Explain your Giant Bomb username and avatar image!

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By poisonjam7

So a lot of the regulars on this site are recognized by their usernames and/or avatar images. Some of the avatars make sense in relation to their usernames, others are more related to personal tastes and some are extremely weird and part of the reason I made this topic. So here - I'll start by explaining mine:

If you aren't familiar, that is a picture of Bayonetta. I love the game and I really like this picture too. I believe it is a concept drawing. I also have no shame in admitting that I think Bayonetta is super hot, and I think her hotness is exemplified in this drawing. That's about it! After Ryan's passing I used the "Love Ryan Davis" image for an entire year before changing it to this.

My username, PoisonJam7 is taken from a character in Jet Set Radio Future - a game I don't really like all that much (nowhere near as much as Bayonetta) but I remember when I heard the name Poison Jam I thought it was really cool and unique. I also like the "Jam" part of the name, as I'm also a musician. The 7 is because "PoisonJam" was taken and 7 is both my favorite name and the day I was born on.

So yeah, there's my story. I look forward to hearing about everyone else's!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Nightriff, just a dumb name I thought of years and years ago. I usually use NTylerWeTrust for accounts now but for whatever reason when I created my account here in 2011 I went with old Nightriff

Image is of the Japanese Dreamcast box art, they talked about how dumb and funny it was on a bombcast in....2012(?) and after that podcast and looked up the image, I haven't looked back since.

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Bleshoo is what I say when people sneeze. Picture is of a dog wearing a helmet, on the back of a motorcycle I saw once.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Veektarius was an uncreative spin on a popular mispronunciation of my name that I used in Everquest years and years ago. I've rarely used it in a game since but I've gone by it on a few message boards. I kind of doubt I'll ever use it again.

The image is from Red Alert 3, from one of the most hilarious lines in that entire game. (Man was the Japanese campaign a letdown after the other two) As soon as I find something better, I'll replace it, but those are big shoes to fill...

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

The name... well, when I went to go set up my GB account I didn't really have a good idea for a name. (To be honest I've never been good with making up monikers of any kind. I've had plenty that involved my set of initials followed by a year of some sort to give you an idea of how creative I've been in the past. I also pretty frequently just call my game characters either Batman or Sinatra.) Then it just came to me, "The man with no plan". It felt right at the time, so nothing special unfortunately.

As far as the avatar (Which I've dubbed the Sinatratar, because it sounds cooler.), I've always been a huge fan of ol' blue eyes. So it seemed to fit as well.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Redhotchilimist

Used to go have Mist and then Redmist as my handle on older forums when I was much younger because I thought Misty on Pokemon was cool. Since then, Kick-Ass came out, and one of the main characters go by Redmist. I have never been able to use it since, it's always taken, so I just add some words to Redmist wherever I need to register an account. Redhotchilimist was supposed to be a reference to Viewtiful Joe, but it's actually more of a reference to the band or artists Red Hot Chili Peppers, isn't it? Didn't give it much thought.

My avatar is an image of Bayonetta with a big, bald head and ginger beard drawn on top of her, because that's what I look like. One of my friends did it for a laugh at some point. I couldn't not use it.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sooo i changed my user name earlier this year. I changed it from Skyfire543. That name I've been using since the early 2000's for just about everything. It didn't come from anywhere in particular. It just sounded cool to my young brain. "The sky is pretty cool, fire is really cool too. Oh this name is taken? welll.... I don't know 543, sure that's a number." Something like that.

I use Clairvoyant Vibrations for most things now. A bit wordy, sure, but I like it. Most people just shorten it to Clair so it's no big deal. I got it from a page in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban where Professor Trelawney gets angry at Hermione for disrupting her classrooms 'clairvoyant vibrations'. The two words clicked in my head in a cellar door type way so I changed my Steam name to it, then eventually my GB name.

My user picture is a quick drawing I did years ago of a gorilla wearing sunglasses holding the Quake 2 rail gun. Gorillas are cool, the best part of Quake 2 is the rail gun. Kind of a perfect combination. I changed it to a "CHINA DON'T CARE" style "THANKS RYAN DAVIS" for a while after he passed away, though. Just changed back to Quake 2 gorilla recently.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

My username: ... All glory to the Hypno Toad! It's a futurama referance about a toad that hypnotizes people. Almost my whole life I went with HurricanIvan29 because my name is Ivan and in 3rd grade during the actual hurricane Ivan, in the gulf coast i believe, a friend referred to me as that. Wanted to get away from that name and I impulsively changed it to HypnoToadBrwowrowrow. This is the only place I use that since it was impulse. I'm using QuickFixMedic everywhere else because im a paramedic and I see what we do as a quick fix. Thought about "quickfixup" but that could be taken as a drug reference.

