Explosions at Boston Marathon Today

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Wow. The Boston PD has confirmed that there was an explosion at the JFK Library and they are treating it as a possibly related event.

Tobiass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Tobiass

I'm gonna guess who it is.

it was probably Aryan Nation.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

...why?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By toowalrus

Doesn't matter.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Optix12

Its as if CBS did not care as to what the Police officer just said, now reporting there was a third explosion treating it as another incident "unsure if anyone is injured there" even though when they heard about it he CLEARLY stated it was a controlled explosion.

Edit: at least i swear he said it was a controlled explosion.
thanks to @wacomole for updating me on the situation. I was watching something subbed in the process so my attention was separated.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#106  Edited By Jams

@tobiass said:

Why does everyone keep saying that? Did I miss something in the news?

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Wacomole
@optix12 said:

Its as if CBS did not care as to what the Police officer just said, now reporting there was a third explosion treating it as another incident "unsure if anyone is injured there" even though when they heard about it he CLEARLY stated it was a controlled explosion.

Edit: at least i swear he said it was a controlled explosion

You were probably not paying as close attention as them. He confirmed the controlled explosion, but he ALSO confirmed a separate explosion outside the JFK library about half an hour ago. This is clearly an ongoing situation, explaining why they were telling people to stay indoors.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I take a nap and wake up to this shit! The fuck is going on out there!?!?

Jesus, my thoughts are with the whole Boston/New England area.. =(

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By mellotronrules

heart goes out to the people in boston. hope all members and loved ones of the community are safe, if you need anything let us know.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

@snail said:

@zoozilla said:

This whole year has made me seriously question my faith in the essential goodness of humanity.

What? Why? Because of nutjobs with bombs? That marginal group of terrible people is not at all representative of the whole of humanity.

It's not just the nutjobs, it's how people react to these sorts of incidents and use them for their own gain. Not only has there been some truly awful reporting, but the rise of Twitter makes it easy to see people's ugly side come out when faced with tragic events.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Turambar

@jams said:

@tobiass said:

You missed the assassination of two (or was it more) state attorneys and prosecutors in the south, and the Aryan nation is suspected to be responsible.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Man, my dad would have been running that marathon if he hadn't changed his mind to run the Halifax marathon instead. Also, my brother bought some running shoes yesterday from the store that was bombed and would have been there if he wasn't so busy with school work. I need a drink.

I couldn't imagine what it would be like to lose someone from an incident like this.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar said:

@brodehouse: Well, did you really expect anything different out of Fox?

As far as Fox is concerned, the only bad people are Muslim people. At least that's certainly the way it seems much of the time.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@snail said:

@zoozilla said:

This whole year has made me seriously question my faith in the essential goodness of humanity.

What? Why? Because of nutjobs with bombs? That marginal group of terrible people is not at all representative of the whole of humanity.

I agree - it is far easier to destroy than it is to create or protect. If anything, the aftermath of this horrible event has highlighted some of humanity's greatness.

Emergency medical care and attention

Bomb squad personnel

Police oversight and provision of order

Rapid response by the armed forces to assist the Boston police

Let alone the random small acts of humanity such as a story of a cook who tied his apron around a woman's leg to help stop the bleeding.

Beyond that there was the good work which went into the organisation of the Boston marathon, including (from an Aussie perspective) a great campaign to help some indigenous Australians live out their dreams of running the marathon.

Humanity is awesome - don't let the exceptions cloud that truth.

I just hope the men and women in the US intelligence agencies can track down who did this - assuming the bastards don't step forward.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

@hiimrocktimus: I'm talking about the initial blast. They barely flinched. They turned around like a mosquito touched their ear or something. They eventually started reacting, but if a massive deafening blast that's about 10 feet behind me were to go off, I'm pretty sure I'd flinch harder than that.

This is the type of stuff that conspiracy theorists thrive on. I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means. I'm just saying that, after seeing that video the first and 60th time...it's an odd thing and one of the biggest things I noticed. People can take all that for whatever they want.

Mind you, none of this is to say my thoughts and sorrow aren't going out to the lives affected by this. It's something that I hate to see happen in any country, state, or city. I'm just hoping they can get some answers soon as to what the hell happened.

I don't even know what the fuck you're implying. That the cops had something to do with it? I dunno...

