Doesn't Studying For Tests Suck?

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By gla55jAw

I can never force myself to do it anytime other than cramming the night before.

I should have been studying for my Gen Bio test thats on Wed. tonight but I just couldn't for the life of me. Expecially since I can use a cheat sheet (what kind of college professor lets you use a cheat sheet?).

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoelTGM

heh, well yeah, of course you can't bring yourself to study when you don't give a crap about what you're studying.  gotta jump through those hoops.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By fr0br0

Doesn't failing a test suck more?

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gla55jAw
DOUBLESHOCK said:
"heh, well yeah, of course you can't bring yourself to study when you don't give a crap about what you're studying.  gotta jump through those hoops.
"

Yeah I know, I hate those damn required prerequisites.
gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gla55jAw
Fr0Br0 said:
"Doesn't failing a test suck more?
"

Yeah, yeah. I'll stop complaining and start studying lol. I'll post what I got on the test.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I don't think it sucks so much. Like Fr0Br0 pointed out, I'd much rather study than fail. Also, dude, I never study until the day before and I've always been pretty much a straight-A student.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

The way I study for a teat is I drink energy drinks; it keeps my ass up;but, those energy drinks make me piss a lot.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By StaticFalconar
gla55jAw said:
"DOUBLESHOCK said:
"heh, well yeah, of course you can't bring yourself to study when you don't give a crap about what you're studying.  gotta jump through those hoops.
"

Yeah I know, I hate those damn required prerequisites."
Well eventually one of 3 things will happen:

1) eventually the class will be too hard to study overnight and you just fail out
2) eventually the advanced classes you take will require that you know about the prereq stuff which you are screwed since you never really learned that.
3). You find out in your 3rd year after all the prereq shit that your major isn't what you wanted to do since you would have developed an interest for the subject and devleoped a study habit now if you were interested.

Or, you just start finding the classes interesting enough for you to want to study.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ArchScabby

no, tests suck.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By oldschool
TheGreatGuero said:
"I don't think it sucks so much. Like Fr0Br0 pointed out, I'd much rather study than fail. Also, dude, I never study until the day before and I've always been pretty much a straight-A student.
"
I was a cram the day before guy, and like you, aced the tests.  

The one thing I did like doing was reading all of the important pieces of information onto a recording device and then play that back repeatedly, including whilst I slept.  What I did find though was that playing it back appeared unnecessary as the act of reading it out to the recorder was sufficient reinforcement for me to remember.  Studying days away was useless as the information was no longer fresh and likely to be patchy.  It worked for me - I never failed a test.

Good luck to anyone taking a test.
Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Marzy
oldschool said:
"TheGreatGuero said:
"I don't think it sucks so much. Like Fr0Br0 pointed out, I'd much rather study than fail. Also, dude, I never study until the day before and I've always been pretty much a straight-A student.
"
I was a cram the day before guy, and like you, aced the tests.  

The one thing I did like doing was reading all of the important pieces of information onto a recording device and then play that back repeatedly, including whilst I slept.  What I did find though was that playing it back appeared unnecessary as the act of reading it out to the recorder was sufficient reinforcement for me to remember.  Studying days away was useless as the information was no longer fresh and likely to be patchy.  It worked for me - I never failed a test.

Good luck to anyone taking a test.
"

Thanks for that info Oldschool, I may give that a try myself. : )
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By c1337us

I have done the same thing as oldschool as well and its a pretty good technique. But I dont think it substitutes for regular study.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Karmum

I don't study for tests, and still get pretty good grades. I am in High School, of course, so this really doesn't matter. This "no study" since I can remember won't last much longer, though.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gla55jAw
StaticFalconar said:
"gla55jAw said:
"DOUBLESHOCK said:
"

Yeah I know, I hate those damn required prerequisites."
Well eventually one of 3 things will happen:

1) eventually the class will be too hard to study overnight and you just fail out
2) eventually the advanced classes you take will require that you know about the prereq stuff which you are screwed since you never really learned that.
3). You find out in your 3rd year after all the prereq shit that your major isn't what you wanted to do since you would have developed an interest for the subject and devleoped a study habit now if you were interested.

Or, you just start finding the classes interesting enough for you to want to study.
"

This is the only Bio class I will have to take because my major includes Criminal Justice classes, Computer Networking and Computer Forensics and the only reason I have to take it now is because during my time at community college for my Associates, I took Astronomy classes.

I usually do fine with Bs or As cramming the night before, but I'm trying to get into a better study habbit. Like everyone said, it's a lot easier to do with classes you enjoy/care about. Although this Bio class isn't that bad (learning about the environment and life is cool, I could just care less about cell structure.)
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Black_Rose

It does suck, however it usually takes me a single read to understand something, though I don't completely memorize it.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By StaticFalconar
gla55jAw said:

This is the only Bio class I will have to take because my major includes Criminal Justice classes, Computer Networking and Computer Forensics and the only reason I have to take it now is because during my time at community college for my Associates, I took Astronomy classes.

I usually do fine with Bs or As cramming the night before, but I'm trying to get into a better study habbit. Like everyone said, it's a lot easier to do with classes you enjoy/care about. Although this Bio class isn't that bad (learning about the environment and life is cool, I could just care less about cell structure.)
"
Yeah I can feel that, but speaking as someone that has a degree in the sciences, you wouldn't believe how many times the stuff you don't care about pops up as being important down the line, (The job you want may not always be the job you have or at least not at first); just fair warning.....
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hexpane
gla55jAw said:
 t (what kind of college professor lets you use a cheat sheet?)."
The kind that exists in 2009 that is under administration pressure to inflate grades.  Parents and people who donate to places like Harvard etc.. have basically become lobbyists.  Back in the old days you could flunk out of harvard.  Now,everyone gets a B or an A  because of the $$$ pressure.

Grade inflation has also reached high schools.  Getting a 4.0 in 2009 is the equivalent of getting a 2.7 in 1995.  Various studies have demonstrated this rampant grade inflation.  Essentially if you can buy your way into an elite school, you too could be the next George W. Bush.  A dumb guy w/ degrees from great schools
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead

Exams were the only period I really enjoyed in school and University. It's the only time when it feels like things matter and the tension, particularly waiting before an exam, was amazing.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RetroIce4

Of course it does. Always will for the rest of my life. Man I gotta get off GiantBomb.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By crunchUK

studyinig is 4 noobs

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Wolverine

Yes it really does suck and I think I would actually learn more if I was not pressured to preform well on tests.