• 62 results
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Andorski

Here's the poster of the season finale, awesomely titled "The Name of the Doctor". I put it in spoiler tags since a recurring actor's name is billed on it and would give away a character cameo appearance.

No Caption Provided

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@andorski: Wow that's big, even bigger in who'verse if they actually do spill the beans from what the title of this episode entails. They've fiddled with giving away the Doctor's name before so I'd bet they'll do a tease or something similar. If they do give the Doctor a name, it would feel like they'd have to return or resurrect the whole Time Lords storyline again.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

@andorski: It is really unfortunate that they've overused that character to death. I really loved them in their initial appearances, but they kept hammering away at the supposed awesomness of the character and making them out to be ultra important, that it almost seems like the actor in question has something on the producers, or Moffat is infatuated with them.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Andorski

@eujin said:

@andorski: It is really unfortunate that they've overused that character to death. I really loved them in their initial appearances, but they kept hammering away at the supposed awesomness of the character and making them out to be ultra important, that it almost seems like the actor in question has something on the producers, or Moffat is infatuated with them.

It's all due to Moffat's continual strive - and failure - to make an awesome female character. She was great initially because there was so much mystery to her. After series 6 her entire story was completely laid out; everything you could know about River was shown. I don't mind an initial cameo appearance every once in a while throughout Matt Smith's run though, so long as they are far and few in between.

Moffat seems to be doing a better job with Clara. Since she became a main companion he has toned down her sexual advances to the Doctor and has given the character some complexity. She has her moments of bravery like all other companions, but is also willing to admit when she is afraid. If she starts to call out the doctor on his shit every once in a while, we might have the best companion yet.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

One of the things I've wanted the writers to do for quite awhile is instead of another story arc with Daleks or Cybermen or even Weeping Angels, I want them to bring back the Time Lords to hunt down the Doctor. Doing a modern take on Rani or even Monk could be a lot of fun with a dash of Master floating around.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Whoa just finished watching the season finale "Name of the Doctor" and will hide spoilers since it just finished airing a few minutes ago.

To start off I enjoyed the endings big reveal but the entire episode as a whole was underwhelming. I guess its my fault for hyping myself up with all the promo pics, trailers and interviews that I watched this entire week. I mean wouldn't you be psyched with the possibility of seeing how Clara's connected to all of the Doctor's past selves? Man they really skimmed by it super fast and answered the question of Clara that it just left a super bad taste in my mouth. I can kinda see why people kinda hate Moffat now as he tends to wrap every plotline for a story in a nice and tighty bow at the end. He literally answered one big question and then replaces that with another question while not answering the big question that's in the title. I understand that the title had some deep meaning to it but seriously isn't this false advertisement or something? It always feels like Moffat's ending needs 2-3 episodes to complete but he tends to answer them in one. These Moffat's season finales plain out suck.

A great send off to River Song's character, but seriously confused on how post-River "computer" Song can communicate with older Doctor. It's Doctor Who so I try not to question it.

The big reveal with John Hurt being the missing Doctor who went rogue was actually pretty cool. I kinda had an inkling of a feeling before cause of news on Dr. Who 50 anniversary but still the idea of an Evil Doctor makes sense. Who else on an intellectual and callus level can compete with the Doctor then the Doctor himself. If you ever watched old Doctor Who, even Eccleston's Doctor you can kinda tell the Doctor was a balancing act and he could either fall to good or bad side. I guess the ending kinda redeems Moffat for this entire episode but like I stated before I'm not gonna try and hype myself again cause usually I'll end up feeling disappointed. Guess we gotta wait till November 2013 for the stunning conclusion to this in the 50 Anniversary episode.

My theory on John Hurt's Doctor will either be a future Doctor or the Doctor before Christopher Eccleston during which the series was on definite hiatus between the American movie and the reboot series. It most likely has to be the last one cause the 11th Doctor recognized that incarnation of his past, which means the 11th is really the 12th and should be the last incarnation before the Doctor officially dies. Here's hoping to a great special in November 2013 and the possibility of more backstory of the Time War we've heard of throughout the series.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#57  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Since Steven Moffat took over as lead writer on Doctor Who, I've been growing further and further away from the franchise, but the second half of series 7 has pulled me right back in. Under Moffat, the plotlines seemed to be constantly growing more and more complex, convoluted and crazy. At the start that was quite cool, but they just got convoluted to the point that I didn't really care.

This series has gone back to it's roots a fair bit. The episodes have mostly been self-contained, with the focus being on the specific events of that episode, and not a massively complex overarching storyline. The whole mystery of Clara was there, but rarely became the main focus. It gave it some mystery without dominating the story, which was great.

As for the finale itself, it wasn't the best episode ever, but it was enjoyable. I really liked how the Clara mystery was wrapped up, and that ending... I'm not going to post spoilers, but that ending was something else.

embryonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Did anyone else cringe a little at "Introducing....."?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@embryonic:

Cringe moments was when they digitally inserted Jenna Louise Coleman into all those old shots with the previous Doctor. So now I guess we're assuming the Doctor was guided by Clara and that when he had to die was just moments where she couldn't get to him in time?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#60  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@i_stay_puft:

I'm pretty sure it's all but confirmed that John Hurt will be playing the 9th Doctor, bumping up the number on all of the modern era Doctors. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't actually touch the numbers based on some sort of technicality about him not acting in the name of "The Doctor".

Also, with regards to that bit about only being able to regenerate 12 times that you referred to, that has already been officially retconned out as of a few years ago. So whenever Matt Smith is done (possibly in this year's Christmas special), I can pretty much guarantee you that there will be another Doctor.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I personally really enjoyed the season finale because the cheesiness is a big part of why I enjoy the show. And that finale was pretty awesome.

I hope Smith and Coleman decide to stay. I enjoy their chemistry together. Her spunkiness is refreshing.

MithrilMojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@embryonic: Yes, that was horrible. Unless you believe that everyone in the show could see that, floating in the air. Then it's almost acceptable.