Don't Touch The Sides!

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By The_A_Drain

I don't normally blog about my personal life, it's just not something I do. However, tommorow is a rather different occasion.

I am going into hospital to have an operation, it's only a small one mind, really very minor, but I have a phobia of needles, so the local aneasthetic is likely to be the worst part of the whole event for me, i'm literally going to freak out, I was stressing over it so much yesterday that I erupted into the worst stress induced stomach ache of my entire life (you know, the horrible ones with the sulpher belches and everything gets worse from there)

So anyways, i'll be around but forgive me in advance if i'm not myself the next few days, although if I get my way, i'll be right back home (like I said, the op itself really is very minor they aren't keeping me in hospital, but I freak out about medical procedures) and relaxing by playing Duke 3D, and I might even treat myself to something new, maybe Castle Crashers or the Outrun remake.

Anyhows, wish me luck :D I'll probably be a little hepped up when I return so if I start posting anything completely illegible, just point and laugh and i'm sure i'll leave you a venomous comment when I return to my normal self :)

Peace out.

UPDATE:

It's over and done with! Well, some of it lol.

As I said before it's only such a minor operation that I really have no right to complain, but i'm going to. It freaked me the fuck out so much I nearly puked on the operating table, and after they removed the first lump and stitched me up, I asked them not to continue with the second one, and they stopped the operation. (I think I offended the surgeon, but the guy was a complete prick throughout the entire process, and obviously had never heard of bedside manner, and flat out insulted me several times during the whole process) I don't care what the surgeon said, telling me I could feel nothing didn't alleviate the fact I could indeed feel some things. Perhaps the aneasthetic was not working as it should have, perhaps it's area of effect was too small, whatever, all I know is it was fucking horrible, I went from feeling nothing in some areas, to intense pain right next to it. But it's over and done with now and once it's healed I will be able to sit in a chair without excruciating back pain.

Hooray! :D Minirant over and done with, by all standards it probably went quite well, my opinion is obviously skewed being the one on the table nervous as all hell and with a dodgy stomach that morning to boot. In short i'm back! :D

I'm sure (in fact, I know) plenty of other people have been through things much worse than this and complained probably far less, but i'm not as strong as those people :) Medical procedures scare me lol, and this experience didn't change that.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By The_A_Drain

I don't normally blog about my personal life, it's just not something I do. However, tommorow is a rather different occasion.

I am going into hospital to have an operation, it's only a small one mind, really very minor, but I have a phobia of needles, so the local aneasthetic is likely to be the worst part of the whole event for me, i'm literally going to freak out, I was stressing over it so much yesterday that I erupted into the worst stress induced stomach ache of my entire life (you know, the horrible ones with the sulpher belches and everything gets worse from there)

So anyways, i'll be around but forgive me in advance if i'm not myself the next few days, although if I get my way, i'll be right back home (like I said, the op itself really is very minor they aren't keeping me in hospital, but I freak out about medical procedures) and relaxing by playing Duke 3D, and I might even treat myself to something new, maybe Castle Crashers or the Outrun remake.

Anyhows, wish me luck :D I'll probably be a little hepped up when I return so if I start posting anything completely illegible, just point and laugh and i'm sure i'll leave you a venomous comment when I return to my normal self :)

Peace out.

UPDATE:

It's over and done with! Well, some of it lol.

As I said before it's only such a minor operation that I really have no right to complain, but i'm going to. It freaked me the fuck out so much I nearly puked on the operating table, and after they removed the first lump and stitched me up, I asked them not to continue with the second one, and they stopped the operation. (I think I offended the surgeon, but the guy was a complete prick throughout the entire process, and obviously had never heard of bedside manner, and flat out insulted me several times during the whole process) I don't care what the surgeon said, telling me I could feel nothing didn't alleviate the fact I could indeed feel some things. Perhaps the aneasthetic was not working as it should have, perhaps it's area of effect was too small, whatever, all I know is it was fucking horrible, I went from feeling nothing in some areas, to intense pain right next to it. But it's over and done with now and once it's healed I will be able to sit in a chair without excruciating back pain.

