Embarrassing Q&A Moments

TheRealJpoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TheRealJpoe

At most panels I've seen/been to they feature a questions & answers portion near the end where fans ask questions and the panelists... wait why am I trying to explain this? Anyways, I really hate these. This is usually the part where I get up & leave or turn it off. Sure in premise is a good idea, fan interaction. But there is always that one person who ruins it by asking the really awkward/stupid/embarrassing question trying to be smart & cute. I was wondering if you duders have ever seen a Q&A session like this that went horribly wrong, & if so what happened? Links get bonus points.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

Like at Comicon?

TheRealJpoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheRealJpoe

@NlGHTCRAWLER: sure, or any convention.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

IDK... I laughed...

Also, one of the actors on Supernatural had his acting resume read out loud in front of everyone at CC. It included bicycling, Tibetan throat singing and acting on screen. It was awkward...

@TheRealJpoe:

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By FlarePhoenix

So you hate something because some people ruin it and makes it awkward? So umm... how exactly do you like video games?

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PillClinton

When that dude got up at the GB PAX panel and asked what was going on with Greg Kasavin, like within months of them doing the whole How to Build a Bastion series. Some people booed--it was funny.

Forderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Forderz

I like it when I'm watching an MLP livestream/panel and some asshole brings up rule 34.

Most of the time us Bronies can be annoying or just overbearing, but to see the gentle giant that is the herdmind turn on one of its own... it is glorious.

I can't fucking wait for half the cast of Futurama to act out an episode at Everfree Northwest.

...I just realized that this isn't ponychan...

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nottle

The only panel I've been to was for mega64, some of the questions just make me cringe. There was something about asking is Shawn was a brony (I don't have a problem with that, but if you've watched Shawn you could probably tell he doesn't care for that), asking about if his ring gave him power, and then at some point Derrick and some fan did some word game where they only ask questions. Kind of weird.

But then again, I'd be like nervous as hell to ask a question, it would come off as awkward or dumb, i just have the sense not to do it.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bigsmoke77

When that guy asked the GB duders when they where going to do another " Extended Play".

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Xeiphyer

There always seems to be one idiot at every GB panel who asks some stupid question that makes it seem like they don't even know what Giantbomb is or does.

I wish I could remember what that one guy asked at least years PAX Prime. Was it... "What ever happened to Greg Kasavin?".

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zeforgotten

When I watch a panel like that online (not a stream but a video, obviously) then it usually always ends up with me skipping ahead when someone comes up and starts talking for more than 5 minutes just to ask a damn question. 
They're usually the ones with the most annoying voices too so that doesn't help them at all. 

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I watched a video recently of the Star Trek TNG cast at a convention this year that had some embarrassingly awful questions. People who act like that are just awful.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I hate hate hate HATE Q&A. I told Ryan to abandon the Giant Bomb Q&A at PAX and he said "No, we can't, the kids love the Q&A..." which seems like a pretty bullshit reason to do something, but whatever. Kids are idiots.

I liked the Mega64 panel, however, because if they got asked a stupid question they shouted "Nope, your question is fucking stupid" and didn't answer it.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Can't stand Q&A. Gaming ones especially, cause we all seem fucking socially inept.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@Muttinus_Rump said:

cause we all seem fucking socially inept.

Yeah well...shut up!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@Muttinus_Rump said:

Can't stand Q&A. Gaming ones especially, cause we all seem fucking socially inept.

This all the fucking way. Damn near every Q&A makes me cringe like you would not believe. I had to stop watching a few Mega64 panel videos because the people there just...man...holy shit.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sploder

There was that red shirted guy who corrected Blizzard on a piece of WoW lore at one panel, it was pretty funny seeing the Blizzard guys reaction to it.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Shivoa

Yep, turn off/tune out/run away from Q&A sections because it gets a lot of cringe (people asking just terrible questions, really disrespectful (if they don't pre-screen) questions, fluffing their prepared thought and gibbering under the pressure of talking to someone they admire) and some of it is stuff you can see you might do if you had a bad day but that just makes it even harder to watch. I think that stuff would be made a lot better if they asked people before the panel or at the start for prepared questions and then quickly went through them and picked out the ones they want to answer to avoid the deer in headlights slowing down the proceedings.

