tear me up!

I used to keep my eyes open for shirts my size that fit all the time pre-internet days. It's not even the sizes that are inconsistent between brands, but sometimes a place like K-Mart the shirts of a single size wouldn't even all be the same. My wife bought me one of each current Giant Bomb shirt in 3XL and they are all just a tiny bit too small. Time to get back into fighting shape for me maybe.

#92 Edited by CocaineJesus (2 posts) -

Right now I'm doing a 4 day bodybuilding split and running on my off days.