• 58 results
#1 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3808 posts) -

Gather all Whovians as we watch with must sprite, for the Doctor Who special is airing tonight.

Like that? I guess I made it rhyme. Well tonight's the night we bid farewell to Matt Smith as The Doctor and I haven't really been paying a whole lot of attention to those trailers BBC been airing but I'm truly expecting something corny and a somewhat silly story to send off Matt Smith. Airs in a few minutes for UK folks and later tonight on BBC America.

• In the USA, BBC America viewers can enjoy The Time of the Doctor at 9/8c on Christmas Day
  • Canada’s SPACE will also be screening on Christmas Day at 8pm EST (along with a busy schedule of Doctor Who programming, as listed at Doctor Who News)
  • ABC1 in Australia screens The Time of the Doctor on Boxing Day at 7.30pm AEST
  • New Zealand’s PRIME is broadcasting on Boxing Day too, 8.30pm
  • Fans in South Africa will be able to watch the regeneration on BBC Entertainment at 11.25am on Boxing Day (December 26th)
  • Germany’s growing band of Doctor Who fans (and those in the nearby countries able to view FOX) should be ready at 9.35pm CET on Christmas Day.
  • Scandinvia and Poland have BBC Entertainment to thank or a 7pm CET broadcast on Sunday, December 29th.
  • Based in Latin/South America? BBC HD has a 2pm CST screening for you on Christmas Day.

Discuss your thoughts on Matt Smith's last episode here!

#2 Edited by Petiew (1360 posts) -

I thought the episode was really bad. I'm not really a big fan of Doctor Who, but I found the 50th Anniversary Special much better and enjoyed that to an extent. This just seemed really badly written and even cheesier than usual.

#3 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2221 posts) -

Seems like it was quite shitty if Twitter is any indication. Shame, I really enjoyed the one season of Who I watched.(Smith's first.)

#4 Edited by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

Imma watch later tonight with my family. Should be an interesting episode.

#5 Posted by Nux (2420 posts) -

I've been waiting all day for this. Can't wait to watch it.

#6 Edited by Gnubberen (784 posts) -

I thought the episode was okay, not that great, but not that bad either.

Also...

HOW DO YOU FLY THIS THING?

#7 Edited by Sanj (2537 posts) -

I think a lot of people's disappointment comes from the fact that it's a regeneration episode and we have more preconceived ideas about how the episode/regeneration is going to go down, as opposed to most other episodes where we have no idea what to expect and instead let it take us for a ride. I myself had some expectations about how the regeneration would be handled, having loved Tennant's one, and was left...a little disappointed at first. I didn't hate it, but again there were a few things I would've done differently. However, that said there was much about this episode I really liked and I'm sure upon second viewing I'll probably enjoy the episode more.

Having read a couple twitter reactions, I have this to say: To those who aren't up-to-date on Who, you're probably not going to dig the special. This is not a jumping-on-point episode. There are plenty of those episodes, but this isn't one of them. It's the last episode of a Doctor's tenure, of course you're going to be confused.

#8 Posted by Chop (1998 posts) -

I didn't think it was bad or anything, it just didn't have the impact I expected it to have. Kinda felt like just another episode; not a big event.

#9 Posted by Dixavd (1369 posts) -

I just came to say I really enjoyed it. It had some moments that made me wince a bit, but I find that most Doctor Who has those parts now and I'm generally indifferent to them now. I think Matt Smith did an excellent job though, I liked how the episode weaved together his young charming childlike side with his darker bitter side.

I also liked the cameo of Amy Pond - it's nice to know they didn't just ignore her for the 50th Anniversary year.

#10 Posted by Heltom92 (714 posts) -

I really liked this episode. Sounds like some people didn't like it cos they didn't know what was going on which is understandable as it called back to plots from throughout Matt smith's time as the doctor. I thought it was a epic end to his doctor, although it felt a bit rushed in some spots.

#11 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -

The contrivance of the "Oh fuck it he can regenerate again" was stupid.

Saying that, it was a good episode. As always, great characterisation, and a very emotional finish. Approved!

