• 87 results
#51 Posted by yoshisaur (2722 posts) -

I use "can" a lot, but I tend to use may when I feel I'm with the appropriate crowd. I hated it mostly when I would ask "can I go to the bathroom" during school, and the teacher would respond with the asinine comment of "Well, can you?"

How about you correct me asshole.

#52 Posted by Hunkulese (2723 posts) -
@NTM Using can to ask permission isn't incorrect it's just less formal/polite.
#53 Posted by JackSukeru (5911 posts) -

Hm, I believe I've been corrected about that in the past. It hasn't stuck though since "may" just sounds lame.

#54 Posted by StarvingGamer (8229 posts) -

If it's between "can" or "may," then I'll use "may." But 99% of the time I'll say something like, "do you mind if I," instead.

#55 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

I never use the word may unless I'm talking about the month. I remember a teaching having the shitties shit eating grin when he'd reply with "I DUNNO CAN YOU? HUUR DUUR" I got in trouble once replying with, "I dunno, I'll go find out and let you know".

#56 Posted by StarFoxA (5157 posts) -

It's not technically wrong to use can instead of may. I use both.

#57 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2007 posts) -

"May" is reserved for someone who's a higher authority than me. I say "can I..." all the time, just not to a professor, boss, higher ranking employee etc.

#58 Posted by Unilad (561 posts) -

Just do it. It's easier to apologise than to ask permission.

#59 Posted by Jay_Ray (1098 posts) -

@StarFoxA said:

It's not technically wrong to use can instead of may. I use both.

This. The word can is used to describe if you have the ability to. If you are in a situation where you must ask permission to do something you are essentially asking for the ability to do it therefore I don't see the difference. I use can or may interchangeably to a superior but I use will if asking for a favor ("will you pass me" instead of "can you pass me").

#60 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

@Hunter5024: I guess I would have an hours worth of detention every day in that school. I assume they didn't like swearing either?

#61 Posted by Hunter5024 (5670 posts) -

@living4theday258 said:

@Hunter5024: I guess I would have an hours worth of detention every day in that school. I assume they didn't like swearing either?

Fuck no.

#62 Edited by geirr (2563 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

@Danteveli said:

Can I kick it?

Yes you can.

Can I kick it?

#63 Posted by ajamafalous (11992 posts) -

I use both interchangeably, because who fucking cares.

#64 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

Can is acceptable

#65 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

Yes, and I know it's incorrect AND WHO GIVES A FUCK?

#66 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

I'd say it's well past the point of being incorrect. We make up and change our language as time progresses.

#67 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

language evolves with use.

i'd say using can is 100% correct.

#68 Posted by Bollard (5530 posts) -

@Zomgfruitbunnies said:

Only when I say "Can I has your stuff?"

"May I has your stuff?" sounds weird.

I hope this was intentional.

#69 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Yep, guilty of that habit.

#70 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

Can I do that? Yes I can.

#71 Edited by CaLe (3982 posts) -

Most people also use 'hopefully' in the wrong way, but I'm not bothered by these things. I am bothered only by people who use then instead of than.

I picked up the leash and the dog looked up at me hopefully. 〇

Hopefully the bus comes early. ✕

#72 Posted by TehBuLL (609 posts) -

i dunno...saying "may i place this on your chest" kind of ruins it.

#73 Posted by TobbRobb (4639 posts) -

I don't know. I don't ask for permission in english that often. Wouldn't be too surprised if I just use both whenever. Thinking about it though, saying "can" makes no sense.

#74 Posted by Osaladin (2519 posts) -

I actually use, "mind if I" more than can and may. I usually use roundabout ways to ask for permission, where it doesn't seem like I'm asking for permission, makes it less formal that way.

#75 Posted by Sean2206 (264 posts) -

Yes, yes I do, it's habit.

#76 Posted by Gunner612 (4338 posts) -

I do cause fuck the police.

#77 Posted by TMBaker (230 posts) -
#78 Edited by nabokovfan87 (203 posts) -

I really hoped the response to this thread was "dude, seriously STFU/waste of time".

If you really care about what people say, you're spoiled/brought up in a world with so much extra money/time on your hands that your stress the small stuff way too much. Worry about things like life, why you do what you do, not which synonym you use because some lexicon a few decades back. Times have changed man, bad means good.... move on.

#79 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

When asking for permission for something "can" is as grammatically correct as "may".

Anyone who tells you different is an idiot.

#80 Posted by ch3burashka (5068 posts) -

The number 1 reason high school teachers deserve a collective kick in the balls. You know what I fucking mean, sir.

#81 Posted by MiniPato (2737 posts) -

"I may has cheezburger" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

#82 Posted by nintendork666 (203 posts) -

Yes, I do it on purpose. Asking if you may do something makes you sound like a wuss.

#83 Posted by Sweep (8858 posts) -

When I was growing up, every time I used can out of context my dad would say "Yes you can, but no you may not."

So I stopped asking for permission. Accurate poll is accurate.

#84 Posted by Orbitz89 (229 posts) -

I usually say "Could I" ... That's probably doubly wrong. I'm not a big grammar guy to be honest.

#85 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

F. "An bhfuil cead agam..."

I don't think I've ever had to ask permission for anything in English. I think I would just say "I would like [to]..."

#86 Edited by NTM (7377 posts) -

@Hunkulese: Yes, I've heard.

@nabokovfan87: Actually, this wasn't the typical "I hate when people do this!" type poll/thread, otherwise I would have said that, though I have never and probably never will make that kind of thread. I was simply curious as to what people did. I myself say 'can' almost all the time when asking for something. You shouldn't assume what my intention was, 'cause if your reply was to me, then you're wrong in saying what you said.

#87 Posted by NTM (7377 posts) -

@CaLe said:

Most people also use 'hopefully' in the wrong way, but I'm not bothered by these things. I am bothered only by people who use then instead of than.

I picked up the leash and the dog looked up at me hopefully. 〇

Hopefully the bus comes early. ✕

I've never heard anyone do that.