#1 Posted by Blubba (527 posts) -

said on this week's Bombcast that he heard Facebook was adding the ability to track who views your profile, photos, etc. Of course there have been a whole bunch of scams and fake rumors about this, but yo, we're talking about Jeff Gerstmann, I think he would know a thing or two about the internet.

Can somebody provide me a link to this information? I tried to do a Google search, but all it did was bring up a bunch of scams and bullshit Yahoo! Answers pages from 4 years ago.

#2 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

There just went my Tuesday nights. No more FB stalking for me.

#3 Edited by Blubba (527 posts) -

Haha, I know. Spring Break albums' views are going to nose dive.

Edit: If it is true.

#4 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

@Blubba said:

LOL

#5 Posted by YoThatLimp (1908 posts) -

Can a man not jerk it to FB photos with a quiet dignity anymore?

#6 Posted by Grillbar (1825 posts) -

so now i have to create a fake account and stalk the people who have dont disabled photos for people who are not friends, man this is gonna suck

#7 Posted by dudeglove (7841 posts) -

@Blubba: Jeff is talking through his ass. It's a scam. Facebook does not give you ANY way of finding out who has viewed your profile. Do not click any apps from friends claiming otherwise. Details here:

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/07/17/facebook-profile-viewer/

Do not get duped by this shit, people. Facebook doesn't vet apps.

#8 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@dudeglove said:

@Blubba: Jeff is talking through his ass. It's a scam. Facebook does not give you ANY way of finding out who has viewed your profile. Do not click any apps from friends claiming otherwise. Details here:

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/07/17/facebook-profile-viewer/

Do not get duped by this shit, people. Facebook doesn't vet apps.

But clicking your link is fine, right Mr. Random Guy On Internet That I Don't Know? :P
#9 Posted by Sweep (8859 posts) -

I have been looking for a reason to stop using facebook for a while. I know this is unlikely to actually happen, but if it does...

#10 Posted by HatKing (5947 posts) -

I've heard Facebook people say specifically that they can't provide that information to anybody because it violates some privacy acts, or something. Maybe they found a loop hole though. And I don't give a shit if people know I'm looking at their stuff. If they don't want me to see it, they should have closed their account.

#11 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@HatKing said:

I've heard Facebook people say specifically that they can't provide that information to anybody because it violates some privacy acts, or something. Maybe they found a loop hole though. And I don't give a shit if people know I'm looking at their stuff. If they don't want me to see it, they should have closed their account.

Yeah, I don't really get how it would be a bad thing. 
People upload their silly videos and photos for others to see, right. So them knowing who saw their latest photos isn't really a bad thing, is it?
#12 Posted by HatKing (5947 posts) -

@ZeForgotten: I guess it's that people are embarrassed they'll get caught looking at pictures of people they haven't talked to in years, exes or something. I don't know. It doesn't seem like much of a problem. Even still, I highly doubt this is actually going to happen.

#13 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@HatKing: That's only gonna be a problem when Facebook starts saying "Jonh Dudebro Santalover just spent 10 minutes wanking to your latest photo" 
I guess that right there is exactly what @Sweep fears :P
#14 Posted by HatKing (5947 posts) -

@ZeForgotten: Until this happens I'll just have to comment on the photos and inform the profile owner I was wanking to their picture.

#15 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@HatKing: Of course, just as a "thank you" to the uploader of said photos.
#16 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

@Blubba: Dude relax.

People have been saying that stuff forever. Jeff Gerstmann never claimed to be a social media expert, he just heard some shit that sounds plausible.

The thing is though Facebook is strictly against that. Because they know that would kill their business. They don't even like apps that claim to do that stuff and stomp out all that stuff when they see it pop up.

#17 Posted by Aegon (5610 posts) -

Everyone would delete their facebook accounts. That's not good for business.

#18 Posted by BrainSonata (105 posts) -

I heard Favebook is going to stop being free you guys.

#19 Posted by BrainSonata (105 posts) -
@BrainSonata
I heard Favebook is going to stop being free you guys.
Fucking lame. Mobile site needs an edit.
#20 Posted by RubberBabyBuggyBumpers (716 posts) -

like i have anything to worry about since the only thing outsiders can see is my display pic. everything else is completely locked off as "only me" or "friends only."

#21 Posted by NTM (7377 posts) -

I guess you'll know when you see people looking at your page right?

#22 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

well i "deleted" my profile. i put it in quotes because i know that it's not fully deleted.

well that would suck for the people who like to look at people's profiles and not say anything.

#23 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@Blubba said:

but yo, we're talking about Jeff Gerstmann, I think he would know a thing or two about the internet.

Why would you think that? The fact that it's coming from Jeff is more proof of its invalidity.

#24 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

The suits wouldn't ever be that dumb. Implementing that would drive people away in droves.

#25 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@Dexter_Morgan_ said:

There just went my Tuesday nights. No more FB stalking for me.

Well, shit. Can't stalk my non-existent exes now.

#26 Edited by august (3845 posts) -

It would destroy Facebook's entire business and they would never do it. Kind of surprised that wasn't obvious to Jeff.

#27 Posted by Tireyo (6413 posts) -

I'm going to get rid of my facebook as soon as I'm done with it... which is probably in August.

#28 Posted by Ottosmann (68 posts) -

@Blubba said:

Edit: If it is true.

Amen. But I doubt they'd do that. As it stands now there are a bunch of fake apps already out there that claim to do that shit even though they don't, which probably satisfies all the idiots who believe that they work.