• 80 results
#1 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

While driving home from making a purchase at my local game store, a car coming the opposite direction started flashing his lights at me. I knew this to be the international sign of "Hey, there is a cop down the street waiting for speeders so SLOW DOWN!". I will admit I was driving about 20 mph over the speed limit. As soon as I got down to about 5 mph over, I saw said police car sitting in a parking lot with his speed gun.

I usually try to signal if there is a cop hiding out looking for speeders even though I think it's in a law some where not too. I just know that it sucks getting a ticket for going just 10 mph over and obviously slow speed limit. Anyone else try to warn others to "stick it to the MAN" as it were?

#2 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

I didn't even know people do that. I thought they were just being jerks.

#3 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

Every time someone does this to me I start freaking out because it can mean basically anything. It can mean you have your brights on, you don't have your lights on at all, you have a flat tire, etc. The last thing I think of is a cop ahead when someone does this crap to me. I rarely go past 5 over the speed limit though so I guess it doesn't really matter for me.

#4 Posted by Kidavenger (3502 posts) -

I used to, I don't see many speed traps off the main highways around here anymore though.

#5 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

I always flash my brights, but one of my friends got a ticket for doing that. some bullshit about obstructing a police officer

#6 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

@rjayb89: It happens. It could mean other things, but my mind goes straight to "Cops around the corner."

@Poppduder: I figured if you got caught doing it, it would be consider "Obstruction of Justice" or some such nonsense.

@NickL: I guess i just think "cop" when someone flashes their lights. But hey, it could also mean those things as well.

#7 Edited by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Yeah. Where I live cops seem to be heavy into fundraising once the weather gets nice. I always appreciate when someone warns me about a cop so I try to pay it forward.

Edit: We live in a society where I feel like I need to be warned about cops :(

#8 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

@Poppduder said:

I always flash my brights, but one of my friends got a ticket for doing that. some bullshit about obstructing a police officer

Your friend should have said it was an accident because the pig has the burden of proof to prove otherwise.

#9 Posted by LiquidPrince (15840 posts) -

@rjayb89 said:

I didn't even know people do that. I thought they were just being jerks.

Now you know.

#10 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@Lunar_Aura said:

@Poppduder said:

Your friend should have said it was an accident because the pig has the burden of proof to prove otherwise.

He does, but if he's a typical cop he'll write the ticket, tell you to bring him to court about it, not show up to his day in court and even if you get the ticket thrown out you lose a day of work over a bullshit ticket. GG society.

#11 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

There is no universal signal to do so, so I never think of one to do. Had a guy do it for me not too long back by flashing his lights, but I didn't even clue in that he had done it and that I had passed the RCMP until I was long past them. Appreciated the thought though.

#12 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

It's not cool to flash your brights at somebody. I don't give a shit if there's a speed trap ahead. That shit's annoying.

#13 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU said:

It's not cool to flash your brights at somebody. I don't give a shit if there's a speed trap ahead. That shit's annoying.

If something that innocuous annoys you I'd love to see how you react to a bullshit $150 ticket.

#14 Posted by Intro (1205 posts) -

Yes, I don't think they deserve to be slammed with a $100+ ticket and points against their license for going 5-15mph over.

I recently got pulled over when I was going about 5-7mph over downhill, but was clocked at 11mph over. So it especially pissed me off knowing that their guns are very inaccurate and rape the citizens out of their hard earned money, even if they're not breaking a law. In my case, yes I was breaking the law going roughly 7mph over. In some people's cases, they could have been going under the speed limit, but clocked going 7 over. All the experiences my friends or I run into with cops are just them essentially harassing us. Such as when I was younger and being told to get out off of our school's area behind the bleachers from playing football with friends while there were adults around and we were allowed to be there. Or even now, when I'm getting a rude attitude from a cop because my dad's name is on the insurance instead of mine.

