Enders Game anybody else not know the spoilers?

BirthWild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I don't know whats up with that book.

I remember kid got scratched across the face and Bean is a cool kid.

that's all. I don't remember if I even finished it.

anybody else not know the twists and turns and ending of this well known book?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I know nothing about it. There is a kid named ender and I think he has a jet pack? It in space, right?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I know nothing about it. There is a kid named Ender and I think he has a jet pack? It in space, right?

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By DarkShaper

Ender was the name of the sled.

But seriously, I haven't read that book in about 10 years and I remember most of the plot which is kind of strange since I normaly have a really hard time recalling the plot of books.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

I don't; really, I wish people would not be so casual about spoiling all sorts of things =\

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I don't; really, I wish people would not be so casual about spoiling all sorts of things =\

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Bocam

Does the big plot twist have something to due with the fact that the game they're playing is actually preparing them to fight a war?

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By BlatantNinja23

@bocam: close, but it's actually that the game, or simulation they thought they were going through was actually the real deal. It wasn't fake, the war is actually going on and they they were sending real people out to die. They felt that Ender would make better tactical decisions if he thought it was just a simulation. I think there was also something about him not wanting to go to war at all, so that might have also had something to do with why they tricked him.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I kind of want to read it.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ltsmash

Another element of the twist is that:

In addition to sacrificing many of his own forces, Ender essentially committed genocide, wiping out the entire enemy population.

As twists go, I remember it being pretty great. It kind of makes you put the book down for a minute.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I read it for the first time just a few months ago. Before that I had never heard anything relating to the story in that book.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HerbieBug

I managed to go into this one fresh and spoiler free about ten years ago.Really enjoyed it.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is Ender's Game really popular all of a sudden? I read it as a kid waay back when, didn't know anyone else who'd read it, and now all of a sudden everyone's talking about it like it's the best thing since sliced bread. I thought it was a great book, sure, but the sudden shift into hype mode is a little weird.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Why is Ender's Game really popular all of a sudden? I read it as a kid waay back when, didn't know anyone else who'd read it, and now all of a sudden everyone's talking about it like it's the best thing since sliced bread. I thought it was a great book, sure, but the sudden shift into hype mode is a little weird.

They're making a movie. It's suppose to come out this year or next year I think. I really don't think it's going to translate very well to the big screen unfortunately.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

For the love of god anybody who is tempted by the spoilers do not read them. The twist pretty much makes that book what it is, not saying it would be bad without it but you should really try as hard as you can to go in blind.

Railer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you haven't read the book yet and are planning to you should really try to avoid spoilers. When I first read the book it was quite a revalation and like Jimi said, It's a big part of what makes the book what it is.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skytylz said:

@markwahlberg

said:

They're making a movie. It's suppose to come out this year or next year I think. I really don't think it's going to translate very well to the big screen unfortunately.

... I mean, whenever I think a movie is guaranteed to turn out terrible, I remember how everyone said that about the first Pirates of the Caribbean. But yeah, don't see that going well at all.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know nothing about it, but all this recent talk has me interested.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ltsmash said:

Another element of the twist is that:

In addition to sacrificing many of his own forces, Ender essentially committed genocide, wiping out the entire enemy population.

As twists go, I remember it being pretty great. It kind of makes you put the book down for a minute.

Ironically, it seems like Card wasn't very interested in writing books like Ender's Game. My understanding is that he wrote the original Ender's Game short story in some sci-fi magazine in the late 70s, I think. Years later, he reworked it into a full novel, but apparently the entire purpose of doing so was because he wanted to write the sequels to Ender's Game, but first he needed to establish the origin of Ender as a character, and how that twist came to happen and how it affected him emotionally, philosophically, etc.

Ironically, even though he wrote Ender's Game to facilitate all the sequels, Ender's Game is far more popular and frankly a better book than everything that comes after. I think the sequels are kind of self-indulgent exercises in fictional space politics, and philosophical and religious themes that are handled in really weird ways. Xenocide and Children of the Mind are especially bad; Speaker for the Dead is readable, but at least 50% of it is this weird family drama revolving around two generations of this random Brazilian family, which comes as a surprise to most people after they read Ender's Game, which is primarily about 7-12-year-olds being badass motherfuckers on a space station.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@jimi said:

For the love of god anybody who is tempted by the spoilers do not read them. The twist pretty much makes that book what it is, not saying it would be bad without it but you should really try as hard as you can to go in blind.

actually you shouldn't go in at all considering orson scott card is a terrible human being

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HerbieBug
@animasta said:

@jimi

said:

actually you shouldn't go in at all considering orson scott card is a terrible human being

Those who avoid any form of art for this purpose do themselves a great disservice.