• 59 results
#1 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -
#2 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -

I do, but I must say that I have been using it less and less. I still manage to check it probably once a day, but I will go a week or so without checking my myspace, and lately I've sometimes been going a day or so without checking Facebook. 

But I do think social networking is great for keeping in touch with people and interacting with them on a regular basis. As well as sharing your thoughts in ways you wouldn't in actual life. Which I think is interesting. I'm curious how many people do still use social networking sites regularly or daily.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36025 posts) -

What's that supposed to mean? Facebook and Twitter? Hell no!

#4 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

Yup. I joined Facebook in early 2008 and have been using it since.

#5 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -

Nah, me and my friends quit Myspace, Twitter, Linkein, Facebook and everything else.  It was out social suicide pact.  Non of us miss it one bit, we talk more of the phone and its so much nicer.  Fuck social networking.

#6 Posted by one_2nd (2359 posts) -

Yes, facebook. 

#7 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -
@Mrskidders said:
" Nah, me and my friends quit Myspace, Twitter, Linkein, Facebook and everything else.  It was out social suicide pact.  Non of us miss it one bit, we talk more of the phone and its so much nicer.  Fuck social networking. "
I've never GOT the whole "OMG I have to delete my account!" thing. I find it hilarious. 

But it's like comparing writing to speaking. You can't do it. They are two entirely different things. Talking to someone via chat gives you a glimpse into their mind that is different than speaking to someone audibly (ESPECIALLY if that person is a shy or passive person. As even being in the same room with them doesn't mean they are going to talk). 

So that is one reason why i think social networking is cool and should be used as an additional tool in your relationships with people. Personally I love to hear about the mundane, little things people are doing that they probably wouldn't speak audibly to you because it'd be weird. But it's fun to comment and discuss those things over a social network post.
#8 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Yep Facebook

#9 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -

I use Facebook, though most of the people I talk to I've never even met in real life.

#10 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

No. None. Although I am now urged to do so on a daily basis.

#11 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6287 posts) -

Yes, many times a day.

#12 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

No.

#13 Posted by TehFedro (431 posts) -

I use Twitter every day, I have a Facebook too, but I don't use that anymore.

#14 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -

I used facebook back when it was all shiny new and only college students could join. Now I barely acknowledge facebook's existence.

#15 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Yep, though I check on FB only to see what other people are doing. I don't personally share what I've got to do (though to be perfectly honest, I don't really do much at all to warrant updating my status).

#16 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1867 posts) -

yep, facebook daily.

#17 Edited by MattyFTM (14342 posts) -

I use twitter regularly, and while it is technically Social Networking, I don't really consider it social networking in the same vein as Facebook or Myspace. It's more of an extension of Giant Bomb, since most of the people I follow & follow me are Giant Bomb members, and those that aren't are generally people in the video game industry. 

I don't use Facebook or anything like that. I have an account on Facebook, but I never use it.

#18 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

I use facebook and twitter. Twitter is mostly for online friends and followers I don't know in real life. Facebook is for classmates, etc.

#19 Posted by NikoAlexander57 (359 posts) -

Twitter all the time. Facebook probably less.

#20 Posted by SMTDante89 (2545 posts) -

Facebook almost exclusively.  It's a good way to stay connected to friends because I can't call outside of the town my college is in (cheap college).  If Last.fm counts as social networking, then I use it frequently too.
#21 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

No and i dont understand the reason why people use them.

#22 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" I use twitter regularly, and while it is technically Social Networking, I don't really consider it social networking in the same vein as Facebook or Myspace. It's more of an extension of Giant Bomb, since most of the people I follow & follow me are Giant Bomb members, and those that aren't are generally people in the video game industry.   I don't use Facebook or anything like that. I have an account on Facebook, but I never use it. "
Actually, for a long time I was using Giantbomb as my Twitter! Since I have it linked to my Twitter, and for some reason I've never really used my Twitter. I would only use it by updating my myspace status which was linked to it, and later my Giantbomb status which was linked to it. But it's fun because there is one online friend in particular who does check her Twitter, and so she used it to keep track of what I was up to. 

I do consider Twitter social networking though. It's similar enough.
#23 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -
@scarace360 said:
"i dont understand the reason why people use them. "
#24 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Yep, use Facebook and a few others like it.

#25 Posted by Liono88 (368 posts) -

This site is the closest thing to social networking for me.

