Duders! I need your help to catch the people that mugged me.

wicked_wumpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

So I know this isn't exactly the place for this type of thing but this is a community that I have come to love and trust and I know that there are some Photoshop wizards out there that can help me out. I need your skills!

So here's the story, my friend Kristin and I were sitting on a bench in a park in Savannah, GA drinking some coffee when a group of two males and two females walked passed us. People had been doing that all night so nothing seemed weird about it. They stopped a little ways down the sidewalk and the two females walked back our way and the males sort of hung back a little bit. The females approached us and appeared to be making friendly conversation when they asked us how we were and if we were just hanging out in the square. I responded that we were just hanging out, finding the situation a bit odd but not so odd that I thought anything bad was going to happen.

The next thing I knew one of the females was spraying us with what at first seemed like water and it seemed like sort of a playful thing almost and really caught me off guard. I think I put my hand up to block the spray and then I heard Kristin shout and then the group took off running. Kristin started running after them and then I took off after Kristin. I realized that they had taken her purse and we were chasing after them to get it back, it was all sort of a blur at that point, possibly due to the pepper spray that they had sprayed in our eyes.

We chased them to a car that they had waiting on the corner of Whitaker St. and McDonough St. As I ran I was unlocking my phone so I could get a picture of their car, I don’t remember even thinking about doing that, it was just instinct I guess.

Kristin’s instincts lead her in another direction however. The car couldn’t cross Whitaker immediately because of cross traffic so we had time to catch up with them. She noticed that they had left their drivers side window open so she ran up to the car and dove partway through the window, her thought was that if she could get the keys out of the ignition then they couldn’t get away.

I snapped a picture with my phone and unfortunately left the flash on so the license plate is too bright to see. Immediately after I took the picture the road had cleared so the driver of the car took off with Kristin still half in their window. They drove across Whitaker towards Orleans square and Kristin tumbled from the window and fell onto the street. I ran to Kristin to make sure she was relatively okay as the car sped away.

So we ended the night with pepper spray in our eyes, she lost her purse, wallet, phone, credit cards, keys, and broke a finger and severely injured her knee. It was not a great night but I’m hoping we can catch the people that did this with all the information we have on them.

So here's where you lovely people come in. I have a photo of the vehicle but need help getting the license plate information. I've been able to do some photoshopping to get some possible letters and numbers in the reflection above and below the plate but it's not complete and I figured the more people working on this the better. All I know is that it's a newer model Chevrolet Equinox and it had Georgia plates on it. Thank you guys so much for your help. We've got a lot of information and we just need a few more numbers and letters from this plate to catch these cowards.

The picture with too much flash.

No Caption Provided

Some edits revealing possible letters/numbers:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think you might rather give this to the police

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

Good luck finding them!

wicked_wumpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The police are definitely heavily involved in this case. We've got the dealership that the car was purchased from and the police say they are trying to get their records, but I figured a full or partial license plate would help the process a bit.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Why don't you take this one to the police? They can help you far more than we can.

jimmy_p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jimmy_p

If you want better odds that the internet will produce something useful related to this, you should probably try reddit too. As much as I dont like most of their userbase, a community that size is pretty likely to be helpful.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't have lower-case letters on license plates.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#8  Edited By alistercat

If the image has been compressed or saved to a different format it will have lost a lot of data beyond the visible range, making it impossible to edit the image to see anything under the flash. I assume that the uploaded image is not the full quality version. Assuming it was HDR to begin with.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Good luck finding them & give any info to the police, they might be able to better track them trying to use whatever cards used to nail these bastards.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@superkenon said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't have lower-case letters on license plates.

I've certainly never seen any. Anyway, that sucks duder, fuck those people. I don't have any photoshop skills so I can't help but I hope they catch em.

Also what @jimmy_p said, reddit sucks but they eat up shit like this.

MrJorOwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrJorOwe

Could you or your friend not read the number plate if you were that close? I've never been pepper sprayed, but just assume if you're close enough to jump in a window then you can read the plate. Probably not a big enough community here to be able to do much, but let us know what happens fo sho

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shit. Savannah, GA is like, the last place I can think of where someone could be robbed. People are shitty.