But it's fucking idiotic.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah yeezz.. :( Messed out stuff.
Thoughts go out to those affected.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#117  Edited By Snail

@zoozilla said:

@snail said:

@zoozilla said:

It's not just the nutjobs, it's how people react to these sorts of incidents and use them for their own gain. Not only has there been some truly awful reporting, but the rise of Twitter makes it easy to see people's ugly side come out when faced with tragic events.

Like what? Awful reporting has always existed: radicalist news sources and cheap online editorial websites looking for hits aren't exactly new.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i realize this opens me to ridicule, but for those who are having trouble dealing with the negativity, mr. rogers (of all people) is quoted as,

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.'"

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NBCSN26m

Reports of Marathon Runners that crossed finish line and continued to run to Mass General Hospital to give blood to victims

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i realize this opens me to ridicule, but for those who are having trouble dealing with the negativity, mr. rogers (of all people) is quoted as,

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.'"

That does help, thanks.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NBCSN26m

Reports of Marathon Runners that crossed finish line and continued to run to Mass General Hospital to give blood to victims

unbelievable. that's what you won't hear regularly from the talking heads on tv.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jams said:

@mellotronrules said:

That does help, thanks.

It's a good thing to hear. Mr. Rogers is the man. Nobody should ridicule you for something like this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@NBCSN26m

As cute as that is, they'd probably have got there faster in a car.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#124  Edited By ShaggE

Fuck anyone who ridicules you for that, it's a great quote and totally relevant.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snail: @selfconfessedcynic: I suppose you're both right. I just wanted to express that so far in 2013, more terrible events have occurred than I remember in the same span of time in previous years. I guess I shouldn't condemn all of humanity just yet, especially since there are always heart-warming stories of aid to accompany bad news.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Ghostiet

@peasantabuse said:

@NBCSN26m

I don't care they could get there faster by car. This is some empowering shit.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@jams said:

@mellotronrules said:

That does help, thanks.

I saw helpers immediately after the explosion. That was the first thing I noticed.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By jiggajoe14

@NBCSN26m

Comforting to see things like this during tragedy.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Who does such a thing?

I would be pissed, if it was my life blown to shambles by a random act of violence like that. What a waste.

My condolences.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By jiggajoe14

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/323912295220641792

so much crazy info going around. Always have to stop myself and be patient with news.

MikeydCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 7

anyone blaming this on video games yet? Fox news maybe?

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@mellotronrules: Many of us are incredibly lucky to have had Fred Rogers as a part of our young lives. I consider this one of the greatest things currently available on the internet.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So... every year, the majority of bombs that get set (or threatened, or planned) in America are set by Americans, for various reasons. Beginning any speculations with the assumption this was foreign seems quite irrational. Especially when you add up the historical date and location it seems a lot more likely that this is some form of anti-government protest.

That was my first thought when I saw all this has happened, I guess we will find out in due course. Still nasty shit whoever did it.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Sanity

This stuff is bullshit, i hope whoever did this hangs.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By DrDarkStryfe
No Caption Provided

No matter what tragedy befalls a person's life, Fred Rogers always had an answer that would make you feel better, as @mellotronrules already brought up.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By leebmx

@jams said:

@tobiass said:

From the very little I understand about the situation there has been a lot of trouble with right-wing white supremisist groups, mainly in Texas and down south recently. They assassinated a DA and his wife recently and a state prosector a little before that. It was my first thought that they may have something to do with it - but I am just speculating.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oraknabo: absolutely. he's certainly one of the most good-natured souls the country has ever produced.

@drdarkstryfe: right on. watch any video, and as soon as the bomb goes off you see individuals reversing direction and jumping in to see what can be done.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#138  Edited By bassman2112

I live but a few blocks away from where everything happened, and have been hosting people who needed somewhere to rest.

It is hard for me to express just how serious and somber the atmosphere around here has been. A minute before the explosion, there were jubilant cries of encouragement and cowbells edging the runners through their last stretch; but a minute after, people were scrambling and screaming. You may look at this through a lens, but a lot of us are living it. I saw this (NSFL) guy being rolled through the streets, and was struck with a feeling of absolute disbelief.

Why here? Why now?

