Dreaming

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Wolverine

Isn't it so weird that while dreaming you can vividly see images yet while awake your not able to picture images in your head. For example, in a dream I could see my friends or my parents vividly yet while being awake I can't get my mind to be able to pant a picture of these people for me to examine. What do you believe dreams are? Some people believe you can see the future or communicate with people who have passed on in dreams. Do you believe this? Personally I'm not sure what I believe dreams are but I don't think there anything as spectacular as talking to the dead but I think there is more behind them then that we know.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By twenty0ne

Nah, I don't believe in that stuff.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Dreams are basically your brains way of organizing it's long term memory. Nothing to do with seeing the future or communicating with the dead.

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By auspiciousqueue

Maybe dreams are t firing synapses in the brain and memory consolidation while in REM sleep. Maybe it is symbolism about repressed or unacceptable behaviors as Freud said. Or something completely different. Interesting, though.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By inkeiren

I've had an interest in dreaming and sleep my whole life. I've spent many hours researching it.

However, dreams don't have anything special like talking to the dead behind them. However, dreams have some aspects lots of people don't understand. Some people think they don't have dreams. This is not true. Everyone has dreams, some people just don't remember them. Also, lots of people believe you are stuck with either remembering your dreams or not. This is also false. Some people are born predisposed towards remembering dreams (have easily recalled their dreams since they were little)  and others need to improve their "dream recall" a lot before remembering much.  Improving "dream recall" is something that is a very simple task, but that takes a while to develop. It's similar to being good in sports in that you can be born predisposed to it, but true ability comes through practice.

I don't usually type long messages, but I am a little passionate about this topic.

Avatar image for luckywanderdude
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

I've always thought the ability to see in dreams but not while awake to be interesting. I don't believe dreams are anything more than a collage of thoughts though.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By grilledcheez

I for one paint many vivid images while awake...but rarely remember my dreams anymore. 

Vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vision

You can create a picture in your mind while awake

and dreams are basically things you have seen at some point in your life (usually bunched together making something weird)

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BrickRoad

Nightmares, some believe, are your brains way of tackling a situation that hasn't happened yet, to better prepare you for it. This might even date back to the 'caveman' era. We've all had nightmares, but they change as we grow older. When you're young, you dream of monsters coming to get you, running away from wolves, etc. This sounds like something a caveman would've dreamt about, and help himself better understand how to tackle it when it does happen. When we're little we dream about monsters, when we grow up our nightmares change to car accidents, loved ones dying, having no money. Things that are more likely to happen, or even, will happen, and so the brain uses this 'off' time to work out what we'd do if the event happens. We also learn in our dreams apparently. I have first hand evidence of this, via video games! When I was a little boy, I was stuck on Sonic. Spring Yard Zones boss. You know the one where he lifts the blocks away that make the platform you stand on. Anyhow, I couldn't do it. That night I had a dream about it, and the next morning I did it in one. Dreams, for some reason, intrigue me!

Dre-e-e-e-eams, dreams, dreams, dreams, dreams, dre-e-e-e-eams.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10  Edited By Geno

The current explanation from pscyhology and neurology is that dreams are a reorganization activity for your brain. It can only take place during sleep because during the day you actively use your brain and you can't reorganize it without heavily interrupting performance (similar to how a computer can't really work while it's defragmenting).

The whole idea that dreams/nightmares mean something and/or are supernatural is bullcrap left from the Freudian age. It doesn't amount to any more than pseudoscience, and is only useful for those New Age con artists.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FlipperDesert

I wish I didn't forget all my favourite dreams a few minutes after waking up, it's funny as hell thinking about them sometimes.

I find deja vu most interesting, to dream a sequence like walking up a certain road in a certain way, wake up the next day and realize halfway through you just did excatly what you dreamed is bizarre. Am I crazy or does that happen a lot to other people?

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BrickRoad

Well, some dreams do mean something, don't they. I mean clearly if you keep dreaming about something, that has to mean something. I dream about spiders a lot, because I've an irrational fear of them. So they're my nightmares. However I agree that you can't dream the future or speak to the dead in a dream. However technically you can have a dream that may depict coincidently something that may happen in the future.

Also, I remember watching a show that says usually our first dream of the night is what we were doing last. So a lot of us probably have a very short dream involving a game we were just playing.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Geno
BrickRoad said:
"Well, some dreams do mean something, don't they. I mean clearly if you keep dreaming about something, that has to mean something. I dream about spiders a lot, because I've an irrational fear of them. So they're my nightmares. However I agree that you can't dream the future or speak to the dead in a dream. However technically you can have a dream that may depict coincidently something that may happen in the future.Also, I remember watching a show that says usually our first dream of the night is what we were doing last. So a lot of us probably have a very short dream involving a game we were just playing."
Perhaps because you have arachnophobia it takes an extra amount of processing by your brain whenever you think of something unpleasant. As you have nightmares about them you think more about them, leading to a cycle.

It has basically been proven by modern neurology that dreams are simply reorganizing periods for the brain. We have dreams in REM sleep, which is also the time in which the brain organizes and "writes" the information it received during the day (which is why during school it's about equally important to get enough sleep as it is to get enough studying done). Repeat or themed dreams are either coincidental or a product of continuously pondering on them, unconsciously or consciously. The Freudian explanation that you can interpret dreams has been discredited for over a century.
BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BrickRoad

Ah, so if I'm unconsciously thinking about spiders and therefore dream about them, could the dream not be interpreted that I am thinking about them too much, but didn't know until you just interpreted my dream?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Geno
BrickRoad said:
"

Ah, so if I'm unconsciously thinking about spiders and therefore dream about them, could the dream not be interpreted that I am thinking about them too much, but didn't know until you just interpreted my dream?

