#1 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

#2 Posted by JOURN3Y (230 posts) -

The only crappy thing about voting early is not getting the sticker that says I voted.

#3 Edited by Toxeia (729 posts) -

So I get that voting is important, but I'm tired of this sudden push to vote on Nov. 6th. There's already predictions and news stories coming out about how awful the lines will be. Worse, it's <party here>'s fault and it's to prevent people from casting their vote.

It's infuriating to me to see that, especially where I live. I don't know if it's a regional thing or what, but where I live there is a period spanning the 2 weeks before the week in which Election Day sits where I can go literally ANYWHERE in my county and fill out a ballot. Election day polling lines can be these awful experiences in which you share the same air with assholes (anyone you share a line with is an asshole, law of physics), are exposed to any number of germ factories dragged along by their parents, and have to wait (in some cases up to 5 hours). In sharp contrast early voting polling places are usually quite quiet and empty, save for the lovely old couple that are sitting behind a table and helping you fill out forms to place your vote. Depending on the people working the polling places you might even get cookies. This lady next to city hall makes AMAZING chocolate chip cookies. You get in and out, max 5 minutes, and then you're done. That's it, you don't have to dread the polling lines on election day.

So I'm just curious about this. Is it that people are irresponsible with their time and will complain and blame others for what's ultimately their fault? Granted, certain circumstances that make you busy the entirety of the early voting period are a bummer, but at least it shortens the line on election day. Or is it just that there's no other choice, and your city/county/state prefers for the polling place to be a one day Hellscape in which all humanity is strained and crushed?

Edit: I guess I should have written that out before hand. Now it looks like I'm some chump. Thanks @JOURN3Y :( Also, I feel almost bad about not putting an option for people who are unable to vote (due either to age, or previous convictions). However, you shouldn't be voting in the first place, hands off this poll.

#4 Posted by Butano (1738 posts) -

Voted absentee about a week or two ago. Whole lot easier than driving to your place to vote and waiting in line.

#5 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

Eww no, I mean C.

#6 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

@Butano: On absentee voting do you have to give a reason that you'll be out of your polling precinct or anything? Or can you just straight up request a ballot be mailed to you?

#7 Posted by mlarrabee (2951 posts) -

Mailed in a couple of weeks ago.

Now I'm just waiting for the public who didn't to shut up.

#8 Posted by WilliamHenry (1203 posts) -

Already voted by mail last week. If you're registered, vote.

#9 Edited by Butano (1738 posts) -

@Toxeia: Nope. You just request it, at least in my county. Here's the form I had to fill out to get all the voting documents. They send the ballot to you and all you do is fill it out and pay the postage. It's permanent until I miss two general elections, then I would have to fill out another form.

#10 Posted by wemibelec90 (1662 posts) -

Wasn't planning on it but they sent me forms so I could request an absentee ballot and figured why the hell not?

#11 Posted by SSully (4185 posts) -

I am still amazed that they don't have a system to do this shit online yet.

#12 Posted by EXTomar (4726 posts) -

Although tangential, I wonder why more states don't do mail in ballots instead. Then we don't need to have polling stations and only need to put the monitors in one place.

#13 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

The ballots in Oregon are mail in, so I'm not 100% sure, either way I have voted.

#14 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

I early voted for Barack The Islamic Shock Obama at the mall like 3 days ago

#15 Posted by WilliamHenry (1203 posts) -

@SSully said:

I'm sure it will get there eventually. I don't think it can be trusted at this point in time though. How exactly would you differentiate between voters?

#16 Posted by DoctorTran (1562 posts) -

I voted by mail about two weeks ago.

#17 Posted by Muerthoz (350 posts) -

Voted absentee last week at the courthouse.

#18 Posted by SSully (4185 posts) -

@WilliamHenry said:

@SSully said:

I'm sure it will get there eventually. I don't think it can be trusted at this point in time though. How exactly would you differentiate between voters?

Go by one of the million ID numbers we have as citizens, be it Social Security number, drivers licence ID number, State ID number, etc. The problem would be frauds, so they would need a two step authentication such as giving you a unique code to put in before you vote that is mailed, emailed, or generated from a phone app such as how blizzard or google do two step authentication.

#19 Posted by MC_Hify (336 posts) -
@SSully said:

You can vote by email in New Jersey this year apparently.
#20 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1576 posts) -

After early voting for the first time I don't understand why you wouldn't do it. It's so much faster.

#21 Posted by jsnyder82 (733 posts) -

I sent my ballot in over a week ago. Now I'm actively shielding myself from all news for the next couple days.

#22 Posted by Slag (4366 posts) -

I don't vote early unless I have to, as I've actually changed my mind by things that happen in the final week before, especially on local issues.

I don't mind waiting in line if it means I do the best job I can in evaluating my options.