#12 Posted by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

Cant wait for the new doctor but ultimately what's needed is a fresh writer. Moffat is too quick to rewrite the rulebook every season and he's starting to do with the Silence and the statues what's already been done with the cybermen and daleks, just wearing them beyond thin even though they were fantastic in their debut episodes.

I felt like this kind of encompassed what Matt Smith's doctor was in a nutshell, more than a little hokey and melodramatic. Hoping this new guy has more in common with 10 or they go a completely new direction. I didnt expect a fantastic story, I expected a condescending amount of fanservice based on the poster. Ending had me a bit teared up, though I dont care for them framing Amy as if that was 11's Rose when that was never the parameters of the relationship, Moffat again just writing in whatever the hell he wants to evoke the right emotion even if it doesnt make sense.

#13 Posted by Dixavd (1369 posts) -

@ryanwhom:

I don't think I took that part with Amy as some sort of ulterior relationship: more like a symmetry of the girl growing up and moving on helping the Doctor do the same. More like a father daughter thing. Maybe that's just me though.

#14 Posted by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

@sanj said:
Having read a couple twitter reactions, I have this to say: To those who aren't up-to-date on Who, you're probably not going to dig the special. This is not a jumping-on-point episode. There are plenty of those episodes, but this isn't one of them. It's the last episode of a Doctor's tenure, of course you're going to be confused.

It wasnt an issue of people on twitter not being up on Doctor Who lore. Everyone remembers the crack in time and everyone remembers Trensalore from a couple episodes back and Gallifrey from the last special. Shit, all you need to know to have seen to follow this, really, is the previous 2 episodes. But the church is new and makes almost no sense, deciding to explain the silence was weird and made about as much sense as Aliens in Prometheus, and the town called Christmas where you cant lie because... oh shit Moffat forgot to get around to writing that bit I guess. Just go with the premise, guys.

#15 Posted by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

@dixavd said:

@ryanwhom:

I don't think I took that part with Amy as some sort of ulterior relationship: more like a symmetry of the girl growing up and moving on helping the Doctor do the same. More like a father daughter thing. Maybe that's just me though.

To me it kinda felt like "well River showed up in the Intelligence episode, Rose showed up in the special, let's just bring in Amy its her turn". I get the circular logic in the first face he sees being the last but isnt he supposed to be thinking about the most important person in his life as that doctor? Wouldnt that be your wife? I just felt to me like well lets go ahead and queue up the Amy fanservice bit now.

#16 Posted by Dixavd (1369 posts) -

@ryanwhom: I can see that, but I think having nothing would be more disappointing without any sort of resolution/acceptance together after Amy's last episode.

#17 Posted by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

@dixavd said:

@ryanwhom: I can see that, but I think having nothing would be more disappointing without any sort of resolution/acceptance together after Amy's last episode.

I think that's its own episode. Him having a hallucination didnt really feel cathartic to me. I wouldnt want them to just repeat Tennant's last episode either though, actually revisiting everyone. Im no master writer here, but I feel like Tasha Lem coulda gathered up the companions, right, for his last moments. Especially since Moffat goes out of his way to break the "timestream is locked" premise so often, since Tasha's manning the Tardis no the doc then she coulda picked up Rorie, Amy, River, whoever else. There were other ways to go about it is all Im saying. And I feel like more time and care used to go into these specials. There used to be time rules and that set up heart wrenching farewell episodes for doctors and companions but now its just like 'do whatever'.

#18 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4882 posts) -

The major problem I had with the episode is that Trenzalore (much like all of the mysteries during Smith's run) was built up as this epic, climactic battle where the Doctor was finally laid to rest and it turns out to be a town with fifty extras and it snows all the time. What?

When they arrived at Trenzalore in the season 7 finale it was a genuinely unsettling place. A dead planet with a broken Tardis and just wall to wall graves. It built a specific image in my mind of what that battle was and in true Doctor Who fashion they didn't have the time or the budget to deliver on that promise. It sucks when that happens because I can see flashes of this really amazing science fiction show buried under all the melodrama. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a children's program and that I can't go into it expecting anything more than that; although episodes like The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit make it much harder to do so. I really just want more of that. Hardcore science fiction that isn't afraid to talk over children's heads.

