Effective....free anti-virus software

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 21

Hello all...got a new laptop a while back and I want to protect it before I get the chance to get a better anti-virus program...what would you guys say is the best free anti-virus software for download?  Thanks for the help gents.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By thatfrood

Windows Defender does a perfectly fine job. You should already have that if you are running windows.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

Assuming you have a genuine copy of Windows 7, Microsoft Security Essentials is free and works well. Just google it.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By blueduck
@chocolaterhinovampire said:
" Hello all...got a new laptop a while back and I want to protect it before I get the chance to get a better anti-virus program...what would you guys say is the best free anti-virus software for download?  Thanks for the help gents. "
Woh, I thought only computer illiterate people over 30 still used anti-virus software. The more you know!
Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thank you everyone

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By nintendoeats
@blueduck said:

" @chocolaterhinovampire said:

" Hello all...got a new laptop a while back and I want to protect it before I get the chance to get a better anti-virus program...what would you guys say is the best free anti-virus software for download?  Thanks for the help gents. "

Woh, I thought only computer illiterate people over 30 still used anti-virus software. The more you know! "
Guess what: If your girlfriend got aids because she was cheating on you, that doesn't mean that you won't get it because that "didn't count." Get some damned antivirus.

I recently switched from AVG to Microsoft security essentials and I guess it works...It's kind of hard to tell. Maximum PC did a big shootout recently and that was their favorite free option.

EDIT: 
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/kill
blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By blueduck
@nintendoeats said:
" @blueduck said:
" @chocolaterhinovampire said:
Woh, I thought only computer illiterate people over 30 still used anti-virus software. The more you know! "
Guess what: If your girlfriend got aids because she was cheating on you, that doesn't mean that you won't get it because that "didn't count." Get some damned antivirus.I recently switched from AVG to Microsoft security essentials and I guess it works...It's kind of hard to tell. Maximum PC did a big shootout recently and that was their favorite free option. "
Sounds like you're computer illiterate and over 30! Actually, sounds like you're illiterate and over 30. 
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nintendoeats
@blueduck: I am neither of those things, so clearly there is a flaw in your assumptions.
blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By blueduck
@nintendoeats said:

Guess what: If your girlfriend got aids because she was cheating on you, that doesn't mean that you won't get it because that "didn't count." Get some damned antivirus.

No way my assumptions were valid, I mean look at the sentence you typed. =)
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nintendoeats
@blueduck said:
" @nintendoeats said:

No way my assumptions were valid, I mean look at the sentence you typed. =) "
Um...I used the word "that" too many times in one sentence. Otherwise I thought the analogy was quite clear.
blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By blueduck
@nintendoeats said:
" @blueduck said:
" @nintendoeats said:

No way my assumptions were valid, I mean look at the sentence you typed. =) "
Um...I used the word "that" too many times in one sentence. Otherwise I thought the analogy was quite clear. "
Please explain your analogy to me because I don't get it at all.
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By melcene
@chocolaterhinovampire: Depending on your ISP, they may also provide antivirus software for free.  For example, all Comcast customers can get Norton Security Suite for free.
mrv321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mrv321

Ubuntu
Fedora
Mint
Arch
Debian
OpenSUSE

Choose one, you could LITRALLY download porm from a torrent site in Russia, that you got to from a link sent to you by a spam email, and the porm is in an executable and you'd still be safe.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jking47

I use avast! It has worked well for me. There is no good reason not to get an anti-virus program, quit trying to look cool blueduck

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nintendoeats
@blueduck: You go to, say, the PSN website. Unbeknownst to you, somebody has hacked the PSN website and included some clever virus. You now have a virus on your computer from going to a website that you thought was totally secure. Regardless of whether or not you did anything dumb or risky, you still have a virus.
blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By blueduck
@jking47 said:
" I use avast! It has worked well for me. There is no good reason not to get an anti-virus program, quit trying to look cool blueduck "
You  joking me dude! You know how many times I've gotten laid by letting some chick know I don't use anti-virus software.
Scribbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Scribbly

I use Avast and it seems to work really well without consuming too many resources. I've heard good things about Security Essentials too, but awful awful things about Norton, McAfee, ESET and pretty much every paid option :P

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nintendoeats
@mrv321: ...dude, please don't make this an OSwars thread.
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@jking47 said:
" I use avast! It has worked well for me. There is no good reason not to get an anti-virus program, quit trying to look cool blueduck "
Both of these things are true. 
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Microsoft Security Essentials has definitely taken over as the definitive Windows anti-virus tool. AVG used to be pretty good, but in recent years the free version has become something roughly resembling ad-ware trying to get you to buy the full version.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@blueduck: Quit being a dick and derailing the topic. If you want to troll & generally be a douche, find somewhere else to do it, it's not welcome on Giant Bomb.

