Does anybody listen to Weekend Confirmed?

• 57 results
nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By nickux

I've been a huge fan of Garnett since the early early days of 1UP Yours. I was so excited to see Weekend Confirmed get started and for the last- what- year or so it's been going I've tried to like it. But for the life of me I can't stand Brian Leahy. Every episode he bitches and moans about something and, I mean, he just doesn't have much of a personality and that sticks out more and more on a 2-hour podcast. Does anybody else listen to the show, what are your thoughts on the format, hosts, etc. It's a shame- I wanted to love Garnett's show but this just doesn't compare. Sorry, I just had to vent about this shit. Damn Leahy mucking up my podcast routine.  

Also, I feel I should add that despite my issues with some of the guests, I come back to it every week for Garnett because I think what he does is really great and his passion and enthusiasm are infectious. I don't mean to sound as if I hate the show, far from it. Listening to podcasts with Garnett has been a friday tradition with me for years, way back when I was in college. I don't play to stop that any time soon.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the music breaks. What do listeners think of Del Rio's interludes? 

Avatar image for hunkaburningluv
hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hunkaburningluv

Brian seems to me, to be the next Luke, I do think he adds a good deal to the podcast - the second best gaming podcast on the net.....

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nickux
@CaLe said:
" I used to listen to it but I stopped. Garnett just seems sleazy to me. "
haha true but wait- I thought the sleaze was sort of a bonus!
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Hamst3r

If Brian Leahy is who was defending "ducking" and stating that a lot of gamers are overly-impatient when it comes to cutscenes - I'm on his side.

boardwalkernj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By boardwalkernj

I have listened to it since the 1up days also and I agree about Leahy.  So much whining. I wish there was a way to get John Davidson back with the crew.

dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By dantheman1515

Over the summer when I had a bunch of free time i listened to weekend confirmed, but now I just listen to the bombcast, and try to squeeze in the occasional rebel fm episode.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By benpack

I haven't listened to a 1up podcast since the massive layoffs.

Edit: Shows how out of the loop I am, I thought it was a 1up podcast.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By EpicSteve

I listen to it. Sometimes I find it hard to keep up, they bounce around topics too much. However, it's the 2nd best gaming podcast around.

Xakura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Xakura

Yeah, I do. Mostly good, but have some occasional problems with Garnett (I think?), that whole "games does not need crouching" was ..misinformed.
nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nickux

All right I've cooled down, I can put these guns away. Meaning I just unflexed my arms. Yeah I mean I think Brian contributes something to the podcast, he mostly works well at keeping the conversation grounded. He just whines a lot. I think really I just want the old crew of Garnett, Shane, and John back but it'll never happen. It's still a good show but the dynamic between the three of them won't touch the best of 1UP Yours.

seitanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By seitanic

Nope. 

I liked 1up Yours, but it was definitely in spite of Garnett and not because of him. Dude has always bugged me. 

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Malakhii

I've listened to it a little bit, enough to feel I kind of have a grasp of what you're talking about. Brian is alright, he is just very embedded into his beliefs, and he comes off as kind of a prick, in that he normally won't give an inch to the other side in an argument. Even though from what I've listened to I tend to agree with his opinions ( especially when he goes off on the others for complaining games are too hard), his strong opinions can make him sound like an elitist. Plus his voice is really annoying. Proof some people have radio voices, and others really don't.    

The music is ok from what I've heard, but I've never really picked up something I thought was awesome. If you don't like it you can just FF, so it's not that bad.  

I really like the shacknews website for news though, they do a pretty damn good job, and I think it's pretty cool the writers answer people back, even in the comments section of an article, even regularly having extended discussions and debates. Not a ground breaking thing for sure, but it's kind of cool to have a little back and forth with the writer.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DeShawn2ks
@nickux:   Is Brian Leahy the one that said he doesn't like Trophies because they don't do anything but he is all about achievements? If he is I agree because all that dude does is whine and is real negative on everything plus a hypocrite. They also seem to do this thing where they say something negative about Sony products and then one of them will cut in in a mocking voice acting like a Sony fanboy "oh you are in Microsofts pocket because you devoted so much time to Kinect and not Move blah blah blah". I just find that stuff real annoying and childish and you don't have to mock fanboys on a forum every damn time you say something bad, we all know how people get on forums and the things they say. Just listen to it every time they say something bad about Sony they do it and I call it almost every time. Who cares what fanboys think fanboys are going to be fanboys. I like the music interludes though. I really missed the old 1up Yours crew. Ever since that massive layoffs I find most of their podcast garbage. They all sound like they are trying to hard to be funny and they hate on everything except Dragon Quest, Call of Duty and Pokemon.  
Avatar image for theblindchessman
TheBlindChessman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheBlindChessman

Listened to it for a while but gave up, it seemed as no-one would ever challenge Garnett on stuff so it had a really odd dynamic. On the old 1up days it felt like there was a level playing field for everyone on the podcast.

