#1 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

Last summer I bought a new pc (Gateway FX6850-47c) since then I found out that it has been recalled by the manufacturer and that the store that I bought it from knew all about it.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/2011/02/recalled-computer-systems-on-sale-at-futureshop/

In Canada Futureshop (Best buy) as the worst reputation for this kind of crap, they will cheat, lie and sell you absurd overpriced extended warranty’s witch if you refuse than they will make you feel like you’re the dumbest asshole that ever set foot in their store. They have an unbelievable amount of registered complaints and penalty’s at the various Canadian consumers’ protections agencies.

Is Best buy that bad in the States or is it just a Canadian thing, is there worst stores in your region, share your horror stories.

#2 Posted by believer258 (11642 posts) -

The Best Buy near me isn't bad at all. I always get the regular ol' "You want warranty with that?" but I don't get looked at funny when I reply "Hell naw".

#3 Posted by TruthTellah (8549 posts) -

I have more instances of wishing store clerks would punch the crap out of jerk customers than the other way around.

#4 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Never ever.

Best buy horror story #1

Just kidding, Best buy in the continental U.S. is awful. My brother went laptop shopping there once and was asking if a particular laptop had a dedicated or integrated graphics, and the woman went up to read the little signs next to the products, and literally said, I am not kidding. "ohh, I don't know "[looks at laptop card] [GIVES MY BROTHER THE CARD AND ASKS HIM HIS OWN QUESTION.] Have you ever seen that Newegg commercial where the guy behind the camera asks a question and the clerk just straight up says' yeah I don't really know', best buy is exactly that in real life. It's not so much bad service, more stupidity and no customer service skills.

Best buy horror story #2

Best buy Mobile on the other hand? Absolutely terrible, I wanted to buy a Nexus S android phone back when it was new. It went fine, the guy said T-Mobile isn't officially at best buy retail, but he can always order it, so I said fine, and the order supposedly went through. That was probably two weeks before Christmas right. Well fast foward to January 4th, I got tired of waiting and went back to Best buy to see where my Nexus was, was it stuck in a shipping center? He wasn't the same guy I was with before, but he offered to check where it was. NEVER SHIPPED. The guy before didn't click send, and the order never went in. Well, my money is gone now, and I have no phone, so they scramble and say they can't do anything other than get me some best buy gift cards in the amount I spent, and try again. Yes, try again, after I waited weeks, the progress was erased. So I said, okay, give me some cards and we'll do this right now. "Uhh, no sir, we can only mail them to you, we can't give them to you in store..." So what does that mean, MORE WAITING. Come June, yes, June of that year, they finally arrive. By this time I had already gotten a new phone because I needed one, and now I am just sitting on 600 dollars of best buy money. I can't even remember what I spent that on, I don't really care, f*** best buy, that 600 dollars I begrudgingly spent there will be the last I will ever spend on that awful company.

#5 Posted by Jace (1092 posts) -

I once bought a USB wi-fi adapter at Best Buy. The woman at the register asked me if I wanted insurance. For giggles, I humored her and asked what might cause me to need insurance for a USB adapter.

Her response: "Uh, you know, power surges and stuff."

I wasn't mad or anything, it was just funny.

#6 Posted by Grimhild (721 posts) -

@believer258 said:

The Best Buy near me isn't bad at all. I always get the regular ol' "You want warranty with that?" but I don't get looked at funny when I reply "Hell naw".

Pretty much.

The shifty business practices suck, for sure. But in all fairness, working retail is the worst, so I usually cut cashiers some slack if they're kind of pissy for no apparent reason.

#7 Posted by BombcastGoldthwait (250 posts) -

I thought Canadians were peaceful people.

#8 Posted by TehBuLL (594 posts) -
@TruthTellah

I have more instances of wishing store clerks would punch the crap out of jerk customers than the other way around.

This. Also this post is about bad business practices. Not the clerk.
#9 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

The geek squad are not tech savvy at all. They can only help people who live under a rock their whole life, like Patrick Stars.

#10 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

@BombcastGoldthwait said:

We think about punching people but we don’t, we write letters instead.

#11 Posted by TruthTellah (8549 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

The geek squad are no tech savvy at all. They can only help people who live under a rock their whole life, like Patrick.

Still hitting Patrick while he's down? That's cold, ST.

#12 Posted by blueinferno (442 posts) -

The guys that work at my local EB Games are pretty cool, but they always hit me with the "$3 scratch guarantee?" or the "Buy the used copy instead?" or my personal favourite "Do you want to pre-order anything?". I know it's their job to sell promotions but it gets annoying.

#13 Posted by Jace (1092 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

The geek squad are no tech savvy at all. They can only help people who live under a rock their whole life, like Patrick.