On the whole though I think this was a decent finale for Matt Smith's doctor. Season 5 and 6 contained some of the best episodes of Doctor Who I've ever seen. Having been on board since the reboot, I really latched onto Smith in a way I never did Tennant. I loved the dynamic between the Doctor, Amy, and Rorie. I really liked River Song. The entire supporting cast during Smith's run was fantastic until the second half of season 7. I don't know what the hell happened. Maybe Moffat ran out of steam.

Anyway, those are my scatterbrained thoughts. I want more out of this show than it can give because of its nature as a children's program, and yet I keep tuning in to see the rare episodes like Silence in the Library because they truly are something special.

Meh, fuck it. I'll stick around for the first couple of episodes of this new Doctor. If it continues the terrible trend set by Season 7B I'll probably just drop the show.

#19 Edited by Sammo21 (3538 posts) -

I am pretty excited for Matt Smith to be gone; it took me a while to warm up to him but he never really sold it for me. I like, literally, every other Doctor more than Smith. Honestly though, this is more Moffat's fault than Smith's. I also hope Moffat can get away from the darker tone of most of Smith's run and get back to something resembling fun and light again.

#20 Edited by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

Tennant used to have revelations and ramble on science words, nonsense really, but an acknowledgement that the rules of the universe could explain whatever goofy thing happens to be happening. Smith, almost a surrogate for a burned out writer, just waves his hands and says "timey wimey" or, lately, he doesnt investigate why something's happening at all, which seems entirely counter to the character. Man had half a century or so to figure out why you cant lie on that planet, and also the premise of "you cant lie on the planet" never factored into the resolution, it was just like some random thing.

Its like, you look at all the pieces, a town that can't lie that's interesting, the doctor being stuck somewhere for centuries that's novel, having a companion cyberman head that's weird, that's like old school Dr. Who kooky like K-9 I can appreciate that. Its like a bunch of half developed ideas were just clumped together and thrown in a blender.

#22 Posted by Mike76x (558 posts) -

The contrivance of the "Oh fuck it he can regenerate again" was stupid.

The Timelords can grant new regeneration cycles, they did it with the Master over 20 years ago, it's nothing new.

@ryanwhom said:

@sanj said:

It wasnt an issue of people on twitter not being up on Doctor Who lore. Everyone remembers the crack in time and everyone remembers Trensalore from a couple episodes back and Gallifrey from the last special. Shit, all you need to know to have seen to follow this, really, is the previous 2 episodes. But the church is new and makes almost no sense, deciding to explain the silence was weird and made about as much sense as Aliens in Prometheus, and the town called Christmas where you cant lie because... oh shit Moffat forgot to get around to writing that bit I guess. Just go with the premise, guys.

It's the same Church from "Demon's Run" as were "the Silents" (the confessional priests). Thats why Madame Kovarian went back in time stole baby Melody to kill the Doctor. The "Truth field" emanating from Galifrey through the crack in the wall so they would only receive a truthful response to the question, "Doctor Who?

@ryanwhom said:

Tennant used to have revelations and ramble on science words, nonsense really, but an acknowledgement that the rules of the universe could explain whatever goofy thing happens to be happening. Smith, almost a surrogate for a burned out writer, just waves his hands and says "timey wimey" or, lately, he doesnt investigate why something's happening at all, which seems entirely counter to the character. Man had half a century or so to figure out why you cant lie on that planet, and also the premise of "you cant lie on the planet" never factored into the resolution, it was just like some random thing.

"Truth field" emanating from Galifrey through the crack in the wall so they would only receive a truthful response to the question, "Doctor Who?" It was explained.

#23 Posted by TheHT (11777 posts) -

The actual transformation happened far quicker than I expected. Just a snap and he was the new Doctor. Kinda underwhelming.

Sure, it's hard to top the 11th/12th regeneration, but even the 10th/11th had more drama.

