Posted by Marmaladebrat (298 posts) -

This afternoon while at work I was bidding on the original Splatterhouse for the TurboGrafx-16, but I lost the auction. Just wondering does anyone else here on Giant Bomb but old games on eBay, or other sites or at Flea Markets?  And do you think it is unhealthy to be bidding while at work?

I recently got Bonk's Adventure and Bonk's Revenge for the TurboGrafx-16 and D2 for the Dreamcast on eBay. My girlfriend bought me ShenMue, ShenMue 2 and Crazy Taxi on eBay. And I found Strider for the Genesis at a Flea Market. 

Am I crazy, or are other people on Giant Bomb looking for old games too?
#1 Posted by Marmaladebrat (298 posts) -

This afternoon while at work I was bidding on the original Splatterhouse for the TurboGrafx-16, but I lost the auction. Just wondering does anyone else here on Giant Bomb but old games on eBay, or other sites or at Flea Markets?  And do you think it is unhealthy to be bidding while at work?

I recently got Bonk's Adventure and Bonk's Revenge for the TurboGrafx-16 and D2 for the Dreamcast on eBay. My girlfriend bought me ShenMue, ShenMue 2 and Crazy Taxi on eBay. And I found Strider for the Genesis at a Flea Market. 

Am I crazy, or are other people on Giant Bomb looking for old games too?
#2 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

...why do you write Shenmue like that...?

I go to an undeground site where people trade games, it's safer and their home HQ is in NYC so I can over go there physically if need be.

#3 Posted by JB16 (745 posts) -

I kind of don't trust ebay, I go to amazon instead.

#4 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I once bought a copy of F-Zero X and when it arrived, it had just been put in an envelope on its own and was smashed to pieces. Never again.

#5 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

I do, I generally bid on NES and Genesis carts. They're cheap and it's very rare that they don't work at all so it's not much of a risk. I just go by feedback and so far I've never had a problem with Ebay sellers.

#6 Posted by Marmaladebrat (298 posts) -
@KaosAngel:
Not sure why i write it like that. I always thought it was two words before it came out. And then it ended up just being one word. Just silly on my part. But yes, it is actually Shenmue. 

Do you mind sharing about the site or group where you tarde games? I am in NYC too, but I buy my old games online at Flea Markets, and new things on Amazon or at Best Buy.
#7 Posted by Marmaladebrat (298 posts) -
@HandsomeDead:
I've had stuff like that happen to me too, so now I am that annoying eBay customer with lots of questions. Is this game for the US region? Does the game come in its original packaging? and so on.
#8 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -

i buy and sell. i dont collect games so when i am done i sell em. i keep some of the multiplay ones to beat on my group of buddies online. done it for a long time. never a problem sept maybe once in a while a slow shipper lol. 

#9 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

I don't buy particularly old games off of eBay, but that's how I got my copy of Okami.

Never again, though.  Too stressful.

#10 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

Yep, buy and sell games one ebay all the time and I've made a small profit from it which is fine because it basically means loads of games are costing me nothing to play.  Don't stockpile games, I've got tons of crap I should have shifted years ago and are now worth nothing, but that's mostly pc games.  Got loads of Snes, N64, etc but half the time they just aren't things that you know will fly and I like selling as Buy It Now.  Got an immaculate complete version of Symphony of the Night that I should get around to selling before it suddenly becomes worthless.

#11 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

I got Primal Rage off of Ebay.

#12 Posted by ToadRunner (277 posts) -

I do all the time, just make sure not to buy from hong kong.

hong kong is all bootleg garbage

#13 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

I buy some NES and SNES cartridges and I occasionally buy an PS1 game.

#14 Edited by Pazy (2592 posts) -

I have bought a lot of Sega Saturn games from Ebay (amongst other places). Ive also bought some N64 and PS1 games among more modern consoles like PS2 era etc.

#15 Posted by tentkaylor (13 posts) -

I bought KOTOR off of Ebay. Never played it when it was initially released. Awesome game.

#16 Posted by EightBitShik (1339 posts) -

@tentkaylor: The person who posted this lost his fingers a year and six months ago he can only type with his tongue now so it might take him awhile to respond.

#17 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

I used to get hard to find games off ebay years ago, especially for the Dreamcast, like Fire ProWrestling D, Bangai-O! and Capcom vs SNK: Millenium Fight 2000. I also got a sealed copy of Majora's Mask for the N64 for a buddy of mine. But this is years ago. I did try my hand at a few auctions for Killer7 on the GameCube earlier this year, but lost those ones.

Ever since Play.com started their ebay-esque service besides their usual one, I've used that waaaaaaaaaaay more.