I've seen them charge customers upwards of $140 to install patches.

#14 Posted by blueinferno (442 posts) -

@SmilingPig said:

We think about punching people but we don’t, we write letters instead.

If their was a plus/minus system on this site, I would give you a plus good sir.

#15 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@BombcastGoldthwait: Have you watched hockey?

#16 Posted by blueinferno (442 posts) -

I also feel like clerks have as much of a right to want to punch out shitty customers as customers have to punch out shitty clerks.

#17 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3500 posts) -

It really depends on the individual in front of you. Plenty of people at the Best Buy I work at are knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful, but we also have a few who don't know their department or need an attitude check. I'm glad the company is getting restructured though, it should improve the training process.

#18 Posted by BombcastGoldthwait (250 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver: Ahh, good point.

#19 Posted by acarab1981 (32 posts) -

I work retail. It's not an easy job and sometimes customers have unrealistic expectations. I once had a lady buy some GPS tracking watch for hiking. It's one of those impulse gift items that we never ever sell. She calls several times looking for help using it. I didn't claim to know anything about it and the description listed wasn't very helpful so I gave her the website for the company that makes it. She comes in a few days later to return it, complaining and claiming that the company that makes it was "very disappointed with us for selling a product we know nothing about." Yet somehow it didn't bother her that the company that makes the thing couldn't tell her anything about the thing either. I work in a store that any given day has $150k worth of merchandise, over 3000 skus, not counting special order stuff. Do you really expect me to know the details of every item we carry? It's not like I personally decide what we sell and what we don't.

#20 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Some days I want to punch all the customers, even the nice ones.

The solution on both ends is not to punch anyone.

#21 Posted by Vinny_Says (5687 posts) -

People who say they wish they could punch clerks have never worked retail in their life.

#22 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

Comic Shop employee in Pasadena.

She was so fucking annoying.

I was purchasing Spider-Man Noir and she kept trying to keep me from buying it because "I didn't look like someone who would enjoy superhero comics".

Me and my friend had just returned from practice, so we were in our jerseys and as soon as we walked in this hipster bitch was on us like white on rice.

"You don't read comics, stop kidding yourself. You should try Gamestop next store."

So do you know what I did? I purchased a Captain America costume and returned the next day.... I also took a picture of it and now use it as my default for everything. She made me into the man that I am today.

#23 Posted by Orbitz89 (229 posts) -

Futureshop is pretty terrible.. The one near me isn't as bad as yours is OP, but I've had my share of bad experiences.. But I've never once had a clerk treat me like an idiot for refusing their overpriced warranties. 

This one time years ago, I was in Futureshop looking for a laptop. I had decided on this Gateway Model ( lol go figure) It had good specs at the time I thought, and it wasn't very expensive for what was inside of it. So once I got home I set it up and everything.. But wait? what's this? I can't log on? well it's a new computer so this is fucked up. Apparently someone at the warehouse had been using the laptop before packaging it and sending it out to shipping. I was astounded that this could happen.. But i was able to return it to the store relatively easily. So it wasn't as bad as it could've been. I just got a Toshiba Laptop instead. 50 dollars more expensive but it was worth it because it was much better made.

#24 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I don't know man I never knew of stuff like that about futureshop or best buy. Me and my family have been buying a lot of stuff from a best buy (ranging from desktops, laptops, ipods to like minor stuff such as games) and never had a bad experience.

That really sucks though

#25 Posted by Orbitz89 (229 posts) -
@BestUsernameEver said:

Yeah Hockey can get pretty nuts. Why do you think Canadians are so good at it though? Got to get all that pent up aggression and suppressed anger out somehow eh? :)
#26 Posted by Jrad (621 posts) -

We have both Futureshop and Best Buy in Canada (in most provinces anyway) but they're owned by the same parent company. The major difference is that while Best Buy is commissions-free (excluding warranties), Futureshop has commissions.

I was trying to buy an HDTV at Futureshop once, and the sales guy kept trying to convince me to buy a shitty 720p display that cost more than the 1080p one I wanted. I told him I'm not using my TV to watch TV (I don't even have cable), I'm connecting it to my PC -- resolution (and to a lesser extent, response time) is the only thing that matters. Really pushy salespeople are the worst. I've had it for a year and a half now (writing this post on it, even) and I've never had any trouble, so fuck you Futureshop sales dude.

#27 Posted by pyromagnestir (4247 posts) -

@Dexter_Morgan_: The end of your story makes me smile. Although it would've been better if it were perhaps this:

@Dexter_Morgan_ said:

So do you know what I did? I purchased a Captain America costume and returned the next day.... I also took a picture of it and now use it as my default for everything. She made me into the man that I am today.

