DOOM-Review

bonesaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 11

Edited By bonesaw

Its hard to know where to begin with a film like Doom.  I mean from the outset I knew this movie wasn't really going to be that spectacular, but still I didn't expect this film to follow in the footsteps of Uwe Boll, a German film director who has done countless video game to movie translation, and all of them have resulted in not just worst media to media transitions, but are simply some of the worst films i've ever seen.  While Doom is not as bad as some of those disgraceful pieces of motion pictures, it still is in a word bad.

The problems do really start from the beginning with the predictable story-line of aliens from Mars (of all places) infecting and turning archaeological scientist into blood thirsty killing machines.  If the only the movie stuck to the actual story, which instead has the the actual threat of demons from hell which are brought into our world via an ancient arc which the scientist actually open.  While this story isn't necessarily as good or better than the one that took its place, it would have given the movie some credibility since its main objective is to capture the feel of the video game, which causes the movie to contradict itself at time and makes the film slightly convoluted and hard to follow if your familiar with the games that it is based on.  The "aliens" are for the most part portrayed quite poorly, with either stiff anamatromics or crappy CG conveying there forms into something that should scare you but ultimately actually kind of annoy of a.) how poorly each creature looks and b.) how poorly executed each of the intense scenes are.  I don't really know how to describe it other than that each time a monster popped out, it just felt like it was the wrong time in that there wasn't enough suspense built up before the initial "scare".  As a result, the movie fails in its attempts at being an action/horror film, and should be instead categorized under simply action, because as it stands now, there are simply no scares to be had throughout this film.
    As for acting, well... at its best its pretty sub par with screams and jumps coming out in appropriate places helps to somewhat engage you, but in the end most of these attempts almost feel forced instead of being full on screams of anguish.  At its worse, the acting is absolutely atrocious with each character seemingly as robotic and unemotional as the rest.  Sure each individual army meat head has a slightly different personality from another, but even with this, its all personalities we've seen countless times before.  There's the head honcho and supposed bad ass known simply as Sarge (The Rock), who as a leader simply tells everyone to "fucking do this" and "fucking do that" and after a while it starts to wear thin and frankly will grit on your nerves until the very end.  Then there is the sarcastic asshole, who does have a couple of amusing lines here and there, but like the rest of dialogue, its usually either poorly written or executed awkwardly by the actors.  Also, there is the big burly black man who carries a large mini gun, seemingly the most badass of the crew(at first anyway.)  I could go on for a while on the other "unique" personalities, but chances are, you've already guessed the rest of them.
    In attempt to save the movie from its mediocre main story-line, the directors saw it fit to through in a side conflict between the noble and modest marine John Grimm(Karl Urban), and his sister Samantha Grimm (Rosamund Pike).  Usually these scenes come off as either awkward or simply unnecessary in overall spectrum of the film, and as a whole simply doesn't progress the story in any meaningful way.  However, i sort of admire the attempt to take the bite out of the predictable story line that spans the almost two hour film.  But, unfortunately, this side conflict isn't successful and at times makes the film even more unbearable to watch, if for no other reason other than the two actors are probably the most unbelievable actors throughout the film (besides The Rock of course).
    The only real saving grace this movie really has is the first person action sequence which comes in at about the last 20 minutes of the film.  While it does an adequate job of putting in the shoes of the lone marine, its unfortunately to little to late as by the point you'll been annoyed and frustrated with everything else this movie has to offer that this little slice of heaven probably won't even phase you.  However, even this short scene has its problems, with the camera making such erratic spins at times that it can slightly confusing of what's going on around the main character.
    In the end, this is another, poorly executed and portrayed movie based on a video game.  Sure its not as bad as some of the others out there (cough Bloodrayne cough), but really in the grand scheme of things that isn't saying much.  Overall, the movie provides a few moments of promise and excitement, but ends up falling flat on its face, thanks to a mediocre and uninteresting story, and a dreadful acting by all of the characters.  So, unless your in the mood for a bad excuse of film to laugh and poke fun at, Doom is simply a unexciting ride that isn't worth your time even if your a die-hard fan of the DOOM series.
2.0/5.0
i think i was supposed to be scared at this point...
bonesaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By bonesaw

Its hard to know where to begin with a film like Doom.  I mean from the outset I knew this movie wasn't really going to be that spectacular, but still I didn't expect this film to follow in the footsteps of Uwe Boll, a German film director who has done countless video game to movie translation, and all of them have resulted in not just worst media to media transitions, but are simply some of the worst films i've ever seen.  While Doom is not as bad as some of those disgraceful pieces of motion pictures, it still is in a word bad.

