Posted by AcidBrandon18 (753 posts) 9 months, 28 days ago

Poll: Escape From L.A. Is it a bad movie? (59 votes)

Yes, it is a terrible film. 20%
Yes, it is a bad film, but I enjoy it. 54%
No, it isn't a bad film at all. 25%

Escape from L.A. was on Netflix so I watched it as I really enjoyed Escape from New York and I just don't know how to feel about this film. I'm torn between it is so bad it is good and its so bad that its bad. What did you guys think of the film?

#1 Edited by Abendlaender (2812 posts) -

I genuinely enjoy Escape From L.A. as a good movie. I wouldn't say it's a great movie but it's not bad. The ending is pretty great.

#2 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (1046 posts) -

I love that film

#3 Posted by Dross (307 posts) -

It's pretty much a spoof of the first one, but I find things to enjoy in it. Like the great CGI shark.

#4 Posted by Humanity (9377 posts) -

It is terrible but fascinating at the same time. Like this unnerving déjà-Vu at every turn.

#5 Posted by GunstarRed (5211 posts) -

I enjoy almost all of John Carpenter's work, even L.A... It isn't a good movie though. It doesn't help that it's a sequel to one of his best movies.

#6 Posted by DonChipotle (2768 posts) -

It's bad because it is nowhere near the level of Escape From New York

#7 Posted by Jimbo (9819 posts) -

Just saw it for the first time the other day. It's awful.

#8 Posted by hans_maulwurf (124 posts) -

It has a lot of cheesy, bad scenes, but also some genuinely great moments like the dialogue at the end about freedom, the ending scene in general or the killer basketball game.

#9 Posted by RonGalaxy (3181 posts) -

It's one of those movies where if Im flipping through the channels and it's on I'm game for watching it, but I wont go out of my way to watch it..

Carpenter is the master at taking B movie plots and expertly producing them. This isnt that; this is him making a cheesy B movie that's pretty bad, but also endearing in some ways.

Escape From NY, on the other hand, is amazing. My personal favorite of Carpenters.

#10 Edited by Veektarius (4869 posts) -

It's not totally unwatchable, but it's hard to justify watching it when you could just watch Escape from NY.

#11 Posted by SgtSphynx (1406 posts) -

I will not argue that it is a good movie, but it is an entertaining and enjoyable one.

#12 Posted by marc (508 posts) -

I enjoy almost all of John Carpenter's work, even L.A... It isn't a good movie though. It doesn't help that it's a sequel to one of his best movies.

Ghosts of Mars is probably my favourite terrible movie of all time.

#13 Posted by SecularBaron (182 posts) -

I've watched both L.A and New York many times. As much as I want to I can't say L.A. is a "good" movie. But Snake's still a badass and he scores like 5 baskets in a row so that counts for something.

#14 Posted by Danteveli (1187 posts) -

I'm still waiting for Escape from Planet Earth

#15 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (753 posts) -

Man. That surfing scene............

#16 Edited by geirr (2583 posts) -

It's bad but it's great.

#17 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3445 posts) -

@acidbrandon18 said:

Man. That surfing scene............

About to say the same thing. Fuck that movie.