And then she dragged me round back and made a man outta me.

Now that's a story.

I've never personally felt the desire to punch a clerk in the face.

#28 Posted by Demoskinos (14563 posts) -

Not unless they are actively being assholes or rude. If your on the other side of the fence its equally awful to have to try to do your job and have people that just don't understand that your just doing your job and the store policies aren't your call. I usually give people slack most of the time. Dude is just trying to do his job and unless he is being an asshole about it then even if he fucks something up I'll give him some slack.

#29 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

@Dexter_Morgan_: The end of your story makes me smile. Although it would've been better if it were perhaps this:

@Dexter_Morgan_ said:

Now that's a story.

I like yours better. IT has a certain ring to it that find appealing.

#30 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

@Dexter_Morgan_ said:

I was purchasing Spider-Man Noir and she kept trying to keep me from buying it because "I didn't look like someone who would enjoy superhero comics".

Me and my friend had just returned from practice, so we were in our jerseys and as soon as we walked in this hipster bitch was on us like white on rice.

"You don't read comics, stop kidding yourself. You should try Gamestop next store."

Dude... Sounds like she was hitting on you...

#31 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

@Jrad said:

We have both Futureshop and Best Buy in Canada (in most provinces anyway) but they're owned by the same parent company. The major difference is that while Best Buy is commissions-free (excluding warranties), Futureshop has commissions.

I was trying to buy an HDTV at Futureshop once, and the sales guy kept trying to convince me to buy a shitty 720p display that cost more than the 1080p one I wanted. I told him I'm not using my TV to watch TV (I don't even have cable), I'm connecting it to my PC -- resolution (and to a lesser extent, response time) is the only thing that matters. Really pushy salespeople are the worst. I've had it for a year and a half now (writing this post on it, even) and I've never had any trouble, so fuck you Futureshop sales dude.

I did not know about the commission situation, that could explain a lot of bad things that happens at futureshop.

#32 Posted by Grimhild (721 posts) -

@Dexter_Morgan_ said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@Dexter_Morgan_ said:

Now that's a story.

I can't stop seeing you two as T.S. and Brodie from Mallrats now. It's kind of adorable.

#33 Posted by Omega (829 posts) -

I was a Futureshop employee for about a month. In my experience my coworkers were very nice and cool, even my supervisor. However the management staff was the worst. They were very hostile and tried their best to let you know they are better than you and that you can be replaced at any time. Futureshop is bad for the warranty stuff but the worst is how they expect you to push useless accessories on customers like $200 monster hdmi cables and whatever else because they get their money on those items the tv's and games and stuff they barely make any profit off of them.

They decided after a few weeks that I wasn't cut out for the Futureshop family because I was honest with the customers. Sometimes the sales clerks are total pricks but often they're just unwilling pawns in a much larger scheme by much bigger pricks. Try not to take it personally because they want to get a pay check they have families to feed and debts to pay and the guys like me who are not willing to lie to the customer end up without a job.

#34 Edited by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

@Grimhild said:

@believer258 said:

Pretty much.

The shifty business practices suck, for sure. But in all fairness, working retail is the worst, so I usually cut cashiers some slack if they're kind of pissy for no apparent reason.

Yeah, I felt real bad the last time I went into a Gamestop. I acted like a snarky dick to the poor clerk doing her job while she was standing beside her manager. She tried to get me to buy the used copy of the game I was there to get, purchase disc insurance, and place preorders. I rudely said no and made some cynical comment comparing Gamestop to a sleazy car dealership.

She looked sad and confused and turned to her manager for support as I climbed up on my high horse and galloped away with my new copy of Spec Ops: The Line. I felt huge remorse towards my misconduct afterwards like I just dropped a mortar of white phosphorus on a large refugee camp.

Moral of the story: buy everything from Amazon.ca and don't leave the house.

#35 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@blueinferno said:

The guys that work at my local EB Games are pretty cool, but they always hit me with the "$3 scratch guarantee?" or the "Buy the used copy instead?" or my personal favourite "Do you want to pre-order anything?". I know it's their job to sell promotions but it gets annoying.

I have actually requested to never be asked those questions again (I used to go into our local EB a lot) and was straight up told that they always have to ask them. That could have gone one of two ways, and it went the wrong one.

#36 Posted by Grimhild (721 posts) -

@billyhoush said:

@Grimhild said:

@believer258 said:

Pretty much.

Yeah, I felt real bad the last time I went into a Gamestop. I acted like a snarky dick to the poor clerk doing her job while she was standing beside her manager. She tried to get me to buy the used copy of the game I was there to get, purchase disc insurance, and place preorders. I rudely said no and made some cynical comment comparing Gamestop to a sleazy car dealership.

