• 150 results
Posted by AngriGhandi (755 posts) 10 months, 29 days ago

Poll: Do you use Adblock? (564 votes)

No - I've never used it 15%
No - I formerly used it but stopped at some point 7%
Yes - but I only use it to block "bad" ads with malware and such 4%
Yes - I block ads by default, but I make exceptions for sites I like 39%
Yes - block 'em all, let God sort 'em out 36%

This question has been asked before. Yes.

But in light of the recent strange announcement of Adblock running a crowd-funding campaign

to pay for... advertisements, promoting their ad-blocking program(??), I think now is the right time to see just how many duders 'round the Bomb use the program, and more importantly, how we/they use it.

You know, for science!

Here's their video, which you can tell is a crowd-funding video because it has music with chimes in it.

I can't wait to see what we can learn, Giant Bomb! Together!

*whimsical music*

#1 Edited by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Yes but I unlock sites I like and that don't go overboard with the advertising.

#2 Posted by Aetheldod (3511 posts) -

Nope .... I aint no dick and also dont go to ad heavy sites anyway , so no need

#3 Posted by Itwongo (1127 posts) -

I only use it to block SaltyBet ads. Gotta see my fights! I coughed up some dough to become Illuminati afterwards.

#4 Posted by mosespippy (4036 posts) -

Nope, fuck adblockers.

#5 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

Yes I adblock all sites because I'm a dick apparently.

But mostly the sites I visit the most have major issues with their ads. The ads here stack on top of each other in my browser and flash bright ass colors, the ads at youtube are overly long and considering I go to sleep a lot watching youtube ads ruin the effectiveness of video playlists and require me to disrupt my "settling down" to skip the long ads, and the ads on twitch are 10x louder than the stream you are watching, and no one in my house deserves that sound explosion.

Mostly I hate ads. Blip.tv detects your ad block and makes you wait 90 seconds through black darkness instead of watching a 30 second ad. I choose the 90 seconds of darkness.

#6 Edited by Video_Game_King (36033 posts) -
#7 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I decided today that I didn't want to use AdBlock anymore.

#8 Posted by spraynardtatum (2608 posts) -

That video creeps me the fuck out.

#9 Posted by EVO (3864 posts) -

Yes, and I dont make exceptions. As long as this site uses shitty ads it'll stay that way.

#10 Edited by EVO (3864 posts) -

Yes, and I dont make exceptions. As long as this site uses shitty ads it'll stay that way.

#11 Edited by Thekeenan (74 posts) -

I have never used it.

Now I am not usually super excited to see adds and if it is a site that I visit regularly and it has the option to pay to remove them then I usually will. Otherwise I really don't mind seeing them.

If I am not able to sit through a 30 second or so ad for the content I want to see then it probably wasn't worth it in the first place.

Frankly I was really hoping YouTube's paid channel thing was just an option to remove ads from selected channels and not separate channels entirely. However given no such option I really don't mind watching/seeing ads especially when I know it will support the creators of the content I am about to watch.

#12 Posted by Hunter5024 (5544 posts) -

For a long time I avoided it based on principle but ads have gotten worse and worse. A couple of weeks ago I had my speakers turned on, and a pretty explicit sexual ad blared throughout my entire house, then the next morning there was a "Suggested Post" in my Facebook timeline which spoiled a tv show I like. Those two things were kind of the last straw and I finally installed it, I've been twiddling with it ever since to use it in a way that I still feel okay about it. Honestly it's just made using the internet better.

I have it set to block everything by default so I can avoid getting blasted by sites I'm unfamiliar with. I've whitelisted 9-10 sites (which is most of what I visit), and I'm adding more as I think of them. The only problem I'm having right now is youtube, I can't decide whether it's worth putting up with 15 second ads in 60 second videos just so I can support the videos of channels I actually like. Currently it's whitelisted, but I'd like to find a way to only whitelist specific channels or something.

I think it's one of those things where you just gotta find what works for you. Use it enough so that you don't feel bad about it, but don't act like there's nothing wrong with it.

#13 Posted by Boboblaw (272 posts) -

Yeah I use adblock, also fuck YouTube and twitch ads, they are the most annoying.

#14 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3030 posts) -

Yes.