And a group of people, too. Men and women. Shit.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Quarters

Man, what a crap situation. Glad you guys are alright. And your friend sounds pretty BA. Can't make out jack in the license plate, but like others have said, I've never seen one with lower case letters. Maybe that "e" is actually something like a "G" or a "6"?

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm no photoshop wizard but I doubt anything can be done about that picture, unfortunately. I really hope you eventually catch those fuckers.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why you take videos - the quality might be worse, but there's so much more potential for deciphering stuff like this.

From what I understand, that's the definition of a futile act. I'm much more confident the internet will be so much more helpful than any cop, at least in this case.

Speaking of which, take this to 4chan. You'll get a bigger audience, and they usually like a good fight for justice.

benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By benjo_t

I can't be of any help but well wishes to you OP, hope something can be done.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you can recall what the people looked like (how old, how tall, tattoos, piercing etc. ) and what vehicle they were driving (or at least an accurate description), that can all go a long way with helping the authorities. If the credit card(s) have not been deactivated, be sure to keep an eye out for transactions made on it.

I really hope all works out for you and your friend.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I am of zero help here but I just want to say that your friend sounds like a total badass. These people better hope the cops find them before she does.

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ask anonymous members with freetime... They love to crack this kind of stuff when they are not hacking something.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I tried fooling around with the picture in photoshop and got absolutely nothing. I'm sure there's probably professional internet sleuths out there with better photoshop skills than me though.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

You'd honestly be better posting this on reddit. There is a way larger group of people with many more varying skills over there that could most likely help you.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Karkarov

@ch3burashka said:

This is why you take videos - the quality might be worse, but there's so much more potential for deciphering stuff like this.

@connerthekewlkid said:

From what I understand, that's the definition of a futile act. I'm much more confident the internet will be so much more helpful than any cop, at least in this case.

Speaking of which, take this to 4chan. You'll get a bigger audience, and they usually like a good fight for justice.

Did you just tell a dude 4chan is more likely to be helpful to him in this situation than the police? ..... ..... ..... Damn do I seriously hope that is some sort of strange joke.

That said, I doubt anything can be done with this pic. Even if you apply multiple filters and all sorts of cleaning tricks there is no way to get the plate because there is nothing to work with. There is literally no data from the numbers, they weren't captured, it is just a blank plate due to the exposure and flash. That said I can tell you what dealership it came from, but you already know that.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrjorowe said:

Could you or your friend not read the number plate if you were that close? I've never been pepper sprayed, but just assume if you're close enough to jump in a window then you can read the plate. Probably not a big enough community here to be able to do much, but let us know what happens fo sho

They were probably really teary eyed and everything was probably blurry due to the tears so they couldn't see anything in fine detail.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thinking about the kind of person that would do something like this makes me so fucking angry.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

4chan.org/b/

I'm not kidding.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

yeah dude call the cop, if you can at least get them a make or model of the car they can at least find a match to the license plate. Unless your local police are like Detroit's and just don't give a fuck. Good luck dude and good thing it sounds like your friend didn't end up hurt after her tumble. One other thought, if its a pretty busy park they might have cameras around the area that might have a better glimpse of not only the perps but the license plate itself, report this immediately.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was an exciting read.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Strife777

@karkarov: Thing is, police will probably say ok thanks, and keep that data in their bank and look out for it, but I doubt they'll actively search for it.

Say what you will about 4chan though, they'll look through the bottom of the internet just for a little justice. I remember some kid posting videos of him torturing his cats, his face wasn't even in the videos and they still managed to find out who he was and send the police there. All that just by looking through facebook pictures and comparing to the guy's videos.

Remember that some people online have nothing but time and will gladly do that kind of stuff, cops are busy.

Edit: Obviously that doesn't mean he shouldn't tell the cops (if he hasn't already), just saying that the additional help is good.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't help you, sorry, I don't have Photoshop or any of those fancy picture editing things. You might be better off taking it to one of those other communities. The cops probably won't help much, but you can try, I guess. It sucks that this happened to your friend, sorry. It's shit like this that makes me carry a gun on me everywhere I go.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#31  Edited By Kidavenger
RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What kind of smartphone did your friend have? I know apple smart phones can be tracked if an apple id is associated with it (Im guessing it is).

https://www.icloud.com/#find

Thats the website. If she has an iphone, of course