#1 Edited by Nightriff (5147 posts) -

Source, Source

This is crazy and my thoughts and prays go out to the victims of this attack

Video of Explosion

There has now been a reported 3rd explosion

#2 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

There are some nasty pictures being circulated, this is looking pretty bad :(

#3 Edited by Milkman (17007 posts) -

I've seen a lot of people throwing around the word "bomb." Has this been confirmed? Are we sure the explosions weren't accidental? I know it's doubtful but still...

#4 Edited by casper_ (907 posts) -

only about a half mile away from me. big noise then sirens everywhere.

#5 Edited by Iodine (549 posts) -

@milkman Nothing has been confirmed yet, not even how many people are injured/dead/

Thoughts out to any duders with ties to boston, hope you guys are safe

#6 Edited by Ben_H (3381 posts) -

Just read about this. What the hell. Pictures show people with missing limbs apparently. Hopefully no fatalities but this is still so screwed up. I hope they're OK.

#7 Edited by casper_ (907 posts) -

@milkman: apparently at the time of the explosion some suspicious packages were being investigated on boylston

#8 Edited by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

CNN reporting that people are laying around having lost limbs from the blast. Chaos right now.

#9 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Oh no... :(

#10 Posted by kishinfoulux (2394 posts) -

Casualties have been confirmed.

I don't want to sound like an asshole, but I hope this teaches people to stop joking around about North Korea and things of that nature. I know this isn't confirmed as a terrorist act, but things like this could happen anytime and anywhere. We are NOT invincible like some think we are. So let's stop with antagonizing them ok?

#11 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

yeah this is fucked up. i actually had to make sure my sister wasn't there since she was thinking of running but luckily she had to work.

#12 Posted by Marokai (3060 posts) -

A few people are confirmed dead, and dozens of others having serious injuries. Lots of really graphic and awful pictures floating around right now. Apparently another "device" of some sort has been found nearby, and one of the explosions seems like it came from inside a sports shop nearby. I'd say this is almost certainly deliberate.

#13 Posted by JJOR64 (19020 posts) -

Been keeping up with this on Twitter. Wow... just wow.

#14 Posted by JasonR86 (9742 posts) -

I just heard about it. Those poor people. I wonder who did this and why.

#15 Edited by lithiumproject (32 posts) -

Very, very distressing images surfacing.

#16 Posted by TruthTellah (9308 posts) -

At least half a dozen injured, four confirmed in the local hospital. CNN is reporting that police are investigating a suspicious package nearby.

I don't think it is an absolute that this is an "attack", as it could still be an accident, but the police are certainly taking all necessary precautions in case it is an attack.

#17 Edited by Hawkerace (281 posts) -

Somebody I know is at the Boston marathon, but they weren't anywhere near the area. From the size of those explosions I'd say its probably local/amateur work.

#18 Edited by BigJeffrey (5074 posts) -
Could not have said it better myself

#19 Edited by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Wow...

#20 Posted by Hunkulese (2785 posts) -

I don't want to sound like an asshole, but I hope this teaches people to stop joking around about North Korea and things of that nature. I know this isn't confirmed as a terrorist act, but things like this could happen anytime and anywhere. We are NOT invincible like some think we are. So let's stop with antagonizing them ok?

You people are the worst.

#21 Posted by TruthTellah (9308 posts) -

The moment of the explosions.

http://s3.jrnl.ie/media/2013/04/cbs-news-boston-marathon.jpg

#22 Edited by Iodine (549 posts) -

But we gotta do it for the lulz man!

But really, it's times like this that remind me that the world is a very scary place

#23 Posted by jimmyfenix (3858 posts) -

why are people posting pictures and videos of the explosion ? people have died show some respect

#24 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

I have a lot of close friends in Boston and I'm hoping they're all okay. Haven't heard from them yet.

Hope whoever is behind this shit if it was deliberate gets caught and rots in fucking hell.

#25 Posted by Marokai (3060 posts) -

Apparently one of the explosions was near the VIP section where Newtown families were seated.

#26 Posted by Jams (2962 posts) -

It never ends does it?

