• 69 results
#1 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

I wash mine, do you wash yours? Chicken, Pork, Steaks, Fish, etc? Do you wash them off before cooking? Why am I axing this? Because I just read that a whole lot of people don't do this and it's said that you shouldn't wash it, which blows my mind a bit since I have always done it myself. I am still gonna wash it as it gives me piece of mind, it's a thing I gotta do. Funny things is that I don't wash off ground beef, I mean it's impossible right?

#2 Edited by GnomeonFire (745 posts) -

No, I just cook my meat which if you're doing it right should accomplish everything rinsing does to. Unless you're like using soap and shit to, in which case, ewww.

#3 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

No soap, just a cold rinse.

#4 Posted by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -

No, but I get it wet...

#5 Posted by Danteveli (1186 posts) -

Every time i go for a shower.

I don't think I have ever washed meat I have bought just throw it in the oven, on frying pan or in freezer.

#6 Posted by audioBusting (1544 posts) -

I usually do a quick rinse just to "wipe" the surface.

#7 Posted by Strife777 (1580 posts) -

I was going to make some lewd joke, but I can't come up with anything clever enough.

You wash your meat? I mean, cooking it basically does all the work.

#8 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Uh no. Cooking it should kill anything on it.

People do this? Thats weird as hell.

#9 Edited by Slaegar (710 posts) -

My parents have always washed off raw fresh chicken before throwing that into the magic cook box. That's about it, though. Maybe pork. I trust their ways of doing things. I mean they are still alive and such.

As others have said proper cooking will do far more than running some water over it any day though.

#10 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

Washing your meat is doing nothing for it, and you should actually stop doing that. Whatever microscopic bacteria living on the meat is going to die during the cooking process, but when you're moving it to the sink to wash it you're just introducing new bacteria to it.

If you want to wash something, wash your hands before and after handling anything raw.

#11 Edited by audioBusting (1544 posts) -

To clarify, my reasoning is to rinse off things that aren't living things. You can't kill what's already dead. I don't know if it's necessary, but I might as well. It's probably gonna get on the cutting board anyway, which will be washed in the sink too.

#12 Edited by TruthTellah (9101 posts) -

Food safety standards generally recommend against washing meat before cooking it, as you're just adding additional risk of contamination.

So, I don't wash meat and instead make sure to cook it properly.

#13 Posted by Hunter5024 (5686 posts) -

Yeah girl. Nope! Heat kills germs and water might have germs in it, so there's no point in putting water on it.

#14 Posted by spiceninja (3062 posts) -

Sounds like a case of OCD.

#15 Edited by bybeach (4831 posts) -

My honest (and obviously contained) answer is yes. You want to get rid of bone dust, splatter, contamination etc. You use cold water. (which is chlorinated from faucet, generally). And the more applicable term is 'rinse'.

#16 Posted by Jay_Ray (1101 posts) -

Nope, I think for steak at least that washing it would ruin the meat.

#17 Posted by probablytuna (3665 posts) -

Nope, except for chicken before we put in the freezer.

#18 Edited by TruthTellah (9101 posts) -

When washing raw meat and poultry, there is both a risk of getting more germs from the water on the meat and germs from the raw meat onto your sink and surrounding surfaces. If your piece of raw meat is filthy enough that it needs water to be run on it, it's likely not a piece of raw meat you should be eating.

Wash your hands and surfaces before and after, but don't wash your meat. Be safe and stay healthy! :)

#19 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1102 posts) -

Sear it on both sides and throw it on a plate.

BOOM.

#20 Posted by Samael2138 (233 posts) -

Hell no!!!..... Where I come from what you are doing is blasphemy.

1. Butter
  2. Salt
  3. Pepper
  4. Fire
  5. Done

Anything more and you're just being fancy.

#21 Posted by Fattony12000 (7416 posts) -

Yeah, washing your meaty business in water is a super bad idea, it does nothing to help the process that the meat will undergo during cooking.

#22 Posted by SharkEthic (1049 posts) -
@nmc2008 said:

What exactly are you washing off that fire wont do about a 1000% better job of removing?

#23 Edited by dudeglove (7856 posts) -

OH WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE THIS IS CLEARLY A JOKE

#24 Edited by crithon (3262 posts) -

before you bought that ground beef they washed it with bleach

#25 Edited by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

@nmc2008 said:

What exactly are you washing off that fire wont do about a 1000% better job of removing?

Blood usually, with chicken since I flour and fry I can not and will not take chicken out of the pack season it, flour it and fry it, it's not happening.

Steak: Blood and who knows what.

Turkey: Just giving it a bath.

Chicken: Blood and who knows what.

Pork: Who knows!

Fish: I dunno, but even people whom share yous guyses view seem to wash fish too, they wash fish but not chicken, seems crazy to me.

Besides, if it's so wrong then how come food network chefs do it? I mean they used to teach before they became a reality tv win the prize network and I saw it on there all the time. Were they teaching the world something terrible? *shrugs* I dunno.

#26 Posted by sub_o (899 posts) -

Sometimes, right before I'm going to cook it, depending on what kind of meat it is.

• Steak or cutlet ? Maybe not.
  • Chicken breast ? Yes I will wash it.
  • Innards? Yes.
  • But I don't watch sliced meats, cubed beef for stew, strips of meats for stir fry.
  • Minced meat, yeah try to wash that one.
  • I always wash seafood beforehand.
  • If it's large chunk of meat, that I will cut it myself. I will wash it

It's just quick rinse to remove unwanted debris, e.g. dusts, packagings leftovers, etc.

#27 Edited by Original_Hank (113 posts) -

Why would anyone wash a fish it's in the water 24/7, so it's gotta be the cleanest animal. Use your head!