#24 Posted by EternalVigil (303 posts) -

I haven't watched it all yet, just caught the ending. They actually made his final scene even more melodramatic than Tennant's was.

I'll be honest, as I've been steadily growing more and more tired of the show since Moffat took over. As while he is without a shadow of a doubt a superb writer for one-shot stories (Blink, The Empty Child etc.) I've never been a fan of the need for huge amounts of time spent on building up to some mystery that gets eventually paid off in the finale, as I personally feel it takes away a lot of the plot of individual episodes, as they have to invest so much time into that, it does tend to lead to the issue of the week sometimes being sorted rather quickly and without much explanation as to how it fixes it.

I also agree with the point raised here already, as all this build-up to these major events (Like Trenzalore) you piece the clues together and every single time so far, the final big reveal has been a bit of a letdown, like all that teasing about possibly revealing the Doctor's name and the plan of the Great Intelligence was pretty much got wrapped up in 3 minutes with no real payoff.

With the stuff set-up in the 50th anniversary and now a fresh Doctor at the controls, I really hope they go back to basics. The core premise of the show is such a great leaping off point for virtually any story you could want to tell, and yet, they'd rather keeping using the weeping angels over and over and be bogged down in all this mystery building and melodrama.

I'm going to watch it fully tomorrow, but I really feel if things don't change much in terms of the writing choices, I'm pretty sure I'm done now. This would be a good start.

#25 Posted by Mike76x (558 posts) -

@theht said:

The actual transformation happened far quicker than I expected. Just a snap and he was the new Doctor. Kinda underwhelming.

Sure, it's hard to top the 11th/12th regeneration, but even the 10th/11th had more drama.

In the old days they just faded one face to the next and acted like they had brain damage for a few minutes.

"If the sum of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the square on the other two sides, why is a mouse when it spins?"

#26 Posted by Wraxend (570 posts) -

The 10th was my favourite for so long but after tonights episode I've realised how much more I'm gonna miss the 11th. Also that speech at the end was so moving and I'm really sad to see Smith leave. However I do agree with others that the actual transformation was over way to quick, thought for a second that there was an issue with the recording.

#27 Edited by Andorski (5365 posts) -

Just saw the episode. At least the 50th anniversary was a great episode.

Like many of the bad episodes in Matt Smith's run, I root the problem in the episode's writing rather than the acting. Moffat tried to juggle so many elements and fails to execute on any of them. Unless someone wants me to, I rather not type out an entire essay with the issues I have with the story. Though I think it's important to point out the single biggest detriment with the Matt Smith era - an issue that was emphasized in this episode and a constant problem with Moffat's writing in Doctor Who: The importance of his god damn FUCKING name.

This has been the central theme of Eleven's entire run. Series 5 brings up the reminder that "The Silence Will Fall." Series 6 then asks the question "Doctor Who?" Series 7 culminates in an episode called "The Name of the Doctor," which was a clever ruse to think that the story would entail the Doctor's name but instead focused on the idea that the name, "The Doctor," had meaning. This leads to the 50th anniversary where John Hurt's character does not call himself the Doctor due to what he plans to do and yadda, yadda, yadda (you know how that story goes).

In this episode the Doctor contemplates saying his name to free the Time Lords (leading to galactic war) while the Papal Mainframe tries to silence him and keeping peace, albeit through blowing up an innocent planet. In the end when Daleks and the Church are letting loose the dogs of war on this village, Clara says to the Time Lords via the crack in the universe,

"You have been asking a question, and it's time someone told you [that] you've been getting it wrong. His name... his name is the Doctor. [It's] all the name he needs; everything you need to know about him."

WHAT THE FUCK, MOFFAT?!? YOU HAVE CREATED THIS MYSTERY ABOUT THE DOCTOR FOR THE PAST THREE SERIES AND IN THE END YOU GO OUT AND SAY, "FUCK IT, HIS REAL NAME ISN'T IMPORTANT. HE'S JUST THE DOCTOR."

