EUROVISION Song Contest 2014

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gyrfal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gyrfal

Figured I would make a thread, the Semi Finals are on now!

http://www.eurovision.tv/

Note: The player will ask you to install Octoshape, you can opt to not install it and still watch.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

This has a lot more production value then I was expecting hearing Drew talk about it whenever that was. Not my kind of music though.

Gyrfal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gyrfal

Ukraine's hamster wheel was definitely #production.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Who have Ireland entered this year? Seeing the batshit crazy "people" they come up with every years is perhaps my favourite thing about Eurovison. Although i don't think they will ever beat the singing turkey.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#5  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

This has a lot more production value then I was expecting hearing Drew talk about it whenever that was. Not my kind of music though.

It's an ridiculously expensive affair, and I think the entire point of the music is to be so inoffensive (and kinda be 15 years behind all the trends) so that it in the end doesn't suit anybody.

dantey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

As a proud Latvian, all I can say is this: CEP KŪKU, BITCHES!

ReddenBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How can I watch the snarky bbc coverage in the USA?

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SingingMenstrual

Wait.. you're telling me that the Eurovision song contest, from Europe, made up of European performers representing for their individual countries, consists of everyone singing in English? The duo from France started singing in English just now, just like the two before them...

Edit: Ah this guy right now is singing in his native tongue. At least someone is representing their homeland!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@singingmenstrual: Not everyone but most of the time they showcase artists that had a big hit single in the US. So mainly english.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ElixirBronze

@singingmenstrual said:

Wait.. you're telling me that the Eurovision song contest, from Europe, made up of European performers representing for their individual countries, consists of everyone singing in English?

Why is that weird? Afaik every European country learn English at school and it's probably the most common language in Europe overall.

Gyrfal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hungary just made this way more Euro by throwing some drum and bass on.

SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SingingMenstrual

@elixirbronze said:

@singingmenstrual said:

Wait.. you're telling me that the Eurovision song contest, from Europe, made up of European performers representing for their individual countries, consists of everyone singing in English?

Why is that weird? Afaik every European country learn English at school and it's probably the most common language in Europe overall.

Language is the first and foremost thing to distinguish you when you're singing as a representative of your homeland, is all.. When the title says Eurovision and you have performers painting or sculpting their respective countries' flags and taking their pictures, you'd expect them to come out and sing in the tongues of their countries, otherwise what's the point?

Edit: Still a pretty good show though, it's making the weed more refreshing, I'm just saying, I'm seeing Franks and Italianos and Fins come out and sing like Celine Dion or John Legend, it's weird!

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ElixirBronze

@singingmenstrual: I see what you mean, I think it's an attempt to appeal more internationally and perhaps even to an American market. I know for a fact that some songs are written in the native tongue and later gets translated once they make it into eurovision, as a result the songs might lose some of their charm, I agree.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's basically a popularity contest, so people will sing in the language that will get them the most votes. It does help a little if people understand what you are singing about. Not all countries do this all the time though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@singingmenstrual said:

With some YouTube success stories almost all vocalists around the world are singing in English these days on the off-chance that someone notices them and they can make it big in the states. The brutal truth of the matter is that you're never going to have a huge singing career across the world if you don't sing in english.

SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@elixirbronze said:

@singingmenstrual said:

With some YouTube success stories almost all vocalists around the world are singing in English these days on the off-chance that someone notices them and they can make it big in the states. The brutal truth of the matter is that you're never going to have a huge singing career across the world if you don't sing in english.

Ah.

And when you point out the truth that this is a form of selling out, (and in this case they're selling out their own language and national identity, be it as it may that it's a field of the arts and not something serious), you get called a hater or old-fashioned. It's simply laughable that this is how badly capitalism and the hunger for world wide recognition has become, you got yourself fifty European singers from around the continent, representing the varied and cultured nations of that continent, having country music duets with Texan accents or sounding identical to Celine Dion. America happened on that European stage tonight, not Europe.

Shame.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I look forward to getting drunk with friends watching and laughing at the final. Have to have some traditions.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Unless Lordi is playing again, I don't care.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@elixirbronze said:

@singingmenstrual said:

Ah.

