Dreams, hopes, and keeping them alive.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

Edited By Arkthemaniac

Hello, Giant Bomb. How is everyone tonight, on this Good Friday?

We all had dreams as kids. How often have you heard that before? Enough, I'd say, but hear me out. We all had dreams as kids. I've known people that wanted to be astronauts, dancers, and more. I also know that none of these people are going on to become this. Instead, they're off to college to learn more marketable professions. They've been told that they have to think realistically, and that their chances of achieving something like being a famous dancer ala Fred Astaire is nilch. They've given up, in fear of not being able to support themselves financially. Eventually, after Spaceman earns his Bachelor in engineering and ballerina becomes a data analyst, they seem to forget they ever had desires in life beyond what they are living.

It's a deformed world we live in. Do you realize that the United States imprisons people for graffiti, gang-related or not? Vandalism, they call it . . . even though some graffiti is worthy of being framed and sold for thousands of dollars due to its beauty. "We'd like to give the artist credit, but he's currently getting raped in prison for vandalizing a wall." Oh, what a world. It's a world where dreams die.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently. On March 20th, the first day of Spring, I was accepted into Columbia College of Chicago, which is a world-recognized school of the arts, and is also the largest in the US. I will be going there for music. Yeah, I'm naive. At least, that's what I've been told by people my age. I've been told I should treat music as a hobby, and that it wouldn't be able to sustain me financially. It's always puzzled me, why people have bugged me about it. I doubt it's out of sincere concern for my well-being. Then I start to wonder if it's because they didn't have to balls to go for what they really wanted to go for. 

There are plenty of people that end up going to school for what they want to. But for all those people, there's so many that end up hating what they do. That hate becomes their environment. Their hate transforms the world into a lifeless place where people stare ahead and loathe change. It's these people that force street performers to have permits. It's these people that lock up great artists because their canvas was the city itself. It's depressing to me, that this happens, but it does, and it wouldn't happen if people went for it more often.

Anyways . . . I'll be going to college next year, and I plan on making myself a professional musician in four years time. Will it be difficult? You fuckin believe it. Would I have it any other way? Absolutely not.

That's all I have to say. Thanks for reading.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Hello, Giant Bomb. How is everyone tonight, on this Good Friday?

We all had dreams as kids. How often have you heard that before? Enough, I'd say, but hear me out. We all had dreams as kids. I've known people that wanted to be astronauts, dancers, and more. I also know that none of these people are going on to become this. Instead, they're off to college to learn more marketable professions. They've been told that they have to think realistically, and that their chances of achieving something like being a famous dancer ala Fred Astaire is nilch. They've given up, in fear of not being able to support themselves financially. Eventually, after Spaceman earns his Bachelor in engineering and ballerina becomes a data analyst, they seem to forget they ever had desires in life beyond what they are living.

It's a deformed world we live in. Do you realize that the United States imprisons people for graffiti, gang-related or not? Vandalism, they call it . . . even though some graffiti is worthy of being framed and sold for thousands of dollars due to its beauty. "We'd like to give the artist credit, but he's currently getting raped in prison for vandalizing a wall." Oh, what a world. It's a world where dreams die.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently. On March 20th, the first day of Spring, I was accepted into Columbia College of Chicago, which is a world-recognized school of the arts, and is also the largest in the US. I will be going there for music. Yeah, I'm naive. At least, that's what I've been told by people my age. I've been told I should treat music as a hobby, and that it wouldn't be able to sustain me financially. It's always puzzled me, why people have bugged me about it. I doubt it's out of sincere concern for my well-being. Then I start to wonder if it's because they didn't have to balls to go for what they really wanted to go for. 

There are plenty of people that end up going to school for what they want to. But for all those people, there's so many that end up hating what they do. That hate becomes their environment. Their hate transforms the world into a lifeless place where people stare ahead and loathe change. It's these people that force street performers to have permits. It's these people that lock up great artists because their canvas was the city itself. It's depressing to me, that this happens, but it does, and it wouldn't happen if people went for it more often.

Anyways . . . I'll be going to college next year, and I plan on making myself a professional musician in four years time. Will it be difficult? You fuckin believe it. Would I have it any other way? Absolutely not.

That's all I have to say. Thanks for reading.
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Steve_C

That sounds great. I have a lot of respect for people who follow their ambitions, though for some they view their goal through awesome-tinted glasses and are not really aware of the reality of it.
It seems like you know what you are getting yourself into, so congratulations and good luck.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

You're not naive, hard work and dedication creates luck. That's what I wish for you... all the luck in the world, because it's your world to create.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HandsomeDead

I hope you fail and end up flipping burgers in your local McDonald's and when I come in, after inexplicably flying across the atlantic directly to your city, I miserably spend my hard earned money on your burger and you force a smile and tell me to have a nice day, because you have to, because you gave up your life to follow a crazy dream. I'll ignore you, not really enjoy my burger and get back to my slightly above average job while you stay in your meagre hand-to-mouth workplace.

Nah, just kidding. I'd never go to an American McDonalds.

Nah, just kidding. I would but i'm anorexic.