Only videogame podcasts I listen to now are Giant Bomb and Rebel FM's.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By hockeymask27

Nope. The bombcast is the only one for me.

eqaddictedfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By eqaddictedfool

I used to listen to alot of the 1up podcasts like 1up yours and gfw radio but havnt had the heart to listen to them since the main crew dispersed.

CactusJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By CactusJack

I listen to it.  I like all 3 of the guys on there for different reasons.  Garnett IS mildly skeezy.  I like Cannata, and Leahy is OK.  Leahy is the whiney fanboy of the bunch, but he's not too bad.  I really do miss John Davison.  He should be on a Bombcast......along with Johnny V.  

I think that would happen, we would all die from all the awesome
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Fallen189

I listen to it right now. It's the best videogame podcast out there, now that Idle Thumbs has sadly gone. I love Cannata.

skywing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By skywing

I haven't missed a weekend confirmed or a 1UP yours yet.

PS3RG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PS3RG

I too have been an early 1UP Yours listener and IMHO its hard to beat Lee, Davison, MacDonald, Smith and  Bettenhausen when it comes to a gaming podcast. But those days are long gone and I actually happen to like Weekend Confirmed and think that each member including Mr. Leahy brings their own certain "charm" to the table. I think if you like video and follow video game news at all, you should give WC a listen.  

edit: I am not a fan of Rio's musical interludes or Garnett's choice in the music he uses in the song section. As for a fourth chair, I would love it if Mr. Davison was available.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Skytylz

Yah, just because of garnett and I'm getting closer and closer to stopping.  they need a fourth chair that's good.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nickux
@DeShawn2ks said:
" @nickux:   Is Brian Leahy the one that said he doesn't like Trophies because they don't do anything but he is all about achievements? If he is I agree because all that dude does is whine and is real negative on everything plus a hypocrite. They also seem to do this thing where they say something negative about Sony products and then one of them will cut in in a mocking voice acting like a Sony fanboy "oh you are in Microsofts pocket because you devoted so much time to Kinect and not Move blah blah blah". I just find that stuff real annoying and childish and you don't have to mock fanboys on a forum every damn time you say something bad, we all know how people get on forums and the things they say. Just listen to it every time they say something bad about Sony they do it and I call it almost every time. Who cares what fanboys think fanboys are going to be fanboys. I like the music interludes though. I really missed the old 1up Yours crew. Ever since that massive layoffs I find most of their podcast garbage. They all sound like they are trying to hard to be funny and they hate on everything except Dragon Quest, Call of Duty and Pokemon.   "
Yes! haha that whole trophy rant was actually one of the things that prompted me to make a topic. It really has nothing to do with Sony or trophies but more just a general tone the show takes on when he gets on a soapbox. He sucks all the fun out of a very fun hobby.
Avatar image for hunkaburningluv
hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hunkaburningluv
@nickux said:
" All right I've cooled down, I can put these guns away. Meaning I just unflexed my arms. Yeah I mean I think Brian contributes something to the podcast, he mostly works well at keeping the conversation grounded. He just whines a lot. I think really I just want the old crew of Garnett, Shane, and John back but it'll never happen. It's still a good show but the dynamic between the three of them won't touch the best of 1UP Yours. "
shane was on it a few weeks ago. IMO Brian is just a slightly less bitter Luke Smith. 

I loved the 1up! stuff back in the day the without the 1UP show, I don't think this site would be here. The Podcasts - GFW/1UPYOURS! were the best out there. It's a pity that the guys don't get back together, but aren't they on different sides of the country? 

Luke is a shadow of what he was - on the Bungie podcasts (he works there now) he seems really, really happy.....then again he was always a Halo fanboy. 

I think the dynamic will come over time - the initial 1up podcasts where horrendous.....
fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fjordson

I really enjoy Weekend Confirmed, mostly because of Garnett. I enjoy Jeff and Brian as well, but I feel like the discussions get too serious and meandering sometimes in the Warning segment. Every week it seems like they (especially Jeff) have come up with something that is the next big hurdle for the industry and that games are doomed if they don't overcome it. They're always wishing that games would do this better, or that games would move beyond that more. And Jeff is always proclaiming his love for "experiences" and how he gets just oh so tired of shooters and he just ends up sounding pretentious. Because of stuff like that I think it lacks the humour and genuine feeling of enjoyment regarding games that shows like the Bombcast has. The episode where they talked about crouching in shooters is a good example. They spent a long time on something that at the end of the day is really trivial.

