EA Wins Worst Company Of The Year twice in a row.

• 116 results
SuperFusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SuperFusion

So the consumerist (consumerist.com) awarded EA with a Worst Company Of The Year Award, making them win the title twice in a row. I have seen some discussion which focuses on how EA should not have received this award considering the other companies that were in the running. (Comcast, TicketMaster, BoA) I believe that it speaks volumes that EA won again over all those companies, not because there was a vocal minority who voted because of a busted game, forced online play or disappointing ending, but rather because of their horrible business practices. Also, they have won last year, which makes it even worse considering EA would have taken their mistakes in consideration. What do you guys think of this? Should EA have won this award or do you think otherwise?

EDIT: Here's the article. http://consumerist.com/2013/04/09/ea-makes-worst-company-in-america-history-wins-title-for-second-year-in-a-row/

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Of course not. The internet is fucking stupid, on average.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Im sure there are worst companies than EA out there. As far as video game companies though they are probably the worst at this point. Don't give a shit about consumerist or their awards though to be honest.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Milkman

Yeah, my house may be foreclosed but have you seen these Sim City servers?!

I'd love to take a poll of all the people who voted for EA and see how many of them have a mortgage.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OfficeGamer

Clearly EA is the worst video game company in recorded history, however it is also clear that somehow, that survey attracts mostly gamers, because video games just aren't as big a deal as phone services and banks that rip you off..

So the people voting obviously are gamers who actively take the survey/poll to take EA down, I really doubt that the survey is equally taken by all kinds of people, because then a small portion would give a shit about a games company

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#6  Edited By Kidavenger

They probably shouldn't have won it, but even being nominated is pretty bad and they really need to take a hard look at what they are doing because they clearly aren't getting the message and I think they are a lot closer to becoming THQ than they are to Activision at this point and that's just sad.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Nilazz

It's insane, EA is far from the worst company of the year, they make/publish games. They didn't kill any babies. ( that I know of )

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Zirilius

Nice to see the Poo Cruise and Bank of America get a pass because you know Video games are evil right?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

Yeah, my house may be foreclosed but have you seen these Sim City servers?!

I'd love to take a poll of all the people who voted for EA and see how many of them have a mortgage.

This is so stupid, how is it anyone's fault but your own if your house is getting foreclosed on, take some responsibility for your actions.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Isn't there already a thread on this?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Bollard

In other news: America wins Dumbest Country of the Year twice in a row! :P

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By chilibean_3

They probably have no business winning that award but they are still pretty shitty. Like, really shitty. But that letter from Moore show they don't care.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kidavenger

@milkman: Are you seriously trying to say that people who are paying their mortgages on time are getting their houses taken away?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice. Now they just have to fuck everything up again next year and they get to keep the trophy!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Milkman
natedawg_kz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By natedawg_kz

This is just stupid, not only are there worst companies out there, there are worse video game companies. At least EA publish awesome franchises unlike Activision who shit out CoD and license titles every year.

Sure, The SimCity launched sucked and the micro-transactions idea is disgusting but there are not the worst company in America by far, Everyone needs to get over it and grow up.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18  Edited By JasonR86

The voters have no idea what 'perspective' is.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By jay_ray

In other news: America wins Dumbest Country of the Year twice in a row! :P

Only twice?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last year they won because of the god damn ME3 ending, who cares it's a internet poll that has probably been hijacked with VPN's for fake voting.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Quarters

Second year in a row, it's still one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

Hawkerace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hawkerace

I think the point is, EA is probably the only one who would actually care about this trophy/worst company in 'murrikuh showbiz. So it's probably just spite from random people who probably voted it, or teens/young adults who haven't dealt with actual bad companies. That and all of the Bank of America's victims probably don't have internet access anymore.

But, EA games are pretty butts though, and I'm not some homophobic nerd rager for saying that, Peter Moore.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a consumer-facing unpopularity contest based on perception of and experience with consumer products and services. That people can't get past the name of it and want to argue the validity of an internet popularity poll is possibly the dumbest aspect of the whole affair.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Sometimes I feel like perspective is one of the biggest things missing with a lot of people gamers on the internet. Maybe it's hard to get that when you're sitting at a keyboard. I dunno. Regardless, this is beyond absurd.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Green_Incarnate

How about Own3d who didn't pay any of its streamers and eventually went bankrupt.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Sometimes I feel like perspective is one of the biggest things missing with a lot of people gamers on the internet. Maybe it's hard to get that when you're sitting at a keyboard. I dunno. Regardless, this is beyond absurd.

Well put.

Avatar image for jediknight00719
jediknight00719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

I'm not sure if EA should have won against Bank of America, since some of the practices BofA is doing affects people's lives. But i definitely see EA is a bit worse than Ticketmaster and Comcast (barely).