Another example, my friend's truck broke down and he pushed it into a paring lot off of the road, not getting in the way of traffic compared to if his car was just sitting in the road. And no, it wasn't across the street. A cop quickly found someone to fuck with and started bitching at him, telling him he should have left it in the road broken down and said he could write him a ticket. The cop let him off with a verbal warning and said next I see you do this you're getting a ticket. Lol, yeah next time he's fucking pushing his truck in this town I hope you go get him officer!

TL;DR: Yeah, I warn people about cops unless I think they could harm someone else.

#15 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

@Intro: That's all unfortunate. Typically, you can tell the future of a city's police force by looking at the neighboring high school's flunkies.

#16 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

Its so great that the people who are supposed to protect and serve the citizens of their country love to harass people minding their own damn business. I feel like becoming a cop should be a lot more difficult than it is.

#17 Posted by McPlated (132 posts) -

I came out of my years of lurking around GB just to say that artgarcrunkle is laying down some serious real talk.

#18 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

@Intro: My boss told me a story of when he got a flat and was changing his tire on the side of the road when an officer showed up and gave him a ticket for "Being parked in a No Parking zone" regardless of having a flat tire. So once the cop left, my boss stole the No Parking Zone sign by his truck and has it hung up in his garage. "Figured it's mine since I fucking paid for it.".

#19 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5137 posts) -

I don't care if other people get pulled over.

#20 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@Intro said:

Yes, I don't think they deserve to be slammed with a $100+ ticket and points against their license for going 5-15mph over.

I recently got pulled over when I was going about 5-7mph over downhill, but was clocked at 11mph over. So it especially pissed me off knowing that their guns are very inaccurate and rape the citizens out of their hard earned money, even if they're not breaking a law. In my case, yes I was breaking the law going roughly 7mph over. In some people's cases, they could have been going under the speed limit, but clocked going 7 over. All the experiences my friends or I run into with cops are just them essentially harassing us. Such as when I was younger and being told to get out off of our school's area behind the bleachers from playing football with friends while there were adults around and we were allowed to be there. Or even now, when I'm getting a rude attitude from a cop because my dad's name is on the insurance instead of mine.

Another example, my friend's truck broke down and he pushed it into a paring lot off of the road, not getting in the way of traffic compared to if his car was just sitting in the road. And no, it wasn't across the street. A cop quickly found someone to fuck with and started bitching at him, telling him he should have left it in the road broken down and said he could write him a ticket. The cop let him off with a verbal warning and said next I see you do this you're getting a ticket. Lol, yeah next time he's fucking pushing his truck in this town I hope you go get him officer!

TL;DR: Yeah, I warn people about cops unless I think they could harm someone else.

Did you ask the cop what kind of speed gun it was? If it was a laser one (pretty much all PD are changing to these now) it is accurate to 1/10 of a mph. If it was an old fashioned one then you can easily get out of an 11 mph over ticket as long as you show up.

#21 Posted by Intro (1205 posts) -

@Lunar_Aura said:

@Intro: That's all unfortunate. Typically, you can tell the future of a city's police force by looking at the neighboring high school's flunkies.

I just wish radars were more accurate and laws were more specific.

For instance, someone that's on their 4th warning for speeding in under a year should get a ticket, especially when one of those warnings were in a school zone. Someone that's got pulled over once in 2 years shouldn't a ticket when hardly speeding after their first offense. Which is what happened to me (I know the person with multiple warnings, even in school zones, he's yet to get a ticket). I broke the law though and paid the ticket.

If they're going to get someone like me for my first offense in 2 years and give me a $115 ticket, fine. I'll pay it. But the next time someone else is speeding, they shouldn't get off on a warning due to how the cop's attitude is or how kind the person being pulled over is or because you're a family member/friend (I live in a small town, that shit happens daily). Either give the ticket to everyone or no one. If you're going to give a warning, you should have to give a warning to everyone else that does the same thing. Every citizen should be treated equally with the same laws when it comes to speeding and if they're going to get a ticket or not; that is how I feel.

#22 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle said:

@Lunar_Aura said:

@Poppduder said:

He does, but if he's a typical cop he'll write the ticket, tell you to bring him to court about it, not show up to his day in court and even if you get the ticket thrown out you lose a day of work over a bullshit ticket. GG society.

