• 71 results
#1 Posted by tariqari (430 posts) -

I can't believe it.  For the first time in thousands of years, the Egyptian people decide their own destiny.  Thank God.

I'm so happy for my people.

#2 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1735 posts) -

Well, it's still in the hands of the military. So let's see how it goes from here.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Wait, thousands of years? Why do I feel like that's a bit of an exaggeration?

#4 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Next order of business. 
Getting rid of the military who are apparantly backing Mubarak 100%. 

Victory is great!

#5 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

Inb4anewdictatorcomestopower

#6 Posted by arab_prince (2053 posts) -

I trust the military not to fuck it up. After what they have seen over the past 18 days, I don't think they would want to do anything stupid. (considering most of the army is made of pro-democracy citizens). Only good from here. 

Ta7ya Masr

#7 Posted by Dantekiller (206 posts) -

grate now i can play games again wait i could do that before Oh my god i have no life 

#8 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -
@VilhelmNielsen said:
" Well, it's still in the hands of the military. So let's see how it goes from here. "
My thoughts exactly. Still a step in the right direction. 
#9 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I don't understand all the involvement with Egypt,yeah they got rid of a tyrant...and,after that i don't know what else to say, congrats?

#10 Posted by Bones8677 (3243 posts) -

Yeah I'm watching the AlJazeera live feed on youtube. Obama is speaking about it now.

#11 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11025 posts) -

Great, I guess. I think it's still too early to celebrate though, because all of Egypt's problems aren't going to be magically solved just by getting rid of him. Probably. I don't know. 

#12 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming: uh, because there's a certain magnitude to what they did? This is an interconnected world so we should consider potentially massive shifts in government important?
#13 Posted by onarum (2089 posts) -

Yay, now they can elect another egocentric bastard to take Hi's place that will work to acomplish Hi's own goals and luxuries instead of  the welfare of the people, isn't Democracy great?

#14 Posted by danimal_furry (1453 posts) -

I'd be a bit cautious with the celebration right now. It's always good for a country's population to find their voice. I just hope they don't get the wool pulled over their eyes, and that they set up a government that is neither extremist nor just another dictatorship.

#15 Posted by TooWalrus (13202 posts) -
@npeterson08 said:
" @Nasos100: FACT: all muslim dudes are crazy. "
That dude from the Daily Show seems pretty cool...
#16 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@beej: It dosen't directly affect me or my country, so, yeah im indifferent.
#17 Posted by Nasos100 (727 posts) -
@onarum:  wait you mean putting a paper in a box every four years isnt what democracy is about? damn
#18 Posted by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming:  That's incredibly small minded of you.
#19 Posted by bearshamanbro (284 posts) -

Happy for the Egyptian people. Wish them success in building the type of leadership that they have protested for.

#20 Posted by MikkaQ (10290 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" Wait, thousands of years? Why do I feel like that's a bit of an exaggeration? "
That's not the exaggeration, it's that they think Egypt is truly free now. There will probably be another coup in good time. The middle east is a chaotic mess as of late.  

But yeah Egypt hasn't really been it's own thing since it was an empire thousands of years ago. Between the Romans, the Muslims, the Ottomans, Muhammad Ali Pasha, and Mubarak (and all the people in between), Egypt has never really belonged to it's people. 
#21 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I just hope the next leader doesn't turn out to be an extremist of sorts, because that would fucking suck.

#22 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming: Might I ask what country you live in?
#23 Posted by OutOfBounds9000 (2300 posts) -

Happy also. Hope the egyptians get freedom from that idiot Mubarak.

#24 Posted by arab_prince (2053 posts) -

today is 11 02 2011 HAH. Egyptians have always been into conspiracies.

#25 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@beej: You already did ;)
And Serbia.
#26 Posted by Lotus (208 posts) -

Grats, now carefull with the muslims groups taking over, if you wanna keep women equalities of course.