#27 Edited by Hawkerace (281 posts) -

@jimmyfenix said:

why are people posting pictures and videos of the explosion ? people have died show some respect

Nobody was killed. Half a dozen injured. How is showing something that has happened disrespectful? Don't be so dumb.

edit: Oh maybe some have died. That's not good.

#28 Edited by Krullban (1042 posts) -

Apparently another bomb was found at UMass' JFK Library.

#29 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

@jimmyfenix said:

Nobody was killed. Half a dozen injured. How is showing something that has happened disrespectful? Don't be so dumb.

It's not showing pictures of the chaos that's disrespectful. It's the news broadcasts and webpages showing images of people who had limbs blown off from this shit for clicks and views that are disrespectful.

#30 Posted by Marokai (3060 posts) -

@hawkerace said:

@jimmyfenix said:

There are several reports of multiple casualties. And there are way more than "half a dozen" injured. Blood practically painted the street the bomb went off on. Don't be daft.

#31 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

I fucking hate this kind of shit.

#32 Edited by EuanDewar (5029 posts) -

literally half of this person i know's school went to this marathon

what the fuck

#33 Edited by RecSpec (3851 posts) -

Is there another source besides Fox News that is reporting casualties? At least there isn't as many injuries as it looked like initially, scary stuff.

#34 Posted by HiImRocktimus (27 posts) -

Insane. Please send thoughts, prayers, whatever it is you believe in or chose to give, to those in Boston.

#36 Posted by Ben_H (3381 posts) -

@recspec said:

Is there another source besides Fox News that is reporting casualties? At least there isn't as many injuries as it looked like initially, scary stuff.

Not that I have seen. Reuters, CBC and a few others have just said injuries so far. I don't trust Fox's claims either.

#37 Edited by TruthTellah (9308 posts) -

It's a developing story. Pictures of explosions at the scene are understandable. Posting pictures of severely injured or dead individuals might be questionable. I agree that those on twitter sharing the most gruesome images of people's limbs and such is probably past the line.

#38 Posted by Marokai (3060 posts) -

Apparently there's been a third explosion, though it's suspected to be a controlled explosion from the bomb squad investigating another package. There was also a serious fire at the JFK library almost immediately after these explosions; though there's no confirmed link between the two events yet. But still.

#40 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

@recspec said:

Nobody is reporting casualties because even the most seriously injured victims were taken to hospital within minutes.

#41 Posted by Ben_H (3381 posts) -

@marokai said:

Apparently there's been a third explosion, though it's suspected to be a controlled explosion from the bomb squad investigating another package. There was also a serious fire at the JFK library almost immediately after these explosions; though there's no confirmed link between the two events yet. But still.

That was confirmed to be a controlled explosion from the bomb squad, it was put out over police radio systems.

#42 Posted by Jams (2962 posts) -

@ben_h said:

@marokai said:

That was confirmed to be a controlled explosion from the bomb squad, it was put out over police radio systems.

So we know now that it wasn't an accident right?

#43 Posted by Marokai (3060 posts) -

Yeah, if there's been controlled explosions investigating other suspicious packages, this was almost certainly a deliberate incident.

#44 Edited by TruthTellah (9308 posts) -

Remember, guys. We should take most things with a big grain of salt right now. It's a developing story with a lot of conflicting and unconfirmed information.

#45 Edited by Benny (1953 posts) -

@jams said:

@ben_h said:

@marokai said:

They probably aren't blowing things up for fun.

Edit: I read here that there are ball bearings everywhere.

#46 Posted by rentfn (1282 posts) -

My cousin ran the marathon and is staying at the Lenox hotel that is right there. He said the hotel is locked down but people are gathering together.

#47 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Interesting to see who the media go after.

Who's gonna get the blame?

#48 Posted by JJOR64 (19020 posts) -
#49 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

what does north korea have to do with anything?

#50 Posted by TruthTellah (9308 posts) -

@benny said:

@jams said:

@ben_h said:

@marokai said:

They probably aren't blowing things up for fun.

They could be blowing up a suspicious object out of an abundance of caution, as well, but it does seem to suggest that they are treating this as a planned event.