#28 Posted by sub_o (899 posts) -

Why would anyone wash a fish it's in the water 24/7, so it's gotta be the cleanest animal. Use your head!

Leftover scales. It depends on how you bought your fish, but as someone who buys whole fish, sometimes there are leftover scales on the fish. Rinsing will remove those scales away.

#29 Posted by Village_Guy (2579 posts) -

I'm shocked at the lack of lewd responses to this question.

Anyways, washing meat is weird yo. Just cook it is all.

#30 Posted by geirr (2574 posts) -

Frequently.

#31 Edited by Honkalot (156 posts) -

Completely honestly this is the first time in my life that I have heard of someone washing meat. Maybe it is different in different places?

#32 Edited by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

I was going to just come in here and shout BONERS!, to contrast with all the innuendo that had to inevitably be here, and honestly? It's a little lacking. Was it just too obvious?

#34 Posted by Freshbandito (686 posts) -

She won't touch it if I don't.

#35 Posted by Pezen (1604 posts) -

There is no rational reason to rinse your meat since it just adds more risks and doesn't bring any real benefits.

#36 Posted by 49th (2758 posts) -

Nope, I used to wash it since my parents do. I researched it though and found that it is completely unnecessary as the cooking process will kill bacteria regardless, and running it under water just splashes bacteria around.

I just use some paper towels to dry meat off and remove any blood that might be on it still.

#37 Posted by Dethfish (3666 posts) -

She won't touch it if I don't.

The correct answer.

#38 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Washing meat just has a risk of further contamination. You shouldn't do that, as cooking kills anything on it anyway.

#39 Posted by berniesbc (44 posts) -

No way. There's no reason to wash it unless you dropped it on the floor. As for TV chefs doing this, I've never seen it and I've never seen it done in a proper restaurant kitchen.

#40 Posted by TruthTellah (9101 posts) -

@dudeglove: It may have initially been a joke, but judging by the amount of people who do wash raw meat or poultry, it's actually something worth talking about. People should wash themselves, but washing raw meat, especially in a sink, is not a good thing for anyone to be doing. Maybe talking about it will help some people realize the issues with it and use safer practices in the future. :)

#41 Edited by Jawshua (268 posts) -

I came in here expecting innuendos, I wasn't disappointed.

#42 Posted by SecularBaron (181 posts) -

I don't wash my meat before cooking it. I figured cooking it would eliminate most contaminants. Is this how I die?

#43 Posted by isomeri (1276 posts) -

I really don't understand how water would contaminate your meat if you use the same water for cooking, washing and drinking. That being said I very rarely wash my meat, sort of depending on where the meat comes from. Sometimes game or fish can still have all sorts of stuff like blood and vegetation on it when I get my hands on it so yes I'll wash it before throwing it into a pan or freezer.

#44 Edited by Sammo21 (3277 posts) -

Honestly no, as long as there is no odd cross contamination going on. Cooking the meat fully would kill any germs.

#45 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

@isomeri: Its not so much the water than it is the sink. When you're putting something in a pot or a glass, all that water is going in one thing. When you put something insane like a chicken breast under it, all that water is splashing off the chicken, hitting the sink, and splashing right back on it.

Whatever you think you're washing off is just mixing with whatever is living in the sink and getting back on you're food.

#46 Edited by SarcasticMudcrab (184 posts) -

I've been a chef for 14 years and I can tell you that all you do by washing meat is possibly lose some flavor. Thats assuming you have a good supplier.

Do, however, wash your hands.

#47 Posted by isomeri (1276 posts) -

@landon said:

@isomeri: Its not so much the water than it is the sink. When you're putting something in a pot or a glass, all that water is going in one thing. When you put something insane like a chicken breast under it, all that water is splashing off the chicken, hitting the sink, and splashing right back on it.

Whatever you think you're washing off is just mixing with whatever is living in the sink and getting back on you're food.

That's a little more understandable, but I wash my veggies and dishes in that same sink so by that logic all my utensils and greens should be covered in gross stuff. Granted, they probably are covered in all sorts of bacteria, but I'm pretty anal when it comes to the cleanliness of my kitchen so I'm not really worried about what's living on my surfaces.

My desire to rinse off some meats may steam from how I've learned to handle meat since I was a kid. You kill it, you gut it, you wash it and you cut it.

#48 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4516 posts) -

I wash my hands, but that's about it. I always figured you weren't supposed to wash meat so I never did.

#49 Posted by Nux (2360 posts) -

Sometimes chicken, but not often.

#50 Edited by Ben_H (3361 posts) -

@honkalot said:

Completely honestly this is the first time in my life that I have heard of someone washing meat. Maybe it is different in different places?

Same.

As a person who works with meat for my part time job during school (actual meat processing, not as a chef), this makes no sense. Any major meat supplier will have to follow insanely strict cleanliness standards. Heck, at my job, which is quite small scale, we spend over an hour cleaning at the end of the day (larger operations usually take much longer), and when we switch meats being dealt with we are required to do a complete cleanup to avoid cross-contamination.

Honestly, the dirtiest thing that has been in contact with the meat since it was processed is probably the person who bought it. If the meat has come in contact with your kitchen sink then it is much worse. Not to mention the possibility of contaminated water getting on different surfaces near the sink. Unless you do a complete wipedown of the area around your sink every time you wash meat, you are probably going to end up just making your kitchen less safe while not actually accomplishing anything by washing the meat anyway.

Also, cook your stuff to the right temperature and any bacteria will be dead. The only time people get sick from meat (at least in the extreme majority of cases) is because they did not prepare it correctly. Use a thermometer.