Ever been scammed trying to do a good deed?

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By teh_destroyer

It happened to me for the first time today. I pulled into a gas station today to give my vehicle some much needed gas.  walked through the door to give cash for the gas that I took when I overheard a conversation between a customer and the gas station clerk. I learned that the customer did not have any cash to pay for some gas that he really needed to get home because his wife had his wallet, he was asking the clerk for a couple of dollars to get him where he needed to go. He noticed me taking out my wallet to give the clerk the money I needed to fill up on gas, and he told me his oh so sad little story so i gave him $10 to help him out a little. I walked outside again to start pumping gas into my car when my bullshit alarm started going off a little to late. I walked back inside to get some change and the clerk told me he watched the customer take out a $20 from his pocket, I was a little angry about the fact that I helped someone out who didn't really need it,now I am $10 poorer. I won't let this happen on my clock again,I will just have to be a jackass about it for now on. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Nicholasotzs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Nicholasotzs

Can't say that I have.

Some people are complete jerks, but that shouldn't stop you from the seeing the good in people. This world has too many jerks.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By artofwar420

Now you know, and keep watch out at gas stations, the drifters like it there.

Slunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Slunks

Yeah. I attempted to sell a friends WoW account (I don't play) and got a great deal for it. The money was going towards a new computer that I was building for him, but I was unfortunately scammed -- something that is easy to do no matter what safety precautions you take. Fortunately we got the account back a few months later, but it was a huge hassle. I don't remember what happened exactly (its been a bit), but I ordered his parts after I received the payment, but it somehow sent my bank account into the negatives because he scammed his money back after that. The account itself was worth over $300, and I was scared for my life. I took screenshots of the entire transaction and had pure evidence of giving him his account, but Paypal wouldn't do much of anything after hours of phone service and e-mails -- they just didn't care. I even had a recording of the conversation between me and a rep, but it's long gone.

Since I was only getting one day a week at my job, I was screwed. Good thing I got it worked out after numerous phone calls between my bank and Paypal -- it was the only time in my life I've truly felt backed into a corner. I usually never allow things like this happen. My friend felt bad for me, and I felt bad for him. Scary times.

Probably one of the worst days I've had. -- That gas story sucks, though! Yay for jerks.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By maxszy

Not in the states, but in Italy I walked into a gelato shop to get some gelato. Displayed they had three sizes displayed, small, medium and large. Though they were all a little big for what you thought that size should be. I got 2 of the "medio". (One for the other person I was with). Normally a medium gelato was about maybe 3 euros at the most. The person rang it up, and it came to 15 euros. I was a little shocked, and saw that below the register is where the "normal" sizes were shown. Needless to say.. I walked out of there over paying for gelato by more than double what it should of been. Ahh well, live and learn. Didn't make that mistake again.

Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jesus

I try to help people everyday... yet they still turn athiest

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Black_Rose

Nope, never

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By maxszy
Jesus said:
"I try to help people everyday... yet they still turn athiest"
God you can do some roflz with your name.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, I have been a few times. Ha, I remember in my high school French class, there was dried up white-out all over the desk I was sitting in. I tried rubbing it off, but it didn't really come up, so I used some scissors to gently scrape it off. I should mention that there was like a big carving mark on the desk already, so the teacher walked by and saw that and saw me with the scissors and started to freak out. Clearly I hadn't carved into the desk like that or there would have been wood shavings all over, so luckily I didn't really get in any trouble. Afterall, I was just trying to clean the desk.

Also, I've seen customers at work scam people for money because they don't want to break a $20. It's pretty pathetic.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By teh_destroyer
Slunks said:
"Yeah. I attempted to sell a friends WoW account (I don't play) and got a great deal for it. The money was going towards a new computer that I was building for him, but I was unfortunately scammed -- something that is easy to do no matter what safety precautions you take. Fortunately we got the account back a few months later, but it was a huge hassle. I don't remember what happened exactly (its been a bit), but I ordered his parts after I received the payment, but it somehow sent my bank account into the negatives because he scammed his money back after that. The account itself was worth over $300, and I was scared for my life. I took screenshots of the entire transaction and had pure evidence of giving him his account, but Paypal wouldn't do much of anything after hours of phone service and e-mails -- they just didn't care. I even had a recording of the conversation between me and a rep, but it's long gone.Since I was only getting one day a week at my job, I was screwed. Good thing I got it worked out after numerous phone calls between my bank and Paypal -- it was the only time in my life I've truly felt backed into a corner. I usually never allow things like this happen. My friend felt bad for me, and I felt bad for him. Scary times.Probably one of the worst days I've had. -- That gas story sucks, though! Yay for jerks."
that is pretty scary and a lot of money to be scammed away from you,good thing you got it all worked out.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By penguindust

I got mugged once by two homeless people after I bought them lunch.  I guess they needed it more than I, so I'm not sorry I tried to help.  It doesn't deter me from continuing to try and help others less fortunate than me when I can.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Maxszy said:
"Not in the states, but in Italy I walked into a gelato shop to get some gelato. Displayed they had three sizes displayed, small, medium and large. Though they were all a little big for what you thought that size should be. I got 2 of the "medio". (One for the other person I was with). Normally a medium gelato was about maybe 3 euros at the most. The person rang it up, and it came to 15 euros. I was a little shocked, and saw that below the register is where the "normal" sizes were shown. Needless to say.. I walked out of there over paying for gelato by more than double what it should of been. Ahh well, live and learn. Didn't make that mistake again."
You totally should have just walked out of there. I've done that before. I've been to a sandwich place, and they made my sandwich, and then told me the price (can't remember what it was, but it was super expensive), and I said I'm not paying that much for a sandwich, and began to walk out. They said something along the lines "You have to buy it, we've already made it". I just kept walking. There's nothing they can do.
Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gmanall

There are two types of people in the world Jackass's and Suckers

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Commando

I don't think so. When I do something nice that's risky I always try to watch myself first.

Like some guy on the side of the road the other day ran out of gas. The nearest gas station was 5 miles away, and he asked me to drive him there so he could get  a can of gas. I didn't want him in my truck, so I told him I had tow straps in the back, and that I would tow him there if he sat in his car and steered. So I did that. It was safer because he could've had a knife or something on him.
Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gmanall
Commando said:
"I don't think so. When I do something nice that's risky I always try to watch myself first.

Like some guy on the side of the road the other day ran out of gas. The nearest gas station was 5 miles away, and he asked me to drive him there so he could get  a can of gas. I didn't want him in my truck, so I told him I had tow straps in the back, and that I would tow him there if he sat in his car and steered. So I did that. It was safer because he could've had a knife or something on him.
"
Good idea, I just run then over and hope the cops don't find the body. lol
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well just because he had $20 of his own doesn't mean he didn't really need any extra money he could get. I mean, I'm sure any beggar gets whatever he can whenever he can, he doesn't stop after meeting a quota... As long as he's out of a job or whatever that is. I guess. Not that this guy was a beggar. Beggars don't have cars usually. Or they try to sell them if they do. Or something. I guess. Lol.