#1 Posted by 1xmilox1 (42 posts) -

I thought I remembered open to public for a year or so and never got a chance to go. This year I have to be in L.A. from June 1-8 and was wondering if there is a way to get in?

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (34578 posts) -

There probably isn't. E3 has always been a press-only event.

#3 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

It hasn't always been a press-only event, but it has been for a number of years now.

#4 Posted by SuperSambo (2837 posts) -

It must have been a massive pain for it to be open to the public, however much I want it to be again.

#5 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

For the companies, E3 is the biggest pain in the ass you could ever imagine.

#6 Posted by MattyFTM (14240 posts) -

@Guided_By_Tigers said:

@Video_Game_King said:

It hasn't always been a press-only event, but it has been for a number of years now.

E3 was always supposed to be an industry-only event, it was just terribly enforced until 2007. It got to the point where anyone could get in, which totally defeated the point of the show.

#7 Posted by Gamer_152 (13970 posts) -

Yeah, E3 was always meant to be a thing purely for industry people but there was a time where anyone could show up and more or less say "I do a video games blog" and get in. That seems to no longer be the case and you definitely won't get in unless you are part of the industry or work for a reputable site.

#8 Posted by 1xmilox1 (42 posts) -

Ah, damn. I always wanted to go and found it ironic it was on the same days I have to meet my gfs parents for the first time, I figured it was fate. It was just just fate flippin me the bird.

#9 Posted by GooieGreen (452 posts) -

@SuperSambo: Believe me when I tell you it is a massive pain in the ass when it is closed to the public. They need to either rethink who/how many people they let in per outlet or reducing the amount of space each company can have in the main halls. I went the past two years and it was a total clusterfuck of GameStop employees and pissed off European outlets that were even smaller than the site I worked at.

#10 Posted by 1xmilox1 (42 posts) -

I thought it was closed to public then maybe for a year when people were losing interest in it they opened it to public for half the days.

#11 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

You could put up a site with a couple game reviews and some articles, then you're a game journalist and you can get in.

#12 Posted by GaspoweR (2508 posts) -

Nope you might be thinking of a different event. Gamescom i believe has that format, but not in E3. Also, its in Germany I believe.

#13 Posted by Kraznor (1573 posts) -

Well, here is the registration page. Looks like you can buy your way in for 995 dollars. Have fun!

#14 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@GooieGreen said:

@SuperSambo: Believe me when I tell you it is a massive pain in the ass when it is closed to the public. They need to either rethink who/how many people they let in per outlet or reducing the amount of space each company can have in the main halls. I went the past two years and it was a total clusterfuck of GameStop employees and pissed off European outlets that were even smaller than the site I worked at.

yeah gamestop employees should not be allowed in to E3. I don't see the point of it at all.
Either that or get rid of the stuff that's sole purpose is to clog up the place.  You can still have booth babes, but not the wait in line for an hour to have your picture taken on this throne thing.
#15 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@Kraznor said:

Well, here is the registration page. Looks like you can buy your way in for 995 dollars. Have fun!

you can get into TGS for one day for 12 dollars.
#16 Posted by thornie (155 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

You could put up a site with a couple game reviews and some articles, then you're a game journalist and you can get in.

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. The E3 committee checks your sites unique visitors per month stats along with other site metrics to determine wether or not you are eligible. Easiest way to get in to E3 is to work at a Gamestop retailer. Although, I hear they are starting to crack down on those people as well.

#17 Posted by Harkat (1090 posts) -

Apparently, Gamescom press access is even harder to get than than E3 access.

#18 Posted by Marino (4099 posts) -

@1xmilox1: As many have already stated, E3 was never open to public. The rules were just more lax than they are now. It's a common misconception though, and I'm not totally sure how it got started. I was able to go from 1997 to 2006 mainly because I knew someone at Sony who could get me one of their company passes. A few times I got in because I used to work at Babbage's/GameStop, but you can't even do that anymore.

Staff
#19 Posted by Marino (4099 posts) -

@Kraznor said:

You still have to have the credentials required. You can't simply buy a pass.

Staff
#20 Posted by GooieGreen (452 posts) -

@Totori said:

@GooieGreen said:

yeah gamestop employees should not be allowed in to E3. I don't see the point of it at all. Either that or get rid of the stuff that's sole purpose is to clog up the place. You can still have booth babes, but not the wait in line for an hour to have your picture taken on this throne thing.

