• 63 results
#1 Posted by brainwins (252 posts) -

Probably a pretty lame excuse to take an energy drink, but last night I stayed up pretty late playing FTL. And today I have this dinner with some friends that I always get super sleepy as soon as we get there. So what would you recommend so I don't fall asleep on the table?

Thanks.

#2 Posted by Nightriff (5245 posts) -

Redbulls

#3 Posted by brainwins (252 posts) -

s? How many?

#4 Posted by HistoryInRust (6379 posts) -

Just drink water and coffee. Seriously. Stay the fuck away from energy drinks if you can help it.

#5 Posted by ProfessorEss (7469 posts) -

I dont drink them very often but when I do it's Redbull.

#6 Posted by cyraxible (696 posts) -

Yeah, do what HistoryInRust says. Coffee for energy and water to keep you hydrated is wayyy better than drinking any energy drinks.

#7 Posted by brainwins (252 posts) -

Alright. I normally drink two coffees a day. I'll take a third one before leaving, and buy a Red Bull for emergencies :D

#8 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1172 posts) -

Red Bull does a great job but I would stay away from it unless its an emergency. I would recommend coffee though.

#9 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Stay far away from energy drinks.

#10 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

red bull is pretty good. if you like you could put jagermiester or vodka in it. either one is good.

i also like monster, but i wouldn't not suggest drinking that all the time. i mean like only drinking that like drink water with it. it's like 18 oz can.

i know you said you were eating out but don't drink it on an empty stomach. i drank a red bull before swimming in pe class. we had this test we had to swim for like 30 minutes. i ended up throwing up but didn't as i was empty stomach.

#11 Posted by Lysergica33 (535 posts) -

@brainwins said:

Probably a pretty lame excuse to take an energy drink, but last night I stayed up pretty late playing FTL. And today I have this dinner with some friends that I always get super sleepy as soon as we get there. So what would you recommend so I don't fall asleep on the table?

Thanks.

Just don't drink them. Clean water and fruit juice are the best energy drinks out there. All the crap that energy drinks are full of just make you crash.

#12 Posted by j0lter (262 posts) -

Monster. Lots of it :3

#13 Posted by wemibelec90 (1806 posts) -

@Guided_By_Tigers said:

#14 Posted by Karkarov (3230 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

@Guided_By_Tigers said:

Energy drink vet here. Used to pound down two 24 once jolt colas in 10 minutes or less when I worked at a busy restaurant and I am telling you right now OP these two dudes I quoted.... Are dead on right. Energy drinks are terrible for you and the more of them you drink the worse you will feel and the less effect they will have. Do yourself a favor and if you really have to have a pick me up go with a small black coffee every once in awhile.

#15 Posted by artofwar420 (6299 posts) -

It's a lot better to just drink a couple of cups of coffee. Tastier too.

#16 Posted by sodacat (217 posts) -

Caffeine is a better drug than anything they put in energy drinks.

#17 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

@artofwar420 said:

It's a lot better to just drink a couple of cups of coffee. Tastier too.

True story.

#18 Posted by brainwins (252 posts) -

Alright. The votes are on stay the fuck away from energy drinks. I'll drink a coffee or two, then. Thanks a lot for all the advice.

I didn't know they were that bad.

#19 Posted by Thrillhouse87 (243 posts) -

I used to like redbull when I was younger, but now I think they taste horrible. I guess thats a good thing, since that's  exactly what they are.  
Yes, drink a cup or two of coffee instead. 

#20 Posted by beeftothetaco (426 posts) -

Forget the energy drinks. Do some speedball.

#21 Posted by DemiGodRaven (276 posts) -

NOS + Vodka

#22 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3082 posts) -

Blue balls. I mean, Redbull.

#23 Edited by McShank (1629 posts) -

@j0lter said:

Monster. Lots of it :3

I hate RedBulls. I still remember the day they had a truck driving around Alki Beach in seattle and were giving them out free to promote them. Worst thing I ever drank. Monsters were pretty bad at first but i got used to it since i needed them for senior year and Sobe stopped making the original NoFear's. Other then that its all your own pick but at least try each to find one you like. just dont keep drinking them all the time otherwise it doesnt do anything besides rot your insides. And if coffee actually gives you energy then congratz as I gives me about as much energy as drinking a bottle of water.

#24 Posted by NTM (7519 posts) -

Um, there's a lot more to caffeine than you're thinking, so just saying "I'll drink some coffee" or "I need to get an energy drink", may not work.