Ticketmaster and Comcast are both pretty terrible. Ticketmaster with those outrageous fees and Comcast with those deals they give and then 6 months later bump it up without you knowing (such a crappy business model). But at least both companies services work.

EA was selling a service that didn't work in its first couple of weeks. I think if the Sim city server issues didn't happen i don't think they would be here. If they were i would be pissed at the internet.

Eh i'm still annoyed. EA is worse than BofA? i don't think so, but then this whole competition is crap anyway. We don't need a tournament to know what businesses are bad.

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course not. The internet is fucking stupid, on average.

Said it perfectly. Anyone who thinks EA is the worst company in the country is out of touch with reality.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

This award has power because you give it power. If i wanted, I could ask the whole internet who is the worst, of my pre selected companies, chosen by me, in America. And come up with an answer in a day.

This is a ploy to get people to come to their site, it is using your hate. It is the same reason NEWS only reports on crimes, and politics, and not people going and visiting hospitals or the reduction of crime.

An old news room saying: If it bleeds, it leads.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@superfusion said:

I believe that it speaks volumes that EA won again over all those companies, not because there was a vocal minority who voted because of a busted game, forced online play or disappointing ending, but rather because of their horrible business practices.

I think EA has been making some dumb and dubious moves, but I think you probably had it right the first time.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The internet is fucking stupid, on average.

I love this sentence.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Guys, Microtransactions foreclosed my house, and server issues violated my person. Worst company in america? ABSOLUTELY. INTERNET RAGE MACHINE GO.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont know about you guys, but I rely on internet polls to tell me what the worst companies are. Saves me so much time on reading news.

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By twigger89

I hope no one posted this already

No Caption Provided

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By casper_

it may be an incredible overreaction but it is obviously seated in some genuine dissatisfaction on the customers part and that doesn't deserve to be belittled with "oh stupid internet" or whatever

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ben_H

EA: Worse than Monsanto and ExxonMobil.

Yikes.

@casper_ said:

it may be an incredible overreaction but it is obviously seated in some genuine dissatisfaction on the customers part and that doesn't deserve to be belittled with "oh stupid internet" or whatever

Except it totally does get to be belittled as people being idiots, because they are and they need to open their eyes. EA is a rotten company. EA, however, has not poisoned rivers, released carcinogenic chemicals into the water supply, caused huge increases in cancer in towns because of careless practices, or forced a monopoly on farm seed while suing farmers who don't use their seed. They haven't ruined people's lives and forced them out of their homes, they haven't gambled with other people's money and then punished those people when the gambling didn't work. EA made some crappy games, that's it.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By coolarman

I hope no one posted this already

No Caption Provided

That is the most passive aggressive thing I have read

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@casper_ said:

Yes it does. There are a lot of companies in the world. Some are good. Some are bad. Some are evil. EA isn't evil. So, yeah, consumerist deserves all of the shit they got. And then some. They are a fucking joke site run by people with no sense of perspective or reality of what is actually 'bad'. This continual hate of EA while companies like Bank of America gets a wag of the finger from them tells me that their ability to be professional is entirely absent.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whiny internet babies. Bank of America kicked people out of their homes and used 'bots to decide who went first. Comcast and Time Warner spy on their customers and turn that information over to the government without a court order. Walmart wages war on small local business, pays its employees poorly, and uses unethical means to maintain its business nationally and internationally. EA makes games, they do not destroy lives like the other contenders. EA does some dumb things but in the grand scope of all those businesses in the pool, it shouldn't have gotten out of the first round.

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coolarman: I didn't actually write it (actually got it from Cliffy B) but I think it pretty accurately shows just how stupid that competition is.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ShadowConqueror

EA is not the worst company, nor it is it even close. It is quite assy, though.

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By thebipsnbeeps

EA shouldn't have even been nominated if they're getting pitted against companies that make poor decisions to the point of harming our environment or economy. Worst thing is that you don't buy the stupid game EA publishes, geez.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Worst Video Game Company of the Year? Sure.

Worst overall Company of the Year? Unlikely.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By breadfan

I hate the internet.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By oraknabo

As dumb as this is, there has to be a point where they decide to change a little to keep from getting on the list again, right?

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breadfan said:

I hate the internet.

Literally, and not internet-literally, what I was about to post.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By JasonR86

@oraknabo said:

As dumb as this is, there has to be a point where they decide to change a little to keep from getting on the list again, right?

Bribe the people at consumerist?

toolus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oraknabo No because the same idiots that voted for them will continue to buy their products. The fact that they are even on this list to begin with is disgusting and is just a cheap ploy to get people to go to that shitty site.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius said:

Nice to see the Poo Cruise and Bank of America get a pass because you know Video games are evil right?

Hey, you can go ahead and let me get stranded in the middle of the ocean or wrongfully foreclose on my house, but day-1 DLC? That's where I draw the line.