Avatar: I never had a favorite superhero as a kid (Gambit from x-men was closest cause of his unique power) until I read the article "The Motherfuckin Flash," and just about died laughing. Learning about all of the crazy powers flash had that I didn't even know about, and watching how Wally West was portrayed in Justice League (funny and quick witted), quickly made him my favorite. I was a sprinter in all of my sports career and was also one of the fastest kids in my school district so I was also naturally drawn to The Flash.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Frosty was my name on a journalistic website I wrote for a couple years ago.

Mitsuru Kirijo is Mitsuru fucking Kirijo.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I shouldn't like to.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Hi, I'm Sanj and I like croissants.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User name is what I came up with for neverwinter nights many years ago. It sort of just stuck.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I started using the username SMTDante or some derivative of it after playing Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne which was my first SMT game, as well as my first taste of the Devil May Cry series in any real way.

My profile picture is of my dog who sadly passed away almost a year ago to the day.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Name is from some dumb joke Jeff made during a bombcast...or might have been a quick look actually. I don't even remember at this point. I just thought it was hilarious so I went with it. Also the name of some child's toy apparently I guess.

As for the avatar, Felicia is objectively the best video game character ever created.

brutushayesosu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By brutushayesosu

brutushayesosu. It's a combination of Brutus Buckeye and Woody Hayes and OSU (Ohio State). I graduated from OSU in 2007 and I remember seeing a statue of a Brutus/Woody Hayes combination and I guess that stuck in my head. There were a lot statues being made to help fund the building of a the new library on campus. Hey my badge should be gold ;(

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Cyborg Ninja

Initials+Austin 3:16

AOL in the late 90's

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It's my name, and that's my dog (RIP Saga).

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By AlexW00d

It's my name, but with 0s cause someone already had it without on Twitter, and I wanted uniformity.

I didn't know what to use and I think this was in the hey look at these images to use section when I made my account.

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beta Band. My favourite band. Image is from one of their EP's called Los Amigos del Beta Bandidos.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

My name is the same one I use pretty much everywhere. I don't really need to explain its origin, as it's quite clear if you stare at it long enough (and in certain ways).

The picture is something I've changed pretty frequently. Currently, I have it as a pic of Wata Megumi, a fairly new and quite interesting indie JPOP artist. In the past, I've used other JPOP artists (such as Yasuha Kominami), the feMC from Persona 3 Portable, and Lumina from Lightning Returns. I like things that are cute or colorful, and I often change them up when I'm in the mood.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By cornbredx

I've used cornbredx on forums since almost the beginning of the internet as we know it today. My first username (that I recall anyway-because I don't remember my actual very first screen name as they used to be called) was FoxWolfian (which I still use in MMOs and games where I can put in a name). I came up with Fox Wolfian when RP chat rooms was a thing on AOL. It was a character I invented there, and have since been trying for years to write a novel about because I have awesome ideas for it. I won't get into the long storied history of Fox Wolfian, though. There's a lot more behind that name too.

In highschool my nickname was cornbread because I ate the school cornbread regularly (my friends didn't like it so I'd eat it). Because I'm an introvert, and don't care what people think about it, I changed it to Cornbred because at the time I really liked Korn (ya ya, gaming... religion...) and Stephen King. Children of the Corn was a thing for both of them so it starts to come together.

I've always been a big fan of Lewis Carroll because one of the big things you can take away from him is he didn't have a problem with creating words. They just have to mean something. Every word comes from somewhere. So I invented the word Cornbred (born of corn) because of these various inspirations.

I added X to the end of it because of the whole X generation thing. Funny enough- I haven't been into wrestling since I was 8 years old and found out it was fake, but everyone talks about it all the time. I had learned around that time- this idea of the different generations (GI generation, silent generation, baby boomers, generation Y/Millenials, Generation Z [this is actually a newer one that didn't exist at the time], and Generation X/MTV generation). I intentionally have Generation X out of order in that list. Technically, apparently, I'm a Millennial (it was called Generation Y when I was in school), but I've always preferred Generation X because of the ideal that Generation X doesn't want to be defined. I always liked being different, and I hate being pigeonholed. I also consider it the better of most of the generations- it seems like all the best stuff we have now began with Generation X. We lost something when Generation X degraded. (Edit: I should add that when any Generation begins and ends is not an actual fact, so due to the year I was born I could argue I am Generation X).

So, anyway. That's why my username is cornbredx. Since I've had it for sooooo long I just use it everywhere.