#27 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" Wait, thousands of years? Why do I feel like that's a bit of an exaggeration? "
That's not the exaggeration, it's that they think Egypt is truly free now. There will probably be another coup in good time. The middle east is a chaotic mess as of late.   But yeah Egypt hasn't really been it's own thing since it was an empire thousands of years ago. Between the Romans, the Muslims, the Ottomans, Muhammad Ali Pasha, and Mubarak (and all the people in between), Egypt has never really belonged to it's people.  "
That sentence is funny in a weird way. Like "I'm a Wizard..."
#28 Edited by TomA (2531 posts) -

#29 Edited by TomA (2531 posts) -

Mubarak may have stepped down, but he handed the power to his deputy in chief. So until the )hopefully free and fair) democratic election rolls around in September, the country of Egypt is under military rule.

#30 Posted by MikkaQ (10290 posts) -
@DonutFever: That might have been written wrong. That sounds like I'm inviting those coups. 

But really I'm just touching on the inevitability of corruption in the middle east. It just happens. I mean sure they overthrew the government, but now the military runs the country, that's where Mubarak and his cronies came from in the first place.  
I'm just... skeptical. We'll see come september when the elections are due though. I sincerely hope for the Egyptians that they get a good government for once. 
#31 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

It was cool seeing the Christians form a human shield around the Muslims while they prayed.

#32 Posted by hicks91 (757 posts) -

You guys dont know your history do you? Exactly the same thing happened with the Islamic revolution of 1979 and look what happened. 
The absolute worst thing for the egyptians and the world would be the Muslim Brotherhood getting into power. 

Good for the Egyptians, but i dont see things getting better

#33 Posted by MikkaQ (10290 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" It was cool seeing the Christians form a human shield around the Muslims while they prayed. "
It was an even nicer gesture when you realize they were returning a favor, the Muslims helped them the same way before. It's good to see that people are actually getting along, and helping each other, even if it's under the unfortunate circumstances of violence. 
#34 Posted by arab_prince (2053 posts) -
@hicks91 said:
" You guys dont know your history do you? Exactly the same thing happened with the Islamic revolution of 1979 and look what happened. The absolute worst thing for the egyptians and the world would be the Muslim Brotherhood getting into power.  Good for the Egyptians, but i dont see things getting better "
Why do people keep bringing religion into this? This isn't an Islamic revolution, its a revolution for democracy. The brotherhood themselves said they don't want to rule and are just happy to be recognized as a political party. Not to mention the fact that the brotherhood aren't at all extremist as many news channels make them out to be.
#35 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" @Axxol said:
" It was cool seeing the Christians form a human shield around the Muslims while they prayed. "
It was an even nicer gesture when you realize they were returning a favor, the Muslims helped them the same way before. It's good to see that people are actually getting along, and helping each other, even if it's under the unfortunate circumstances of violence.  "
Aye.
#36 Posted by arab_prince (2053 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" @XII_Sniper said:
" @Axxol said:
It was an even nicer gesture when you realize they were returning a favor, the Muslims helped them the same way before. It's good to see that people are actually getting along, and helping each other, even if it's under the unfortunate circumstances of violence.  "
Aye. "
Agreed. Its crazy to think that only a month ago a church was burned.
#37 Posted by hicks91 (757 posts) -
@arab_prince said:
" @hicks91 said:
" You guys dont know your history do you? Exactly the same thing happened with the Islamic revolution of 1979 and look what happened. The absolute worst thing for the egyptians and the world would be the Muslim Brotherhood getting into power.  Good for the Egyptians, but i dont see things getting better "
Why do people keep bringing religion into this? This isn't an Islamic revolution, its a revolution for democracy. The brotherhood themselves said they don't want to rule and are just happy to be recognized as a political party. Not to mention the fact that the brotherhood aren't at all extremist as many news channels make them out to be. "
haha you clearly proved you do not know your history. 
The Islamic Revolution is a completely analogous event in which a despot was thrown out in such haste, that no one noticed they'd ushered in someone much, much worse. 
And as for the brotherhood not being extremist is laughable. Look at one of their offshoots did in the Gaze. Got themselves elected, the preceded to murder the opposition and then refused to hold any other elections, they''re a one vote, once, party.
#38 Posted by l4wd0g (1952 posts) -

It'll be interesting to see who fills the power hole. Right now Egypt is the number two recipient of US aid.  If the Muslim Brotherhood takes over, I would assess the aid to become quite a bit less.

