• 61 results
#1 Edited by CastroCasper (1301 posts) -

CNN Report

"An explosion ripped through a fertilizer plant Wednesday night in the town of West, Texas, sending a massive fireball into the sky and causing dozens of injuries, officials said.

A hospital in nearby Waco, Texas, has been told to anticipate 100 injured people coming in from the fertilizer plant area, an official at the medical facility said.

Glenn Robinson, CEO of Hillcrest Hospital, said a field triage station was being set up on a football field near the plant some 18 miles north of Waco after the Wednesday night explosion."

Reports are that Firefighters were already on the scene to fight a fire at the plant when the explosion occurred. Houses leveled, apartments and nursing homes destroyed. Possibility of ammonia in the air. Not much has been confirmed yet, these are all reports.

Video of explosion

Edit:

According to a press conference just hosted:

"50 to 75 houses have been destroyed completely. Almost everyone has been evacuated. The plant is still smoldering, and more chemicals remain on site, firefighters unable to work on the fire as of now."

The explosion was registered as a 2.1 earthquake, says the USGS.

Seems bad, absolutely terrifying. My thoughts and condolences to all those affected.

For those of you with loved ones in West, Hillcrest has released an official hotline for people looking for loved ones possibly injured in West. The number is 254-202-1100.

**Also, the video under this post, while not graphic, contains disturbing content. You may want to mute it. **

#2 Posted by Milkman (16677 posts) -

Fuck.

#3 Edited by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Fuck. CNN is saying people are trapped inside.

#5 Edited by TruthTellah (8826 posts) -

I've been through West, Texas. Known for its kolaches. It's just south of where I live in Dallas. My local hospital has sent emergency help down there. It's truly unbelievable. The Emergency Director of West, Texas has estimated some 60 or 70 dead and hundreds injured. Many of them firefighters who were trying to put out the fire at the plant before it exploded. Wiped out nearly four square blocks of the town, and unfortunately, due to fumes and fears over further tank explosions, they have had to evacuate. Which means those who may still be alive can't be saved right now.

And we're expecting thunderstorms tonight which may just make things worse.

#6 Edited by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -

That was insanely violent.

#7 Edited by TruthTellah (8826 posts) -

Those at the temporary triage at the football field have been evacuated, as chemical fumes from the plant were too much of a threat. The whole town is being evacuated now.

#8 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (4971 posts) -

What is up with the world these days

#9 Edited by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

That smoke's really, really bad to breathe in. Fucking awful shit happening all over the place.

Holy shit, I was not at all expecting that explosion. Terrifying.

#10 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

@milkman said:

I'm hearing some say there about 60-70 dead. Christ.

Here's a link.

Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck. Fuck. I hope that report is wrong. I PRAY it is.

#11 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1430 posts) -

I live in Dallas, and hospitals are siphoning their resources to the scene. It's pretty bad.

#12 Edited by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

@milkman: I wish I hadn't seen that. The kid's reaction really gave me the chills.

#13 Edited by aquamarin (555 posts) -

Wow that explosion was serioussssssss. This is gonna be bad.

#14 Edited by mellotronrules (1192 posts) -

god, i hope something can be done. that was a massive explosion- fertilizer is naturally pretty volatile, right?

#15 Edited by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Condolences to my fellow Texans who have lost loved ones in this explosion. :(

#16 Posted by Tarsier (1057 posts) -

this is not acceptable.

#17 Posted by Dalai (7019 posts) -

First the Boston Marathon bombing, now this. When it rains, it pours.

#18 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

Any Texas duders should donate blood tomorrow. Sadly, it sounds like they'll need anything they can get. You'll be a real lifesaver.

#19 Edited by TruthTellah (8826 posts) -

It appears that the fertilizer plant had just been resupplied this morning by train. Meaning it was at its maximum capacity when the fire began, leading to the biggest explosion possible.

60 or 70 deaths seems very likely, considering around 20 workers at the plant and multiple fire departments fighting the fire when the explosion occurred. Plus the retirement home down the street, apartments, and local homes within the four blocks that have been completely destroyed.

#20 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Any reports of this being an accident, or was it intentional? I'm hoping it is just some awful coincidence.

#21 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

@breadfan said:

Any reports of this being an accident, or was it intentional? I'm hoping it is just some awful coincidence.

It's too soon to tell. Sounds like they're focusing on evacuating the entire town (around 2,600 people) right now.

#22 Edited by TruthTellah (8826 posts) -

@breadfan: From all I have seen from local news here in Texas, it is being treated as an accidental chemical fire that lead to an explosion of their main high-pressure anhydrous ammonia container.

Of course, we won't know for sure until investigators can safely enter the area.

#23 Edited by JasonR86 (9659 posts) -

@dalai said:

Just about to say this. Fucking shit. Those poor people.

#24 Posted by TruthTellah (8826 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

@dalai said:

Just about to say this. Fucking shit. Those poor people.

Just a little while ago, I heard my local hospital's helicopter fly over. Every hospital in central and north Texas is sending help. It's surreal.

#25 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

Anyone know if I can donate blood to, say, Red Cross and request it goes to Texas? Because I'm across the country but I'd like to be able to do something.

#26 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Jesus fucking christ.

#28 Edited by CastroCasper (1301 posts) -

"50 to 75 houses have been destroyed completely. Almost everyone has been evacuated. The plant is still smoldering, and more chemicals remain on site, firefighters unable to work on the fire as of now."