Still love it, though. Del Rio's interludes that he makes are pretty funny (the soundboard-esque ones), though I'm not really as much a fan of the actual music tracks.

Also, for anyone who's a fan of stuff like the old 1UP Yours and GFW check out Out of the Game. It's not all that frequent (about once a month if we're lucky) but the cast is second-to-none: Shawn Elliot, Jeff Green, Robert Ashley and N'Gai Croal. Veers away from games at times, but it's consistently brilliant and hilarious.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By gunslingerNZ
@nickux: Love the music spots, love Jeff and Garnett of course but I'm beginning to really loathe Brian. He comes across as very blunt and arrogant and unwilling to discuss anything about gaming outside of his very narrow personal preferences. I'd really like to see him replaced by someone who actually adds to discussions. 

@Hamst3r said:
" If Brian Leahy is who was defending "ducking" and stating that a lot of gamers are overly-impatient when it comes to cutscenes - I'm on his side. "
Half correct. He was defending ducking (which was a pretty stupid discussion on Garnett's behalf in the first place) but it was Jeff who had the issue with people skipping cutscenes.
EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27  Edited By EnchantedEcho

I do when I run out of podcasts to listen to one week. I really like Garnett as a person and I think that Cannata is cool but, I too get annoyed at Leahy. I've been trying to listen to it more regularly lately it's hard to tolerate his whiney tone and complaints.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DeF

supermegaworm is sort of fun to say.

yes, I'm a listener and I like it a lot. I think garnett's voice calms me down while I'm sitting in a bus/train/tram :D

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EvilTwin

Not anymore.  If a podcast has one person that I can't stand listening to, it breaks it for me.  Let's just say that Weekend Confirmed has that.  Same thing with Rebel FM.  Stopped listening to both of them recently.

J0n3s1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By J0n3s1

Sometimes.. I listened it regularly when it started but then I moved to In This Thread and now i have gone back to Weekend Confirmed.. I like the show but Garnet just seems.. I don't know the right word for it in english or even in finnish but you guys know what I mean.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By penguindust

I'm there for Garnett Lee and I don't care who else is in the other two chairs.  After Shane Bettenhausen and John Davison left 1UP for other employment opportunities, I stopped caring about the others on the podcast which is why I think Garnett is such a stellar host.  For me at least, he can make people I don't give a rat's ass about seem interesting.  Weekend Confirmed is my favorite podcast (even above the beloved Bombcast) and I listened to it this morning.  The bright side is that Garnett sometimes gets good guests like Adam Sessler and other old 1UP writers.  So, even if you dislike one of the other guys, periodically, someone you do like can show up.  

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bhhawks78

Tried, can't stand Garnett honestly.  Dude creeps me the fuck out.

Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

I miss the glory days of 1up podcasts, and as such will always have a soft spot for Garnett. 
I had a tough time warming up to Brian, but he can add to the conversations just as well as anyone else. Also, the poor guy has the most classic "nerd" voice I've ever heard.
From time to time, they will get off topic and start having funny, non-game related conversations - and Garnett will always say something like "this is turning into the Bombcast....", and it comes off a dick-ish. 

Other than that, I listen to it. 
And I hate the music. I appreciate Del-Rio's skill with a mixer, but why does he inflect his voice to sound like he's from the streets?

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By ColinWright

I really fucking miss the old 1up. GFW Radio is still the greatest podcast ever. :( 

eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By eristocrat

2nd best gaming podcast on the net.  And Brain is probably my favorite part of it, he is willing to give his honest blunt opinions and consistenlty does a better job backing them up than Garnett or Jeff, plus he's funnier than they are too. 

Oh and Del Rio's stuff is really great.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By audiosnag

I really like it, and Brian seems the least whiney of any of them. He just has opinions and backs them up.
I can see Sony fanboys getting bitchy about the trophy/cheevos discussion but that was his opinion, he's allowed to hae them.
I think peope need to not get so worked up just cause someone they're listening to doesn't agree with them.
Jeff abd Garnett are cool too the only one who occasionally gets under my skin is Garnett.
Dude says some crazy stuff sometimes.
The music is pretty meh, I can count on one hand the number of songs I've liked but Del Rio's remixes of the guys conversations are great.

