• 111 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by Unilad (479 posts) -

For many reasons, we are never able to do the jobs we want. However, if you could do anything for a living...what would it be?

Ps. Please no 'win the lottery and just spend my days watching Kate Upton Cat daddy videos, whilst developing a serious addition to something. ' type answers.

#2 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Valve.

#3 Posted by mercutio123 (454 posts) -

Professional Oarsman

#4 Posted by gamefreak9 (2327 posts) -

Work for a video game company! Doesn't matter which one, as long as I have autonomy/power I can make w/e I WANT!

#5 Posted by scalpel (314 posts) -

Murders and executions.

#6 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

I would want to be the host of one of those travel shows, like Andrew Zimmern or Anthony Bourdain.

#7 Posted by zombie2011 (4941 posts) -

food critic.

#8 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

Since I'm a programmer I would have to say programmer at Valve or Blizzard would be my dream job.

#9 Posted by BaneFireLord (2877 posts) -

Quest writer and designer at Bethesda Game Studios. Too bad I have no idea how to script.

#10 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

writer of some kind? Iunno

#11 Posted by deox (210 posts) -

@kmdrkul said:

I would want to be the host of one of those travel shows, like Andrew Zimmern or Anthony Bourdain.

this. absolutely.

#12 Posted by Fallen189 (4911 posts) -

Writer

#13 Posted by Rohok (550 posts) -

U.S Army SF. Though that's not far out of my reach at the moment.

#14 Posted by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -

I'd like to edit or direct anything, really. Commercials, movies, web. Maybe not TV though. That's an oddly different culture from other forms of production.

#15 Posted by Mesklinite (803 posts) -

Be paid to travel for any reason, it would be awesome as long as you get some downtime where ever you go!

#16 Posted by TheHBK (5407 posts) -

WWF Champion :(

#17 Posted by TopSteer (624 posts) -

Professional Bowler. I love bowling so getting paid for it would be great.

#18 Posted by Svenzon (699 posts) -

Game designer. Right now I'd gladly take anything that doesn't involve retail though.

#19 Posted by phrosnite (3517 posts) -

Haven't decided yet... yeah I know.

#20 Posted by Pox22 (342 posts) -

High school history teacher. Apps sent out.

#21 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Working at a game company. Being an long-time gamer, I would make sure the devolepers knew what the fuck they're doing.

#22 Posted by Vodun (2365 posts) -

UI-designer: Dream achieved!

It would be nice to work for a company with larger pockets though, right now we're a bit restricted in what is technically feasible...would be fun to work for a company like Google where you can push things a bit.

#23 Posted by believer258 (11035 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

Valve.

You beat me to it.

#24 Posted by believer258 (11035 posts) -

@InternetCrab said:

Working at a game company. Being an long-time gamer, I would make sure the devolepers knew what the fuck they're doing.

If it was that easy, then every game would be perfect.

#25 Posted by JonathanAshleyMoore (281 posts) -

What I am doing presently, Musician. However, if that was not an option, probably Video Game Journalism.

#26 Posted by MrJorOwe (267 posts) -

I can't think of one, is that bad? Maybe something along the lines of an F1 driver, sure, that looks fun.

#27 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

Valve or Bioware.

#28 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

Batman.

In all seriousness though I'm working to get into programming and becoming a game developer, but I'd like to be a tv personality/podcast whore of some sort.

#29 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@InternetCrab said:

Working at a game company. Being an long-time gamer, I would make sure the devolepers knew what the fuck they're doing.

If it was that easy, then every game would be perfect.

I don't think you understand, this random guy from the internet clearly knows how to do things better than anyone else.

#30 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

@TheHBK said:

WWF Champion :(

Don't give up on that dream. I'd want to be a musician.

#31 Posted by ChrisTobin (56 posts) -

A member of the gaming press.

#32 Posted by McBEEF (353 posts) -

Cameraman for BBC nature programs, get to travel/see animals etc

#33 Posted by CyborgDuo (105 posts) -

Writer at Irrational Games.

#34 Edited by crusader8463 (14305 posts) -

Paediatric Gynaecologist, or leader of the world would be a nice runner up. I got some nifty ideas that I think would make this a better place. As for real jobs, I guess head of some game company would be nice. If by Dream you mean really Dream job, I guess it would be someone who gets to be among the first colonists on the first habitable planet that we find and getting to be among the first to kick start an entire civilization.

Would also like some kind of job involving being out on the ocean too. I love being out on the water and feeling the ocean air beating against my skin and the feel of the water as it mists up from the sea and splashes against my skin; cooling it where it lands. It's funny how much I enjoy being out on the water despite not knowing how to swim.