Don't need $200k cars and open amphitheaters for trailers, either :)

#21 Posted by Toms115 (2314 posts) -

just wait for the next pax.

#22 Posted by FritzDude (2216 posts) -

You could always use Playstation Home, if Sony still supports this idea this year too?

#23 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

@1xmilox1: Dude, if you're in LA that week, just go for it. Try to talk your way in there, jump off walls, escape the dogs, bribe the guards, whatever. Do it and make a journal right here on Giant Bomb. Success guaranteed.

At least, that's what I would have done if I were in LA.

#24 Posted by Demoskinos (13832 posts) -

Getting press credentials isn't THAT hard but you do have to have them.

#25 Posted by Khann (2609 posts) -

Why do companies spend a ridiculous amount of money for booths at a PRESS event?

Crazy shit.

#26 Posted by RoyCampbell (1095 posts) -

It seems any clown claiming they're a "journalist" can get into E3, enforced rules or not.

#27 Posted by alternate (2654 posts) -
#28 Posted by alternate (2654 posts) -

@Khann said:

Why do companies spend a ridiculous amount of money for booths at a PRESS event?

Crazy shit.

Likely because a lot of those press shoot video now. Even the mainstream media go to E3, if only to shoot 5 minutes of B roll. I imagine putting on a good show for the cameras reaches more people than a booth at a public event like PAX.

#29 Posted by Wikitoups (710 posts) -

Wasn't that thing called e for all ?

#30 Posted by DarthOrange (3495 posts) -

Stand outside the Convention Center and wait for Gabe Newell to enter. He seems like a cool dude, he would probably be willing to tell the officials that you are a member of Valve if you ask nicely.

#31 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4866 posts) -

@Guided_By_Tigers said:

@Video_Game_King said:

No real gamer wants to attend anyway, it's really over the top rushing people everywhere, and it's very business-y, not much personal talking to devs, just interviews and meetings. The best way to do E3 is livestreaming the conferences of course. Any other event like PAX its a different story.

#32 Posted by 1xmilox1 (42 posts) -

I would totally follow Winternets idea just for the nostalgia. However, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to convince my gf to spend a day standing in lines and slipping roofies in the drinks of the GB staff to steal their press pass. jk

#33 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2780 posts) -

E3 the dream: You get to play awesome games before everybody else and it's a giant party with kickass booth babes and industry insiders who can get you "the in" to work as a videogames something or other. Also free swag.

E3 the reality: You get to wait in long ass lines to play a broken ass "game" in alpha form (if you're lucky) or something custom tailored for E3 that may or may not make it to the retail release. The booth babes hate your fucking guts. The industry insiders think you are a waste of valuable convention space and would rather you fuck off. Giant headache ensues. Also free swag.

Still wanna go?...

#34 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@Khann said:

Crazy shit.

Because its the biggest event of the year. Even if it is a press event, there are about a million cameras shooting everything.

#35 Posted by Khann (2609 posts) -

@NickL said:

@Khann said:

Crazy shit.

Because its the biggest event of the year. Even if it is a press event, there are about a million cameras shooting everything.

you shut your whore mouth

#36 Posted by Generiko (446 posts) -

hire some hookers and tell them to distract the guards and then you have your chance to get in

#37 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

I've never been to E3, but I sure hope they open E3 to public audience one day, so I can finally go there. I always wanted to met Todd Howard.

#38 Posted by 1xmilox1 (42 posts) -

Yes I do. I have heard all the horror stories, however I figure it's like losing your virginity. Your so excited for it to happen then when it finally does it's usually a catastrophe but at least you get a story to tell your friends. Alas, I will walk by and take pictures at least.

#39 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (914 posts) -

Tell them you know the mayor of Boston, they should let you in.

#40 Posted by Marino (4099 posts) -

@InternetCrab said:

I've never been to E3, but I sure hope they open E3 to public audience one day, so I can finally go there. I always wanted to met Todd Howard.

Go to PAX.

Staff
#41 Posted by C_Rakestraw (803 posts) -

@Wikitoups said:

Wasn't that thing called e for all ?

That was some other smaller-scale, short-lived event, I think.