RaoulDo0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RaoulDo0k

I find that Brian Leahy is the only person on the podcast that doesn't commit the cardinal sin of trying to make Video Games into movies. At least it is a cardinal sin for me. 

EDIT: In other words he's one of the few people who get paid to write about and comment on video games that hasn't lost sight that in the end they're just video games.

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HubrisRanger

Brian Leahy  is definitely my least favorite member of the Weekend Confirmed regulars, if only because a lot of his comments come off as the annoying eltist "hardcore" gamer. He constantly uses a game's difficulty as  a barometer on how good it is, and he dismisses anything that streamlines or opens games up to a wider audience. Plus he constantly seems to brag on how baller he is at everything, which is just the worst sort of persona to give off.  

That said, Weekend Confirmed is my #2 gaming podcast right now. G.Lee's shows have always been about different perspectives offering various, sometimes heated debate on a topic. Yes, Garnett can come off as a bit of a man-child sometimes, and Leahy is a bit of a snob, and Jeff Canatta is a bit of a pie-in-the-sky optimist (though I find myself agreeing with him more than disagreeing with him), the show itself is usually a thoughtful round-up of that weeks news, games and offers a fresh perspective. And despite his 40-year-old frat boy mentality at times, Lee clearly has played and thought about games long enough to earn him the elder statesman role he's seemed to grown into. 

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By septim

I really do like the show. Major props to Garnett for his passionate defense of Bizarre against what Activision did to them.

They desperately need a regular fourth chair though. The times when they've had guests have been amazing.

Leahy can be a bit of a killjoy, and sometimes the discussions go up their asses. Overall it's a nice complement to the Bombcast. Not as nearly as funny, but arguably more informative.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#40  Edited By donutfever

Second favourite podcast. I don't have to tell you my first.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By mosespippy

Things I heavily agree with from Weekend Confirmed: 
1. PEOPLE ARE STUPID!!! 
2. People who skip cutscenes forfeit their right to complain about plot or not knowing what the objective is.
3. Supermegaworm is fun to say.

lemonhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lemonhail
I enjoy it. Leahy doesn't get under my skin in the least.

@audiosnag
said:
"The music is pretty meh, I can count on one hand the number of songs I've liked but Del Rio's remixes of the guys conversations are great. "  
That pretty much how i feel about the music as well.
DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DougQuaid
@seitanic said:
" Nope.  I liked 1up Yours, but it was definitely in spite of Garnett and not because of him. Dude has always bugged me.  "
This. 

As soon as the crew starting parting ways there really wasn't much of a reason to listen anymore.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By ProfessorEss

I enjoy it.
I find myself listening to it more and more regularly, it's almost slipped into my weekly lineup.

ihabeebit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ihabeebit

I signed up solely to post in this thread. Brian was the voice of the hardcore, and even more so, the pc gaming crowd. Given he is a console gamer as well but of the three he is the only defender for the old guard. Now seeing as the majority of you are not hardcore gamers/competitive gamers it makes sense reading your flame posts, you just don't understand the hardcore crowd that's fine, that's why you play on consoles. Brian will be missed, enjoy listening to kinect adventures confirmed.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By napalm
@ihabeebit: I typically don't agree with those sorts of opinions, but the reason why Weekend Confirmed works is first off, there is almost always a guest, and not everybody always agrees, so you have a lot of dynamic discussions about incredibly relevant topics, and Garnett does a fantastic job of reeling in the community to get them involved in the discussions. I love the Giant Bombcast, but it's dumb entertainment. You hardly get any interesting, point of views, and everybody always agrees with one another, so the Bombcast is great for comedy, but it is a pretty one dimensional podcast. 

In short, I listen to the Giant Bombcast for the comedic value and the jokes, but I listen to Weekend Confirmed when I want polarizing opinions and really interesting discussions from everybody involved, as well as a decent bit of comedy and jokes.
Warihay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By Warihay

I did because I loved 1up Yours and think Garnett is great but I haven't been listening lately. I don't really like Cannata and Leahy and when I do try and listen I have trouble making it through the whole show without getting bored and turning it off. Just not same without John and Shane.

shadyspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By shadyspace
@GhostlyKiller: Leahy's been gone for awhile. Cannata's amateur approach to the medium is still just as grating.
Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49  Edited By Jayross

It's the most "high-class" podcast I listen to. Whatever that means..

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MeierTheRed

Listen every week, and have been since it started.