I've had many different avatars, but most commonly I will use a Cheshire cat drawing from American McGee's Alice. One time someone on here posted how people wouldn't post the way they do if they had to show what they look like, and everyone knew who you were. I am who I am on the internet, and in real life so I didn't see any reason I couldn't use a goofy picture of myself on here. I've started to prefer that. I have a more recent one I've been considering changing it to, eventually, as well.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Detroit Tigers have an Olde English D on their hat. I just replaced the D with my first initial.

Loading Video...

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I decided to use a number as my username because I needed a new username at the time and ended up thinking about how numbers at the end of a username never look very good. So I decided to be the number. I started out using 11th, and then 12th as an account name that no one saw. A few years later I used 47th, 48th, 49th, 50th, and 51st as character names in Battlefield Heroes and ended up sticking with 49th everywhere.

My avatar is simply a screen grab from this QOTSA video. I actually randomly found someone on steam recently with almost exactly the same avatar as me but the crow has an open mouth.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

My name is Ajay and I think Ayane is cool.

Oobir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I was 12 or 13 I wrote down a bunch of fake band names, and Oobir was the one I liked the best. The av is a Civilization II unit someone kindly drew for me for a mod I didn't end up finishing. It's nicely made and unusual so I have it rep me.

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By innacces14

Back in Junior High a friend mentioned the band INXS and I asked "why can't they just spell it as i-n-n-a-c-c-e-s..." you get the picture. hahaha

"Who are all these characters?"

"You're too young to remember the short-lived Itchy & Scratchy & Friends Hour. They had to have friends. There's Disgruntled Goat, Uncle Ant, Ku Klux Klam..."

"Oh, yeah. They weren't very funny."

"I don't know. Disgruntled Goat had his moments."

Hi_Im_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My name is Greg, and I like Mega Man.

Its also my xbox live name.

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Novis

Used to write stupid fanfiction and Novis was the name I came up for one of the characters. I usually use Neo-Shadow from kingdom hearts because I thought the name sounded cool, but it was taken here.

As for the avatar, I made an account so I could watch premium stuff, and never really intended to go into the forums too often. I like watching.

sqrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PoisonJam7 was already taken. Picture is from a Bis album.

PatODay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My name is Patrick O'Day. Jason from Home Movies is an accurate cartoon representation of me, I think.

Meorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My username comes from a card my wife got me a long time ago. On the front was a drawing of a cat with the text "ALL HAIL MEORROW G'NARR" and on the inside it said something like "Translated that means the bringer of food and changer of litter." I needed to make a character in WoW and the card was on my desk. Meorrow wasn't taken and it's been one of my character/usernames ever since.

My avatar is a Flaming Zonkey. Zonkeys are a cross between a zebra and a donkey and I think the name is hilarious. Zonkey became another character/username for me. I also wanted to start up a blog/podcast/YouTube channel, and for some reason Flaming Zonkey sounded dumb so I picked it and threw together an avatar for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get my name from a combination of two things: My nickname Moot was given to me by a stupid friend. Don't ask. And No i'am not the same guy that made 4Chan, i'am much older and got this name years in advance of him existing on the internet. It's just a hilarious coincidence that I get his emails, twitter spam, death threats and general hate thrown at me. You have no idea how many times I have had to explain this.

And the other half of my name "TheReal" comes from my old MSN/Hotmail account auto generating me a name. It stuck. I still use it on pretty much everything but steam.

My avatar is a picture of the little devil duck squeaky toy that Georgia Lass has in Dead Like me on her desk at Happy Time. My favourite TV show, and just a random little thing I like and associate with the show.

soul101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By soul101

Username: some stupid screen name i've had for 20 years...not that exciting I guess

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Naoiko
Loading Video...

My sn is just a name I came up with at random...and my icon is from a Japanese anime (with each episode being the size of a commercial) called Mameshiba. I really love Mameshibas ( Bean dogs), as they are adorable. They show up in the show and give people random trivia, and usually freak people out with said trivia.

fyrtail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By fyrtail

When I was in middle school I was super in to the Warriors books. Because cats are cool, shut up. Anyways, I took one of those silly "What's your warrior cat name?" quizzes that spits out an answer based on the first letter of your name and birth month. I got "Firetail" and thought it was pretty great, but it tends to be already taken when you create accounts. If you swap the i-e with a y, it's never taken!

Concerning my avatar, it's Polar Bear Cafe. 469MA is the greatest rapper of our generation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Random name generator for my old old main WoW character. It stuck online for me.

