• 69 results
#1 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -
#2 Edited by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

I use it to talk with friends on a regular basis.

#3 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

A friend of mine suggested I use Skype, so I downloaded it and I find it useful for the most part.  I was wondering if anyone here uses skype or just find it useless.

#4 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

I use it on my phone to call long distance because we don't have google talk yet in Canada. I also use the video chat to speak to relatives overseas. It's pretty solid.

#5 Posted by B0nd07 (1697 posts) -

It's become my IM and VOIP program of choice.

#6 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I've used it almost daily since it became a thing. Not for calling phones or such, but as a convenient alternative to Ventrilo.

#7 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6986 posts) -

I use it for my internet buds.

#8 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Internet buddies. 
Phoning home for nothing. 

Its fantastic.

#9 Posted by FlyingRat (1445 posts) -

My girlfriend lives in England and I live in Holland, so I use it all the time and am very thankful that it exists.

#10 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

I use Skype a lot. I normally use it as an IM client seeing as a large number of people I know use it. It beats most other IM clients, in my honest opinion. It's an infinitely better looking program on Mac OS X than it is on Windows, though. I don't really use it for voice chat or calling telephones though, as these aspects hold a limited appeal to me. Regardless, Skype is one of my essential programs, and it's one of the first things I download and install when using a new operating system or replacing an old one.

#11 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Use it quite a bit. It's handy.

#12 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

If you think Skype is useless you've got to be the biggest retard I've never met.

#13 Posted by CitizenKane (10502 posts) -

I don't use Skype myself, but I also don't find it useless either.

#14 Posted by Nelander (177 posts) -

I don't have a home phone and use skype to call my family (international calls to regular phones)

#15 Posted by mosespippy (4032 posts) -

I've used it in the past for 2 things. Recording a podcast and group projects for school. It's great for group projects because you can use it and google docs to write a paper or presentation as a group without having to meet at school.

#16 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4630 posts) -

I use it for gaming.

#17 Posted by natetodamax (19170 posts) -

I use it for talking to people, totally legal music transactions, and collaborative anime viewing.

#18 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I use it on a daily basis.

#19 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

I think skype is excellent. Use it most days to catch up with family as I study away from home.

#20 Posted by GilbertMordinAndSullivan (442 posts) -

Skype is wonderful. I live about 2000 miles from my family and %95 of my friends, and getting to not only talk to them but also see them while I do so helps keep me sane.

#21 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I used to use it the Call Forwarding function at my last house. I didn't get cell phone reception, so all of my calls went to Skype.

#22 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -

I use MSN and Facebook for all my communication needs.

#23 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i don't use skype but i don't think that it is useless. a friend uses it but i don't.

#24 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

It seems pretty good, I wasn't sure if it was gonna suite my needs though.  But after figuring out at different functions, it seems good.

#25 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -
@CitizenKane said:
" I don't use Skype myself, but I also don't find it useless either. "
#26 Edited by Mesklinite (804 posts) -

I use skype with real life friends from back home. We have a conversation setup with all of us and just chat in there. It's a persistant chat room which we can use to VOIP when we play games.

Friends not playing the game can join in the conversation. It's quite cool.

#27 Posted by ESREVER (2669 posts) -

Skype is quite awesome.

#28 Posted by cherub09 (76 posts) -

I would NOT survive without skype. Without getting cheesy, it saved me :)

#29 Posted by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

I don't use it, but I don't find it useless.

#30 Posted by BibleDoctor (698 posts) -

Used Skype while playing WoW. Stopped playing WoW, still use it for other crap.

#31 Edited by TheSmashing (313 posts) -

Yes, I use it every day

#32 Posted by monkeyroach (175 posts) -

teamspeak or ventrilo  and google voice

#33 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (679 posts) -

I can never get my webcam to work without continuously cutting out for the other person. My internet never cuts out and works fine, yet my webcam always goes out continuously. No idea why, bums me out though because there are a few people I'd love to skype with on a weekly basis. 

#34 Edited by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

I always thought it was just a program to call real phone numbers without needing a phone line, but just the other day a friend of mine and I started using it to chat while we play wow, and I was really impressed with it. The voice quality is top notch, and it was dead easy to add him and set up a conversation. No idea about any of it's uses outside of that however.

EDIT: Heh, re-reading that I didn't realize how much it sounded like one of those fake testimonials you find on sites for crappy products.

#35 Edited by Brendan (7687 posts) -

Our family uses it to talk to my sisters at Uni all year.  It's great.
#36 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I'd rather just talk to the person face to face. 

#37 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

i don't use it much, but it's great for voice chat 

#38 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -
@billyhoush said:
" I use it on my phone to call long distance because we don't have google talk yet in Canada. I also use the video chat to speak to relatives overseas. It's pretty solid. "
but doesnt it cost more to use the internet on the phone, than a regular call?
#39 Posted by pubbles (140 posts) -

I use it almost daily, especially when my job makes me live on an island for 5 days at a time. 

In fact part of the reason I recently bought a new laptop (in addition to the fact it was $500 dollars off for black friday) was because I can't install skype on any computers here (government computers). That and I can play some games on it too ;)

#40 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11474 posts) -

My uncle, who is stationed in the UAE, was unable to get permission to go to my grandma's funeral last week. Using the power of Skype and one of those internet cards for laptops he got to watch the funeral. So I guess Skype is pretty alright. Don't use it myself.

#41 Posted by Xerxes8933A (227 posts) -

I use it to vid chat with some family and friends.  Also use it in place of vent on certain games.

#42 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Skype is amazing. I use it to talk to my girlfriend for hours at a time (she's 7 hours away for school currently). 

It also use it with my internet bros (and RL bros on the internet) for games.

I love it because the quality on it is amazing and flawless - and yet it is very, very bandwidth modest. It's perfect for gaming.

#43 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

I've stopped talking to friends who don't use skype. Makes life simpler that way. I use it get together with people all the time, plan events and such. ALso handy for chatting. I use the text chat more than anything.

#44 Posted by CobaltThunder (9 posts) -

I would use Skype, but... 

I'm rather confused about their "free" and "subscription" types of accounts. Are you able to have group conversations with people on a free account?

#45 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

I talk to some of the people i met in newzealand and LA through it. so yeah its pretty useful.

#46 Posted by suikoden352 (419 posts) -

skype is great. i use it to talk with friends and family and also while i'm playing games with friends and my brother in law who is on duty in south korea for a year. would love to see it or somethin pop up onto xbox live or the ps3 someday but maybe that's just my fine wine wishes. lol idk

#47 Posted by YoThatLimp (1880 posts) -

Wife uses it to talk to family back in New Zealand, it is a great program as a 30 minute phone call cost about $35 here.

#48 Posted by Ferginator4k (737 posts) -

I find it really useful, we get better call quality than Vent and its easier to use(Havent updated it to latest version tho)

#49 Posted by guiseppe (2837 posts) -

I don't use it regularly, but I have an account and I love it.

#50 Posted by dudeglove (7687 posts) -

Skype is awesome.