#26 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -
@Liono88 said:
" This site is the closest thing to social networking for me. "
Heh. That's interesting! Like I said above, I used Giantbomb as my Twitter for a while. Though it was initially to get the Super Sup Check Achievement . . . :P
#27 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Every day or two, I'll go on Facebook and see what's up but that's about it. Also, is reading Twitter the same as using because I usually go on that to see what the FLTG are up to but I haven't posted in about 8 months.

#28 Posted by FlamingHobo (4479 posts) -

Yes, I do.
#30 Posted by anarchyzombie9 (615 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" I used facebook back when it was all shiny new and only college students could join. Now I barely acknowledge facebook's existence. "
You're so damn indie.
#31 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -
@anarchyzombie9 said:

" @wolf_blitzer85 said:

" I used facebook back when it was all shiny new and only college students could join. Now I barely acknowledge facebook's existence. "
You're so damn indie. "
Hardly. It's been quite a few years since facebook has been available, and I just kind of fell off the bandwagon. Not sure why, since I did crack out on it when it was all new and shiny. Once they started rolling out the addons and all that other extra junk, my facebook page began to look like like someone puked text all over it much akin to the fate of  my old as hell myspace page.

Just mostly forgot about it is all.

Now excuse me while I put my thick black rimmed glasses on and listen to music by a band that noone has heard of while I create a painting of how the evil corporations are destroying the integrity of the younger generations.

Oh yeah and bikes. I ride my bike a lot.

is that indie enough for you?
#32 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

If it wasn't for Facebook, I would have lost contact with all my Sixth Form friends. 

Twitter on the other hand, is fucking worthless unless you're a celebrity.

#33 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@scarace360 said:
" No and i dont understand the reason why people use them. "
'Social networking'. 
Seems pretty damn obvious to me.
#34 Posted by cnlmullen (900 posts) -
I used to spend a lot of time on Facebook so I disabled my account about 3 months ago.  I don't regret it.
#35 Posted by Alcamin (151 posts) -

Yeah, I use Facebook and Twitter quite regularly. I find it's a good way to keeping in touch with people you don't see very often. I've met people from all over the world so using more traditional forms of communication isn't always a viable option. Hurray for social networking!

#36 Posted by kariyanine (216 posts) -

I use Twitter all the time but that is about it.

#37 Posted by RaceKickfist (218 posts) -

i only use facebook. i live so far from my friends that its the easiest and quickest way to keep in touch. and for some reason i still find the phone obnoxious and awkward. in-person is wonderful, facebook messags are easy. but the phone? ugh, those awkward silences and not being able to read body language- it just drives me nuts!

#38 Posted by jorojoserojas (258 posts) -

I got off of Facebook several months ago and haven't looked back. Mostly out of spite to friends who constantly hound me to get back on it. 

I do, however, use Twitter, and I check that thing every 5 god damned minutes.

#39 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Whoa slow down giantbombers, me posting in this topic was not an invitation for 7 random people to suddenly add me!
Scary! That's what ya'll are!

Totally offtopic, I know.

#40 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
@MysteriousBob: Still dont get it.
#41 Posted by FreakAche (2949 posts) -

For some reason, Facebook is pretty much the only way that me and my friends make plans. I'm not really sure why, because when you think about it, it's not really all that efficient.

#42 Posted by KillaMaStA (859 posts) -

nope, I used a sitee like that for a month and then realized how stupid it was.

#43 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

no. No one cares about my sporadic thoughts, and I certainly don't care about yours. Nor do I have any desire to see pictures of  you at some shitty party last saturday.

#44 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

Nope, I feel like facebook or any other social networking site isn't worth my time unless I want to keep up with my old friends.

#45 Posted by Hamst3r (4452 posts) -

I find Twitter to be very useful. The list of people I follow is short so it's mostly interesting stuff. Following the GB crew is a great way to get notified when a live show or quick look is up - you also get a little bit of that behind-the-scenes action with cam photos and stuff.
#46 Posted by Nubstradamus (15 posts) -

I've been using Twitter since I signed up a few weeks ago.  I only use it to get real time updates from my favorite websites without having to go to each individual site. That and free stuff.  Also had a facebook a couple of years back, but got rid of it once I found out I really had no use for it.

#47 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Facebook. Farmville is SIIIIIIIIIIICK

#48 Edited by Ravenousrattler (1417 posts) -

I've really stopped using facebook now, like i check it every now and then but i don't really post anything since everyone from employers to criminals will fuck you over.

#49 Edited by CitizenKane (10504 posts) -

I check Facebook and Twitter out a few times a day, but not very extensively.

#50 Posted by Genjai (300 posts) -
@Liono88 said:
" This site is the closest thing to social networking for me. "
this. so... no?