#1 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

The other day I was listening to the podcast talking about somebody putting liquid nitrogen in their gob.

A girl drank it in a cocktail, the result were bad, really bad. You can't imagine how bad. Followed by why liquid nitrogen is dangerous.

At uni my mate soaked his beanie in liquid nitrogen, put it on his head and walked down the corridor with it steaming away and then got a massive headache.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19866191

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19870668

#2 Edited by TooWalrus (13203 posts) -

It can't possible be worse than I'd think because in my mind, drinking Liquid Nitrogen = an extremely painful slow death. 

EDIT: Stomach removal surgery? Never mind, you were totally right, I'd rather die.

#3 Posted by davo (141 posts) -

You know things are bad when a stomach is not pumped, but removed.

#4 Posted by Brodehouse (9951 posts) -

Oh no shit?

#5 Posted by LiquidPrince (15950 posts) -

I'm just imagining your internals completely freezing and then randomly exploding due to the weird temperature fluctuations in your body causing your whole body to blow up. Is it worse then that?

#6 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

My world is flipped upside down now.

#7 Edited by Icemo (642 posts) -

Oh, that sounds terrible. I would rather get stabbed in the stomach than have that happen to me.

#8 Posted by SuperSambo (2865 posts) -

"Lancashire Police have not officially named the place where she bought the cocktail, but say Oscar's has stopped selling it."

#9 Posted by TooWalrus (13203 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:

I'm just imagining your internals completely freezing and then randomly exploding due to the weird temperature fluctuations in your body causing your whole body to blow up. Is it worse then that?

It's pretty much exactly that, but thanks to 'medical science', you get to live the rest of your life without a stomach.
#10 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19344 posts) -

That's no worse than I thought.

#11 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

No, I'm pretty sure drinking liquid nitrogen is exactly as bad as I think.

@SuperSambo said:

"Lancashire Police have not officially named the place where she bought the cocktail, but say Oscar's has stopped selling it."

Yeah, I noticed that, too. POLICEWORK GUISE!

#12 Posted by Rebel_Scum (712 posts) -

@SuperSambo said:

Yeah thats funy. I read it from a different news source and it fully mentioned where she bought it. Its a stupid idea anyways to drink something from the periodic table that your body doesn't need.

#13 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

@SuperSambo said:

AHAHHAHA

#14 Edited by believer258 (11914 posts) -

I don't know, I'd imagine swallowing liquid nitrogen to be like getting Terminator 2'd inside out.

EDIT: Although I don't think that liquid nitrogen could actually do that. I'm not a chemist, though, so maybe it does.

#15 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

@believer258: dammit you beat me to it!!

#16 Posted by Farley_Lives (278 posts) -

"The bar say their "heartfelt best wishes" go to Gaby Scanlon and her family "at this distressing time"."

Also, I wonder what the legality of selling Liquid Nitrogen at a restaurant or bar is. Selling anything with it in it seems highly sketchy.

#17 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

I was thinking like a scientist. Because the liquid is moving not much tissue damage would occur until the it's settled somewhere, and still the thermal mass of that amount of liquid isn't huge. I've poured liquid nitrogen on my hands and dipped fingers in cups of it shit loads - it's what you do when you're a student. This is the badness I was thinking. Nitrogen liquid expands to a gas 696 times the volume, so just 50ml in a drink would expand to 35 LITRES in your gut! Could you burp that much out before it burst your gut? She said she couldn't breathe so I think her bloated gut was pushing hard on her diaphragm. I'd be panicked bad.

#18 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5008 posts) -

Liquid nitrogen? That's so last month. Mercury is the new shit.

#19 Posted by Korolev (1707 posts) -

My bet is that they mistook Nitrogen for Dry Ice - idiot bar tender probably thought "DURRR! COLD THING IS COLD THING! DURRRR! I SERVE IN DRINK! DURRR!" A lot of bartenders use dry ice to give that smokey effect, and dry ice is relatively harmless (still wouldn't want to put your hand right on it).

She can live without a stomach - she just needs to mash up all the food, eat in small chunks so as not to form a large bolus, and perhaps pre-acidify her food because your small intestines depend on acidity to absorb nutrients (particularly iron - you can't absorb iron if the chyme (what the food becomes) is not acidic). She will also have to taken intrinsic factor (which is usually secreted by the stomach and necessary for Vit. B12 absorption) for the rest of her life. Not a pleasant existence. But she'll live. Live to sue that stupid bartender into oblivion, because goddamn whoever that bartender is, deserves to have all his/her money taken away due to horrific incompetence.

#20 Posted by dropabombonit (1490 posts) -

Seen this on the news and straight away thought of Giantbomb, VIDEOGAMES!

#21 Posted by MattyFTM (14385 posts) -

Pretty sure there was a Reddit Ask Me Anything with a guy who drank liquid nitrogen. Or at least someone told his story on there about drinking liquid nitrogen. He was a college professor or technician or something. He recalled from his college days that you could safely hold liquid nitrogen in your stomach because of some sort of effect with the nitrogen turning into a gas that means the liquid never actually touches your body. All his students were in disbelief, and he did it to show them. Except he misremembered The trick is that you can hold a small amount of liquid nitrogen in your mouth, and breath the nitrogen gas out of your nose. It's a cool trick, and it works. However, if you swallow it, bad shit happens. He collapsed on the floor and was rushed to hospital. He ended up fine, but only after a lot of pain and surgery.

So yeah, don't swallow liquid nitrogen. It's not nice.

#22 Posted by dudeglove (7859 posts) -

@WickedFather said:

Nitrogen liquid expands to a gas 696 times the volume, so just 50ml in a drink would expand to 35 LITRES in your gut!

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

#23 Posted by Genkkaku (735 posts) -

That sucks..

Did no one at any point think "Wait.. Liquid Nitrogen is probably not something we should put in drinks"

#24 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

Seeing a lot of reddit regurgitated in this thread.

#25 Posted by Sean2206 (264 posts) -

I heard this on the radio earlier and I was just like what the fuck and then the interviewer asked some drinks dude, why would she drink it ?, she hardly did it on purpose. But holy shit its definitely not good when the stomach is straight up removed.

@Genkkaku: I think it was something more to do with dry ice sort of stuff in the cocktail for effect.

#26 Posted by Genkkaku (735 posts) -

@Sean2206: Yeah they were probably trying to one-up dry ice without realizing 'oh wait, this can actually burn your insides out'.. Maybe someone should have researched it first

#27 Posted by Fattony12000 (7418 posts) -

Nope, I know exactly how worse it is to drink something that boils at −196 °C.

#28 Edited by Barrabas (326 posts) -

As someone who has handled a lot of liquid nitrogen (mostly working with electron microscopes), I can't imagine any place being stupid enough to sell a drink with that in it. It's just fucking beyond belief that someplace could do something like that.

#29 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

...but does it taste good..?

#30 Posted by Sanity (1907 posts) -

Thats horrible, hope she sues the fuck out of them.

#31 Posted by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

@SuperSambo said:

It could be that the reporter just ruined a police investigation because he didn't get the clue that he wasn't supposed to mention the place's name, or he just did the police's job, or the Lancashire Police are a bunch of idiots....

#32 Posted by UncleClassy (405 posts) -

I like the part where the guy calls nitrogen a toxic chemical.

#33 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3847 posts) -

This is one of the best thread titles ever.

#34 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

No, it's about as bad as I thought it would be.

#35 Posted by Hailinel (24837 posts) -

Who's more at fault, the dumbass that drinks the cocktail, or the fucktard that puts it on the menu?

#36 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

No, I was already pretty convinced that drinking liquid Nitrogen was a spectacularly fucking stupid and dangerous thing to do already...

#37 Posted by TheHT (11290 posts) -

D:

#38 Posted by EVO (3913 posts) -

Still beats ouzo.

#39 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1439 posts) -

Huh, who knew?

#40 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

@WickedFather said:

Nitrogen liquid expands to a gas 696 times the volume, so just 50ml in a drink would expand to 35 LITRES in your gut!

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

696? That's so specific, lmao.

#41 Edited by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

Wait, the bars there have been serving their drinks with liquid nitrogen? Am I reading that right, because if so, what the fuck?

Edit: Okay, so I guess restaurants have been doing this despite clearly not knowing what they're doing. Well maybe the should stop now and find gimmicks that won't potentially kill people.

#42 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3154 posts) -

Shit! Turned my stomach.

#43 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Hey guys, stop thinking about drinking Liquid Nitrogen. Why don't we just go play games and forget that this was ever discussed.

#44 Edited by GenocidalKitten (243 posts) -

No, I was convinced that it would be pretty horrible.

#45 Posted by sopachuco13 (392 posts) -
@dropabombonit

Seen this on the news and straight away thought of Giantbomb, VIDEOGAMES!

Giantbomb, VIDEOGAMES, Off-Topic message board.