She looked sad and confused and turned to her manager for support as I climbed up on my high horse and galloped away with my new copy of Spec Ops: The Line. I felt huge remorse towards my misconduct afterwards like I just dropped a mortar of white phosphorus on a large refugee camp.

Moral of the story: buy everything from Amazon.ca and don't leave the house.

See? Pretty soon they're going to have Sarah McLachlan as their spokesperson from all the abuse. What will you do then, Billy? WHAT WILL YOU DO THEN?!

#37 Posted by BombcastGoldthwait (250 posts) -

@Orbitz89: @Orbitz89 said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

Yeah Hockey can get pretty nuts. Why do you think Canadians are so good at it though? Got to get all that pent up aggression and suppressed anger out somehow eh? :)

Canada, your on notice.

#38 Posted by Grimhild (721 posts) -

@BombcastGoldthwait:

That was amazing. I love watching the coaches of kid's teams. Some of them have so much pent up rage, bitterness, and regret of failed aspirations.

"Gimme yer lunch money, ya knob!"

#39 Posted by MAGZine (436 posts) -

@Orbitz89: @Orbitz89 said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

Canada, your on notice.

It's just for the fun, 'eh.

#40 Posted by Zleunamme (651 posts) -

@Vinny_Says said:

People who say they wish they could punch clerks have never worked retail in their life.

I agree with this statement. People should spend some time working in retail. They will see first hand the worst that humanity has to offer. I have worked in retail for a long time. No matter how hard you try to do your job or to accommodate people. It is never good enough and some customers think that they are entitled to everything. Those customers think it is okay to verbally abusive to others.

To the OP and everybody else. If a retailer engages in shady business practices or you had awful in-store experience. Take your money and shop somewhere else. Businesses who keep doing the wrong things will not last for long.

#41 Posted by BombcastGoldthwait (250 posts) -

@Grimhild: I love when he pointed at the kid after he tripped him like he was saying "If you got a problem with dat, meet me in the parking lot ya hoser!"

#42 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

@Grimhild said:

@Dexter_Morgan_ said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@Dexter_Morgan_ said:

Now that's a story.

I can't stop seeing you two as T.S. and Brodie from Mallrats now. It's kind of adorable.

I'm Brodie right?

#43 Posted by cheeseknight5 (23 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

Never ever.

Best buy horror story #1

Just kidding, Best buy in the continental U.S. is awful. My brother went laptop shopping there once and was asking if a particular laptop had a dedicated or integrated graphics, and the woman went up to read the little signs next to the products, and literally said, I am not kidding. "ohh, I don't know "[looks at laptop card] [GIVES MY BROTHER THE CARD AND ASKS HIM HIS OWN QUESTION.] Have you ever seen that Newegg commercial where the guy behind the camera asks a question and the clerk just straight up says' yeah I don't really know', best buy is exactly that in real life. It's not so much bad service, more stupidity and no customer service skills.

I work at Best Buy, and there are very few employees that actually know their departments. That's because the company has a pay cap set at like 12 bucks an hour, and anyone that's actually good with tech or customer service gets a job with Apple, Verizon, or T-mobile after a year or two. The best salesperson in my department just had her five-year anniversary with the company, and she got her annual raise denied because she didn't sell enough warranties. What incentive is there for her to stay with the company? Best Buy also has a habit of restructuring every four or five years, and the restructuring always manages to demote or lay off the most senior (generally the smartest and highest paid) employees.

I'm not apologizing for the company. My parents went to my own store and got incredibly shitty service. I tell friends and family to make sure that I am working before they shop there. Its unfortunate that the system in place is designed to keep employees from getting decent annual raises, and that the employees that do make 10 bucks an hour or more are the first to go in any restructuring. It pretty much guarantees that more than half of their staff has been on the job less than a year.

#44 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

@SmilingPig said:

@Dexter_Morgan_ said:

Dude... Sounds like she was hitting on you...

Na man. She wanted us to leave and wasn't very shy about it either.

#45 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Reading some of this, I continue to be impressed by the quality of service that my store at least attempts to provide. They're rather limited by the fact that everyone in the town around our branch is an unreliable ****, but once you join the company they'll keep you forever, and your number one priority is to make sure that your meeting the customer's needs.

The other day I gave somebody a small discount because they were buying a lot of cheese, right in front of my boss. She gave me a mildly scolding look and then went on with her day.

#46 Posted by Vonocourt (2123 posts) -

No, last time I got mad at a clerk was midday black Friday a couple years back. I'm sure any attitude he had was justified.

Really though, working at a concession stand at a movie theater makes me give any cashier the benefit of the doubt.

#47 Posted by mikethekilla (328 posts) -

Nope but I've been a store clerk and felt like punching the crap out of customers.