"

That's merely a use of semantics. I "interpreted" your dream in the sense that I gave you the current scientific theory on the matter, however my interpretation was not specific. It could've also been given to somebody who had repeating dreams about zombies for example. When I say dreams can't be interpreted, I mean you can't say "you constantly dream about spiders, spiders have 8 legs, each leg signifies a problem in your life that you have to solve", the fortune cookie psychology used in the 19th century (and still used today by con artists).
destro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By destro

Dreams are cool. There's a specific chemical in your brain that makes us able to produce dreams. I heard that scientists were able to extract this chemical and concentrate it into a drug. Obviously this drug is a very, very strong hallucinogen and you basically dream while your awake. Its fucked.

Also, i know dogs defiantly dream. I'm not sure if all animals dream but dogs defiantly do. Sometimes my dog is sleeping and it looks like she's dreaming. She'll make little barking noises and toss and turn, he eyes flicker as well. To me these are all basic signs of dreaming, what else could be going on?

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BrickRoad
Geno said:
"BrickRoad said:
"

"
That's merely a use of semantics. I "interpreted" your dream in the sense that I gave you the current scientific theory on the matter, however my interpretation was not specific. It could've also been given to somebody who had repeating dreams about zombies for example. When I say dreams can't be interpreted, I mean you can't say "you constantly dream about spiders, spiders have 8 legs, each leg signifies a problem in your life that you have to solve", the fortune cookie psychology used in the 19th century (and still used today by con artists). "

Yeah, I agree about that. I really did mean in my original post that they can be 'interpreted', but it'll always only ever be at the most basic level. If you dream you're falling out of a plane into the sea, it doesn't mean you're secretly in love with someone who lives across the ocean, but you're scared of failing to win her over. It probably means you don't like flying. (Add that to the spiders).

I had a dream about SFIV the night I played it for about 5 hours straight. It wasn't because I secretly want to fight 'my rival' in the street using my phychic abilities. It was because I was getting demolished.
Civraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Civraz

I've always found dreams to be interesting. One of my favorite movies is The Matrix because of how it handles the debate of reality. Like how all of our senses are merely electrical signals interpreted by our brains. So when we are dreaming, it seems like these things are really happening, and if we weren't able to wake up, how could we tell it's a dream? Fascinating stuff, I think.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Black_Rose

Dreams don't have any paranormal explanation behind them, just look it up on any psychology website or something like that.

And I don't know about the rest of the people, but I daydream all the time.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By BoG

I believe dreams are a great way to entertain yourself, either during the boring period of time you sleep or when you try and dig meaning out of them.

Listen to everyone else, though. It has to do with the organization of the brain. You actually dream most any time you sleep, you just rarely remember. Any time your body goes into REM sleep, you're dreaming. REM is that period where your brain gets everything in order, and without REM, you'd be in bad shape.
Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Optiow

Dreams are a way of thinking when you are asleep.

TheOldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheOldOrder
Optiow said:
"Dreams are a way of thinking when you are asleep."
technically, your subconscious expresses itslef openly, no restrictions no inhibition of any kind
Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

You should watch Waking Life, pretty interesting stuff.

What I hate most is Sleep Paralysis. This has happened to me once in my life so far (actually only 3 or so weeks ago). It's when your mind is at an awake state, but you are unable to move any part of your body, and you hallucinate vivid images. The good part is that this only lasts around 5-10 seconds (although there have been cases when some were in this state for as long as 45 minutes). The bad part is that this, at least for me, was a terrifying experience. Being exposed to this for the first time ever, I remember trying to move my arms and being unable to, then starting to heavily breath through my nose as I look up at my closet door and see perfectly placed bright dots placed all over it while an ominous voice boomed in my head (although I don't remember what it said).

The worst part is whenever I lay in bed, and lie perfectly still, I instantly think I am paralyzed and have to jerk my arms in order to prove otherwise.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Geno
Jolly_Lolly said:
"You should watch Waking Life, pretty interesting stuff.

What I hate most is Sleep Paralysis. This has happened to me once in my life so far (actually only 3 or so weeks ago). It's when your mind is at an awake state, but you are unable to move any part of your body, and you hallucinate vivid images. The good part is that this only lasts around 5-10 seconds (although there have been cases when some were in this state for as long as 45 minutes). The bad part is that this, at least for me, was a terrifying experience. Being exposed to this for the first time ever, I remember trying to move my arms and being unable to, then starting to heavily breath through my nose as I look up at my closet door and see perfectly placed bright dots placed all over it while an ominous voice boomed in my head (although I don't remember what it said). The worst part is whenever I lay in bed, and lie perfectly still, I instantly think I am paralyzed and have to jerk my arms in order to prove otherwise."

That happens to me quite commonly. It's...weird. It usually happens when you're really tired, bordering on sleeping and waking.
trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By trulyalive

I'm inherently aware that dreams mean complete and utter jack shit, but I'm a writer, and my dreams always seemed so vivid that I ended up working on a script about two people who share the same dreams. Throw in a little 'real world' drama, and I have a nice little love triangle going, and a suitably depressing ending, so it's mostly a matter of me just getting down to ironing out plot points in the mid section.
By the way, that idea is copyrighted, so if any of you motherfuckers want to make some money off it faster than I do, expect to be cutting me in =P

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By teh_destroyer

Dreams are just a fucked up version of what had happened in the past.