As for the topic, I use AVG and have never had any trouble. I've heard good things about Microsoft Security Essentials too, but I've never used it myself. I would recommend against Avast, though. In my experience, it provides waaay too many false positives.
Bullitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bullitus

I use Avira Antivir and it is great. Not a single problem with it. Plus it's light on memory/cpu.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@MattyFTM: moar liek MattyFTW mirite?! Anywho. I've had good experiences with Malware Bytes. It has a free version that works well and a paid version. 
Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vexxan

Been rolling with AVG for a while, still works like a charm.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Contro
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

AVG has served me well for years, I recommend it.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By ZimboDK

I use Avast. It has pirate speak!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By AlexW00d

Used to use AVG free, then got Norton 360 with a laptop, now I'm rocking Avast. I'd recommend avast from those three. AVG is a bit of a resource hog and flags almost everything. Norton is a good bit of kit, but again for something running all the time it is a resource hog and again flags mosts websites. Other than a botched definition the other week, i've yet to see a single thing from Avast.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By Subjugation

I must be the only person that uses Malware Bytes. I like it though, and this comes from someone who used to use AVG.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By thehexeditor

Sorry but using my [COMPUTER]  just doesn't feel the same when I slip on [AN ANTIVIRUS SOLUTION].
I'd rather pull out, i mean shut down, when things get dangerous.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MeierTheRed

On my Windows 7 machine i use AVG. And put that on my wife's machine too. Never had a issue with it. 

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By McGhee
@chocolaterhinovampire: 
AVG sucks now. Go with AVAST!
JordanK85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JordanK85

I don't recommend only using one program. I recommend Avast + Malware Bytes Anti-Malware. I used to use AVG but it didn't detect a virus I obviously had; even after updating. So I switched to Avast and that's been the best that I've tried. However, you'll still need Malware Bytes to detect nasty things that an anti-virus program won't.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Wolverine

Microsoft Security Essentials is an excellent anit-virus software.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By hexogen

Microsoft Security Essentials is the one I recommend to most people. It's simple to install, and effective/unobtrusive with default settings. I personally prefer Avast because it has a few features MSE doesn't (automatically sandboxes suspicious executables, has browser-neutral web protection, and network protection on Win XP instead of just Vista/7). But some of the default features and settings are kind of annoying (installs a gadget on your desktop that I find to be useless, talks to you every time it updates definitions, etc.). With a few minutes of configuration I can get it exactly how I want it, but not everyone wants to deal with that. Also, you have to re-register every year or else it stops updating the definitions. It only involves typing in your name and email but some people have a habit of totally ignoring the AV's pleas to register.

So basically, if you just want to install it and be done with it, MSE is the way to go. If you don't mind messing around with the settings to get it exactly how you want it, Avast offers more features, which should theoretically translate to better protection. In reality, it probably doesn't, but it makes me feel more secure, so I guess that's something.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Twisted_Scot
@blueduck said:
" @jking47 said:
You  joking me dude! You know how many times I've gotten laid by letting some chick know I don't use anti-virus software. "
2.0?
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By xyzygy

I use AVG 2011 (didn't pay for it though, are you crazy?) and it works awesome. 

When I did my first anti-rootkit run it found 700 files in my registry. Crazy.
eezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By eezo

best anti-virus i know of is common sense... i literally have NO protection on my pc, and i haven't got any virus' or anything since i got my pc 3 years ago

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By StrikeALight

MSE has served me well since upgrading to Win7. Quick, light footprint and does the job.

SteHewitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SteHewitt

Avast seems to be pretty good, although "VIRUS DATABASE HAS BEEN UPDATED" never fails to scare the crap outta me