#15 Posted by selbie (1844 posts) -

On with exceptions for the reliable sites. When the scum of society try to sell you something, they will do it in the most invasive way possible. Fuck that.

#16 Posted by bigjeffrey (4794 posts) -

I already know what I'm going to buy so I don't need pop UPs or annoying ads telling me to Chang my mind. I usually turn it off on twitch peoples stream.

#17 Edited by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

I use it and allow certain sites to display ads.

#18 Edited by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

Advertising model won't change for the better unless it's forced to, adblock is a way to force said change. Pre adblock the only change to online advertising was them making ads more intrusive. Can't leave them to their own devices. They wont change on their own because without opposition there is no need for them to.

So yes I use adblock and yes I use it on everything. That said I do sub on and off to the site so they still get my monies.

#19 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I use AdBlock to block things that aren't even ads, sometimes. Know those stupid sidebars that scroll down with you and list the top ten top ten lists on a given site? Blocked. Feels good, man.

#20 Edited by Stonyman65 (2591 posts) -

I use adblock for everything. The only time I don't is on Giant Bomb (even though I am a premium member) and other sites that I want to support, and YouTube because the majority of people I am subscribed to are small-time YouTube partners and I like supporting them with adsense money because they deserve it for all the work they put into those videos.

Anything other than that... Fuck 'em.

#21 Posted by hanktherapper (374 posts) -

I use adblock on everything. I don't hate the idea of advertising, but I hate the way most websites uses advertising. Distracting animated gifs, some with sound, some hiding viruses. Screw them, I wouldn't support that product anyway.

#22 Edited by fuzzybunny566 (448 posts) -

I've used AdBlock for a long time and I don't see why that makes me a bad person.

#23 Posted by SigmaCloud (17 posts) -

Yup, every site, all the time. I am the scum of the earth and I'm not going to change that anytime soon.

#24 Edited by Video_Game_King (36033 posts) -

I've used AdBlock for a long time and I don't see why that makes me a bad person.

YOU ARE STEALING MONEY FROM HARD WORKING INTERNET MEN AND WOMEN AND PEEING IN CHILDREN'S MOUTHS WHILE YOU TELL THEM TO STARVE TO DEATH WITH YOUR AD-BLOCKING HATE HOLE!

Or so the arguments go.

#25 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

YOU ARE STEALING MONEY FROM HARD WORKING INTERNET MEN AND WOMEN AND PEEING IN CHILDREN'S MOUTHS WHILE YOU TELL THEM TO STARVE TO DEATH WITH YOUR AD-BLOCKING HATE HOLE!

Are you describing a Moon holiday or something? Not to be culturally insensitive or anything, but I bet a wizard would have an opinion about that stuff.

#26 Posted by Video_Game_King (36033 posts) -

@ravenlight:

Not really. We don't have that many holidays, and almost all of them are specific to a given Kingdom. The only exception is Unification Day, when the various Kingdoms united into one.

#27 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

Yes, definitely. Once I started using it it made the whole internet a faster, prettier and generally more enjoyable place.

That said, of the sites I visit frequently, the only ones I leave it on for are Twitch, YouTube and other Google services (and I think Google will be just fine without my targeted ads revenue)

#28 Edited by falserelic (5333 posts) -

Yes I use adblock I don't care if it benefits someone else. I just want to watch vids without getting spammed with shit I won't buy.

#29 Posted by Stonyman65 (2591 posts) -

I use adblock for everything. The only time I don't is on Giant Bomb (even though I am a premium member) and other sites that I want to support, and YouTube because the majority of people I am subscribed to are small-time YouTube partners and I like supporting them with adsense money because they deserve it for all the work they put into those videos.

#30 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

All the time, brah. All the time. I remember one youtuber or whatever crying over people using Adblock. Hah. Get a real job, hippie.

#31 Posted by Monkeyman04 (1009 posts) -

The main reason I use it is to block ads that could give me bad stuff since I like to use Stumbleupon. I do disable it for sites that I go to an the regular.

#32 Posted by development (2080 posts) -

I pretty much do this. Sites I like tend to be sites that don't display terrible screen-filling/page-replacing ads, so I whitelist those sites.