I just hope everyone (including the fellow linked) ends up being okay, and I can't help but be beyond sorrowful for those who lost their lives today.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By leebmx

That's actually just a little bit heart-warming.Who is Mr Rogers?

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#140  Edited By gaminghooligan

@bassman2112: you deserve so much for what you're doing, but sadly all I can provide is thanks. Please duder stay safe, my thoughts are with all you guys up there in Boston.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bassman2112: you deserve so much for what you're doing, but sadly all I can provide is thanks. Please duder stay safe, my thoughts are with all you guys up there in Boston.

Agreed. Stay strong.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#142  Edited By breadfan

I live in Massachusetts. My uncle was running in the marathon today and some other family members were there to watch. It was quite frightening as nobody could get a hold of them for about an hour after the explosions took place. Luckily everyone is okay, but it is disturbing to have some sort of personal stake in an event like this.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#144  Edited By jakob187

@turambar said:

@jams said:

@tobiass said:

You missed the assassination of two (or was it more) state attorneys and prosecutors in the south, and the Aryan nation is suspected to be responsible.

They found the person who murdered prosecutors McClelland and Hasse as well as McClelland's wife. That has been linked to Eric Williams, a former Justice of the Peace. They have dropped the whole Aryan Brotherhood link. It's been some very concerning news locally here in Texas due to a lot of tension about much of the Aryan Brotherhood in this area going through a lot of territory wars with cartel as well as drug pushers that are getting hit with prosecution and arrests.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikeydct said:

anyone blaming this on video games yet? Fox news maybe?

Maybe someone will blame Call of Duty 3 for its scene of a little girl getting blown up. Giving evil people bad ideas.

(actually, a news personality blaming that seems too possible...)

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Turambar

@jakob187 said:

@turambar said:

@jams said:

@tobiass said:

They found the person who murdered prosecutors McClelland and Hasse as well as McClelland's wife. That has been linked to Eric Williams, a former Justice of the Peace. They have dropped the whole Aryan Brotherhood link. It's been some very concerning news locally here in Texas due to a lot of tension about much of the Aryan Brotherhood in this area going through a lot of territory wars with cartel as well as drug pushers that are getting hit with prosecution and arrests.

Thanks for the update.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By PeasantAbuse
Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keep the politics out of this thread. You people make me sick. A tragedy occurs and you use it to jump on someone or something.

Also, this is why I love @selfconfessedcynic

said:

@snail said:

@zoozilla said:

I agree - it is far easier to destroy than it is to create or protect. If anything, the aftermath of this horrible event has highlighted some of humanity's greatness.

Bomb squad personnel

Let alone the random small acts of humanity such as a story of a cook who tied his apron around a woman's leg to help stop the bleeding.

Beyond that there was the good work which went into the organisation of the Boston marathon, including (from an Aussie perspective) a great campaign to help some indigenous Australians live out their dreams of running the marathon.

I just hope the men and women in the US intelligence agencies can track down who did this - assuming the bastards don't step forward.

Tragic events are awful, but don't let the act blind you to the fact that in times of crisis humans are pretty amazing about rallying together to help one another.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keep the politics out of this thread. You people make me sick. A tragedy occurs and you use it to jump on someone or something.

Also, this is why I love @selfconfessedcynic

said:

@snail said:

@zoozilla said:

Bomb squad personnel

Tragic events are awful, but don't let the act blind you to the fact that in times of crisis humans are pretty amazing about rallying together to help one another.

On top of all the things you mentioned, several of the marathon runners who just completed the marathon kept running to Mass general (close by) in order to donate blood...for every bad act there are several good ones.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#150  Edited By BoG

What the fuck. What motivates this sort of action? When I saw the video, I almost cried. These events are incomprehensible. To make it all worse, 42 people were killed in bombings in Iraq today (in an unrelated tragedy). Why are innocent people targeted?

The Boston Marathon has always been a goal of mine, and it still is. I've been five minutes off of qualification for the past 5 years and 10 marathons I've run. had I qualified, I doubt I would have been there today, but it really helps me understand what the setting is, how it must feel. It's awful. The Boston Marathon doesn't represent anything but the physical achievements of people. Everyone, first or last, is a winner. The run is an event of togetherness. Did you see the flags of all the nations at the finish line? It doesn't matter where you're from when you run, you've done it. And somebody had to spoil that today. What a tragedy.