Goddamn it.

Yeah, I live in Georgia and most people are nice enough to throw up a warning for this kind of stuff. I live in a suburb where the cops literally don't have anything better to do then to run speed traps all of the time. Most of the time though, it's during the day on low-traffic, innocuous roads, so there's no harm in throwing out a warning. I rarely go way over the speed limit, but it's appreciated nonetheless.

#23 Posted by Intro (1205 posts) -

@NickL said:

@Intro said:

Did you ask the cop what kind of speed gun it was? If it was a laser one (pretty much all PD are changing to these now) it is accurate to 1/10 of a mph. If it was an old fashioned one then you can easily get out of an 11 mph over ticket as long as you show up.

No, I didn't ask. I was trying to be nice to him. Only thing he could've taken as rudeness was when said, "Officer, there was no way I was going 66mph in the 55mph. I'm sorry, but that's not right." Lol.

I didn't have to go to court, but if I did it would have cost me $70 according to the court. Then it could have been finished another day costing me another $70 and in the end I'm not guaranteed to get out of it. So I just took the 2 points against my license and paid the $115 fine. Either way, someone will find a way to get your money.

#24 Posted by Muerthoz (347 posts) -

I did once. The cop was still close enough to see my lights and decided to pull me over. Didn't give me a ticket, just lectured me about how I was preventing him from doing his job. (In other words, preventing him from meeting his quota.)

#25 Posted by Intro (1205 posts) -

@Muerthoz said:

I did once. The cop was still close enough to see my lights and decided to pull me over. Didn't give me a ticket, just lectured me about how I was preventing him from doing his job. (In other words, preventing him from meeting his quota.)

You made someone slow down, he should be thanking you lol :p

#26 Edited by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Edit: Him post gone :(

#27 Posted by JasonR86 (9604 posts) -

Yes I do. I flash my lights.

#28 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle: I deleted it since I don't feel like getting a bunch of stupid messages telling me that I'm wrong for not having a seething irrational hatred for all police for doing their jobs.

#29 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

@Napalm: The problem there is that you live in Georgia. I cant imagine why anyone would do that out of choice. (lived in Atlanta for like 8 months and hated it, back to Chicago thankyaverymuch)

I'm conflicted with the whole thing, because I'm a very safe driver, as far as Chicago drivers go. I stay within 5mph of the speedlimit, and when I see somone rocket right the fuck past me doing almost 60 in a 45, I silently wish for them to get pulled over and slapped with a big fine. HOW-EVER, I still find myself trying to give people a heads up when there's a speed trap. Yes, fuck tha po-lice (cominstraightfromtheundergroundayoungniggagotitbadcuzimbrown) but fuck dangerous drivers too.

#30 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@artgarcrunkle: I deleted it since I don't feel like getting a bunch of stupid messages telling me that I'm wrong for not having a seething irrational hatred for all police for doing their jobs.

Bro I'm charging you with hyperbolic posting and putting you under citizens arrest.

#31 Edited by SethPhotopoulos (5094 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

If something that innocuous annoys you I'd love to see how you react to a bullshit $150 ticket.

Someone flashes their lights at me now I can't see and the guy could've caused me more harm than good. Also cop isn't the first thing that comes to mind. Everyone I've ever talked to from Driver's Ed to parents to just people I know says that flashing lights is signaling either a problem with your driving or there is something wrong with your car.

#32 Posted by IAmNotBatman (627 posts) -

Not enough cops like Russel Crowe.

#33 Edited by Intro (1205 posts) -

@Poppduder said:

@Napalm: The problem there is that you live in Georgia. I cant imagine why anyone would do that out of choice. (lived in Atlanta for like 8 months and hated it, back to Chicago thankyaverymuch)

I'm conflicted with the whole thing, because I'm a very safe driver, as far as Chicago drivers go. I stay within 5mph of the speedlimit, and when I see somone rocket right the fuck past me doing almost 60 in a 45, I silently wish for them to get pulled over and slapped with a big fine. HOW-EVER, I still find myself trying to give people a heads up when there's a speed trap. Yes, fuck tha po-lice (cominstraightfromtheundergroundayoungniggagotitbadcuzimbrown) but fuck dangerous drivers too.