#29 Edited by Stonyman65 (2680 posts) -

The report I just read from CBS a few minutes ago say 60+ dead with more on the way, over a hundred wounded.

This is BAD. Apparently it leveled the whole area. I hope to god this was just some crazy freak accident. After what happened in Boston and now this.....

#30 Posted by c_rakestraw (844 posts) -

I wish I hadn't watched that video. That poor kid's terrified voice is going to haunt me for days.

Hope they can get this all under control soon. What a disaster.

#31 Posted by Stonyman65 (2680 posts) -

@c_rakestraw: I hope so. The fires are bad enough, but with all those toxic gasses too.... That's even worse than the explosions to an extent.

#32 Edited by TruthTellah (8826 posts) -

As seen from aerial footage, the local nursing home and an apartment building were destroyed as well. And the firefighters fighting the plant fire appear to have not been spared by the blast. Hopefully the fumes can dissipate thanks to the thunderstorm tonight and allow rescue personnel to get in soon.

#33 Edited by Demoskinos (14777 posts) -

Yeah, I'm not going to watch that video. I'll just take everyone's word for it that its bad. Fuck man....all those people and their houses. Fucking awful.

#34 Edited by mrfluke (5131 posts) -

Fucking awful,

............and of course we got a politician being a Prick about the whole situation.

#35 Edited by gkhan (424 posts) -

@breadfan said:

It's probably an accident. Plants and factories (and houses in general) catch on fire, and when it happens to a fertilizer plant, things can go real bad. Doesn't make it any less horrifying, but probably it wasn't intentional.

#36 Edited by TruthTellah (8826 posts) -

@demoskinos: Understandable. That video is terrifying. Father and daughter just recording the fire, not expecting everything to just explode.

Fortunately, the local Department of Safety have said they need no more help. There is plenty of emergency help at the scene now.

(though, his descriptions of the scene are horrific. "Just upright skeletons of buildings"* from the DoS director. He said he wouldn't venture to estimate the deathtoll.)

*I initially thought he said "Just upright skeletons", turned out he said "of buildings" after that.

#37 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

Fucking awful,

............and of course we got a politician being a Prick about the whole situation.

He's a University professor, actually. And the website you linked to is, to be fair, no better and many times worse than he is. They're both blowhard assholes though and should be ignored at all costs.

#38 Posted by mrfluke (5131 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

Fucking awful,

He's a University professor, actually. And the website you linked to is, to be fair, no better and many times worse than he is. They're both blowhard assholes though and should be ignored at all costs.

ah my mistake then,

still surprised thats the shit the dude would say at a time like this.

#39 Posted by Milkman (16677 posts) -

@mrfluke: There's really nothing political about that statement. Also, that site is complete garbage.

#40 Edited by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Jesus fucking holy shit, that video is jaw droppingly terrifying. That explosion was enormous, god damn. My hopes are with all the folks in the area or with loved ones down there.

#41 Posted by MEATBALL (3197 posts) -

Wow, that video was terrifying.

#42 Edited by mrfluke (5131 posts) -

@milkman: yea my mistake on linking to that site,

#43 Edited by TruthTellah (8826 posts) -

@mrfluke: That site and the guy are assholes. Have some dang respect.*

*targeted toward them, not you

#44 Posted by TruthTellah (8826 posts) -

Wow, CNN showed some pictures of local damage, and just seeing this apartment building, I have to believe there will be many casualties from this.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/ireport/sm/prod/2013/04/18/WE00939340/2450727/facebook1462986967jpg-2450727_p9.jpg

#45 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Almost 20 years on from the Waco massacre to the date, Timmy McVeigh bombed OKC with a fertilizer bomb as some sort of (barbaric) protest against what happened in Waco.

All these factors coming together it's hard not to be suspicious.

#46 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

Fucking awful,

Scum bags will say anything to make people angry, all they care about is the attention and book sales, you see the same thing with Ann Coulter, Alex Jones and Rush Limbaugh as well.

#47 Posted by TruthTellah (8826 posts) -

@bourbon_warrior: Not to mention McVeigh used ammonium nitrate. Though, this still seems like an accident. It didn't start as an explosion; it just started as a reported fire at the highly-compressed anhydrous ammonia tank that had been refilled today. The firefighters weren't able to get it under control, and it appears that the anhydrous ammonia ignited, leading to the explosion on display.

Usually, a plant like this shouldn't be at risk of an explosion, but something must have gone wrong for that to happen.

#48 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@bourbon_warrior: Not to mention McVeigh used ammonium nitrate. Though, this still seems like an accident. It didn't start as an explosion; it just started as a reported fire at the highly-compressed anhydrous ammonia tank that had been refilled today. The firefighters weren't able to get it under control, and it appears that the anhydrous ammonia ignited, leading to the explosion on display.

Usually, a plant like this shouldn't be at risk of an explosion, but something must have gone wrong for that to happen.

Just wouldn't surprise me if the plant was deliberately sabotaged is all I'm saying, it's the world we seem to live in now. Was reading up on Waco and McVeigh the other day, so all that info was fresh in my mind.

#49 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Holy shit, those pictures and videos are intense. No words...

#50 Edited by TruthTellah (8826 posts) -

@bourbon_warrior: Perhaps. We'll see once they're able to investigate. Hopefully that's not the case. Though, the plant owners may be criminally liable, as their original application for the plant appears to have contended that an explosion wasn't even possible. Which, well, is clearly not the case.