Not only does Moffat completely sidestep the question he has prompted his entire career as this show's runner, the answer he does give - the idea that his title as the Doctor and all the amazing things he does under that surname is paramount - was the entire focal point of the last god damn episode you wrote. Fuck off with that shit.

On the bright side, I think Smith did a great job as the Doctor. He is the youngest actor to take the role, but he gave the character a sense of elder wisdom and boyish charm that I thought was missing from Tennant and Eccleston. Nine and Ten acted like late-30/early-40 year old mad geniuses. Conversely, Smith found a great balance between acting like an optimistic child and a grumpy old geezer.

Lastly, on a side-related note, Moffat really pushed Coleman's character aside in the most dramatic part of the regeneration scene and said, "sit in the corner and let Gillan's Amy Pond have the last moment with Smith's Doctor. Karen is done filming Guardians of the Galaxy, right?" Clara still doesn't feel like an actual companion to the Doctor. Coleman has been in less than a series so far and her character doesn't really travel with the Doctor on the TARDIS. She kinda just gets picked up every once in a while. This was Clara's first huge event with the Doctor (not counting the 50th anniversary since she really didn't play that big of a role) and Moffat pushes her away for Amelia to have the big moment. Amy Pond is the most prolific companion in New Who, with her being in 2.5 series. She even got her own companion, more commonly known as Rorie Williams. God damn, give that character a break and let Clara grow into the role for once.

/rant

#28 Edited by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

Yeah doc fancying his mother-in-law in his last throws, this show loves its greek tragedy but that's a little too "greek" even for me. Also

@mike76x:

So the purpose of the truth field was to do what exactly? Only the doctor knows his name and the truth field certainly does nothing in the way of withholding information, you just cant lie. So as an explanation its lacking and its still a half baked premise that never really develops into anything. And also, the signal can be heard everywhere but the truth feild is limited to the planet? A whole universe that can't lie, that'd be a fun episode. But instead we get a handful of "that's a cool idea"s that promptly get dropped and buried. Which is Moffat's wheelhouse lately. Like he gets half of a good idea and then something shiny distracts him and he's like "well let's get this rubbish premise out of the way I have a new brilliant idea." Get that man some lithium.

#29 Posted by Akyho (1698 posts) -

@ryanwhom said:

Cant wait for the new doctor but ultimately what's needed is a fresh writer. Moffat is too quick to rewrite the rulebook every season and he's starting to do with the Silence and the statues what's already been done with the cybermen and daleks, just wearing them beyond thin even though they were fantastic in their debut episodes.

I felt like this kind of encompassed what Matt Smith's doctor was in a nutshell, more than a little hokey and melodramatic. Hoping this new guy has more in common with 10 or they go a completely new direction. I didnt expect a fantastic story, I expected a condescending amount of fanservice based on the poster. Ending had me a bit teared up, though I dont care for them framing Amy as if that was 11's Rose when that was never the parameters of the relationship, Moffat again just writing in whatever the hell he wants to evoke the right emotion even if it doesnt make sense.

I think you may have hut it on the head for me. We knew very little about the Silence when they were introduced, now I dont think I know anything about the Silence. Yes the weeping angles were aw4some on their first episode, it was a bit of a non Doctor Who episode but it was fun. Noooooooow oh god he has destroyed all the rules of his own creation. Satue of Liberty angle?

Like you say aswell Cybermen and Daleks have are starting to be very diffrent than in past, such as the cadaver daleks.

#30 Posted by Mike76x (558 posts) -

@ryanwhom said:

Yeah doc fancying his mother-in-law in his last throws, this show loves its greek tragedy but that's a little too "greek" even for me. Also

@mike76x:

So the purpose of the truth field was to do what exactly? Only the doctor knows his name and the truth field certainly does nothing in the way of withholding information, you just cant lie. So as an explanation its lacking and its still a half baked premise that never really develops into anything. And also, the signal can be heard everywhere but the truth feild is limited to the planet? A whole universe that can't lie, that'd be a fun episode. But instead we get a handful of "that's a cool idea"s that promptly get dropped and buried. Which is Moffat's wheelhouse lately. Like he gets half of a good idea and then something shiny distracts him and he's like "well let's get this rubbish premise out of the way I have a new brilliant idea." Get that man some lithium.