#25 Posted by ripelivejam (4608 posts) -

mainline mothballs

#26 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2077 posts) -

If I need some energy for a short time period (e.g. an exam) I go for a Rockstar, the variety that is mixed with juice.

#27 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1596 posts) -

If you need to wake the fuck up, like right now, then a 5 Hour Energy will hook you right up. It'll also mess you up if you aren't careful, but it's good for a quick burst of fake, bad-for-you energy.

#28 Posted by Djstyles92 (953 posts) -

Since coffee tastes like shit I usually go with a redbull or rockstar

#29 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Coffee, or bite your tongue.

#30 Posted by Slay3r1583 (632 posts) -

Any flavor of Amp. They are the only energy drinks I've tried that I enjoy the taste of.

#31 Posted by believer258 (12100 posts) -

Only ever had one.

Nothing wakes me up and gives me more energy than a good cup of coffee, though. I hate having to drink it, but some mornings it can't be helped and besides, it tastes pretty good with some creamer. The one energy drink I ever had woke me up for all of a few minutes and then I felt like shit.

#32 Posted by FritzDude (2279 posts) -

Close your eyes for fifteen minutes, stand up, drink some water & soak your face in cold aqua.

#33 Posted by TinAutomaton (54 posts) -

Black tea without milk can be helpful too.

#34 Posted by Sweep (8949 posts) -
  1. GRAB EVERYTHING

2. PUT IN IN A JAR

3. DRINK IT

4. YOU'RE WELCOME

5. SCIENCE

#35 Posted by RedRavN (414 posts) -

I think NOS is the best energy drink I have tried along with the original rockstar. Just be careful and make sure to stay hydrated. Just be aware that you will crash after a couple hours and be more tired later. They will perk you up for a while though. I would only recommend you take one of the smaller size cans.

Also, yerba mate is really good for energy. It is similar to coffee and fully legal. It is drunk in a tea all the time in south and central america. It feels less jittery than caffiene and has less of a crash. Its also cheap if you import it online. Most big grocery stores have it for sale usually in the tea area.

#36 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Just the tip.

#37 Posted by laserbolts (5349 posts) -

I have never had an energy drink and I'm glad I haven't. I wouldn't bother with them if you don't absolutely need them. They are very bad for you.

#38 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (620 posts) -

The only energy drink I like is the orange flavored monster.

That shit tastes like carbonated orange juice.

Approved.

#39 Posted by JaredA (827 posts) -

If you don't consume caffeine on a regular basis, drink a 12oz Red Bull, otherwise go for a 16oz or maybe a 20oz.

#40 Posted by A_Talking_Donkey (262 posts) -

Sip the opening gently, lick around the rim with your tongue.

#41 Posted by Aleryn (705 posts) -

Try some coffee. No it won't taste good at first, but it's an excellent source of short term WAKEUPNOW that is incredibly cheap and available.

Otherwise? Full Throttle Blue Demon. That stuff is tasty.

#42 Posted by TyCobb (1976 posts) -

@ProfessorEss said:

I dont drink them very often but when I do it's Redbull.

The most interesting man on GiantBomb.

#43 Posted by OneManX (1693 posts) -

Blue Demon is the truth.

I never bother with coffee.

#44 Posted by Levio (1785 posts) -

Slap your face. Even if you fall asleep, your friends will still have fun drawing on your face.

#45 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

Redbull is shit. Amp or Rockstar are far better and offer far more flavours. If you don't like the taste of one them, mix with Mountain Dew Voltage.

#46 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

I had a 12 hour drive with very little sleep prior and I unknowingly exceeded the consumption limit of 5-Hour Energy drinks. I crash as soon as I made it to my parents' house. I'm never doing that shit again.

#47 Edited by EndlessObsidian (477 posts) -

Ok, I'm probably going to sound like an asshole but, there is no need to drink an energy drink. If you really want to feel awake, eat an apple. It seems these days people think the only way to get energized is to take these miraculous energy drinks thanks to the various marketing campaigns that these beverage corporations put out. Duder, pretty much all fruit will make you feel better and more awake with absolutely ZERO crash/burn out thanks to the natural sugars they provide compared to the "Sweet N Lows" added to coffee and energy drinks.

#48 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

Red Bull has taurine which is found in bull sperm.

Freakin Sweet.

#49 Posted by GnaTSoL (836 posts) -

Home boy, the way to go is Zip-Fizz! It lights you up in under a min.

Trust me!!!! Actually tastes great!!!!

#50 Posted by Largo6661 (341 posts) -

Set your arm on fire, that would keep me awake.