• 140 results
#102 Posted by SteamRickroller (310 posts) -

#TeamConchita is trending on Twitter. COME ON AUUUUUUUUUSTRIAAAAAA!! :D

#103 Edited by Leadcat (264 posts) -

Love that Netherlands are doing so well. Poor France though.

Oh hey they got 1 finally!

#105 Edited by Jazz_Bcaz (271 posts) -

You could see the shallow veneer of emotion on that poor girls face as the crowd booed her douze points yet again.

#107 Posted by burgavo (270 posts) -

la la la la

#108 Posted by Zlimness (555 posts) -

Blah. Armenia getting so many votes. Dude can't take a note worth a damn. You all deaf?! Looking good for Austria and Netherlands though. Take it away, Conchita!

#109 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2110 posts) -

To be fair, the Russian song is pretty good.

#110 Posted by obcdexter (611 posts) -

I thought an Austrian with a weird stache would get the full 12 points from Germany ... oops!

#111 Edited by dudeglove (7907 posts) -

For those wondering regarding the reaction to Russian votes, do bear in mind that the overwhelming majority of the audience in Copenhagen are *kinda* gay, so it's less a Ukraine thing, and more a protest to Russia and it's whole anti-gay rights thing.

#113 Edited by Gaff (1773 posts) -

Why am I watching this...

#114 Edited by Jazz_Bcaz (271 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

For those wondering regarding the reaction to Russian votes, do bear in mind that the overwhelming majority of the audience in Copenhagen are *kinda* gay, so it's less a Ukraine thing, and more a protest to Russia and it's whole anti-gay rights thing.

Fully aware that the live crowd at Eurovision skews that demographic thanks but yeah, I guess some people might not realise.

8 points from Ireland? Cmon.

Lol okay Finland.

#115 Posted by diz (919 posts) -

@gaff said:

Why am I watching this...

Because you want the bearded lady to sing to you again

#116 Posted by mrblobby64 (55 posts) -

Is that Macklemore giving the Finnish results?

#117 Posted by Leadcat (264 posts) -

He should have announced the points through rap. I could have gotten behind that.

#119 Posted by dudeglove (7907 posts) -

Netherlands song was bullshit. Bearded lady ftw

#120 Posted by Jazz_Bcaz (271 posts) -

Don't really rate the dutch song at all but this is crazy close. Usually someone's won by now. It's over very soon.

#121 Posted by Gaff (1773 posts) -

Wow, treachery from Belgium!

#122 Posted by burgavo (270 posts) -

bearded lady wins!! jay for europe

#124 Posted by Jazz_Bcaz (271 posts) -

It was the only logical ending for a somewhat tame Eurovision this year. Hope next year is much weirder.

#125 Edited by kidman (470 posts) -

Patrick Klepek would be proud!

#126 Posted by Zlimness (555 posts) -

Austria at first place, Netherlands second and Sweden third. I'll take it. Take it away, Conchita!

#127 Edited by RazielCuts (2961 posts) -

This wouldn't be out of place in the intro to a James Bond film.

#128 Posted by Jazz_Bcaz (271 posts) -

Guess we know who's doing the next Bond theme.

#129 Edited by mrblobby64 (55 posts) -

I called it.

Well that's another year of Eurovision over, was okay in the end, far less salt than usual. However now I have "Islands in the Stream" in my head and I have the Netherlands to thank for that.

#130 Posted by Gamer_152 (14081 posts) -

Man, I have no idea why The Netherlands picked up so many points, not musically or politically. Awesome to see Conchita win though, maybe the best result we could have had.

#131 Posted by Humanity (9383 posts) -

Funny to have seen people boo every time Russia got any points and massively boo when Russia was handing out their own points. Sort of felt bad for those two teen girls that had nothing to do with Russias world politics yet were receiving all the scorn.

Personally I liked Switzerlands song a lot. I mean whistling is pretty awesome and a violin solo?!

#132 Edited by OldGuy (1561 posts) -

Congrats to Conchita. Though my faves (and I deliberately went in blind on the countries for the songs so I'd pick only on my like/dislike for the song) were:

1) Ukraine

2) Sweden (though it's a near thing twixt those two)

3) Iceland

4) Netherlands (though I would have liked this one a lot more if it'd been more stripped down)

...France made me want to tear my ears off...

I do hope for a return of some more weird next year though...

#133 Edited by mrblobby64 (55 posts) -

@humanity said:

Personally I liked Switzerlands song a lot. I mean whistling is pretty awesome and a violin solo?!

Thank you!

#134 Posted by Enuff (28 posts) -

As an austrian, I've been on the edge of my seat the entire time. Last time an austrian won was 1966!
I am thrilled to be there life next year :)

#135 Posted by obcdexter (611 posts) -

@enuff said:

As an austrian, I've been on the edge of my seat the entire time. Last time an austrian won was 1966!

I am thrilled to be there life next year :)

Oh my god! Now England will win the World Cup ... O_o

#136 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Nobody ever takes me seriously, even when my jokes contain a point.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic-31/eurovision-song-contest-2014-1482788/

One of these threads should die a gruesome death, per Eurovision convention.

#137 Posted by Zlimness (555 posts) -

Austria's previous ESC winner:

#138 Posted by obcdexter (611 posts) -

Nobody ever takes me seriously, even when my jokes contain a point.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic-31/eurovision-song-contest-2014-1482788/

One of these threads should die a gruesome death, per Eurovision convention.

If it makes you feel any better: I totally thought this was YOUR thread.

#139 Posted by obcdexter (611 posts) -

@zlimness said:

Austria's previous ESC winner:

Udo Juergens - a legend in Germany as well.