Before Paul McGann's Doctor regeneration (in the Night of the Doctor webisode) he spoke of every companion he had in that incarnation, and asked for their forgivness for deciding to go to war.

Tennant's Doctor visited his companions one last time. It makes sense that he would recall the first face his face saw, as he had mentioned it to Amy before. Amy was also his companion for most of his regeneration, and there's also the guilt of losing her.

The question can be heard everywhere, the truth field is limited to the area where you would answer it.The townspeople said its effects are stronger near the tower. Galifrey calling is the reason for his name being the question, his actual name isn't what matters. According to the Wiki page, his Granddaughter Susan's Galifreyan name is Arkytior, doesn't change anything. The Timelords of Galifrey are trapped in another universe calling out with a truth field to the one person that can bring them back, that's their plan. Clara let them know he needed help and they knew she was telling the truth.

#31 Edited by Embryonic (144 posts) -

I think Matt should've regenerated during the 50th where they had a longer run-time and (I imagine) a bigger budget to work with. The Christmas episodes always tend to be on the hokey side.

#32 Edited by takayamasama (440 posts) -

I really liked this episode and the handling of the regeneration.

I liked the throw backs to all of Matt Smith's seasons, especially answering why the TARDIS exploded in season 5. I enjoyed that the Doctor was dead set to protect the town, and lived there for hundreds of years, aging properly. The crack being Gallifrey's conduit to find the Doctor after the 50th was neat, and worked in conjunction with 11th's history. It also helps paint a picture of what the next season will be about, since the Time Lords have found him, and the Doctor has found the Time Lords, at least in the sense of confirming that they survived the Time War.

And I realllllly liked the regeneration sequence. It's been noted quite a few times before that the Time Lords, in full strength, can manage the amount of regeneration's a individual can have, be it take away or grant more, so that was perfectly valid. I also think it was a nice back step to lessen the overall drama of a regeneration. 10's regeneration was sad and powerful, but also somewhat overdone compared to previous Doctors. Classic Doctors just did a quick face change similar to this, and 9 to 10 was pretty quick as well. Was also a nice touch to see 11 go thinking of Amy, since most Doctors do reflect on the companions they have had during their cycle. 10 got to revisit them all, and 9 only had Rose, who was present with him during the regeneration.

Super excited to see what Capaldi does for the roll, as well as see the interaction between the Doctor now that he has an older appearance. Also wondering when/how Clara will be done being a companion. With a character as crucial to the Doctor's timeline as Clara, I can't imagine her being on of the companions that just gets bored or done traveling and goes off on her own. So I am somewhat expecting her to die, as gut punching as that will be.

#33 Edited by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

Arent there like a hundred thousand Claras spread out over time? I wouldnt have minded if that continued to be her companion role, showing up as new people the doctor happens to run into. It would also allow them to bring the Intelligence back as well and develop him more. Sometimes Moffat surprises me in fun ways, like making a special with Billie and David but not using the Billie and David you think he will. But then you get this. The doctor spend hundreds of years trying to figure out the mystery of Clara while being haunted by her dying for him twice, and she's there in his last moments and he's like "Im just gonna imagine that hot redhead from a while back and ignore the person here who I obsessed over for centuries so I can fantasize about the girl I kept forgetting". Also, in his more recent memory, he's spent so much time with someone, their entire life essentially, and their kid and grandkids, on this planet Christmas or whatever. In the scheme of time he spent something like 3 or 4 years maybe with Amy? At this point its mincing, and I get the poetry in ending with the companion you started with (but I think the poetry makes more sense if its the child version of Amy saying goodby, though I get the practical hurdle in that being that child is now probably grown and also why not do a cameo).

I dont think I or anyone else complaining is overthinking it. This series has in the past challenged and awarded fans for noticing everything and connecting things, that same level of scrutiny now just creates frustrating story gaps.