#39 Posted by arab_prince (2053 posts) -
@hicks91 said:
" @arab_prince said:
" @hicks91 said:
Why do people keep bringing religion into this? This isn't an Islamic revolution, its a revolution for democracy. The brotherhood themselves said they don't want to rule and are just happy to be recognized as a political party. Not to mention the fact that the brotherhood aren't at all extremist as many news channels make them out to be. "
The Islamic Revolution is a completely analogous event in which a despot was thrown out in such haste, that no one noticed they'd ushered in someone much, much worse. And as for the brotherhood not being extremist is laughable. Look at one of their offshoots did in the Gaze. Got themselves elected, the preceded to murder the opposition and then refused to hold any other elections, they''re a one vote, once, party. "
The people of Iran wanted an Islamic Republic, which is not at all what Egyptians want. I haven't forgotten your views on issues like these hicks, so I won't argue you. The brotherhood aren't extremists. They've been opposed by extremist groups like Al Qaeda for wanting democracy.
#40 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@VilhelmNielsen said:
" Well, it's still in the hands of the military. So let's see how it goes from here. "
#41 Posted by hicks91 (757 posts) -
@arab_prince said:
" @hicks91 said:
" @arab_prince said:
" @hicks91 said:
The Islamic Revolution is a completely analogous event in which a despot was thrown out in such haste, that no one noticed they'd ushered in someone much, much worse. And as for the brotherhood not being extremist is laughable. Look at one of their offshoots did in the Gaze. Got themselves elected, the preceded to murder the opposition and then refused to hold any other elections, they''re a one vote, once, party. "
The people of Iran wanted an Islamic Republic, which is not at all what Egyptians want. I haven't forgotten your views on issues like these hicks, so I won't argue you. The brotherhood aren't extremists. They've been opposed by extremist groups like Al Qaeda for wanting democracy. "
 i said it was analogous, which it is. western backed leader overthrown by popular uprising, i didnt say it was the same.
the brotherhoods leader says the want to block the suez, and immediately wage war on Israel, if thats not extreme i dont know what else is..........
#42 Posted by chrissedoff (2108 posts) -

if these democratic movements keep spreading, won't it be funny when the only middle eastern countries that aren't democracies are iraq and afghanistan?

#43 Posted by MetalMoog (908 posts) -

Good for Egypt. This is definitely a win and something to be immensely proud of. I only hope things get better for Egyptians.

#44 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

well good job on that. pretty crazy stuff, like the guy was there for like 40 years or something. i think it's time for a new person to do the same.

#45 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6299 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
" Inb4anewdictatorcomestopower "
Let's just hope it isn't Nazi Pikachu, that guy is a monster.
#46 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Yeah, I just found out he handed the power over to the military. Nothing wrong with that right now. It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.

#47 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -

#48 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@ZeForgotten said:
"Next order of business. Getting rid of the military who are apparantly backing Mubarak 100%.  Victory is great! "

Third order of business : the USA sits its ass on Egypt and sucks the resources out, turning the Egyptian soldiers into Class-B marines
#49 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
" @Enigma777 said:
" Inb4anewdictatorcomestopower "
Let's just hope it isn't Nazi Pikachu, that guy is a monster. "
The Fuhreh loves all his little children. He just has trouble expressing it...
#50 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1735 posts) -
@ZeForgotten said:
" Next order of business. Getting rid of the military who are apparantly backing Mubarak 100%. "
Not really. Basically all officers took off their uniforms and joined the demonstration last night, after Mubarak said he was staying. So they haven't really been supporting him in the last 18 days. Actually, they've been pretty supportive of the demonstrants. That being said, Mubarak had a prestigious military career backing him when he he was  instated, so who's to say the same thing won't happen again?