#140 Edited by Enuff (28 posts) -
@obcdexter said:

Oh my god! Now England will win the World Cup ... O_o

Well, we just saw that even the impossible can happen O_o

Let's not hope it though...

#141 Edited by dudeglove (7907 posts) -

@humanity: there's an absolutely nauseating video that did the rounds a couple of days ago in

Russia about the ludicrous overreaction by a TV presenter made when the girls made it through the semis. It's literally him saying things like "the lights of our country" and "glorious" or "great" this and that. Worst of all is he's doing it to the girls parents (or grandparents) and it goes in for about ten minutes.

Now some Russian hosts are screaming blue murder about "European double standards" and ranting about the treatment they've received. I fear they've completely missed the point (again).

#142 Posted by Humanity (9383 posts) -

@dudeglove: it's a nation fallen victim to it's own government. At this point the status quo has been corrupt for so long even a single administration change wouldn't help - it's slowly becoming a North Korea type situation where there simply isn't going to be anything left to do.

But as far as the contest goes, it was interesting to see Geographical neighbors usually give one another higher points.

#143 Edited by VaddixBell (270 posts) -

Didn't really watch it, I just happened to hear the boos for Russia when I was flicking through the TV and thought "AWW SHIT!!!" and just watched the vote... it was hilarious the boos for Russia even though them two girls have nothing to do with it.

#144 Edited by SteamRickroller (310 posts) -

CONCHITA WOOOOOOOON

#145 Posted by dudeglove (7907 posts) -

@humanity: Odd, the bloc voting was somewhat absent this time around, as a lot of 10s and 12s were coming from countries usually not associated with one another. There was still consistency with the 1-7 range, but the 8s, 10s and 12s were all over the joint. Then again the new voting system only came into effect a couple of years ago.

Also I still don't get why that host was trying to start beef with China.

#146 Posted by bobfantastic (16 posts) -

As a long-term Eurovision connoisseur, I have to agree that there seemed to be overall less block-voting than usual, and it was a much closer contest than previous years. I'd have to say though the hosts added nothing to the show and the general production was just a bit pedestrian and conventional- I think the semis were more interesting from that side of things.

I have to admit though, at one point they snuck up on Graham Norton in the commentary box and basically had a go at him for not taking things seriously, and that was probably the funniest joke ever to come out of a Eurovison Host's mouth. No costume changes though :-(

Overall I'd give this Eurosong about a B+. Pretty good, entertaining enough for a dozen friends and I to drink to.

#147 Posted by dudeglove (7907 posts) -

@bobfantastic: I've never had the chance to listen to commentary in other languages, but I have to assume from the vote results part that other hosts give as much of a fuck as the BBC does.

For those who aren't aware, it's something of a national tradition for the BBC's commentator to openly mock every single element of the proceedings (in the lighthearted BBC manner, mind) while getting sloshed on the cheap ass wine they give out to all the commentators. Terry Wogan's gave out the most hilarious tongue lashings, and his successor Graham Norton has slot into the role quite well, although he mostly has the benefit of reading a twitter feed.

When people talk about the Eurovision Song Contest being dumb but brilliant (like I do), sometimes they are remiss to point out that it's *not* about the songs at all - it's the ludicrous combination of self-aware commentators, a roaring crowd drunk on trashy europop, and bad production decisions by a company that is either trying too hard or not at all, but still has to figure out some way to spend the Eurovision budget they've been given - hence "I know, here's dudes on ladders singing a song to Beethoven." It's a huge gigantic mess that's all but guaranteed to be a complete train wreck, hence why it's so damn entertaining and so polarizing, because to those unaware, all you're really seeing are just a stream of lackluster pop tunes.

#148 Posted by cooljammer00 (1806 posts) -

Wait, I have a question: if Eurovision is an entire week, what do they do on the earlier days? Do they just perform the same songs over and over again? Doesn't that get boring?

#149 Posted by dudeglove (7907 posts) -

@cooljammer00: there are two semi finals to narrow down the countries taking part. Germany, France, England and Italy(?) skip this part because they're part of the "Big Four" that automatically get placed in the final because historically they've (apparently) contributed the most to the EBU - so if you ever wonder why France is so shit, it's because they don't even need to try at all, they perform in the final regardless. The host country is also guaranteed a final spot. The running joke with Ireland, which I think still has the record for most wins, stopped sending good acts because it was becoming ludicrously expensive to host it.

Sometimes the semi final performances (which aren't really broadcast in the mainstream) may vary slightly to the final performances, so it's really only one night. A country's Eurovision selection process may seem tedious, depending on your country. Helsinki was really in to Lordi back in 2006 with big ad campaigns around the city.

#150 Posted by tonka_92 (21 posts) -

@cooljammer00: there are two semi finals to narrow down the countries taking part. Germany, France, England and Italy(?) skip this part because they're part of the "Big Four" that automatically get placed in the final because historically they've (apparently) contributed the most to the EBU - so if you ever wonder why France is so shit, it's because they don't even need to try at all, they perform in the final regardless. The host country is also guaranteed a final spot. The running joke with Ireland, which I think still has the record for most wins, stopped sending good acts because it was becoming ludicrously expensive to host it.

Sometimes the semi final performances (which aren't really broadcast in the mainstream) may vary slightly to the final performances, so it's really only one night. A country's Eurovision selection process may seem tedious, depending on your country. Helsinki was really in to Lordi back in 2006 with big ad campaigns around the city.

It's actually the "Big Five" of Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, and Spain who get in every year, and I'm pretty sure that's purely money based as the five whose broadcasters give the most to the EBU

and yeah, we have the most wins with 7, including 3 in a row in the early nineties

if you can, watch the episode of Father Ted "A Song For Europe", great fun, and brings us "My Lovely Horse":