Hooray! :D Minirant over and done with, by all standards it probably went quite well, my opinion is obviously skewed being the one on the table nervous as all hell and with a dodgy stomach that morning to boot. In short i'm back! :D

I'm sure (in fact, I know) plenty of other people have been through things much worse than this and complained probably far less, but i'm not as strong as those people :) Medical procedures scare me lol, and this experience didn't change that.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty

fear of needles? I used to fear them; all I can say is just look away and calm down.

Good luck and have fun going under the knife; if you should perish your good posts shall be missed =(
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_A_Drain

Haha, there's no danger of that, it really is such a small operation that I could do it at home with a kitchen knife and there'd be little danger of death (although it is close to my spine)

I'd lie back and think of England, but i'm no patriot, i'm a gamer! So i'll be thinking of Street Fighter :P

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ahriman22

Anesthetic is administered via the lungs, not through the veins, so you're all good there. Now the stitches...

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_A_Drain
@ahriman22:

Nah, local aneasthetic is two injections ;_; general is where they put you to sleep.
tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By tekmojo

While you are out, try to think of a picture for your avatar. Just playing, hope it goes well.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ahriman22
@The_A_Drain: Oh, missed the local part... DOH!
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By DanielJW

Good luck man. I can't really give any advice on the needles, I've only been given general aneasthetic before, but I guess don't look is probably a good. Besides you want have much time to panic after the needle you'll be fast asleep and happyyyyyyyy. 

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_A_Drain
@DanielJW:

Local your awake for the whole thing :D hehe
Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Good luck with the operation man, I wish you the best. 

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By Suicrat

Yeah, I had surgery earlier this year. It wasn't fun, they did a spinal injection as well as this really weird stint system that caused me to use craploads of blood. I was 'awake' during surgery but I couldn't see or feel what was going on (thank goodness for that because they cut open my ankle to put a metal apparatus inside), but afterwards I became so cold that my heart rate started to drop rapidly (though, medically speaking I might be putting the cart before the horse). I almost had a heart attack and I'm 23! Not that I'm the healthiest person in the world, but still... it was kinda weird.

Anyways, didn't mean to scare ya or nothin', A_D, just... uh, well, don't agree to participate in any sort of experimental anaesthetic delivery system.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By teh_destroyer

Me having Diabetes, I am not allowed to have a fear for needles 0.o

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Suicrat:  Haha, don't worry, the fact you said you can't see or feel anything is music to my ears (eyes? O_o) as that is something I do not want, to feel someone poking around inside me lol.

@teh_destroyer: You have my sympathy man, Diabetics (well some, not all, I think) need daily, if not twice daily injections don't they? :S
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Suicrat
@The_A_Drain: That's the one thing I don't get about heterosexual females.

You know what I mean? It's like, thanks for the sex and all, but... whatever, I'm not going to finish that thought, don't want to get banned.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Ineedaname

You got an avatar, (Y).

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_A_Drain
@dcpc10:

Thanks for the advice dude, fortunately I don't faint, I just freak out, it'll be fine i'm sure lol, not having had an injection in years is probably making this tons worse than it actually is :P

I remember I never got my tuburculosis innoculation, the one with 6 needles at once lol. I ran out of the school and didnt go back until the week everyone was having it done was over lol.
m_rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By m_rum

I got a mole removed once near my ear. It wasn't the anaesthetic shots but the feeling of knife cutting you while not feeling the pain. Ugh.

J/K it wasn't that bad. Bit gross though. GL with the operation!

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DanielJW
@The_A_Drain: That sounds horrifying.
tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tekmojo

Nice avatar!