You posted the lyrics, I felt like someone needed to post the song just in case someone had the urge to listen to it.

#34 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

Well I've been driving for over ten years, and I've never gotten a ticket. Because I'm a good driver, and I don't need assholes flashing their lights at me to tell me to stop speeding.

But if I ever got a ticket, chances are I probably did something to deserve it. So I probably wouldn't think it's bullshit. Because I don't just automatically hate cops for doing their job.

#35 Posted by Lotan (216 posts) -

Don't speed and you won't have a problem.

You speeding and killing people does not warrant a flashing of lights from me.

#36 Edited by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@artgarcrunkle said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

Well I've been driving for over ten years, and I've never gotten a ticket. Because I'm a good driver, and I don't need assholes flashing their lights at me to tell me to stop speeding.

But if I ever got a ticket, chances are I probably did something to deserve it. So I probably wouldn't think it's bullshit. Because I don't just automatically hate cops for doing their job.

the one time I was really irratated for getting pulled over was when I was going 74 in a 70 at like 8 thanksgiving morning.... least I got a warning

Whenever I see someone left there blinkers on while on the highway I also turn mine on to try and tell them.... rarely do they ever catch it

#37 Edited by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos: I've never been flashed and not seen a cop soon after in ten years of driving, really. Even if someone is flashing their tittyballs a cop shows up, it's weird man.

In real life most people are barely paying attention to what their doing while they're driving let alone remembering to give the first person who stopped at a four way stop sign the right of way or whatever else they talk about in drivers ed.

@Lotan said:

You speeding and killing people does not warrant a flashing of lights from me.

lol

#38 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@artgarcrunkle said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

Yup. I always see these people going around saying they were speeding, and are somehow mad at the cop because they got a speeding ticket. It's not hard to just not speed. Speed limits are there for a reason. People need to stop yelling at cops for doing their jobs. Yeah, there are bad cops. Just like there are bad employees of every profession. But not every cop that gives you a ticket for doing something illegal is a bad cop. People give police far too much shit.

#39 Posted by Brother_PipPop (252 posts) -

Alot cop hate on here huh.

#40 Posted by Slay3r1583 (600 posts) -

I've never done it and I doubt I ever will. I don't know the person and I don't give a damn what happens to them.

#41 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@artgarcrunkle said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

Yup. I always see these people going around saying they were speeding, and are somehow mad at the cop because they got a speeding ticket. It's not hard to just not speed. Speed limits are there for a reason. People need to stop yelling at cops for doing their jobs. Yeah, there are bad cops. Just like there are bad employees of every profession. But not every cop that gives you a ticket for doing something illegal is a bad cop. People give police far too much shit.

Yeah. My friend was speeding up and down a hill with a blind spot at the top. A cop pulled him over and gave him a $550 dollar ticket. He kept saying how it was bullshit. I asked him how fast he was going, and he said 55. Down a hill with a 25 speed limit. Which could technically count as reckless driving, so he could have easily been taken to jail and fined $5000. So far as I'm concerned, he should be so lucky to get off with just a little ticket.

#42 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5094 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle said:

@SethPhotopoulos: I've never been flashed and not seen a cop soon after in ten years of driving, really. Even if someone is flashing their tittyballs a cop shows up, it's weird man.

In real life most people are barely paying attention to what their doing while they're driving let alone remembering to give the first person who stopped at a four way stop sign the right of way or whatever else they talk about in drivers ed.

Well I've had people flashing at me and I haven't seen a cop when that happens. It's either a headlight is out or I've left my lights on high blinding everyone I drive past. So if something is happening to you it doesn't mean it happens to everyone. Same for me. But usually for me it isn't that there is a cop and I've never heard of anyone I've ever talked to say that flashing your lights means there is a cop. Most people I know just say that it is a problem with the driver of the car being flashed.