#33 Posted by eskimo (473 posts) -

Fuck ads, and fuck the sanctimonious people that say I have to look at this shit or I'm stealing.

#34 Posted by Disaya (283 posts) -

Same here.

#35 Edited by CornBREDX (4815 posts) -

Most people who use adblock are from an age before the internet was much more unexplored and had a lot of shady shit. There is still shady shit but it's more obvious what the good stuff is.

The good stuff needs money to survive so they have ads. Nowadays they try to find ways to make ads as out of the way as possible and i think its done fairly well for most (my best example right now is polygon but I cant fathom how they make money, their ad space is odd).

I don't know, i don't have much of an opinion on ad block and its becoming more of a hot topic recently (not just with whatever happened today but in general) and I think that's a growing problem as actual people try to make a living off the internet. While I do think they should always find ways to make ads unobtrusive- I also think ad blockers should in turn find ways to not be shitty about it. If you like content, support it, is all I'm saying. The 75% that ad block on your poll (unsurprising number really) probably don't think about or care who they affect. Maybe it doesn't matter (I don't know many people that actually use ad blockers) but just support the content you like. It wont exist if you keep out ads entirely- that's just the fact of life.

#36 Edited by UncleClassy (405 posts) -

I'm never not adblocking. But still, don't the people doing this realize the insane irony of making ads about your product which blocks ads.

#37 Posted by Monkeyman04 (1009 posts) -

@uncleclassy: But how will they get their anti-ads agenda out to the masses? =P

#38 Posted by Castiel (2532 posts) -

I have used AdBlock for a while to be honest, but this recent crowd-funding project has really left a bad taste in my mouth and for the first time I'm thinking about quitting adblock. It's really gross and the founder behind it seems like a unbearable moron.

#39 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

Since I'm pretty sure you can still run malicious scripts from ads, I'm sticking with ad block. Then again maybe I'm just paranoid like @cornbredx said. Until site owners and ad companies can get their shit straight with ads, I'll stick with being more safe than sorry.

I'll stop using it when ads are just .jpg images that have no interactivity what so ever.

#40 Posted by bushpusherr (762 posts) -

The whole situation is rotten, all around. Not to be insensitive, but I do get a little tired of hearing about it. The reality of the situation is that ad-blockers are absolutely not going away. No matter how heartfelt the stories, pleading to your audience to white-list your site or to stop using ad-blockers just is not going to make any sweeping changes.

So if a site actually wants to see some change, they are better suited to stop bitching about it and actually adapt. Giant Bomb is a perfect example of a site that leveraged their die hard fanbase into supporting the site directly for premium content, which also allows them to stay afloat and keep up the free content for everyone else. Not everyone can pull this off, obviously because not every community is the Giant Bomb community. But still, I'd much rather be propositioned for a subscription for content I like than to be invited to the pity party every time this issue comes up.

#41 Edited by ajamafalous (11854 posts) -

In Chrome I use Adblock Plus specifically for youtube and twitch, because fuck them those fucking ads are the worst.

In Firefox I use NoScript because fuck that noise you aren't running scripts without my permission.

#42 Edited by AngriGhandi (755 posts) -

Huh. That's a lot more people than I would have thought! Although, I guess this being a tech-related website probably skews things a bit.

Not to mention the whole self-selecting sample thing. Hmm.

...Good science is hard to come by.

#43 Edited by Luca717 (90 posts) -

if i only have an hour to use the internet before work for example, im not spending 15 minutes watching ads. this isn't cable TV, im able to avoid it so i will.

call me an asshole, but i block em all. only support sites i like, like GiantBomb for example, they can have my money lol

#44 Posted by SunBroZak (1022 posts) -

Never used it. Probably never will.

#45 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Yes I do, this site especially won't fix their annoying ads so you can all go fuck yourselves.

#46 Edited by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

Yup, fuck em!

#47 Edited by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

Yup, fuck em!

#48 Posted by Christoffer (1758 posts) -

I just recently installed ad-block after getting burnt out on following Twitch streamers. I try to find other ways of supporting the few youtubers I watch.

#49 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Nope, I just ignore them. If they are too intrusive for my liking, I probably won't use that site much.

#50 Posted by Whitestripes09 (400 posts) -

I only unblock sites that prevent me from using it with it on. Is that bad?