Earthquake / 72 Hour Kits

mobius006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mobius006

Since most of the GB staff was talking about this, I wanted to share some of my kit. I started a thread on another site similar to this, and hopefully pasted the info correctly.

Home Kit

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

My home kit overall has less packed in at as I have some stuff like water and more canned food local. I keep it a bit light just in case I need to grab it fast to get to my car, which is below.

It has the basics like a good medical kit, spare ziplock bags, rope, glow sticks, water, water tablets,pens, food and knife.

I keep pictures and information on my dogs, as well as paper with my number preprinted on it. Prepackaged dog food as well, that expires once a year, so easy to replace and carry.

Some cool items Amazon Links

No Caption Provided

Ambient Weather WR-111B Emergency Solar Hand Crank AM/FM/NOAA Digital Radio, Flashlight

Charge cellphone, is a radio, and led light. Works great, and no issues with hand crank. I want to upgrade to the larger version, and add this to my car.

No Caption Provided

Coleman Expedition First Aid Kit

Car Kit

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The car kit of course has a bit more inside it. I have a knife specifically that can also break glass with part of it's handle. The medkit has stuff for humans and animals inside, along with bowls for them to drink from and extra collars.

Basics like water, food, more dog food, led flash light, spare batteries, ponchos, thermal blankets, radio.

I have a GBA as well in case I'm bored and get stuck somewhere. Won't drain my cell that way.

Cool Stuff

No Caption Provided

Mini Cree Led Flashlight

No Caption Provided

Sony ICF-S10MK2 Pocket AM/FM Radio

No Caption Provided

SOG Specialty Knives & Tools FF25-CP Escape Knife

Stuff I Need

I Have a bag with spare clothing in my car as well as spare glasses. At home I am also 'Team Bat' (not team Knife) and have a small sized in length bat so I can get a full swing inside hallways.

I also would like to get a solar panel, but the 100+ dollars each.

Since taking these pictures I also have 1 months supply of Military MREs at home. As well as two cases of bottle water at all times.

Its important to note that you should add to and check your bag at least once a year. I do mine at the start of the year to keep it simple, as the dog food expires as well as others things could go bad.

Feel free to add your own ideas as well. My kit above is about 350 dollars worth of items. I started out with about 200 worth, and add to it each year.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

I have similar stuff, but I keep a few cases of protein bars instead. I just can't stand MRE's anymore, and protein bars are more portable and easier to eat on the go, and also easier to give to others to eat in an emergency without relaying instructions on how to use the MRE heater. Bars are just way more convenient, too. Especially if you haven't eaten in awhile and all of a sudden need to grab your stuff and move, you can start eating one in seconds to get some energy that you're going to need later while hiking, carrying a bunch of stuff, or fighting off zombies.

I also keep instant coffee packets, splenda, a couple bags of jolly ranchers, those Crystal Light bottled water flavor packets, and other little treats. People take stuff like that for granted but after a few days with just water and protein bars, a few candies or a cup of coffee can do wonders for morale. Also...baby wipes so you can wipe down at least your face & neck if you haven't showered for awhile, it'll make you feel worlds better and you can do that while moving or if you're without spare water, too. I also have a small bottle of iodine tablets to purify water if things get really bad.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#3 FinalDasa  Moderator

Living in Florida there's always some small things you should keep around just in case a hurricane does show up. Usually though you have some warning, at least a day or so, before any storm hits but that doesn't mean you should assume everything you need will be available.

A good flashlight, something useful inside and out, and several candles help. You don't realize how dark it gets when you have lamps you can flip on and off but light is never a bad idea. I almost always have some canned food in my cabinet but that and water would be my first purchase on any preparedness trip. My mom owns a battery powered radio/TV but I'm thinking of eventually getting a crank powered one. Information is incredibly important for the 48-72 hours you could be without help. So know when help is available, and where it is available, is super vital.

Oh and a bottle of whiskey never hurts.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

I'd rather die than eat canned beans.

...I don't think I'm joking.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What? Baked beans are amazing.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By toowalrus

@toowalrus said:

Ugh, no. They'll probably give me crippling childhood flashbacks from day-care or church pot-lucks. I can barely stomach the smell or sight of them, much less the taste or texture. I'm not a picky eater either, I'll eat most stuff and I'll try anything once. There's just this particular group of foods I can't deal with. Canned string beans and creamed corn are on this list, too. I don't know what it is about that stuff.

OneLoneClone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool stuff. You need more water, tho.

RE:solar ...I have Brunton Solar roll... Flexible waterproof solar panel, and you can daisy chain them. Used to use them at burning man, now I use them on river trips.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flacracker said:

@toowalrus said:

Ugh, no. They'll probably give me crippling childhood flashbacks from day-care or church pot-lucks. I can barely stomach the smell or sight of them, much less the taste or texture. I'm not a picky eater either, I'll eat most stuff and I'll try anything once. There's just this particular group of foods I can't deal with. Canned string beans and creamed corn are on this list, too. I don't know what it is about that stuff.

What? Cream corn is amazing.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vuud

You don't need any of that shit.

Gun, bullets, beef jerky, cigarettes. You're set.

-And you really don't need all that dog crap. Dog should be the first thing on the menu that night.

helvetica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to live in California, and after one day learning about making an earthquake preparedness kit in school, I went home and packed a lunchbox with some granola bars and other snacks. I liked milk more than water, so I filled up the thermos with milk, packed it all up, and shoved it under my bed. I checked on it two months later. The milk was a bad idea.

Nowadays I have a car kit in case I'm ever stuck in a snow storm. I have a blanket, snacks, a poncho, duct tape, about 12 bottles of water, scissors, non-DEET bug spray (it does work), a spiffy hat, a yoga mat, and a crank-powered radio that is also a flashlight and can also charge my cell phone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

You need a lot more water; hand sanitizer is always a good idea. Also a good idea is a book on medicine, like techniques to make splints, take care of wounds, gashes, etc. I also keep on my backpack a small laminated book of different types of knots and how to tie them. Oh, and get a shotgun.

Here's the medical guide that I have

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't bother. I am fat and old. If something happens that causes riots, looting, robberies, or more than three days without food or water, I'm probably going to die anyway. *shrug*

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SomeJerk

I've got a collection of knives and diplomas in brainwashing. Other people are my earthquake kits.

I also watched all of MacGuyver as a kid.. (and I'll gut looters who clearly go for non-essential items, F them)

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see the pounds of weed, so this kit is doomed.

mobius006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You need a lot more water; hand sanitizer is always a good idea. Also a good idea is a book on medicine, like techniques to make splints, take care of wounds, gashes, etc. I also keep on my backpack a small laminated book of different types of knots and how to tie them. Oh, and get a shotgun.

Here's the medical guide that I have

Thanks!

Water wise its just to get back home to where I have more, the home bag has some in it just in case I need to take it in a hurry somewhere as well.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

The last time there was a real emergency where I'm from, they sent the military in. Everybody was offering them food because our freezers didn't have power and we had all this food thawing out. The only thing they really did was build three bridges and air drop medicine and baby formula to the individuals that needed it.