#34 Edited by takayamasama (440 posts) -

@ryanwhom: He already figured Clara out though. Clara was fragmented along his past in the same spots as the great Intelligence was, with the sole purpose to stop the GI and keep the Doctor's timeline how it should have been. There were only as many Clara's as there were points in his timeline where the Great Intelligence tried to change things, and the GI never went to the Doctor's future, so neither did Clara. The last Clara (or rather Origin Clara) is his current companion, and her mystery really got solve during The Name of the Doctor. Also the GI story ends with him going into 11th's timeline, as it kills him in the process. I think the 2nd Doctor has a few episodes thwarting the GI though, if you want more of that story.

#35 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

I thought it was ok. I like that they at least addressed that the Doctor's was out of regenerations (honestly I thought they were going to pretend the David Tennant Hand thing didn't exist).

The actual last 5 minutes I really enjoyed. The Doctor's speech about how he will go on but will always remember his previous versions was really touching. I felt like that was the proper sent off for him. Peter's introduction felt rather short however and could have been done better.

#36 Edited by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

@takayamasama said:

@ryanwhom: He already figured Clara out though. Clara was fragmented along his past in the same spots as the great Intelligence was, with the sole purpose to stop the GI and keep the Doctor's timeline how it should have been. There were only as many Clara's as there were points in his timeline where the Great Intelligence tried to change things, and the GI never went to the Doctor's future, so neither did Clara. The last Clara (or rather Origin Clara) is his current companion, and her mystery really got solve during The Name of the Doctor. Also the GI story ends with him going into 11th's timeline, as it kills him in the process. I think the 2nd Doctor has a few episodes thwarting the GI though, if you want more of that story.

My understanding was he stepped into the timeline from the end of the doctor's life, which meant he would also be showing up in the future. Im not interested in the old GI, I thought the actor chosen for the current one was interesting and his minions were kinda worth seeing again. In his last episode, he almost felt like a not crappy version of the Master, as a villain he could be built on more and I thought from that episode they had the perfect excuse to bring him back in the future. Similarly, keeping Clara around in that way instead of a constant companion they clearly don't know what to do with (she's very much beginning to feel like Martha all over again) could make her an interesting occasional companion, in a vein more like River Song.

I will say, cus I feel like Im shitting on this show. I will say I thought Capaldi basically sneezing into existence was pretty great. Gave me hope there'd be a bit less melodrama in the coming season, bit more quirk and levity.

#37 Edited by OurSin_360 (947 posts) -

I've been watching Doctor Who since it came back in 2005, and while i agree moffat had some problems here and there i think the show is still great and this episode sent smith off in good fashion. The whole thing about the regeneration limit threw me for a loop, since i remember them doing away with that and making it unlimited a while ago. *shrugs* I also liked they brought back Amy, because who the hell is clara anyway? I'm still not even used to her, even though i like the character i don't see an emotional connection between her and the doctor yet. I think they should have killed Amy off later like they did rose. I like where the new doctor is going already though, seems like he already forgot who he was lol.

I think people focus to much on creators and not enough on just enjoying the material, i see it a lot in games now too, i like to just forget that stuff and try and get invested int he characters and story, and not over analyze the structure and possible plot problems in things.

#38 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3808 posts) -

Still can't get over the fact that both Matt Smith and Karen Gillian last scene together as The Doctor and Amy Pond had them both bald as a baby wearing wigs... Thoughts are still over the place with this one but thought the last scene was a great way to send off Matt Smith. It makes me sad thinking about this now but the bow tie will forever be one of those iconic symbols for the Doctor similar to Baker's scarf and Tennant's Chuck T's. Him taking off the bow tie was a great symbol for bow ties are "still cool" but not for the next one. Shit dude Peter Capaldi scowl is memorizing can't wait to see what he does with the role!

#39 Posted by Andorski (5365 posts) -

I'm really interested to see how Peter Capaldi crafts his Doctor. I guess we'll wait and see... in August...

#40 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3808 posts) -

@andorski said:

I'm really interested to see how Peter Capaldi crafts his Doctor. I guess we'll wait and see... in August...