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By gingertastic_10

I hate needles to. When I had a operation last summer, the nurse needed to put a iv in. She missed like three times. My hand swelled and turned brown. Grrr. Plus I had to get poked with a needle three times.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_A_Drain
@tekmojo:

Figured it would please you :)

@gingertastic_10: 
Uggh god, ouch. That sucks.
nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By nanikore

Atleast you're not getting a needle through your foot.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Tylea002
@The_A_Drain: Good luck dude! (nice to see a thread we are in agreement, you've become my GB debating nemesis) I broke my arm REALLY BADLY. It was an S bend. And refused to have needles to go under anasthetic. I've got to have mad teeth/braces/things later in the year with needles whilst being awake. I'm so shit scared, I'll probably get enraged and ask for a general. Generals are great, you go under, then its done! No needles, just sweet sweet breathing.

Anyway, that paragraph was a jumbled mess. To summarise: I hate needles too, good luck.
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By ImperiousRix

Good luck with the operation and here's to a speedy recovery.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Tylea002:  Nemesis? Wow :D That's a first for me, hehe. 

That sucks about the arm dude, I'm so fucking lucky (touch wood a million times!) i've never broken a bone. That sucks about the teeth braces, I had to have regular braces and unfortunately I didnt wear the retainer well enough and now my jaw is beyond fucked :( So if you need to wear a retainer a the end of it, for the love of god do it!! Do it or you'll never eat properly ever again.

Now, like any good nemesis i'm gonna go back to lurking, until I see a post by you, then i'm going to jump out for a surprise debate! Haha i'm only kidding... Or am I? *creepy music*
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#26  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Hope everything goes well for you.  I'll keep good thoughts going.  Give us an update when you can.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_A_Drain

I'm back, it's done, and in a day or so I should be feeling great :D

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Suicrat

Congrats on surviving your operation! Surgery is a freaky thing

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bigandtasty
@The_A_Drain: I think I can safely say I have outdone your avatar. Just look at that background. It screams "BIFF" and "POW".
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Bigandtasty:

I like owls :)
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Linkyshinks

I would have got lightly stoned, alongside having a local anesthetic and Nytox, that's what I did when I had a cyst removed from my eyelid when I was a teenager,

If it was removal of a abscess in subcontainious fat it shouldn't have needed to take very long, but if you found it too traumatic, I do understand. Medical phobia's can be quite severe in some people, but when that's the case a good reassuring doctor is what you deserve. You should have made the surgeon fully aware of the severity of your fears, or implied a phobia. He may have reacted better and informed you of techniques that would have helped with blocking out thoughts and pain.

To be fair though, if it was on your back, it's very difficult to avoid a patient feeling pain and discomfort, limbs can be numbed far easier than one's back. I know given my back issues right now : / (strain) There a ton of nerve ending surround the spinal cord, which is why some back pain is said to be as bad as child birth. Even minor procedure's in that region can be very painful.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Linkyshinks:

That's reassuring to know that I wasn't just being a total pussy :P But yeah, the surgeon was pretty uncaring about what I had to say about anything, so I just tried to get on with it, it was unpleasent but it's done now and in a few days it'll be awesome, stitches removed friday, then partying down saturday on my birthday :D

It was only a small lipoma (that's what they called it, apparently it's just hard fatty tissue, like gristle or whatever I guess) about 2.5 inches wide by 1 inch high, maybe 3 inches from my spine, so not really that close. I think it was mostly the dick surgeon the made the experience bad. Everyone else was really nice and reassuring.

I don't envy you having to have surgury on your eyelid though. I've had some mild back strain/pain/etc from lifting improperly at work when I was at B&Q, and it can be pretty debilitating sometimes, hope you get well soon :)
AzureSupernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AzureSupernova

Needles aren't fun, but at least the surgery was a success... and yeah, I had my fair share of encounters with pricks who didn't believe that when they jabbed a needle into my pelvis that I actually could feel six inchest of hypodermic-ness in my muscle xD