The problems do really start from the beginning with the predictable story-line of aliens from Mars (of all places) infecting and turning archaeological scientist into blood thirsty killing machines.  If the only the movie stuck to the actual story, which instead has the the actual threat of demons from hell which are brought into our world via an ancient arc which the scientist actually open.  While this story isn't necessarily as good or better than the one that took its place, it would have given the movie some credibility since its main objective is to capture the feel of the video game, which causes the movie to contradict itself at time and makes the film slightly convoluted and hard to follow if your familiar with the games that it is based on.  The "aliens" are for the most part portrayed quite poorly, with either stiff anamatromics or crappy CG conveying there forms into something that should scare you but ultimately actually kind of annoy of a.) how poorly each creature looks and b.) how poorly executed each of the intense scenes are.  I don't really know how to describe it other than that each time a monster popped out, it just felt like it was the wrong time in that there wasn't enough suspense built up before the initial "scare".  As a result, the movie fails in its attempts at being an action/horror film, and should be instead categorized under simply action, because as it stands now, there are simply no scares to be had throughout this film.
    As for acting, well... at its best its pretty sub par with screams and jumps coming out in appropriate places helps to somewhat engage you, but in the end most of these attempts almost feel forced instead of being full on screams of anguish.  At its worse, the acting is absolutely atrocious with each character seemingly as robotic and unemotional as the rest.  Sure each individual army meat head has a slightly different personality from another, but even with this, its all personalities we've seen countless times before.  There's the head honcho and supposed bad ass known simply as Sarge (The Rock), who as a leader simply tells everyone to "fucking do this" and "fucking do that" and after a while it starts to wear thin and frankly will grit on your nerves until the very end.  Then there is the sarcastic asshole, who does have a couple of amusing lines here and there, but like the rest of dialogue, its usually either poorly written or executed awkwardly by the actors.  Also, there is the big burly black man who carries a large mini gun, seemingly the most badass of the crew(at first anyway.)  I could go on for a while on the other "unique" personalities, but chances are, you've already guessed the rest of them.
    In attempt to save the movie from its mediocre main story-line, the directors saw it fit to through in a side conflict between the noble and modest marine John Grimm(Karl Urban), and his sister Samantha Grimm (Rosamund Pike).  Usually these scenes come off as either awkward or simply unnecessary in overall spectrum of the film, and as a whole simply doesn't progress the story in any meaningful way.  However, i sort of admire the attempt to take the bite out of the predictable story line that spans the almost two hour film.  But, unfortunately, this side conflict isn't successful and at times makes the film even more unbearable to watch, if for no other reason other than the two actors are probably the most unbelievable actors throughout the film (besides The Rock of course).
    The only real saving grace this movie really has is the first person action sequence which comes in at about the last 20 minutes of the film.  While it does an adequate job of putting in the shoes of the lone marine, its unfortunately to little to late as by the point you'll been annoyed and frustrated with everything else this movie has to offer that this little slice of heaven probably won't even phase you.  However, even this short scene has its problems, with the camera making such erratic spins at times that it can slightly confusing of what's going on around the main character.
    In the end, this is another, poorly executed and portrayed movie based on a video game.  Sure its not as bad as some of the others out there (cough Bloodrayne cough), but really in the grand scheme of things that isn't saying much.  Overall, the movie provides a few moments of promise and excitement, but ends up falling flat on its face, thanks to a mediocre and uninteresting story, and a dreadful acting by all of the characters.  So, unless your in the mood for a bad excuse of film to laugh and poke fun at, Doom is simply a unexciting ride that isn't worth your time even if your a die-hard fan of the DOOM series.
2.0/5.0
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

Doom *high-pitched voice* SUUUCKED!

Yessiree, that was one huge piece of crap of a movie, if you want to call it that.