#1 Posted by fetchfox (1260 posts) -

Here in Norway we've had this tradition for as long as I can remember (I'm a 24 old guy). The movie is Czech Three Wishes for Cinderella from 1973, and it's all dubbed by a single Norwegian. This isn't usual practice (we usually text all foreign movies) but this version is tradition for many, many people every christmas eve. I still watch (drinking black coffee and eating bacon of course).

What christmas traditions does your country have? TV or otherwise.

#2 Posted by Giantstalker (1635 posts) -
@fetchfox said:

(drinking black coffee and eating bacon of course).

Between this and all the metal, Norway sounds freaking awesome.
Relating to your question, though, in western Canada I think a lot of people end up watching Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, or for older folks, the classic Scrooge from 1951 (I prefer the black and white version, myself)
#3 Edited by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

Since 1960 all of Sweden gather in front of the TV at 3pm to watch From All of Us to All of You, which is insane.

"The show is one of the most popular shows all year in Sweden. Every year the viewers number between 3 million and 4.5 million in a country with just more than 9 million inhabitants."

#4 Edited by Szlifier (488 posts) -

Here in Poland there's been a pretty stupid tradition of showing Home Alone by one mediocre, but very popular comercial station. They tried to stop it a year ago and people were making petitions and posting on facebook to get it back for joke. The station brought it back... Maybe they are very self aware, but this shit was hilarious.

#5 Posted by Quipido (633 posts) -

I live in Czech Republic and I have never seen that movie (I am 26 years old now). I would watch it in Norwegian language dubbed by a single guy tho!

#6 Edited by rahulricky (210 posts) -
#7 Posted by UitDeToekomst (709 posts) -

Bacon? Coffee? Weird-ass Czech movies dubbed in Norwegian?

Are you sure you're in Norway and not heaven?

#8 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3203 posts) -

Proof that this isn't a small world. Cultural diversity ftw.

#9 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

I've seen that movie and its a pretty good version of the story, funny comments and moments as well. I get why it is sent every year. :)

#10 Posted by CaLe (3959 posts) -

Something about a snowman that flies.

#11 Edited by Froghourt (108 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

Since 1960 all of Sweden gather in front of the TV at 3pm to watch From All of Us to All of You, which is insane.

"The show is one of the most popular shows all year in Sweden. Every year the viewers number between 3 million and 4.5 million in a country with just more than 9 million inhabitants."

We Danes do the same. I have been watching that show since before I can remember.

Edit: Also, Scandinavia representing!

#12 Posted by Ares42 (2624 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

Norwegian here who used to take part in that tradition too. Watching it on the swedish channel =D Think they started airing it on a norwegian channel a few years ago.

#13 Posted by Drebin_893 (2910 posts) -

In England the Queen makes a speech every Christmas.

#14 Posted by stonepawfox (236 posts) -
#15 Posted by Pink_o_mat (203 posts) -

Three Wishes for Cinderella and Little Lord Fauntleroy are on TV all the time over the holidays here in Germany. 9 - 12 times each. It's impossible to miss!

#16 Edited by fetchfox (1260 posts) -

@UitDeToekomst said:

Bacon? Coffee? Weird-ass Czech movies dubbed in Norwegian?

Are you sure you're in Norway and not heaven?

Considering the amount of snow outside we're close to being on clouds.

@Froghourt said:

@Cincaid said:

We Danes do the same. I have been watching that show since before I can remember.

Edit: Also, Scandinavia representing!

Same here! They also send that on NRK1.

#17 Edited by Claude (16255 posts) -

Every Christmas I hold a limp penis because I drank too much alcohol.

#18 Posted by Brother_PipPop (253 posts) -
@stonepawfox

in the US, the tv network TNT shows A Christmas Storyfor 24 hours in a row

Pssst I think it's TBS, but I may be very wrong.
#19 Posted by stonepawfox (236 posts) -

@Brother_PipPop: you're probably right, i don't know anything about tv anymore

#20 Posted by rahulricky (210 posts) -

@Drebin_893: and this year it can be seen in 3D.....presumably next year we'll get the Queen in HFR too.