#43 Edited by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@artgarcrunkle said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

Yeah speed limits are in place because we're all dumb children who need to be nannied. Please enforce a 25mph speed limit on a straight wide road in a sparsely populated area away from schools and businesses I can't stop playing with my speak n' spell long enough to pay attention to the road. Slower is always better, take the autobahn for example - no one has survived driving on it.

Anyways I generally do 5-10 over on good roads and highways on the reg because I'm a big boy who can pay attention to the road and other drivers and I keep my car well maintained. Never been pulled over. Of course I'm white and live in a real crackery area and don't drive a fast looking vehicle, so your mileage may vary.

@PrivateIronTFU: I hope you're not using a clear case of reckless driving to justify people being pulled over for being within 10mph over or whatever.

#44 Posted by Intro (1205 posts) -

@Lotan said:

Unless their radar gun is off. Or they notice your plate's stickers are outdated by a couple days or anything of that manner.

#45 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle said:

@CL60 said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@artgarcrunkle said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

Yeah speed limits are in place because we're all dumb children who need to be nannied. Please enforce a 25mph speed limit on a straight wide road in a sparsely populated area away from schools and businesses I can't stop playing with my speak n' spell long enough to pay attention to the road. Slower is always better, take the autobahn for example - no one has survived driving on it.

Anyways I generally do 5-10 over on good roads and highways on the reg because I'm a big boy who can pay attention to the road and other drivers and I keep my car well maintained. Never been pulled over. Of course I'm white and live in a real crackery area and don't drive a fast looking vehicle, so your mileage may vary.

@PrivateIronTFU: I hope you're not using a clear case of reckless driving to justify people being pulled over for being within 10mph over or whatever.

Oh, yeah, right. I'm being the unreasonable one here.

#46 Edited by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU: You're the one using an outlier to justify your concrete thinking.

#47 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle said:

@PrivateIronTFU: You're the one using an outlier to justify your concrete thinking.

Uh, no I wasn't. I was merely sharing an anecdote. But you have yet to really explain why it is that you don't think a cop should give you a ticket for going 10 over the speed limit. The law's the law, and the police are well within their right to give you a ticket for it. You seem to be using absolutely nothing to justify your concrete thinking.

#48 Posted by AiurFlux (901 posts) -

I used to, I don't anymore. I work as a Crown Attorney so it wouldn't be seen as... proper to do it. That said I have reported police officers for turning on their lights and sirens so they can get to Tim Horton's a little faster or for speeding without their siren's on. Fair is fair. If I have to follow the laws, if everyone has to follow the laws, then the police should have to follow those very same laws. Even a couple of times I got pulled over, once by a friend and the other by someone that knew I worked prosecution, and talked them into GIVING me a ticket. I don't think it's right to use friendships or personal/professional standings to get out of something. I was speeding, I broke the law, they had me fair and square, so I should have to pay my dues like everyone else should have to. Unfortunately a lot of people don't.

So long story short, no. Follow the fucking laws if you don't want a ticket. When it says 50 go 50 and when it says 30 go 30. Don't go 60 and 40 just because you think you can get away with it. They give you SOME leeway, and that little they give you should be enough to prevent a 150 dollar mistake.

#49 Edited by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU: Because someone who values the letter of the law more than the spirit of the law is probably a bad cop. 5-10mph over is normally safe. "The law's the law" is harmful concrete thinking. Believing police are always right is wrong because it empowers bad cops. Thinking "OH IF I GOT A TICKET I WAS DOING SOMETHING WRONG" is stupid because you're ignoring the human element (police are fallible, fucked up, stupid, vindictive, racist etc. just like the rest of us) and again empowering bad cops. Speedometers are inaccurate. etc. etc.

#50 Posted by crazyleaves (639 posts) -
@McPlated

I came out of my years of lurking around GB just to say that artgarcrunkle is laying down some serious real talk.

Haha, yeah that had me giggling.

I always try to warn others especially when they are being sneaky. If they're just sitting there in the open it's your own fault for not paying attention.