And when you point out the truth that this is a form of selling out, (and in this case they're selling out their own language and national identity, be it as it may that it's a field of the arts and not something serious), you get called a hater or old-fashioned. It's simply laughable that this is how badly capitalism and the hunger for world wide recognition has become, you got yourself fifty European singers from around the continent, representing the varied and cultured nations of that continent, having country music duets with Texan accents or sounding identical to Celine Dion. America happened on that European stage tonight, not Europe.

Shame.

Uhm...you're kinda looking too much into this. While I agree more songs written in their own language is original and interesting...I can't understand it unless it's english. I'm tri-lingual but if I can't understand the lyrics. Like my homeland Turkey wouldn't have won eurovision 2003 if Sertab Erener's song wasn't in english. Pretty positive thing too since the lazy bums in my country tried to learn a bit english from the song.

It isn't all that bad, it's all about english being convenient.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

hehe, I wait to hear friends from Europe to tell me what's best of clips to see. I still can't get into reality competition shows of any kind. But Eurovision is fun.

MasterpinE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MasterpinE

Eurovision is the greatest. Getting together with a bunch of mates, going rip-shit on whatever the host nations beverage of choice is and having no idea what acts are in store is one hell of a good time. Eurovision bingo is an absolute must have.

Loading Video...

Last years flamboyant Romanian soprano vampire and dude in a glass box were just incredible moments, best enjoyed drunk as hell and in good company.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I used to be into it when I was younger but I have not seen it in years.

74, 84, 91, 99, 12 the years we won

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I love this stuff because of how ridiculous it is. I am so excite but i kinda want to wait until they upload the youtube versions

bobfantastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FidusLingura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who remembers the year 2006 when monster rockers Lordi won with hard rock hallelujah? That was a great year to watch it for the first time!

Ark4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ark4

@trusty_spoon: Ah, I remember the conservative Eurovision viewers age 70 and up were furious in my home country.

I just sat there in front of the television with a wide smile plastered over my face.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@trusty_spoon said:

Who remembers the year 2006 when monster rockers Lordi won with hard rock hallelujah? That was a great year to watch it for the first time!

It's still the best winning song of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was the year of our lord, 2008. The world was on it's knees. The four horsemen of the apocalypse, War, Famine and Pollution were riding at a blistering across the land (Pestilence retired in 1936 after the invention of pencillin). It was a world full of misery and sorrow. Action needed to taken if the world was ever going to have a hope of getting through these tough times

The leaders of the world gathered in an attempt to solve these problems. Many possible solutions were tried, but none of them worked

But one day, an small group of people from the the magical land of Ireland, came up with an idea, one that would change the world as we knew it forever. Many laughed at it, but, knowing that all their other options had been exhausted, they agreed to try it out. That, or watch hopelessly as the world succumbed to the horrors that were to come

And so, on 20 May 2008, the world took action.

Loading Video...

And it was truly a glorious day

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it wrong for me to hate ESC because everyone I know, who's into it, actually takes it seriously?

I love that Romanian opera singer. But how can I realistically debate arguments like "naw, I thought he was kinda queer and weird, and what was up with those clothes"? Well, duh!

Gyrfal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Somebody please explain this Australian Broadway musical that just happened.

kadaju86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kadaju86

@gyrfal Eurovision is huge in Australia for some reason (from what I've heard at least), so a strange attempt to try and appeal to those viewers I guess :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That whole dancing people interval thingimajig thing was actually fucking amazing. First person to make a GIF of Frank from Sweden gets a cookie

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I just watched the Australian broadcast of the first semifinal. Pretty fantastic!

Why were people booing Russia though? Is it because of the ongoing crisis or some other political reason?

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#38 fisk0  Moderator

I just watched the Australian broadcast of the first semifinal. Pretty fantastic!

Why were people booing Russia though? Is it because of the ongoing crisis or some other political reason?

Primarily for their recent homophobic laws, as well as the police's unwillingness to look into hate crimes against homosexuals, primarily by neo-nazi gangs who track down and beat up or torture people who put up ads on gay oriented dating sites. It's almost funny how Russia made such a huge deal about the Ukrainian protesters being neo-nazis when they have that stuff going on at home without anybody interfering. There were quite a few rainbow flags in the audience during the grand final.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15