#1 Posted by gorkamorkaorka (442 posts) -

Have you ever seen anyone with a name related to some work of fiction like that? The best example I have is a girl I went to Sunday school with named Ozma. Not after the Final Fantasy IX boss or the Ra-seru but after The Wizard of Oz. This kind of stuff has been around for a long time (LOTR, D&D, Star Wars) so I'm surprised I haven't seen more of it.

In terms of real names, I don't want my son to have a boring name but I don't want it to sound stupid either. Might pick one out of history that sounds half normal.

#2 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I think it was when the Wii launched Gamespot had a live-thing going on and some dude there was named Triforce (middle or last name, not sure) 
He showed his ID and everything so that's probably the most nerdy name I've seen. 

#3 Posted by Yummylee (21242 posts) -

I've seen the advert with Robin William's daughter Zelda playing Skyward Sword if that counts.

#4 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

@Yummylee: This is all I got too.

#5 Posted by shinboy630 (1133 posts) -

Didn't Bethesda run some sort of thing where somebody named their kid Dovahkiin?

#6 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4277 posts) -

@shinboy630: Sadly.

#7 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

I've seen the advert with Robin William's daughter Zelda playing Skyward Sword if that counts.

at least zelda is kind of a real name.

that kid named dovahkin or whatever is fucked

#8 Edited by pyromagnestir (4235 posts) -

I would totally consider naming my son (should I ever have one) Tyrion.

edit: oh also I'd totally consider naming a theoretical daughter Arya.

#9 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -
@shinboy630 said:

Didn't Bethesda run some sort of thing where somebody named their kid Dovahkiin?

Yep.
#10 Posted by csl316 (8082 posts) -

My friend named her kid Raiden, so now people get to fight over how to say his name.

#11 Posted by gorkamorkaorka (442 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Yummylee said:

at least zelda is kind of a real name.

that kid named dovahkin or whatever is fucked

Zelda is a completely real name.@csl316 said:

My friend named her kid Raiden, so now people get to fight over how to say his name.

She can get away with Raiden. It's a real Japanese name at least. I think I'm going to go ahead and have my kid's middle name be Sephiroth.

#12 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

I think it was when the Wii launched Gamespot had a live-thing going on and some dude there was named Triforce (middle or last name, not sure) He showed his ID and everything so that's probably the most nerdy name I've seen.

You mean Isaiah "Triforce" Johnson? I still remember Jeff making a Daikatana joke about him on the following Hotspot.

Anyway, I've known a Mr Kirk and a guy who went by "G", but I'm fairly sure they both had nothing to do with their fictional namesakes. I also once knew a guy who legally changed his full name to his three initials, while we're on the topic of life-damaging naming misjudgements.

#13 Posted by DanteFaustEsq (109 posts) -

My true first name was nerdy long before it was coopted by a character on the big bang theory, needless to say I'm far less pleased with it then I was before.

#14 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@Yummylee: I would totally name my daughter Zelda.

Never really saw/knew anyone with a nerdy name myself however.
#15 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Elazul said:

@ZeForgotten said:

I think it was when the Wii launched Gamespot had a live-thing going on and some dude there was named Triforce (middle or last name, not sure) He showed his ID and everything so that's probably the most nerdy name I've seen.

You mean Isaiah "Triforce" Johnson? I still remember Jeff making a Daikatana joke about him on the following Hotspot.

Yeah, that might be him.
Just remember seeing a guy and his real name was Something Something Triforce. 
No quotation marks needed since it actually is his name and all that jazz. 
#16 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

You're saying I shouldn't name my kid Nyarlathotep?

#17 Posted by Svenzon (713 posts) -

I've seen several kids named Neo in my hometown. On the train the other day I heard someone call for a kid named Titus. Also, my girlfriend knows someone who changed her name to Leia and her son's middle name is Obi-Wan Kenobi.

#18 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

i met a drunk guy once who INSISTED he was masterchief. does that count?

#19 Posted by Chaser324 (6315 posts) -

I know someone who's middle name is Danger, that seems fairly nerdy to me.

#20 Posted by smcn (871 posts) -

@DanteFaustEsq said:

My true first name was nerdy long before it was coopted by a character on the big bang theory, needless to say I'm far less pleased with it then I was before.
Why should I change? He's the one who sucks.
#21 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

I'm naming my first son Peter Parker.

#22 Posted by Butano (1728 posts) -

Don't think it qualifies as nerdy, but I met a girl whose name was Holly Wood.

#23 Edited by XtremePudim (86 posts) -

I remember Acclaim had a marketing campaign where they would give parents $10,000 if they named their child Turok. Don't know if someone actually did it, but yea that happened, someone at Acclaim thought that was a good idea but I guess after you agree to publish BMX XXX you've proven there's no ethical or moral barrier you aren't willing to cross.

#24 Posted by Th3irdEye (251 posts) -

I met a girl named Jekyll Ann Hyde once. No joke.