I don't know, I've never really cared for live panels (as in being there, they're fine to watch or hear as live-to-video podcast style material) and conferences are bad enough (when it's meant to be a peer group and not that everyone in the room is there as a fan of whoever is talking at the front).

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Brendan

I mostly don't watch 'em, although I'll sit through the Giant Bomb ones.

Duskwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Duskwind

Doug: [wearing a T-shirt that says "Genius at Work"] Hi. A question for Miss Bellamy. In episode 2F09 when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a magic xylophone or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

June Bellamy: Uh, well...

Homer: I'll field this one.

Homer: [to Doug] Let me ask you a question. Why would a man whose shirt says "Genius at Work" spend all of his time watching a children's cartoon show?

[pause]

Doug: I withdraw my question.

[takes a bite from a bar of chocolate]

Sorry, just got reminded of this and had to chuckle.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Absolutely insufferable. It's funny because I love you guys, but I fucking hate listening to any of you talking to the staff without a filter. It's amazing what a keyboard and two minutes to proofread or reconsider your statements can do. Because Christ. The Q&A;, the radio show, the 'call in' portion of Happy Hour; intolerable. Yet Bombcast emails and Jar Time messages, totally cool with. Because there isn't dead air, uhmmmmm, dead air.

And this is from a guy who got yelled at for using a phrase that Jeff doesn't like on a Jar Time episode! Still better than phone calls!

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By stinky

the only good Q&A i have seen are from Kevin Smith Talks, and i am sure he edits them.

otherwise they are pretty awful. the ONLY good giantbomb Q&A i have seen are from emails, like Jeff's jar videos.

the pax Q&A awful, no idea why ryan would think they made good entertainment. think his eagerness to fill up time is overriding his senses.

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By scalpel

I dislike almost all fan interaction when it comes to these things. The call-ins on Mega64 can be pretty hilarious, though.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MarkWahlberg

The only time I've ever seen a Q&A that didn't make me cringe at least once was the one for the Firefly reunion panel at comic-con this year. And please note, I didn't say it was a stunningly good Q&A; it just wasn't horrible (On the other hand, I made it about 8 minutes into the Game of Thrones panel before I had to stop because holy ballsack is George Martin a dirty old perv).

For the Live Bombcasts at PA, Ryan should just collect 'emails' from the people in line before the show starts, and then go through them. We really do need some kind of filter on that shit.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By emem
@MarkWahlberg: Oh man, I just saw a video of that Firefly panel about an hour ago and loved it! I'm totally going to watch an episode of Firefly tonight. ;P
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By musubi

Eh, call-ins and Q&A is fine. Most of the people are probably just nervous. All the spotlight is on you and if you aren't used to public speaking it can be a tad intimidating.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By kindgineer

Isn't it a bit selfish to want something removed simply because you dislike it's existence? I've never watched the GB Q&A, but I think it's well within reason to defend it's happenings. Some people like that sort of thing and much like all other forms of entertainment: watch or don't watch it. It's amazing the amount of power we have!

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PillClinton

@Brodehouse said:

Absolutely insufferable. It's funny because I love you guys, but I fucking hate listening to any of you talking to the staff without a filter. It's amazing what a keyboard and two minutes to proofread or reconsider your statements can do. Because Christ. The Q&A;, the radio show, the 'call in' portion of Happy Hour; intolerable. Yet Bombcast emails and Jar Time messages, totally cool with. Because there isn't dead air, uhmmmmm, dead air. And this is from a guy who got yelled at for using a phrase that Jeff doesn't like on a Jar Time episode! Still better than phone calls!

But to be fair, doesn't Jeff take issue with at least something in just about every Jar Time question?