I'm being serious. I'm also being serious when I say, good luck. After hearing all the shit about the depression, it's about time someone actually felt motivated to do something good.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Arkthemaniac
HandsomeDead said:
"I hope you fail and end up flipping burgers in your local McDonald's and when I come in, after inexplicably flying across the atlantic directly to your city, I miserably spend my hard earned money on your burger and you force a smile and tell me to have a nice day, because you have to, because you gave up your life to follow a crazy dream. I'll ignore you, not really enjoy my burger and get back to my slightly above average job while you stay in your meagre hand-to-mouth workplace.Nah, just kidding. I'd never go to an American McDonalds.Nah, just kidding. I would but i'm anorexic.I'm being serious. I'm also being serious when I say, good luck. After hearing all the shit about the depression, it's about time someone actually felt motivated to do something good."
Oh, HandsomeDead. You might actually like the music I play. I'm not going to pay 80,000 over the next 4 years to learn how to be a Rush cover band.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead
Arkthemaniac said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"I hope you fail and end up flipping burgers in your local McDonald's and when I come in, after inexplicably flying across the atlantic directly to your city, I miserably spend my hard earned money on your burger and you force a smile and tell me to have a nice day, because you have to, because you gave up your life to follow a crazy dream. I'll ignore you, not really enjoy my burger and get back to my slightly above average job while you stay in your meagre hand-to-mouth workplace.Nah, just kidding. I'd never go to an American McDonalds.Nah, just kidding. I would but i'm anorexic.I'm being serious. I'm also being serious when I say, good luck. After hearing all the shit about the depression, it's about time someone actually felt motivated to do something good."
Oh, HandsomeDead. You might actually like the music I play. I'm not going to pay 80,000 over the next 4 years to learn how to be a Rush cover band."
Maybe. I'd be interested in hearing whatever you do produce in the end, even if just so I can have a smoking gun to you being overly pretentious or, better, it'll be good and I can add it to my playlists.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Hamz

I'm going to sound like a sap but it is so worth it.

If you have a dream goal in life, no matter what it is or how old / young you are. Never stop trying to achieve it. You may never ever achieve your life ambition but that doesn't mean you shouldn't pour your heart and soul into trying to achieve it. Because lets be fair here, what else is there too look forward too if not your ultimate goal in life?

You can either work like a drone in a cheap suit, sitting in a cubicle for 8 hours a day and go home to the same old routine or you can strive to change your life and make something of yourself.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By BiggerBomb

I shit you not, it was almost as if I could hear Piano Man while I read that. Ark, don't let people pull you down. This is the United fucking States of America. We have a son of a Kenyan immigrant; an African-American kid who grew up on food stamps, became hooked on drugs, and lived a troubled life with his family always sickened and/or dying. Now he's the President. There's a reason why it's called the "American Dream," a term that's only faintly recognizable, though recognizable nevertheless, in times when American stigma is as great as her nuclear stock-pile.

Fuck all the nay-sayers. You've already taken the first step, Ark, getting into a music college. Don't let anyone pull you down. Keep going, buddy.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ninjakiller

Good luck with that, just take it with a grain of salt because shitheads like the Jonas Brothers live in a mansion while real musicians perform on street corners.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By get2sammyb

Well this is interesting because it's something that's close to my heart. As it happened I turned my back on my dream, which is the same thing as you, music. I love producing music, and I actually dreamed of working with my other favourite things -- video games. I love the nuances of sound and their mixing. I'm not really a musician as such -- I'm a hobby producer.

As university neared -- I could never decide. Music/dreams and no future (come on, let's be realistic) or dull daytime office job/web designer and a future. I picked the latter and started my university course. By Christmas I'd decided no matter what the future held, my dreams were worth following. Started my music degree a long way from home -- and hated where I was living, hated the area, hated being far away from home. As it happened -- not matter how much I love producing music and wanted to learn every day, my dreams weren't worth the trade-off of £30,000 of debt, no career prospects and living for 3-years in an area I hate isolated from those I love.

So as it turned out, my dreams fell apart all around me. And as it happens I feel left behind, trapped and my confidence (of which I used to think I had in abundance) has been smashed.

I learned dreams don't come true. But I also gained belief in fate. I turned away from my first degree, to follow my "dreams". And as soon as I began to pursue them they fell apart around me. As it happens, my old degree welcomed me back, and while I'm not particularly fascinated by the subject -- something inside me directed me. It was like I have been pulled against my own "wants" and dreams, and put in a direction that looks so mundance, and seems so dull, but something that perhaps I'm SUPPOSED to do, even though it doesn't feel it.

Either way, perhaps fate is pulling you towards your dreams, and your dreams really will come true. I hope it does, because life is dull and hard enough. If you manage to earn money doing something you enjoy, then I can only imagine your life will be a bit brighter.

I don't want to sound ungrateful in this post either - I am super thankful for all the opportunities I've been given. I'm guilty of making mistakes, like everyone. I just wanted to say that because I know people might think I have just been given all this opportunity and not appreciated any of it, which I do, so much.

Alas -- on a more positive note, what instruments do you play Ark?

Check out the last track I produced before taking some time out on my "dream" here. Don't listen to the older shit, it's terrible.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Aurelito

I wanted to become an Animator when I realized that animators make them moving paints, working at Walt Disney... well 2D cartoons extincted and reluctantly I saw it childish. By the way, I'm still wasting my time in high school.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I kinda dug that tune, sammy. Also, I play bass guitar, and nothing else. I wasn't in a good enough financial position to join the band program at my school, which is my biggest regret.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crunchUK

Funny you should mention that, i'm going to leeds college of music next year.

Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Jesus

I got a dream. Its one you can laugh at. But I don't care. I'm going to keep trying until I die

Canberra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Canberra
Jesus said:
"I got a dream. Its one you can laugh at. But I don't care. I'm going to keep trying until I die"

Say what it is in a few words as possible.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By get2sammyb

@Crunch -- I have two friends there.

Naughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers