#1 Posted by robbob88 (326 posts) -

I am learning how to drive stick (I hate it right now but not a surprise) and my biggest problem is getting the car to start moving forward, I stall quite a bit. I heard of this method called "no gas method" where you just slowly let out of the clutch and once the car starts moving then you apply the gas. 

I have read some people say that that isn't a good idea.  

Why? 

I need help. Haha. 

I really wanna use that method but if it's bad for the car or dangerous on the road then I don't wanna do it.
#2 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -

Get better.

#3 Posted by robbob88 (326 posts) -

Wow. Thanks for advice.
#4 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -

I really don't know what else you want to hear. You keep dropping the clutch. Even good drivers drop the clutch. Just keep practicing and you'll drop the clutch less. When I was in france my host's mother stalled the car while stopped at an intersection.

#5 Posted by UncleClassy (405 posts) -

I have one leg and drive a stick just fine. You should be fine if you just put in some work on it, brah.

#6 Edited by keris (168 posts) -

What you just described is not bad at all. Around where the car starts moving is where the clutch is at its "slipping point". Getting the clutch to that point is the key of getting the car to move. Now, where the bad part usually comes in is when you apply the gas. You want to make sure that the clutch is fully engaged (i.e. foot off the clutch pedal) before you apply any significant amount of gas. If you use too much gas before that point, you'll wear out the clutch.

I'd practice trying to get my left leg to know by muscle memory where the slipping point is on the clutch for the particular car you're trying to drive. You should probably use about three left leg positions: clutch fully engaged (foot off the clutch pedal, i.e. on the dead pedal), clutch at the slipping point, and clutch fully disengaged (foot fully depressing clutch pedal). Once you've got the feel for where the slipping point is, you'll need to practice to get your left leg there as soon as possible. If you're on a downward incline, you may have to apply some gas before the slipping point to compensate or the engine will die. 

With all that said, that only applies for first and reverse. But once you've got those figured out, you've got most of the hard part of manual transmission behind you.

EDIT: I forgot the most important part. Once the car starts to move, slowly apply the gas. When you feel the gas pedal is accelerating the car, release the clutch.

#7 Posted by Management (596 posts) -

You should learn how to drive stick properly and not some half-assed easy shortcut.

I feel it's hard to explain how you should do it, but just keep practicing and don't worry about stalling the car a few times while you learn.

#8 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -

Wait, by stick do you mean manual or stick shift?

#9 Posted by keris (168 posts) -
@Example1013 said:
Wait, by stick do you mean manual or stick shift?
What's the difference?
#10 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -

Where the shifter is, at least afaik.

#11 Posted by StaticFalconar (4850 posts) -

learning how to drive manual online is like learning how to swim online. its really more in practicing and being shown how to instead of reading about it. 

#12 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1744 posts) -

If you stall, it's usually because you don't give it enough gas.

If it's a diesel motor, you can practically drive it on the clutch, but if it isn't, you shouldn't be afraid to step on that gas.

Basically, practice. Practice a lot!

#13 Posted by keris (168 posts) -
@Example1013: It seems the OP's problem is with clutch work at the moment, so I guess that distinction is moot for now. I'd always thought those two terms were interchangeable.
#14 Posted by teh_destroyer (3574 posts) -

@StaticFalconar said:

learning how to drive manual online is like learning how to swim online. its really more in practicing and being shown how to instead of reading about it.

So you gonna teach me to swim, right?

#15 Posted by marvin_martian (93 posts) -

As you (slowly) let the clutch up, you apply gas.  Never heard of this "no gas method" but it doesn't seem sound.  You need to give it a certain amount of gas or it will stall.  Learning the breaking points just takes trial and error and you should be able to get it going (in a sloppy fashion) within a day.  Just practice.

#16 Edited by keris (168 posts) -
@marvin_martian: It's perfectly sound. If you get the clutch to the right point, the car will start moving with just the clutch. At the very least, it works on 1995 Civic, a 2004 Civic, a 1998 Mustang, and a 2004 WRX STi.
#17 Posted by Colin (707 posts) -

With some cars you can let the clutch out slowly and not need to press the gas but that is just stupid as shit, just give it the beans and let the clutch out, an't nothing to it, biggest problem I see with most people learning to drive is that there generally scared to rev the engine, don't be scared but also don't floor it like an idiot either.  I learned to drive in a 1997 106, probably one the easiest cars to learn in you could easily just let the clutch out and it would roll on and then applying the gas at a later point but that doesn't work if it's the tinyest bit uphill.

Basically I'm saying don't be scared to rev a car, just don't over do it but generally learners never over rev since there still kinda scared, I'm learning my brothers gf how to drive and she's very stally in my car since its super easy to stall it, I always tell her don't be scared to rev it, your only ever going to stall by not revving.

Also ya don't let the clutch out too fast either but in the end I think most learners again it's not there clutch control its more there throttle control that they lack in.

#18 Posted by Avanzato (91 posts) -

I recently got a new car and the clutch comes in at a different place to the old car. So for the first day I was driving like learner again, stalled it a couple of times. Second day I got used to it and it was fine.

Really if you're stalling a lot, just apply more gas. You'll get the feeling really quickly as to how the car is behaving and it won't be long until it seems easy.

#19 Posted by HB (103 posts) -

Most people make the mistake of pivoting their ankle when bringing the clutch up when they're learning to drive. Bring the whole foot up at an angle and it will be smoother.

#20 Posted by 1p (760 posts) -

Clutch feel can vary a lot from car to car. The "no gas" method will not work with every car. Besides, if you don't want a slow take-off, you should be applying gas either while you're releasing the clutch or shortly before you release the clutch.

Also, if you haven't already done it, go to Wikipedia and read about how the clutch, the gearbox and whatnot work mechanically. There might be some animations on YouTube as well. A basic understanding of this stuff will help you make sense of the ways the car is reacting to your inputs.