His closing scene with Clara just felt right, by that I mean an older Doctor and a beautiful young companion. Really getting a old school Doctor Who vibe going cause let's face it, all the Doctors since the reboot (excluding John Hurt) have been young! We're finally getting a Doctor who is probably an appropriate age for the Doctor.

#41 Edited by Andorski (5365 posts) -

@i_stay_puft: It might be because he's newly regenerated and the TARDIS seems to be crashing, but Capaldi came off a little unhinged in his portrayal of the Doctor. I would love for that to be an indication of what Twelve will be like. Nine, Ten, and Eleven had an eclectic suaveness to their demeanor; it would be great to see Twelve be unapologetically kooky in a "I'm too old to care about being cool" sort of way.

#42 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3808 posts) -

@andorski said:

@i_stay_puft: It might be because he's newly regenerated and the TARDIS seems to be crashing, but Capaldi came off a little unhinged in his portrayal of the Doctor. I would love for that to be an indication of what Twelve will be like. Nine, Ten, and Eleven had an eclectic suaveness to their demeanor; it would be great to see Twelve be apologetically kooky in a "I'm too old to care about being cool" sort of way.

That'd be awesome if they went this route.

#43 Posted by NoctisLucisCaelum (94 posts) -

Matt Smith was my first Doctor, gonna miss him :(

#44 Edited by TheFridge (95 posts) -

I liked the episode even though, yes, there were a few spots that fell flat because they were rushed and tried to cram too much in. BUT I think it was a great end to Matt Smith and his time as The Doctor. Really like the fake reveal they did when Clara goes back in to the TARDIS after The Doctor 'resets' his regeneration. Plus that Bow Tie drop was perfect.

Looking forward to Peter Capaldi. (The Kidney delivery felt like 10 and the joke about their colour felt like 11)

#45 Posted by Tajasaurus (977 posts) -

i know that the time of the doctor was meant to be like a retrospective of everything from matt smith’s time as the doctor, but it was just done in a shitty and really on the nose kind of way.

i hope with a new doctor things will be better. or at least that things will change.

#46 Posted by ShotgunLincoln (320 posts) -

I enjoyed the episode, thought it as a lot of fun. I think what people complain about is actually really funny to me because they seem to not understand that it's an incredibly goofy sci-fi show that goes for a target audience of pre-teens. You wanna see some dumb, poorly written Doctor Who episodes? Watch any that Russel T Davies wrote.

#47 Posted by Ryanmc94 (50 posts) -

I thought it was great until the crack in time formed in the sky and gave The Doctor the ability to regenerate again. It just didn't make sense. If the time lords were capable of doing that then why would it be an issue in the first place! I'd be reseting every few years if I was living on Gallifrey. Otherwise it was solid. Maybe Peter Capaldi will be Moffat's chance to reboot and hopefully cleans the show of all the batshit crazy stuff that happened... I can't say I enjoyed much of the 2012-2013 series

#48 Edited by Sanj (2537 posts) -

Guys, a theory about Tasha Lem: Didn't Tasha and the Doctor's relationship seem familiar? Also, what's Lem spelled backwards...And, as we've seen, new regenerations can be granted to those who've run out. Also, River was stored in a Library computer...Tasha leads the Church of the Papal Mainframe. Lastly:

Tasha - We Engineered a Psychopath to kill you...

Doctor - Totally married her...I'd never have made it here alive without River Song.

(several minutes later)

Doctor - You have been fighting the psychopath inside you all your life.

#49 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

Having not watched an episode in about a season and a half, this made no sense to me at all.

#50 Posted by dudeglove (8274 posts) -

It was under budgeted and half filled with jokes about theology that very few people probably got. Aside from a handful of amusing one liners, you're better off just skipping the first 57 minutes. And goddammit just fuck off and die already, Amelia Pond.

About the only thing you can extract from that episode is that he's probably Gandalf now. Their take on A Christmas Carol a few years ago was probably one of the best episodes to actually make use of time travel mindfuckery, rather than some bullshit maguffin, and required next to no knowledge of the doctor who universe.