BIIIIIIIIGGGGG BOOOOOOO. An edit I made for that creepy redhead thread that was around during the same time.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar: Gre-chan from the Robot Girls Z anime.

Username: Got it from a username generator way back in the day when I was young and signed up for an account on the Cartoon Network website.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I got this name from the Star Wars Galaxies forums. It was the first videogame I ever got excessively hyped over, to the point of registering on their forums and spending way too much time posting and perusing topics. Since it was 2001 and I was a 15 year old punk unlearned in the internet arts, I had no idea what forum naming conventions were. I saw the example "rebel nerfherder" on their account creation page and assumed that indicated the general naming motif for the site. Imagine my surprise when I finished registering and realized how crappy my name was. :-P I think Roatso, Thunderheart, VanMorrison, and Caella had much better names than mine, hehe. Oh, and being able to remember forum names from 14 years ago is a very good indicator of excessive wasted time!

Anyhoots... I got used to the name, and I still use it on a few sites here and there. It normally isn't a problem, unless America does something stupid. Then I get a lot of, "lazy and imperialistic... how fitting for an American douche" comments. Haha, good times. As for the picture, I never bothered to change it. I kind of like the Giantbomb bomb. The grin is adorable. :-D

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Name is a blend of my name (Ken) and Y2K, which I liked because I needed to come up with a username around the late 90s when people were discussing the upcoming millennium and I liked the tie-in between Y2K (year 2000) and the Chris Jericho Y2J/Y2Jericho thing. Stuck with that pretty much ever since, because I like consistency (if I can't get it, it's usually KenY2Ken).

My picture is one I've used as an avatar for years, of a roadsign with a Lord of the Rings reference. I have no recollection where I got it, or what its actual origin is. I've been using that about as long as I've had the username, so I've just stuck with it. Sometimes I use one that just has my username in fancy font but it's a little plain. I've contemplated changing it but I don't know what I'd use - and on a forum like this one where I've been around for a long time I know I recognise a lot of users quickly by their avatars so I'm disinclined to alter mine drastically.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad Brains is a pun on the hardcore punk band "Bad Brains" and my name

avatar was something random I decided to use 6 years ago and because I had it so long I decided to keep it.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#42  Edited By nophilip

Nophilip has been my online username for the last, oh let's say 13 years or so. Picked it up when I was 12 or 13. Totally don't remember why. I'm not named Philip and don't really know anyone named that either. When people I game with speak it aloud (mostly when I used to play LOTR Online back in the day) they tend to abbreviate it to "Noph" or "Phil".

My avatar is Dr. McNinja, who is great.

Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slurpelve came from a random nickname generator I found using the root word Slurpee.

My avatar is Gyro Zeppeli from JoJo Bizarre Adventure: Steel Ball Run, Huge fan of the manga, anime and Hirohiko Araki.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ripelivejam

modified old username. I like scruffy.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back in the early 00s I would use a friends forum with the name Monkey6. They would call me monkey man and I like it so much I decided to use Monkeyman as my username on other sites. I don't know why I use the numbers 04.

My avatar is a mixture of the gb logo and timbers.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The name is from when I made a 3 month xbox live free trial account to play Halo 2 with. It just kind of stuck around with me for the past 10 years.

The avatar is Ser Pounce sitting on the Iron Throne as is his right.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar - I like Star Scream's character. Such a cunning weasel who's always trying to overthrow his leader. He had a wicked sense of humour too. If he was a real person though he would be a downright cunt.

Username - I like Star Wars and this guy delivered his line perfectly.

Loading Video...

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By stonyman65

Stonyman - The name of the secret black-ops unit in Don Pendleton's The Executioner book series and the name of a mountain trail in the Appalachian Mountains

65 - just two random numbers. I think it was for some old username where I needed numbers as well. I don't really remember.

Dark Helmet avatar - I'm a huge Spaceballs fan. The GB4L and NWO tags were from when Giant Bomb moved into the CBSi offices and everyone added NWO or GB4L tags to their avatars for the GB takeover lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

My username (sonny6killer) I got from Chuck Barris. For those who don't know he created and hosted a bunch of tv shows in the 60's and 70's, and he later wrote a book claiming he was a hit man for the CIA. My username was one of the aliases he used. There's a great movie based off his book called Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.

As for the pic, Big Boss is cool.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#50  Edited By DarthOrange

"Orange County Star Wars Fan" seemed too long so I went with DarthOrange. As for my avatar, I edit the same Charizard every once in a while adding various things. Right now I am rocking Charizard holding Thor's hammer while Avengers Tower is in the background.

Here are the other various avatars I have used.