#1 Posted by TechHits (1384 posts) -

I found my dog doing this today:

I've never seen her do this before and I thought it was so weird. You can't see it in the video but her eyes where also half open and darting back and forth. I was just wondering if this is like a relatively common thing, I thought it was so funny, she started barking so loud I thought she would wake herself up!.

#2 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Yeah man of course.

#3 Posted by devotfeige (116 posts) -

I caught my cat growling in his sleep, once. Running/biting in his sleep is pretty standard, but hearing him growling really surprised me.

#4 Posted by cloudymusic (1158 posts) -

I have seen dogs do this all the time.

#5 Posted by SuperTess (142 posts) -

Sometimes one of my dogs will howl in her sleep, which is kind of funny and eerie at the same time.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I have a dog?

#7 Posted by mlarrabee (2990 posts) -

My dog's dead.

You dogful people are all jerks for bringing it up.

#8 Posted by SMTDante89 (2596 posts) -

My dog ran in his sleep pretty often as a puppy, and I saw him do it once fairly recently. As for barking in his sleep, not that I know of, though he has scored a few times which was kind of cute (yeah I said cute, he's a Pomeranian for goodness sake)

#9 Edited by Mr. Kamikaze (107 posts) -

My dog doesn't actually bark, he like...whines, almost and twitches. He does it all the time, like he's having a nightmare or something. It's weird and amusing.

My cat growls, but its so low you can't hear it unless you're up close.

It's all normal as far as I know...they haven't died yet, or spun their heads around and tried to eat me.

#10 Posted by Silver-Streak (1368 posts) -

Yes, but it's not really barks. Both of them kind of half bark whimper. Kind of the woof without the w. Always adorable.

#11 Posted by benspyda (2038 posts) -

Yea she often barks and moves in her sleep. Often its when I'm watching a movie and some of the sound effects seem to elicit a response while she's dreaming.

#12 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Oh yeah. I've seen my family's dogs do that a lot. Probably dreaming of chasing after that asshole garbage truck.

#13 Posted by DizzyMedal (399 posts) -

Both of my dogs do it occasionally. It's adorable.

#14 Edited by benpicko (2010 posts) -

My cat did that when it died yesterday ;_;

#15 Posted by Itwongo (1215 posts) -

yup

#16 Posted by MocBucket62 (1244 posts) -

Yes. He'll bark, whimper and move his legs around. I think it's pretty funny, even though the poor guy might have a nightmare.

#17 Edited by myketuna (1723 posts) -

My dogs both do it. It's interesting. Sometimes I'll say "No. Hey, stop." Not yelling or anything, but kind of enough that it's firm and they don't wake up. And sometimes they stop doing it. But it's probably all coincidence.

#18 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1407 posts) -

Lol my dog does it allll the time :P I love it

#19 Edited by DonutFever (3553 posts) -

Sleep-runs all the time.

#20 Posted by Stonyman65 (2751 posts) -

My dog howls sometimes. It's actually kind of funny the sounds he makes. Kinda like "ruh ruh raOOOOO ruh ruh roooaoooaaa" and then kind of ends in a mumble. I was laughing my ass off the other night when he did it.

He doesn't do it often at all really. Maybe once or twice a year (at least from what I've heard). He's a weird ass dog. I swear, when we adopt pets they are normal - a year into it the go full retard. Screwballs, every last one of them.

#21 Edited by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

I was expecting to see something like this:

#22 Posted by wupinstick (2 posts) -

Yep my dog does the exact same thing. It's hard not to laugh

#23 Edited by Kevin_Cogneto (1094 posts) -

@myketuna said:

My dogs both do it. It's interesting. Sometimes I'll say "No. Hey, stop." Not yelling or anything, but kind of enough that it's firm and they don't wake up. And sometimes they stop doing it. But it's probably all coincidence.

Be sure not to get any firmer than that -- it's not a good idea to wake a dog when they're dreaming like that (hence the expression "let sleeping dogs lie", I suppose). I once saw my parents' dog clearly having a nightmare, he was alternatively whining and growling and seemed like he was in genuine distress. So I felt bad for him and tried to wake him from his nightmare, but when he awoke he was completely disoriented, didn't seem to understand that he was waking from a dream, and so he bit the holy hell out of my arm. And this is a dog that otherwise wouldn't hurt a soul.

#24 Posted by Franstone (1134 posts) -

Puppy dreams...
Hilarious
My dog does this all the time.

#25 Posted by Intro (1208 posts) -

My Shih Tzu does that a lot lol.

#26 Posted by kerse (2116 posts) -

My beagle does it all the time lol, its funny.

#27 Posted by myketuna (1723 posts) -

@myketuna said:

Be sure not to get any firmer than that -- it's not a good idea to wake a dog when they're dreaming like that (hence the expression "let sleeping dogs lie", I suppose). I once saw my parents' dog clearly having a nightmare, he was alternatively whining and growling and seemed like he was in genuine distress. So I felt bad for him and tried to wake him from his nightmare, but when he awoke he was completely disoriented, didn't seem to understand that he was waking from a dream, and so he bit the holy hell out of my arm. And this is a dog that otherwise wouldn't hurt a soul.

I've actually woken up my dogs from their dreams when I feel they're in a nightmare. But I'll usually just whistle (they know my whistle). I've never shaken them up or anything. I figure that might trigger something.

#28 Edited by Strife777 (1604 posts) -

All the time. He doesn't move much, sometimes a little leg twitch, but mostly whines/howls. I'm always wondering what he's dreaming about, hopefully not nightmares.

My cat though, he sometimes twitches like crazy and will start growling.