#35 Posted by csl316 (7344 posts) -

Probably a music producer, making my way known in the prog and metal scene.

#36 Posted by SSValis (1136 posts) -

Probably with those guys on that save the whales show

#37 Posted by Ekpyroticuniverse (142 posts) -

The job I am working towards

Lecturer of science communication

#38 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

Become a rapper. But I would have to get better at rapping itself

#39 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

Filmmaking. Went to college for it, and worked in local video production for a number of years, but it's a pipe dream now.

#40 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

Bassist/vocalist for a punk group with grunge, metal, shoegaze, and alternative influences.

#41 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19140 posts) -

Professional StarCraft II player? Probably not, but I have no clue what I'd like to do.

#42 Posted by AjayRaz (12389 posts) -

dream job? probably making films or writing, though i've been really slacking lately on doing both of those things

#43 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

i've always wanted to work in the video game industry. i don't know how to program.

i had this dream one time that i worked in the porn industry. i was graphic designer i made DVD labels and posters for the company. my computer was right next door to the set so i heard a lot of things. i had an apartment and had all of the dvds that the company made. i had a huge box of porn. it was a pretty weird dream. i woke up and i was like i can work with that just not having huge pile of porn though.

#44 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

@believer258 said:

@InternetCrab said:

Working at a game company. Being an long-time gamer, I would make sure the devolepers knew what the fuck they're doing.

If it was that easy, then every game would be perfect.

I don't think you understand, this random guy from the internet clearly knows how to do things better than anyone else.

It wouldn't be possible, but i have something called imagination.

#45 Edited by believer258 (11035 posts) -

@InternetCrab said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

@believer258 said:

@InternetCrab said:

Working at a game company. Being an long-time gamer, I would make sure the devolepers knew what the fuck they're doing.

If it was that easy, then every game would be perfect.

I don't think you understand, this random guy from the internet clearly knows how to do things better than anyone else.

It wouldn't be possible, but i have something called imagination.

Great! Now all you need are programming skills (which you may already have), the patience and skill for troubleshooting (which you also may already have), a team of people ready to help you put together your dream game (which you probably don't have), and a publisher willing to back your crazy wild project that isn't guaranteed to make a dime (which you almost definitely don't have)!

Do you see why all of a sudden creating a video game is not easy? And after you've got your team and the publisher, you need to be able to create interesting and balanced levels, memorable situations that the player must extricate themselves from, and most importantly of all you must give people something to look forward to once they start playing, whether that's the next big plot twist or the next mind-blowing encounter or the discussion on forums and amongst friends afterwards.

"Imagination" is great and all, but no great thing has ever come about solely because of imagination.

#46 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4661 posts) -

Pre-school or elementary school teacher.

#47 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@InternetCrab said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

@believer258 said:

@InternetCrab said:

Working at a game company. Being an long-time gamer, I would make sure the devolepers knew what the fuck they're doing.

If it was that easy, then every game would be perfect.

I don't think you understand, this random guy from the internet clearly knows how to do things better than anyone else.

It wouldn't be possible, but i have something called imagination.

Great! Now all you need are programming skills (which you may already have), the patience and skill for troubleshooting (which you also may already have), a team of people ready to help you put together your dream game (which you probably don't have), and a publisher willing to back your crazy wild project that isn't guaranteed to make a dime (which you almost definitely don't have)!

Do you see why all of a sudden creating a video game is not easy? And after you've got your team and the publisher, you need to be able to create interesting and balanced levels, memorable situations that the player must extricate themselves from, and most importantly of all you must give people something to look forward to once they start playing, whether that's the next big plot twist or the next mind-blowing encounter or the discussion on forums and amongst friends afterwards.

"Imagination" is great and all, but no great thing has ever come about solely because of imagination.

I didn't mean imagination was to make a game, I meant that I had imagination to imagine to think that I would make sure the developers knew what they we're doing.

That was a long sentence and i don't know on how many levels it was grammatically incorrect.

#48 Posted by CornBREDX (4454 posts) -

Anything really where I don't have to deal with customers. It's not my strong suit, and I suck at sales.

#49 Edited by MocBucket62 (1039 posts) -
@zombie2011 said:

food critic.

That post officially became my second choice for a dream job. My first choice would be an archivist for a video game developer that focuses on historically based video games like The Creative Assembly or Firaxis. I'm a history major and I'd like to take my interest in history into the video game industry some day. Designing history based video games for the develop would be sweet too.
#50 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2712 posts) -

Music.