Dungeons and Dragons

Whitacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So recently I have been super interested in D&D and was wondering if there was a group of people who play or if anybody would be interested in playing?I am super new to this style of game but I would love to experience it. I figure with Skype or google hangouts there are tons of ways for people to together and run a campaign or even just a dungeon?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

That sounds really fun. I'm in if this actually happens.

I would use Roll20 + Skype.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikeLemmer

Best tool I've found:

http://www.rptools.net/?page=maptool

Freeware, Java-based, reasonably stable, albeit a pain to set up, and a pain to build your PCs on it. Does save time in the long run, though.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Christoffer

I support this, even if I actually can't join up (I don't want to be the douche who say I don't have the time. It's a matter of priority. I know. Ok, I am that douche.)

But. Just wanted to say. You should probably plot down some details for this. Hours (considering time zones) and software used (including roleplaying software and voice stuff(oh skype)).

All of the luck.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd try a one-off but not committing to a regular thing a priori.

Whitacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anybody know GM? or someone who would want to try being one? I can put the times together and stuff but i have zero experience GMing. It would be a long shot but who DM'd for the video that the site put up?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Corevi

@whitacer: Rorie is DMing the Unpluggeds.

I've DMd before but it was real bad.

FlUtterShy_XXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always wanted to at least watch a game.

Xymbiot3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would probably be interested in trying out a session to see how it goes depending on when you schedule it and what version you use. I have yet to adopt 5e but it's something I plan on doing since I heard it was much better than 4e.

Whitacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we can get a DM, I am looking into a couple options, then we would using 5e. It is super easy to get your toes wet so to speak. The basic rules are free so you can play a game for free to see if you like it. I haven't played 5e yet either so I am excited at the chance. Generally speaking what days of the week work best for the majority of people?

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

I love DM'ing and would be happy to walk some folks through character creation. Let me know if you want me to set something up. I'm available after 9 eastern time most evenings.

Xymbiot3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitacer: Any week day is good for me, and timing wise I'd be up for anything after 4pm central.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrWakka

So roll20 is a great resource for this, it runs in browser and works well.

I have DM'ed numerous campaigns both in person and online, and I will say that in my experience one-offs are not going to be particularly effective at learning and getting to know the game. From the Unplugged you can see that for a bunch of novice players the first session alone can be taken up just with character creation. (This becomes much quicker as your knowledge and familiarity with the game grows, but for new players can be quite time consuming.) You would be better off playing a short introductory campaign or game, something that is like 2-5 sessions + character creation. Otherwise you are not going to get a whole lot done, much less really get a feel for the experience.

You should also expect new players, and especially with a new GM, to take longer for things like combat and various interactions. What might take 10-20 minutes in a face to face game with experienced players can take 1-2 hours online and with new players. (Online for various reasons takes longer, usually because of distractions. The differences between the two depending on the group can be surprising.)

Still, the quickest possible game you'd want pre-mades, and a short dungeon crawl like the one they did last time with pathfinder. Half the fun to me is character creation, but if you really want a 1 session test run that seems the best option, and even then you probably shouldn't expect to finish the dungeon in one session.

If there is a need for a GM, I might be open to running a short term game, assuming there is interest and things could be scheduled for those interested. (Getting everyones playtime lined up is the bane of these kind of games.)

Krevee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@whitacer:

I would be in for at least a few sessions. I'm not really comfortable with DMing, but I have the 5E players handbook so I could help other's with character creation.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys, we are going to roll up some characters this Sunday at 9pm eastern time. I think we are going to use google hangouts and roll20 so we can roll dice and stuff. Let me know if you are interested. I think this is going to be fun! If we have time after character generation I'm going run Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

tkalsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I would love to do this with some duders

Skithus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone messed arround with 5e a lot? I've a staunch supporter of 4e, I liked kinda tactical game they turned combat into, and non-combat storytelling is kinda mechanics indifferent anyway.

lalapaluza1412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluttershy_xxx: if you want to watch actual games there are a lot of good one's on youtube. i would say check out clack click bang and woodwwad to start with they are both involved with the youtube rpg brigade.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Corevi

@skithus: I just got the Players Handbook for 5e but it seems very similar to Pathfinder/DnD 3.5e which I have played a lot.

I went through the character creation process for a sorcerer and the only major differences were bloodlines being replaced with sorcerous origins (of which there are only 2), the addition of backgrounds and a very significant deemphasis on feats.

lalapaluza1412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i have the monster manual and the players hand book for 5e. this sounds interesting but i would need to see about things time zones and stuff, i would be willing to gm although iv only done it a few times and im not that great

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

D&D plays a lot like every edition except 4th edition, I'm afraid. It's even more streamlined than 3.5/Pathfinder so feels almost like 1st or 2nd edition, while maintaining some of the rules clarity and balance of modern games.

I like 4th edition quite a bit but it is it's own type of game.

So anyway Sunday at 9! Anyone should be able to jump into the google hangout and just watch if they want.

Krevee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@jaycrockett:

What time zone? And if anyone drops or you have extra space, I would be happy to join in!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krevee: EST, and I'm pretty sure we already have room for 1 more.

Avatar image for physicalscience
physicalscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be pretty interested in playing. I am in Eastern Time zone and have usually Monday-Wednesday evenings free. I have never played D&D before.

Skithus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, I was a big fan of 2e, hated 3e, not a fan of pathfinder, massively unbalanced. Guess i'll just be sticking with 4e with my group. And Numenera

LtTibbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those interested in pre-generated characters to either speed up your game or provide inspiration, here's a thread from the wizards of the coast forum full of community created characters ready for play complete with backgrounds and back stories.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/player-help/threads/4109696

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whitacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/c5savadkd86adhcb6n4h9cbgres

We are starting the event! feel free to watch us!

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitacer: This is a great idea, shame I stumbled onto it after it has already kicked into gear. I'd love to join on another occasion if you are alright with welcoming another "newbie" to the proverbial table.

I know the 3.5 e rules by heart as I played way too much of the Black Isle games (BG2, Planescape, Icewind Dale, etc.) But haven't tackled 5e at any point.

Xymbiot3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CarpeNoctem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Walked upon this too late it seems. Would be interested in joining if everything works out and you guys decide to go again.

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I really wanted to get in on this too, but it seems I missed it. Might have been too busy anyway. Bummer; I bought a cape and everything.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Man, I really miss playing D&D.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it looks like you have three people already, getting another 1-2 would be enough to start another game going.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I'm totally down for doing this with others if we can get a game master!